X-Slacko Slim 4.4r49 (unique, stable, and flexible)

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Sage

#621 Post by Sage »

It still doesn't work, but you are on the right track - probably. The error messages have changed.
Goes straight into 'Loading vmlinuz.. EDD: Errorreading sector 77771

...more error messages, then

'Decompressing Linux...
Xz-compressed data is corrupt

-- System halted

I'm no expert in coding, but it would seem expedient to compare r57 with r54 which works perfectly!

mistfire

#622 Post by mistfire »

@Sage it looks like the problem lies on the init script. I will try another release

UPDATE:

Some questions for you:

Did you try to check the MD5 Checksum of the ISO file? If it is matched does your RAM memory working fine? If both are fine try to use other disc media to burn the iso image

Sage

#623 Post by Sage »

Sorry to disappoint you, misty. My d/l s are fine, my mem. and machines are all OK. Same errors on all media. Bear in mind I have access to ~30 fully functional machines of all different types at any one time. Furthermore, I keep an r54 disc at hand to be sure it's the SW not the HW having issues!

mistfire

#624 Post by mistfire »

Well in that case @Sage, Can you try these procedures (if it is okay to you):

1. Boot x-slacko slim r54
2. Mount a partition and make a folder named puppylivecdbuild
3. Copy initrd.xz from r54 disc to puppylivecdbuild folder and unmount the r54 disc
4. Mount x-slacko slim r57 and copy all the contents to puppylivecdbuild folder except initrd.xz
5. Run Puppy Remaster CD and select the partition where puppylivecdbuild folder is located
6. If the remaster asked to use it again. Click YES.
7. Follow other instructions until you reached to burn to disc or make an image file. (Its upon to you to make an image first and burn to disc or burn to disc right away)
8. Then test the disc that you created by booting it.
Last edited by mistfire on Sat 30 Sep 2017, 05:12, edited 1 time in total.

belham2

#625 Post by belham2 »

Hi Mistfire,

Hey, have a philosphical question, sort of: how small (in ISO mb-size) do you think your X-Slacko-Slim could get if only Midori, a window manager, a file manager, a terminal, and PPM (in case anyone wants anything more) and noting else included except that which is/was necessary to bootup and get to the desktop run stuff? How small would it be, you think?

Reason I ask? I (and a few friends) have a lot of USB sticks lying around, that are somewhat old but still good. The problem is that they are all 125MB in size, which in reality works out to about ~112-115MB after you've formatted with fat and/or ext.

We are using currently ThinSlacko5.3.3t (from Micko), but it (and its components) are getting long in the tooth since stuff is dated from 2013. Is there any chance one lazy Sunday I could get you to give a go at your X-slacko-slim and release an ULTRA-X-Slacko-Slim? :wink: I think I wouldn't be the only one on murga interested in this. In the past, ThinSlacko (and Unicorn, by Phil) were two very, very popular releases on murga when it came to barebones pups that included what I listed above (essentially, it is an ultra-small browsing pup and that's it). Both were/are about 80-90mb ISOs, and were/are just fantastic. But like I said, they're getting a bit dated.

mistfire

#626 Post by mistfire »

belham2 wrote:Hi Mistfire,

Hey, have a philosphical question, sort of: how small (in ISO mb-size) do you think your X-Slacko-Slim could get if only Midori, a window manager, a file manager, a terminal, and PPM (in case anyone wants anything more) and noting else included except that which is/was necessary to bootup and get to the desktop run stuff? How small would it be, you think?

Reason I ask? I (and a few friends) have a lot of USB sticks lying around, that are somewhat old but still good. The problem is that they are all 125MB in size, which in reality works out to about ~112-115MB after you've formatted with fat and/or ext.

We are using currently ThinSlacko5.3.3t (from Micko), but it (and its components) are getting long in the tooth since stuff is dated from 2013. Is there any chance one lazy Sunday I could get you to give a go at your X-slacko-slim and release an ULTRA-X-Slacko-Slim? :wink: I think I wouldn't be the only one on murga interested in this. In the past, ThinSlacko (and Unicorn, by Phil) were two very, very popular releases on murga when it came to barebones pups that included what I listed above (essentially, it is an ultra-small browsing pup and that's it). Both were/are about 80-90mb ISOs, and were/are just fantastic. But like I said, they're getting a bit dated.
belham2 the actual current size of X-Slacko Slim is 150+ Mb (minus uefi boot image which is 10 Mb). If gstreamer, mplayer, midori browser, lynx, bluez, and some kernel modules is removed. It will go down to 100Mb or lower. You can make your own a smaller version of X-Slacko Slim by using the build kit that I released alongside with X-Slacko the link was in the first post of the thread.

belham2

#627 Post by belham2 »

mistfire wrote:
belham2 wrote:Hi Mistfire,

belham2 the actual current size of X-Slacko Slim is 150+ Mb (minus uefi boot image which is 10 Mb). If gstreamer, mplayer, midori browser, lynx, bluez, and some kernel modules is removed. It will go down to 100Mb or lower. You can make your own a smaller version of X-Slacko Slim by using the build kit that I released alongside with X-Slacko the link was in the first post of the thread.
Thanks, Mistfire. To be honest, I completely overlooked :oops: that you had the option for us to give a build a try. I just downloaded everything, setting it up now as "pristine" 'frugal' install, and am going to give it a go. My problem is that (in woof-CE and Ddog builds also), I always end up cutting too much out, not realizing it is needed for getting to the desktop, or setting the network up, or running the browser, things like that. I am good in the other direction----I can make builds nice & fat & dress 'em up purdy :wink: . Wish me luck.

mistfire

#628 Post by mistfire »

Good luck belham2 on your build. By the way there are some more big files on X-Slacko Slim it is up to you whether delete it or not.

photorec
testdisk
adb
fastboot
gir files
gtk docs
some xorg drivers

Sage

#629 Post by Sage »

Well in that case @Sage, Can you try these procedures (if it is okay to you):
Good news, misty! Took several attempts, but your procedure worked. What next?

LyFrost

#630 Post by LyFrost »

Hi,
Just wanted to ask a question about this distro since i'm used to XFCe DE :
Can i run this distro for Dev purpose ? (running IDE's like Eclipse (Java, Python, C/C++) - Brackets ...etc)
i'm searching for something lightweight and stable using XFCe DE and it seems this one might do the trick :)

mistfire

#631 Post by mistfire »

@Sage it means initrd is the culprit. I currently revising the initrd to fix that error

mistfire

#632 Post by mistfire »

@Lyfrost probably yes. For C/C++ programming, use devx sfs. The link was in the first post of this thread. And also download dev files when needed.

Volhout

barebones Xlacko Slim

#633 Post by Volhout »

@belham2

Not sure what your audience is for the USB sticks, but modern PC's (laptops) often require firmware for WIFI, and have nothing other than WIFI (or Bluetooth).
The size of the WIFI firmwares often exceed the size of the linux minimal image. And without firmwares, a browser does not have much functionality on laptops.

Look at Tinycore: the core is 17 Mbyte, with WIFI and all the firmwares it exceeds 100Mbyte (*) and 4 simple GTK1 window managers.

I will follow your challenge, but doubt it is usefull for anything other than older desktops. I really hope you succeed though !!!
Please keep SFS-on the fly option in.

Volhout.

LyFrost

#634 Post by LyFrost »

@Lyfrost probably yes. For C/C++ programming, use devx sfs. The link was in the first post of this thread. And also download dev files when needed.
Ok thanks for your quick response, i'll try it :)

mistfire

#635 Post by mistfire »

New X-Slacko Slim iteration released

Changes:
* New initrd. The initrd is based from the X-Slacko 4.2 initrd. It is more user friendly than before, it has improved resume from hibernation support, sfs mountpoint logging, and multisession logging for easy troubleshooting.

* Problem on loading multisession is fixed

* Bug on edit-initramfs on xz compression is fixed.

Download: http://www.mediafire.com/file/z1y7ph2w3 ... 4.2r58.iso
MD5 Checksum: b31cbab24520da682505877388dbbc43
Last edited by mistfire on Tue 10 Oct 2017, 04:59, edited 1 time in total.

mistfire

#636 Post by mistfire »

@Sage can you please test this latest release on your machine?

Sage

#637 Post by Sage »

Yes - doing...
Report here:
Nope! Sorry! - doesn't work. "....puppy_xslacko_4.2.sfs not found."
but the one I modified with your instructions still works well.

mistfire

#638 Post by mistfire »

@Sage can you please send me all the contents of /initrd/tmp folder from your sucessfully modified x-slacko slim live cd?

Sage

#639 Post by Sage »

Done - had a few moments.

Volhout

video driver

#640 Post by Volhout »

Dear mistfire,

Is it possible for you to include 'modesetting_drv.la' or 'modesetting_drv.so' into Xslacko Slim.
This is the video driver needed for Intel Atom N2600/2800 video.

It is located (in previous XSlacko's) in /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers
Maybe you can use the one from R54 (slightly different kernel 4.12.2 versus 4.12.8 in R58).

Dear Regards.

Volhout