Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 15 Dec 2017, 00:39
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
How do I get that DVD ejected? [SOLVED - MY SCREW-UP]
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]  
LenseOnLife

PostPosted: Fri 20 Oct 2017, 19:32    Post subject:  How do I get that DVD ejected? [SOLVED - MY SCREW-UP]
Subject description: After playing Video DVD - Puppy won't give it back to me

EDITED: Previous post mistakenly stated 'slacko' as OS - Should be Tahrpup

Hi,

I'm back - and so is the electricity - Yipee!!

At the moment I have Slacko installed and configured very close to how I want it to run. Still some small niggles which I hope can be ironed out but one that is really driving me crazy.

BACKGROUND: Fujitsu Siemens 2005 PC, 3GHz, 1GB RAM, 40GB HDD running Tahrpup 6.0.6, Linux 3.14.7. Single DVD for DVD / CD operation. Set to auto launch when media is detected.

When DVD or CD is inserted a window pops up saying that a DVD (or CD) has been detected and default is to 'Play' (other options being 'Mount' or 'Close'). So Return then launches the relevant default media player.

For the Video DVD it is VLC. It runs fine - menu, sound vision. All great. But, within VLC there is no eject option, if I press the EJECT button on the DVD it has no effect, if I close VLC then still EJECT botton has no effect. I end up having to power off system.

On the other hand, for an Audio CD, the wee window first says 'CD Audio Detected ...' with a default of 'Play'. This launches 'pCD - CD Audio Player' and the CD plays fine. There is an EJECT option which ejects the CD or if I terminate pCD and then press the Eject button on the DVD player - the CD ejects.

Any ideas how to get VLC to allow the DVD to be ejected or any suggestions on any other media player I could use or maybe wrong driver or .... ?????

Offhand I don't know what the DVD hardware is - and I can't find it easily since I've disabled just about everything to make the system robust Sad Is there an easy way to see hardware info by using the Console?

Any and all assistance greatly appreciated

Cheers for now,

Oliver

Last edited by LenseOnLife on Sun 22 Oct 2017, 01:31; edited 2 times in total
perdido

PostPosted: Fri 20 Oct 2017, 20:52    Post subject: Re: How do I get that DVD ejected
Subject description: After playing Video DVD - Puppy won't give it back to me

LenseOnLife wrote:
Hi,

I'm back - and so is the electricity - Yipee!!

At the moment I have Slacko installed and configured very close to how I want it to run. Still some small niggles which I hope can be ironed out but one that is really driving me crazy.

BACKGROUND: Fujitsu Siemens 2005 PC, 3GHz, 1GB RAM, 40GB HDD running Slacko 6.3.2. UEFI. Single DVD for DVD / CD operation. Set to auto launch when media is detected.

When DVD or CD is inserted a window pops up saying that a DVD (or CD) has been detected and default is to 'Play' (other options being 'Mount' or 'Close'). So Return then launches the relevant default media player.

For the Video DVD it is VLC. It runs fine - menu, sound vision. All great. But, within VLC there is no eject option, if I press the EJECT button on the DVD it has no effect, if I close VLC then still EJECT botton has no effect. I end up having to power off system.

On the other hand, for an Audio CD, the wee window first says 'CD Audio Detected ...' with a default of 'Play'. This launches 'pCD - CD Audio Player' and the CD plays fine. There is an EJECT option which ejects the CD or if I terminate pCD and then press the Eject button on the DVD player - the CD ejects.

Any ideas how to get VLC to allow the DVD to be ejected or any suggestions on any other media player I could use or maybe wrong driver or .... ?????

Offhand I don't know what the DVD hardware is - and I can't find it easily since I've disabled just about everything to make the system robust Sad Is there an easy way to see hardware info by using the Console?

Any and all assistance greatly appreciated

Cheers for now,

Oliver

Hi Oliver,
Make sure the CD disc gets unmounted, then try the button on the CD.

