Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 18 Oct 2017, 09:15
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
LxPupSc - Woof-CE, Slackware-Current, LXDE experiment
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 56 of 56 [837 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 54, 55, 56
belham2

PostPosted: Mon 02 Oct 2017, 04:48    Post subject:  

Hi Peebee,

Can you tell me what I did (or does it come like this?) that causes my laptop's "Up" arrow key (see pic below) to launch mtpaint-screensnapshot? This is driving me nuts. Laughing I don't want a screensnapshot; I want to use the "Up" arrow key for what it is intended for--moving the cursor up. Thus, I want to re-map the key, or disable it, and I cannot figure out which file in lxde/openbox (I'm not in jwm)---is it one of the two files in /root/.config/openbox, either 'lxde-rc.xml' or 'rc.xml'----where I can achieve this? I looked at both files, and I cannot see in them where the Up arrow key has been re-mapped to the mtpaint-screensnapshot launch? I found in jwm where mtpaint-screensnapshot is mapped to the "Print" keyboard key, but like I said, I'm not using jwm. I am always pretty much in the LxPupSc environment the way it comes out of the box, because the way you set everything up is ideal for me like it is. Thanks!

P.S. Thanks for latest LxPupSc delta update.
laptop-keyboard.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   163.04 KB
 Viewed   835 Time(s)

laptop-keyboard.jpg

belham2

PostPosted: Mon 02 Oct 2017, 06:06    Post subject:  

belham2 wrote:
Hi Peebee,

Can you tell me what I did (or does it come like this?) that causes my laptop's "Up" arrow key (see pic below) to launch mtpaint-screensnapshot? This is driving me nuts. Laughing I don't want a screensnapshot; I want to use the "Up" arrow key for what it is intended for--moving the cursor up. Thus, I want to re-map the key, or disable it, and I cannot figure out which file in lxde/openbox (I'm not in jwm)---is it one of the two files in /root/.config/openbox, either 'lxde-rc.xml' or 'rc.xml'----where I can achieve this? I looked at both files, and I cannot see in them where the Up arrow key has been re-mapped to the mtpaint-screensnapshot launch? I found in jwm where mtpaint-screensnapshot is mapped to the "Print" keyboard key, but like I said, I'm not using jwm. I am always pretty much in the LxPupSc environment the way it comes out of the box, because the way you set everything up is ideal for me like it is. Thanks!

P.S. Thanks for latest LxPupSc delta update.

Just wanted to followup on the question I posted above: figured this much out. One of the files in /root/.config/openbox is the rc.xml file & it seems to be involved in this problem (editing the lxde-rc.xml seems to do nothing). I found an entry in it for 'mtpaint' mapped to key "0x6F", whatever that is. Putting a # before all the lines for this entry mapping stopped 'mtpaint -s' from launching when hitting the "Up" key. But then the "Up" is no longer functional, does nothing. And the bigger problem is, on reboots, my changes to this 'rc.xml' are getting wiped and the launching of 'mtpaint -s' is back again on my "Up" arrow key. Crying or Very sad

Anyone can steer me in the right direction to fix this permanently? Thank you.

[Edit: fixed, made changes in both lxde-rc.xml & rc.xml, and both held with reboots. Also re-mapped this laptop's F2 thru F6 functions keys: now have working F2 (sound on/off), F3 (sound decrease), F4 (sound increase), F5 (redshiftgui-screen brightness decrease) and F6 (redshiftgui-screen brightness increase). And the "Up" arrow is now blessedly functioning as normal; goodbye to the 'mtpaint -s' launching madness Very Happy ]
Marv

PostPosted: Mon 02 Oct 2017, 11:25    Post subject:  

rcrsn51 wrote:
Hi Marv:

Just out of curiosity, if you didn't mount the share in YASSM and let gvfs handle everything, does it make a difference?

Bill
Sorry, I just saw this now. I did connect directly from PCManFM using gvfs and test. I get the same slow 3 minute or more transfer time for the 256Mb savefile. I 'think' that gvfs is the problem but I've checked its versions as well as libsmbclient etc. and they are all either the most recent or updating them gave no change in speeds. Kernel 4.13 did change the default cifs mount to SMB3 from SMB1 but locking my samba server to SMB1, SMB2, or SMB3 gives me no change in the speeds. I normally run with it locked to SMB3 to minimise negotiation and with strict allocate =yes. cli, rsync and Rox-Filer transfers always great no matter what the configuration. Thunar and PCManFM slow. The only common denominator I see is gvfs/kernel interaction but I'm kind of stuck there for now.

Jim

Pups currently in kennel Very Happy X-slacko 4.4 and X-tahr 2.0 for my users; LxPupSc,LxPupXenial & XFCE_XenialPup64 for me. All good pups indeed, and all running browsers, office etc. solely from SFS.

Last edited by Marv on Tue 03 Oct 2017, 17:59; edited 1 time in total
peebee

PostPosted: Tue 03 Oct 2017, 15:09    Post subject:  

belham2 wrote:
Can you tell me what I did (or does it come like this?) that causes my laptop's "Up" arrow key (see pic below) to launch mtpaint-screensnapshot

Hi - I don't see this problem on LxPupSc..... I checked with a pristine frugal install and the keys all worked as expected.

Was your install using an existing save folder? What had you installed? Have you done any theme changes in LXDE or in JWM?

muggins

PostPosted: Tue 03 Oct 2017, 17:37    Post subject:  

Quote:
Can you tell me what I did (or does it come like this?) that causes my laptop's "Up" arrow key (see pic below) to launch mtpaint-screensnapshot?

I also have this on my keyboard. I just edit /root/.config/openbox/rc.xml and
find the lines that call mtpaint and change it to:

Code:
<keybind key="111">
      <action name="Execute">
        <startupnotify>
          <enabled>true</enabled>
          <name>Print Screen</name>
        </startupnotify>
        <command>mtpaint -s</command>
      </action>
    </keybind>

Then restart window manager.
peebee

PostPosted: Fri 06 Oct 2017, 06:46    Post subject:  

Withdrawn - messes up Cups printing....

Interim delta to LxPupSc-17.10.21T-k64

tommy

PostPosted: Fri 06 Oct 2017, 09:10    Post subject:  

Hi,
I was searching for a recent kernel Puppy and I tried LxPupSc.

My main problem was:
Elantech touchpad not working at all in recent Puppies on an Asus F540S.

Till now I was using Fatdog64 7.10 (kernel 4.4) with an external Usb mouse.

Yesterday I tried LxPusSc, the 1st october release and ta-daaan! Touchpad works OOTB!!

I still have to test if everything works, what I found so far is:

at first wifi connection configuration, using the 'legacy' Network Wizard, a message appears warning that the module rtl8723be is reported NOT to work with WPA encryption. I added it as an exception and then I was able to connect with WPA2 encryption without a hitch. I will test frisbee to see if it complains about WPA as well.

Mouse cursor acts oddly, after opening Light web browser the 'default' pointer changed to an arrow with a grey cirle on its right, and it reverts to simple arrow only on start menu, on hyperlinks or on windows minimise - close buttons. On a console the arrow+circle changes to a vertical stick.

A thing that I love is: if no save session is required, the shutdown process doesn't wake up the sleeping (head parked) hard disc.
On other puppies, even if no partition is mounted and you don't want a to save the first session, a sleeping hard disc is reactivated during the shutdown process and you can hear the disc motor spin up for a second or two and then the PC shuts down. I hate this behaviour and LxPupSc is the only OS that leaves the hard disc off.

Thank you for the great work!
peebee

PostPosted: Sat 07 Oct 2017, 10:11    Post subject:  

2nd attempt - ghostscript reverted to 9.21

Interim delta to LxPupSc-17.10.21T-k64

- Kernel 4.13.5-lxpup64

- Slackware-Current to Sat Oct 7 02:53:31 UTC 2017

Marv

PostPosted: Sat 07 Oct 2017, 14:23    Post subject:  

LxPupSc-17.10.1T-k64 updated to LxPupSc-17.10.21T-k64 using the delta on the i5 laptop. md5sums ok, hardware summary here. Incorrect cpu current speeds are inxi. I saw the outright refusal to even consider change on github and thought it pretty rude.
Code:
# inxi -F
System:    Host: puppypc2638 Kernel: 4.13.5-lxpup64 x86_64 (64 bit)
           Desktop: LXDE (Openbox 3.6.1) Distro: LxPup-Sc 17.10.21
Machine:   Device: laptop System: FUJITSU product: LIFEBOOK S761 serial: R1Y00453
           Mobo: FUJITSU model: FJNB225
           UEFI [Legacy]: FUJITSU // Phoenix v: Version 1.17 date: 03/14/2012
Battery    CMB1: charge: 65.0 Wh 97.0% condition: 67.0/67.0 Wh (100%)
CPU:       Dual core Intel Core i5-2520M (-HT-MCP-) cache: 3072 KB
           clock speeds: max: 2501 MHz 1: 2491 MHz 2: 2491 MHz 3: 2491 MHz
           4: 2491 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Intel 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller
           Display Server: X.org 1.19.4 drivers: intel (unloaded: modesetting,vesa)
           tty size: 80x24 Advanced Data: N/A for root
Audio:     Card Intel 6 Series/C200 Series Family High Definition Audio Controller
           driver: snd_hda_intel
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.13.5-lxpup64
Network:   Card-1: Intel 82579LM Gigabit Network Connection (Lewisville)
           driver: e1000e
           IF: eth0 state: down mac: b0:99:28:cf:30:51
           Card-2: Qualcomm Atheros AR9287 Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express)
           driver: ath9k
           IF: wlan0 state: up mac: e0:ca:94:6f:ee:ee
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 64.0GB (25.5% used)
           ID-1: /dev/sda model: SAMSUNG_SSD_830 size: 64.0GB
RAID:      No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors:   None detected - is lm-sensors installed and configured?
Info:      Processes: 144 Uptime: 11 min Memory: 273.6/2778.6MB
           Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 2.3.8
#

Printing to my network (wired) HP4500 all-in-one is fine, SNS wireless connection fine, video resolution & glxgears speed good, touchpad and keyboard mapping good, brightness control and suspends fine. Slimjet 15.1.4.0 from OscarTalks SFS runs correctly. acpi_cpufreq governors checked, schedutil running currently. DVD/CD play not checked yet.

Two things of note on my samba throughput tests.
One is that a 256Mb savefile transfer using pcmanfm 'drag to copy' and a gvfs connection made directly from pcmanfm now matches the rsync speed at 37 seconds. Just done twice but with exactly the same numbers. That's great!
The second is that YASSM 4.1 and YASSM 2.9 no longer work. The search functions in 2.9 work but the mount fails in both. Worked fine in 17.10.1 and in 17.10.21 with the 4.13.4 kernel from 17.10.1 swapped into 17.10.21. It is a mount.cifs failure, summary below:

Code:
                         LxPup 17.10.21 with stock 4.13.5 kernel  (YASSM 4.1 fails) (manual mount fails)

# mount.cifs  //192.168.10.17/HouseShares  /mnt/tmp
Password for root@//192.168.10.17/HouseShares:
mount error(5): Input/output error
Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g. man mount.cifs)
#

LxPupSc 17.10.1 stock (YASSM 4.1 works) (files mount correctly manually)

#

LxPupSc 17.10.21 with 4.13.4 kernel swapped in  (YASSM 4.1 works) (files mount correctly manually)

#

Edit: I just went through the changelog for 4.13.5. There were a LOT of changes wrt CIFS and SMB, some of them walking back some of the SMB changes made recently. I'd say just let it settle, there's a pretty good chance it'll get sorted in one of the next releases. Took out a couple of my maybe too flippant remarks while I was here.

Edit2: Just to add, I locked to and unlocked my samba server from SMB3 and tried the various security options (sec=ntlm,ntlmv2,ntlmssp) in the mount.cifs command line. All with the same result. Also had a go in XFCE-xenialpup64 swapping in this 4.13.5 64b kernel with the same results. That pup has the same version 6.7 mount.cifs.

All for now,

Pups currently in kennel Very Happy X-slacko 4.4 and X-tahr 2.0 for my users; LxPupSc,LxPupXenial & XFCE_XenialPup64 for me. All good pups indeed, and all running browsers, office etc. solely from SFS.

Last edited by Marv on Sun 08 Oct 2017, 09:27; edited 1 time in total
rcrsn51

PostPosted: Sat 07 Oct 2017, 18:14    Post subject:  

Marv wrote:
Edit: I just went through the changelog for 4.13.5. There were a LOT of changes wrt CIFS and SMB, some of them walking back some of the SMB changes made recently.

That was my guess. Cifs is a kernel module and mount.cifs comes from the Samba project. The two need to be in sync.
peebee

PostPosted: Fri 13 Oct 2017, 03:47    Post subject:  

Interim delta to LxPupSc-17.10.22T-k64

- Kernel 4.13.6-lxpup64

- Slackware-Current to Tue Oct 10 18:08:31 UTC 2017

Marv

PostPosted: Sun 15 Oct 2017, 11:01    Post subject:  

peebee wrote:
Interim delta to LxPupSc-17.10.22T-k64

- Kernel 4.13.6-lxpup64

- Slackware-Current to Tue Oct 10 18:08:31 UTC 2017

Updated my 17.10.21 install referenced above to 17.10.12. No adverse changes seen in a brief test. No resolution yet in the mount.cifs/Cifs issue discussed 2 and 3 posts above. Watchful waiting advised.

Page 56 of 56 [837 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 54, 55, 56
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to: