JWMDesk-2.5

Window managers, icon programs, widgets, etc.
radky

#41 Post by radky »

JWM_themes_update-2.0.pet

- Forty (40) legacy JWM themes updated for jwm >= 2.3.0
- To check jwm version, enter the following in a terminal: jwm -v
- Pet available in first post

[color=blue][b][url=http://www.smokey01.com/radky/PupMates.html]PupMates[/url][/b][/color]

OscarTalks

#42 Post by OscarTalks »

Here is JWM with WindowStyle decorations="motif"
Version 2.3.6 or 2.3.7 (snapshot 1592 compiled) in Dpup Stretch.
Colours and width emphasised a bit for display purposes here.
Attachments
jwm-decorations-motif.jpg
JWM with motif decorations
(78.67 KiB) Downloaded 905 times
Oscar in England

radky

#43 Post by radky »

OscarTalks wrote:Here is JWM with WindowStyle decorations="motif"
Hi OscarTalks,

The next release of JWMdesk (2.3) will support optional Motif theming of desktop windows in jwm >= 2.3.1. :)
[color=blue][b][url=http://www.smokey01.com/radky/PupMates.html]PupMates[/url][/b][/color]

radky

#44 Post by radky »

JWMDesk-2.3
- Add option to change the jwm menu button (icon and label)
- Add support for Motif theming of windows (ornate handles) in jwm >= 2.3.1 (thanks OscarTalks)
- Add support for the new Woof-CE approach to resizing the menu of jwm
- Add button to view and quickly identify current desktop themes (Background, GTK theme, JWM theme, Icons and Cursor)
- Adjust GUI and add Menu tab for improved accessibility to desktop options
- Adjust compatibility with recent changes in Woof-CE

radky

#45 Post by radky »

New Version

JWMDesk-2.4
- Adjust GUI for improved widget placement and visibility
- Add support for clicktitle and sloppytitle window focus options to raise a window to the top layer only when the title or border of the window is clicked (requires JWM vgit >= 1580 or standard release >= 2.3.7)
- Add support for adjustable spacing of tray notification icons (requires JWM vgit >= 1578 or standard release >= 2.3.7)
- Update desksetup.sh for BK's Quirky/Easy Linux
- Bugfix: Motif theming of windows was shown incorrectly as an option for developmental releases of JWM prior to vgit 1126 (22-Jun-2015)

tallboy

#46 Post by tallboy »

Clicktitle and sloppytitle window focus sounds exciting!

But radky, it seems you have access to info that we ordinary mortals don't have! Do you have a list of translations from the JWM vgit numbers to ordinary release numbers?
Why cannot the title of the vgit JWM contain a standard version number as well?

tallboy
True freedom is a live Puppy on a multisession CD/DVD.

radky

#47 Post by radky »

Hi tallboy,

In a terminal, you can type jwm -v to check the current numerical version of jwm. The value will depend on the type of release, either developmental (vgit) or official (standard).

When launched, JWMDesk checks the current numerical version of jwm (vgit or standard) and constructs the GUI with options supported by that version. The distinction is important since some Pups have vgit versions (such as the venerable vgit-976 of BK's current Quirky) while others have offical releases (such as 2.3.2 in the current Slacko and 2.3.6 in the current Tahrpup).

For the most part, I use the following changelog to determine the developmental (vgit) or standard version that supports a given option or feature of jwm.

http://joewing.net/projects/jwm/snapshots/ChangeLog

Thanks for your comments!

tallboy

#48 Post by tallboy »

Thank you, radky, the changelog link was really helpful.
True freedom is a live Puppy on a multisession CD/DVD.

rufwoof

#49 Post by rufwoof »

Just found/seen this jwm-settings-manager that may be of interest.

backi

#50 Post by backi »

Hi rufwoof !

Very interesting ....... exactly what i always missed in Jwm.
This could raise JWM into another higher Category .
Hope someone will integrate it into Jwm as a new future Improvement/standard .Needs more public relation IMHO.

rufwoof

#51 Post by rufwoof »

Hi Backi.

Don't have much use for a jwm gui configurator myself, I have it all in the single .jwmrc file, including startup commands. I use the inbuild (default) gtk2 theme, so no themes either. Just a few tweaks in a manually created ~/.gtkrc-2.0. The default inbuilt Raleigh theme isn't particularly good looking, but neither is it particularly ugly, and it just works well and keeps things nice and simple (and fast).

I had been using pcmanfm to provide desktop icon management, so fundamentally a base of xorg, jwm, pcmanfm, but have reverted to using Rox again just for the desktop icons as I find it easier to cater for different wallpapers and icons on each desktop using rox.

Neither do I have much of a MENU content, just logout, reboot, shutdown. So no jwm-menu changes to be managed. Basically I just use desktop icons to launch programs - grouping them into different desktops, or menu key to run gmrun and type in the name of the program to be run. I have brightside installed so a mouse into the top left corner toggles showing/hiding the desktop ... so a bit gnome3 like but where the pages of applications are arranged as I like (different desktops). Simple, but effective.

A problem would be that Joe still develops jwm, such that any gui configurator would as you say ideally have to be more of a integrated/combined project. Nor would it likely get into the Debian main (stable) repository any time soon, and I use that exclusively now for the benefits that brings (everything from their main repository works well for me). The only exception is that I did use their backports for jwm (so the latest version). Booted frugally and its really really quick, even on my 10 year old Phenom 4 core 2GB. I very much like the single provider all encompassing setup, especially for oldstable (Jessie) as the entire repository seems to have most of the problems/bugs ironed out ... and just works. With everything from development (compiling), video editing, audio editing, office suite .... etc. around a 650MB main sfs. I suspect many pup's would exceed that with less functionality, after devx and other sfs's are counted. And not include the quick security updates/fixes single provider/maintainer of the complete package that Debian provides. My intent is to stick with Jessie, hardware permitting, until Stretch rolls into being oldstable, at which time I might 'upgrade' to that. In effect running 2 years behind the crowd, letting them iron all the problems out and provide a legacy of references/documentation.

radky

#52 Post by radky »

JWMDesk-2.4.1
- Adjust compatibility with ptheme in jwm_config desktop environment (thanks peebee)

backi

#53 Post by backi »

Hi radky !
Cool job . :D
This is what i missed for JWM all the Time .
Thanks a lot !

belham2

#54 Post by belham2 »

backi wrote:Hi radky !
Cool job . :D
This is what i missed for JWM all the Time .
Thanks a lot !
Hi Backi (and Radky),

I am having a major brain lapse: what is "ptheme"? :oops: Is it a a separate program/script like pclock or pfind or prun or pmirror or parchive or psync or......etc? Or is 'ptheme' just shorthand lingo for 'puppy themes' available for puppy overall? :?: Thanks.

P.S. Thanks, Radky, for the latest JWM iteration

radky

#55 Post by radky »

backi wrote:
This is what i missed for JWM all the Time.
Thanks a lot !
You are welcome backi. :)

---

belham2 wrote:
what is ptheme?
pTheme is the desktop theming module of zigbert's jwm_config desktop, for example, in Slacko.

radky

#56 Post by radky »

JWMDesk-2.4.2
- Bugfix: in some scenarios, JWMDesk did not restart after creating or deleting an accessory launchbar (thanks 666philb)

radky

#57 Post by radky »

radky

#58 Post by radky »

JWMDesk-2.4.3
- Add option to change color of retrovol/pnmixer speaker icon (JWMDesk -> Tray tab)
- Add critical desksetup.sh update (Desk Icon Setup) to support recent changes in Woof-CE
- Add puppy-white.svg icon as an option for the jwm menu button (thanks 666philb)
Last edited by radky on Wed 31 Oct 2018, 18:09, edited 1 time in total.

bigpup

#59 Post by bigpup »

Thanks for keeping this updated!!
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

rek769

JWMDesk subroutines not available to users of other WMs

#60 Post by rek769 »

The first thing I do with a new version of Puppy is to install Fluxbox and Tint2 panel in favor of JWM.

Now that many sub-routines that were once available without running JWMDesk are all encased inside that app, I am curious if anyone knows how to access the sub applications (background, gtk theme, icon theme, icon layout, icon manager, mouse cursor, screen font) directly.

It would be nice to have access to those items from inside fluxbox since JWMDesk will not run unless JWM is running also.

Thanks for any insight.