If that does not work then Linux has the eject command that can be run from terminal (the command prompt)
https://www.lifewire.com/eject-linux-command-4095044
According to that web page the following should eject a cd
Code:
eject -r

Should help for not having to reboot.
If the eject command works, you can make a little script and put it on the desktop and click when you want to eject.

bigpup

PostPosted: Sat 21 Oct 2017, 01:38    Post subject:  

Quote:
VLC there is no eject option

There is an eject button in VLC, but kind of hidden.

It is located in the media>open disc.....>Disk option window.
May have to select the correct Disc Device, but usually /dev/dvd is correct and already selected.
see image below

You can also have a icon on the bottom toolbar to go to this disk option window directly.
Tools>Customize Interface>Main toolbar
Drag and drop the open icon to the line 2 toolbar.
capture1443.png
 Description   
 Filesize   41.87 KB
 Viewed   89 Time(s)

capture1443.png

capture18258.png
 Description   
 Filesize   12.63 KB
 Viewed   90 Time(s)

capture18258.png

bigpup

PostPosted: Sat 21 Oct 2017, 01:52    Post subject:  

Quote:
if I close VLC then still EJECT button has no effect.

The disk drive is still mounted.
You have to unmount it.
Right click on the desktop icon for the DVD drive.
Select unmount.

Be careful to not select remove item.
That will remove the drive icon from the desktop.

Trick.
Right click on the name under the icon.
That will put the mouse pointer over something other than remove item.

LenseOnLife

PostPosted: Sat 21 Oct 2017, 16:32    Post subject:  

Hi,

Thanks for those replies - with all this help I should soon have a system that can be deployed. Just a reminder, the users will be 'elderly' people who have been institutionalised all their lives, have never used a computer and have varying levels of mental (dis)abilities.

Currently there is one person in partcular who will get the first one, he is in his 70s, extremely inquisitive so we want to limit his ability to break the system.

The solution of ejcting from within VLC dorks and thanks for pointing out where it is - so that a great step forward. I'd tried doing it through the Console but thatdidn't work and the DVD drive icon won't be on the desktop - so VLC seems to be the solution.

However, it is a bit complicated gaining access to the Eject command in VLC and an earlier post said something about dragging it to the task bar? Due to my lack of experience / expertise in that area I couldn't understand at all what was being suggested. Any chance of a more detailed explanation that this geriatric could get his head around.

Thanks again all

Oliver
mostly_lurking

PostPosted: Sat 21 Oct 2017, 19:13    Post subject:  

perdido wrote:
According to that web page the following should eject a cd
Code:
eject -r

LensOnLife wrote:
I'd tried doing it through the Console but thatdidn't work

You have to specify what you want to eject:
Code:
eject -r /dev/sr0
or just
Code:
eject /dev/sr0

This is assuming that your DVD drive is named "sr0". Change it if it's something different.

It will probably unmount the disk automatically before ejecting it; if not, do this first:
Code:
umount /dev/sr0
bigpup

PostPosted: Sun 22 Oct 2017, 00:29    Post subject:  

Quote:
However, it is a bit complicated gaining access to the Eject command in VLC. an earlier post said something about dragging it to the task bar? Due to my lack of experience / expertise in that area I couldn't understand at all what was being suggested. Any chance of a more detailed explanation that this geriatric could get his head around.

That was dragging it to the toolbar at the bottom of the VLC window.
But it still opens up the disc options window and you indicate that would be a problem to use.

LenseOnLife

PostPosted: Sun 22 Oct 2017, 01:30    Post subject:  

Hi bigpup,

"I have found, in trying to help people, that the things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem." Well, that WAS the solution to the problem!

Last night I decided to start cleaning up the system and get back to something closer to what I originally installed and started looking at packages that I'd added. Couldn't recognize a fraction of them - so I deinstalled everything except firefox.

That eject problem has gone away Embarassed

Once again I messed up - my apologies to everyone who has come along to help, much appreciated. If it is any consolation, I have managed to get some new knowledge into the grey matter up top which should help me in the future life as a puppy Wink

Going to mark this as solved - and thanks again everyone.

Oliver
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]  
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Jump to: