Auto-build a Puppy iso; single script with optional gui

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
wiak

#181 Post by wiak »

@nilsonmorales and RSH:

Thanks for the NLS lang updates. Yes, it should be -i

As for data download size during build of say a xenialpup64, it's around 600MB (including testing branch .zip and huge kernel of around 70MB). Once the main files are all downloaded, rebuilding only involves re-download of Package lists - I'm not sure how many MBs that takes but not a lot (could be made optional of course).

I've re-uploaded ver 0.1.2 with -i instead of i but kept same version number.
Not adding any extra code at the moment.

wiak

LazY Puppy

#182 Post by LazY Puppy »

As for data download size during build of say a xenialpup64, it's around 600MB (including testing branch .zip and huge kernel of around 70MB).
Ok, thanks.

This sounds good, since I have limited prepaid high speed amount for down- and upload. So, I may try to build a Puppy using makepup - probably in October.
RSH

"you only wanted to work your Puppies in German", "you are a separatist in that you want Germany to secede from Europe" (musher0) :lol:

No, but I gave my old drum kit away for free to a music store collecting instruments for refugees! :wink:

Billtoo

#183 Post by Billtoo »

Hi

I tried running version 0.1.2 from tahrpup64 yesterday and it was working fine until it got to the ./3builddistro-Z step when it
went into a loop giving the same error over and over (I remember seeing something about gdkpixbuf) so I did ctrl-c to kill it,
it kept restarting so I restarted x, deleted the work directory and rebooted.
I was attempting to build xenialpup64 with it.

Thanks

wiak

Re: Auto-build a Puppy iso; single script with optional gui

#184 Post by wiak »

Billtoo wrote:Hi

I tried running version 0.1.2 from tahrpup64 yesterday and it was working fine until it got to the ./3builddistro-Z step when it
went into a loop giving the same error over and over (I remember seeing something about gdkpixbuf) so I did ctrl-c to kill it,

Thanks
Hi Billtoo,

I take it the issue wasn't fixed? I'll try it out later today to see if I can duplicate the problem. I also notice there have been a few main woof-CE script changes at woof-CE github though can't say if that is the problem or makepup itself. I haven't had much time to test 0.1.2 so was waiting on feedback, but it did work the times I tested it before.

wiak

Keef

#185 Post by Keef »

I built a 32bit Slacko with it, on Quirky Xerus64. Haven't found any significant problems. Not tried adding any pets yet (to the build), but will try that next.

Billtoo

#186 Post by Billtoo »

wiak wrote:
Hi Billtoo,

I take it the issue wasn't fixed? I'll try it out later today to see if I can duplicate the problem. I also notice there have been a few main woof-CE script changes at woof-CE github though can't say if that is the problem or makepup itself. I haven't had much time to test 0.1.2 so was waiting on feedback, but it did work the times I tested it before.

wiak
I didn't do another makepup try but did a new woof-CE testing branch build on another pc while running under
slacko64-6999 and that was successful.
I actually did a rationalise branch build first but kodi and mpv didn't work so I made a new work directory and did
a testing branch build but I copied the kernel kit directory from the rationalise branch to the new work directory,
then put my kernel 4.9.51 bz2 in the huge kernel directory.
I didn't really know what to expect but it is working great on my macmini and acer laptop :)

I thought makepup problem may have been caused by running from tahrpup64, had the tahrpup64 devx loaded too.
Attachments
screenshot.jpg
(60.94 KiB) Downloaded 810 times

ETP

#187 Post by ETP »

In the absence of 666philb I have had a stab at creating a XenialPup64 using forum member wiak's makepup script version 0.0.9

Full sized screen-shot here: (Press F11 to toggle into full screen then click on link)

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view ... W9BbXJ5UkU

XenialPup64-7.0.8.4 k 4.9.15 (Huge_kernel) woof-CE "testing branch" built September 2017 can be
found here together with comprehensive notes and more screenshots:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

The combination of recent Woof-CE & the Ubuntu updates seems to have resolved most, if not all, of the issues that 666philb encountered. Perhaps I just got lucky!
This Pup is just a general purpose Pup rather than my usual fare which tend to be more task orientated.

Thanks wiak for your makepup scripts and for unlocking the mysteries of Woof-CE.
Your thread has started to remove the fear associated with it and we will all benefit.
Regards ETP
[url=http://tinyurl.com/pxzq8o9][img]https://s17.postimg.cc/tl19y14y7/You_Tube_signature80px.png[/img][/url]
[url=http://tinyurl.com/kennels2/]Kennels[/url]

wiak

#188 Post by wiak »

Billtoo wrote:Hi

Thanks
Hi Billtoo,

In short, seems to be a tahrpup64 issue, and not an issue with woof-CE or makepup.

I'm using makepup on tahrpup64 (with devx loaded). It seems to be running fine and is now at the last part where it is making the squashfs.

I've been watching the terminal output as the scripts do their work. In the 'Processing app...' stage there is often a woof-CE message:

Code: Select all

find: File system loop detected: ./usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu is part of the same file system loop as ./usr/lib
I don't know what that is all about, but seems to be harmless.

Later, in builddistro-Z part, I get the message you may be referring to:

(pmcputemp:15330): GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: gdk_pixbuf_new_from_file: assertion 'error == NULL || *error == NULL' failed
That keeps repeating over and over as the script continues its work and I haven't seen that when I've been using Slacko64 as the build host.

However, the makepup build itself has actually completed successfully, and the error message is nothing, I believe, to do with makepup itself, or woof-CE as far as I can see it.

I ran:

ps aux | grep pmcputemp
and find that its a process running on tahrpup64 itself, so the message seems to be with tahrpup, not makepup nor woof-CE.

Googling about pmcputemp provided this link (as one of many):

http://puppylinux.info/rss/topic/pmcputemp

I haven't really read that since if tahrpup issue, not my concern. However, if I'm wrong and any errors re: makepup itself do appear, please continue to feedback since that's the only way I'll know if a problem in makepup ever needs fixed (unless I stumble upon an issue myself...).

As I said, the build (iso and frugal) itself completed successfully, but I did need to do a

killall pmcputemp
after that to break out of that pmcputemp loop of tahrpup (makepup script had already completed, actually, and was not itself stuck in any loop).

Hope that helps reassure you.

wiak
Last edited by wiak on Sun 24 Sep 2017, 23:32, edited 1 time in total.

wiak

#189 Post by wiak »

Re: my immediately above post.

See also:

tahrpup64 GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL bug notified here:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 765#907765

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 683#921683

wiak

davids45

32-bit makepup with pet for extra libs

#190 Post by davids45 »

G'day,

Meanwhile, back in the horse'n'(not-so-)buggy 32-bit world ....

... success with making a fully functional 32-bit Slacko (pinboard screenshot) where my wanted apps or their missing libs are in the iso build. Well, those not in my pre-existing large sfs of extra apps.

Unwanted woof iso apps (e.g. abiword) or non-functional ones (e.g. ghostscript-9.14) were deleted during the makepup run.

The pets I've added with makepup are shown in the second screen shot and the libs and links for a couple of apps' fixes in the missing-libs.pet are in the third screenshot.

I might even now try a Full Install of this Slacko - if I find the time when not grandchildren-minding during the school holidays :shock: .

Thanks wiak for this most useful addition to Puppy L.

David S.
Attachments
makepup012slackok4111addedlibs.jpg
Slacko pinboard with all extra pets and missing libs added during makepup build
(132.36 KiB) Downloaded 745 times
petsaddedtoslackowithmakepup012.jpg
pets in makepup's add-pets directory for Slacko
(55.13 KiB) Downloaded 740 times
libsandlinksinlibpetforslacko.jpg
sym-links and libs in the pet made to fix lib problems - the red text relative links work once in place
(116.55 KiB) Downloaded 733 times

Billtoo

#191 Post by Billtoo »

@wiak

Hi,
I just finished a new makepup build under slacko64 and it worked fine, even used my 4.9.51 kernel.

Haven't done much with it yet but mpv works so I assume kodi will too when I install it with PPM,
but that will have to wait until tommorow, I've been at the computer most of the day so need a rest.

Thanks for looking into my earlier report.
EDIT: Couldn't wait, I added kodi,vlc,gnome mplayer,smplayer,smtube, with PPM and they all work well,
also compiled mplayer-1.3.0
Attachments
screenshot2.jpg
(107.78 KiB) Downloaded 717 times
screenshot.jpg
(62.23 KiB) Downloaded 738 times
Last edited by Billtoo on Mon 25 Sep 2017, 02:37, edited 1 time in total.

wiak

#192 Post by wiak »

@ETP: Thanks for that encouraging report. Glad 0.0.9 worked for you. Version 0.1.2 should do the same but with a couple of extra facilities.

@Billtoo: Glad to hear all is well from slacko. Always useful to get reports from a seasoned woof-CE Puppy builder.

@davids45: Thanks greatly for testing the puppy dotpet add-in facility. Particularly good to know it worked as a way of fixing missing lib issues (I added a link to your post, to first post of this thread, as a nice example of use).

At some stage I'm hoping to try building a dotpet window-manager/environment add-on, though, to be honest, I have no skill at such so will prefer if someone used to doing that kind of setup would do so before me! Anyway, I may never get round to that because I'm busy reading woof-CE code and taking a lot of time over that and I also want to experiment with building new distro build type to see how easy or not that proves to be... Also keeping Billtoo's suggestion in my head of looking into kernel-build automation, either as part of makepup (third tab maybe) or a separate script especially for that purpose - but again, I don't know when I'll get round to that. In the meantime it is good to know if makepup can be considered stable now or if there are any bugs that surface within makepup itself. Many thanks thus for your reports and testing, which would take a long time (and a lot of bandwidth) if I was doing all these tests myself.

Hoping some others will contribute further NLS language translations for the gui. Pelo, for example, might want to build a Puppy plane to fly (which would keep him busy) but need a French version of the gui interface first.

wiak

Billtoo

#193 Post by Billtoo »

@wiak

I have an older Imac that will only boot puppy from a uefi.iso burned to a DVD or flash drive.
The UEFI Installer - Flash Drives in xenialpup64 is broken but I was able to use the one
in slacko64-6999 to make one from my Saturday woof-CE build under slacko64-6999.

My makepup build from last night (pretty sure all makepup builds) only create a hybrid iso
so there is no way that I can use them on the Imac.

I've just finished installing the woof-CE build from Saturday to the Imac:

root# inxi -b
System: Host: puppypc18301 Kernel: 4.9.51-x86_64 x86_64 (64 bit) Desktop: JWM 2.3.6
Distro: xenialpup64 7.0.8.4
Machine: Device: desktop System: Apple product: iMac8 1 v: 1.0 serial: W8811GXLZE2
Mobo: Apple model: Mac-F226BEC8 v: PVT serial: 1
UEFI: Apple v: IM81.88Z.00C1.B00.0802091538 date: 02/09/08
CPU: Dual core Intel Core2 Duo E8135 (-MCP-) speed/max: 1600/2400 MHz
Graphics: Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] RV610/M74 [Mobility Radeon HD 2400 XT]
Display Server: X.org 1.18.4 drivers: ati,radeon (unloaded: modesetting,fbdev,vesa)
tty size: 124x26 Advanced Data: N/A for root
Network: Card-1: Broadcom BCM4321 802.11a/b/g/n driver: b43-pci-bridge
Card-2: Marvell 88E8058 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller driver: sky2
Drives: HDD Total Size: 282.1GB (3.2% used)
Info: Processes: 174 Uptime: 42 min Memory: 379.5/3949.2MB Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 2.3.8
root#

Is there any way that makepup could build a uefi.iso?

Thanks
Attachments
screenshot.jpg
(44.05 KiB) Downloaded 625 times

wiak

#194 Post by wiak »

Billtoo wrote: Is there any way that makepup could build a uefi.iso?
Hi Billtoo,

If you can do so in woof-CE then probably I could add option to makepup to do so. Could you let me know at what stage you get asked if you want an uefi iso and I'll check into it and see if I can easily add that as an option in makepup, which is likely.

wiak

Billtoo

#195 Post by Billtoo »

wiak wrote:
Billtoo wrote: Is there any way that makepup could build a uefi.iso?
Hi Billtoo,

If you can do so in woof-CE then probably I could add option to makepup to do so. Could you let me know at what stage you get asked if you want an uefi iso and I'll check into it and see if I can easily add that as an option in makepup, which is likely.

wiak
Hi
I wasn't prompted for the kind of iso, it defaulted to uefi.
The build was under slacko64-6.9.9.9,the kernel source sfs is named
kernel_sources-4.9.51-slacko64.sfs but I think it could be used for
compiling the nvidia driver, I just use the default graphics driver on
intel and amd radeon installs.
I'll try an install on a pc with an nvidia card and see how well it works
with the default nouveau driver.

The screenshot just shows the directory on my backup flash drive with the main files.

Thanks
Attachments
xenial64files.jpg
(28.26 KiB) Downloaded 584 times

peebee

#196 Post by peebee »

wiak wrote:Could you let me know at what stage you get asked if you want an uefi iso and I'll check into it and see if I can easily add that as an option in makepup, which is likely.
wiak
Lines 34&35 of _00build.conf set UFEI_ISO (sic) & G4DOS_ISO

+
grub2_efi64 must be "true" in /support/rootfs-packages.conf
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

Billtoo

#197 Post by Billtoo »

I didn't edit any config files but when that pop up shows up in ./3builddistro-Z I must have clicked on the option to make a uefi iso,seems to me I've done that in the past and it had no effect.

wiak

#198 Post by wiak »

Thanks, peebee and Billtoo. I'll look into it. Have any of you, or anyone reading this thread, any idea if woof-CE attempts to fulfill package dependencies as listed in, say, any of the Packages -*-* files? I'm wading through the code and note 0setup checks items in DISTRO_PKGS_SPEC-* do exist in the format-fixed, downloaded packet lists but haven't yet reached any code that resolves dependencies (tho haven't got far in my wading as yet). In practice, dependencies don't seem to get resolved for packages dropped into local-repositories for inclusion, which is a pity.

EDIT: I know there is CHECK_BINARY_DEPS= in _00build.conf but that doesn't seem to do it - at least not for packages dropped into local-repositories. I've already read some of the script code concerning that but I've already forgotten the details... but certainly what I've read didn't do what I would like.

I'll find out eventually if I don't get fed up reading code I expect...

wiak

sc0ttman

#199 Post by sc0ttman »

wiak wrote:Thanks, peebee and Billtoo. I'll look into it. Have any of you, or anyone reading this thread, any idea if woof-CE attempts to fulfill package dependencies as listed in, say, any of the Packages -*-* files? I'm wading through the code and note 0setup checks items in DISTRO_PKGS_SPEC-* do exist in the format-fixed, downloaded packet lists but haven't yet reached any code that resolves dependencies (tho haven't got far in my wading as yet). In practice, dependencies don't seem to get resolved for packages dropped into local-repositories for inclusion, which is a pity.

EDIT: I know there is CHECK_BINARY_DEPS= in _00build.conf but that doesn't seem to do it - at least not for packages dropped into local-repositories. I've already read some of the script code concerning that but I've already forgotten the details... but certainly what I've read didn't do what I would like.

I'll find out eventually if I don't get fed up reading code I expect...

wiak
If you're feeling adventurous (masochistic) you could

* install Pkg,
* copy the relevant woof repo files to your ~/.packages/ dir, (if needed)
* add the matching repo entries to ~/.pkg/sources-all, (if needed)
* cd into the local PET dir in woof,
* and do

pkg --update-sources # add ur new repos to the list!
pkg --workdir `pwd`  
for pet in *
do
pkg -ed $pet
done
EDIT: a bit safer, build the list of pets first, then do `pkg -ed "pet1 pet2 pet3"` ....

Either way should download (not install) the deps of each $pet into the current dir...

Until I implement a chroot type option in Pkg, that might (not!) work for ya...
(there will be caveats .. you might need to use --force if trying to get deps of pkgs already installed in ur host system, for example)
[b][url=https://bit.ly/2KjtxoD]Pkg[/url], [url=https://bit.ly/2U6dzxV]mdsh[/url], [url=https://bit.ly/2G49OE8]Woofy[/url], [url=http://goo.gl/bzBU1]Akita[/url], [url=http://goo.gl/SO5ug]VLC-GTK[/url], [url=https://tiny.cc/c2hnfz]Search[/url][/b]

Moat

#200 Post by Moat »

wiak wrote:Also keeping Billtoo's suggestion in my head of looking into kernel-build automation, either as part of makepup (third tab maybe) or a separate script especially for that purpose ...
Don't know what I'm talking about, but could stemsee's auto kernel-compiling scripts be of possible value?

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=96723

Bob