Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sat 18 Nov 2017, 00:55
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Misc
Hate Windows Love Puppy
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 2 of 2 [19 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2
Pelo

PostPosted: Sun 24 Sep 2017, 04:49    Post subject: 8geee, upload speed is like a turtle in France too  

8geee, upload speed is like a turtle in France too. That is one of the reasons why i don't Pupplish (publish ! ) my puplets. But only some pets.
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Sat 07 Oct 2017, 18:06    Post subject:  

tallboy wrote:
Your mouse has been moved.
Windows will now restart so this change can take effect!

^^^ Laughing Laughing

.....or (as I saw somewhere the other day):-

"Your keyboard has stopped responding. Please press any key to restart....."

Typical MyCrudSoft tact!

Mike. Wink

prehistoric

PostPosted: Sun 08 Oct 2017, 09:01    Post subject: M$ killing W7 and W8
Subject description: never mind XP, M$ is slow to fix vulnerabilities in 7

Remember how one draw for using a M$ system in a business was the stability it offers, (at least if you buy the Professional version.) I have been helping close friends who are tied to such machines at work with their home machines, but I drew the line at W10.

(My original concern was the "telemetry" which collected keystrokes, and changes to licensing which allowed them to do this and a range of other things to people dependent on their good will.)

One of these people attempted to upgrade a W7 Pro machine I had built to W10.

(He felt this machine was not ready for the scrap heap because it had a quad-core processor and 32 GB. of RAM, a substantial capital investment at the time. This was more memory than the video editing workstation he had at work. He could have used more cores, but the limitation on RAM was more important to him. I've offered to upgrade his graphics adapter several times, but he is happy with what he has even if it is slow on the latest games. He isn't interested in playing games, and he doesn't want the problems that go with the high-performance card he uses at work. He has literally spent days on the phone with the supplier.)

After about 5 hours on the phone with (real) official M$ support in India they gave up and gave him a free copy of W7 Ultimate to use. He then spent hours downloading and installing this and various drivers.

I might have been able to get around the new problems with W10, had I been willing, but it appears that you can't simply put W10 on a homebuilt Windows machine without information requiring you sign an NDA. M$ only wants to work with big companies that sign other contracts with them. This is in addition to all the new information they gain free from users of W10. They appear to want every part of their business to be a profit center, regardless of what they promised earlier.

It goes almost without saying that I had little trouble putting several versions of Linux on that platform, so there should not have been major compatibility issues.

Now we learn something I had suspected, but could not confirm. M$ isn't patching major vulnerabilities in W7 and W8 systems, even though the Professional versions of these are said to be supported until 2020.

Large numbers of W7 users have been quite happy with what they have, and unwilling to move on to the next level of the upgrade treadmill. They are now getting a lesson in corporate leverage, not to say extortion.

Ah, I hear you say, Linux is having trouble with serious kernel-level vulnerabilities too. I've already been able to simply replace the kernel in my system, and even compiled my own device drivers. I've also upgraded multiple browsers I use in the past few days without having to commit to a new OS, as with Edge. I also keep multiple browsers current, in case there is a sudden need to change. In the worst case, I can simply disable new OS features that bring vulnerabilities with them, and I am right back to where I was a couple years ago without any new puzzles to solve. At my age this is reassuring. Wink
ahoppin

PostPosted: Tue 17 Oct 2017, 02:53    Post subject:  

Microsoft's insistence on controlling machines we own actually started with XP. I kept on using Win98 and Win2K when XP came out with that obnoxious EULA.

Even today, a few XP and later programs will still run on Win2K, but most of those will also play nice with Wine.

I finally graduated to Puppy around 6-7 years ago. It does almost everything I need to do, and that includes more than the standard web, email, office stuff. Sometimes it takes a little more effort to get there than it did with Windows, now and then a LOT more, but I just consider that a learning experience.

I do have a weary old laptop with XP, and another, somewhat newer, with Win 7. Bought both used, so I personally never agreed to anything with MS. I use one or the other for those rare situations (a few times a year) in which Wine falls on its face and there's no suitable Linux application.

I won't let either Win laptop have anything to do with Redmond. The older one has no built-in wifi card, and the newer one has a hardware switch for wifi and bt. I shuttle files to and from them via usb stick sneakernet. They never download anything, and since they're never on the net they don't need security updates anyway. Take that, Bill Gates.

Doesn't this tinfoil hat make me look stylish? Smile
Page 2 of 2 [19 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Misc
Jump to: