Create Debian 9 (Stretch) minimal ISO similar to DebianDog

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
fredx181

#581 Post by fredx181 »

*** Update mklive-stretch ***

No major changes, just bugfix:
I found that sometimes, only when the script is interrupted, one or more 'bind mounts' are not unmounted, could result in crashing the host system.
Fixed by using 'umount -l' (lazy unmount) in case script is interrupted.

Other change is that two times user input are following close to each other now (set password root, puppy and keyboard configuration), which is more convenient IMO.

New mklive-stretch:
mklive-stretch script

Fred

rcrsn51

#582 Post by rcrsn51 »

This is the PeasyMP3 general-purpose media player, CD player and carousel. It uses MPlayer as the engine and can play most audio-video formats, including radio streams.

By modifying /root/.asoundrc, you can enable an alternate sound card or the ALSA equalizer.

Update: PeasyMP3 now has a tray launcher. Note the separate 32bit and 64bit packages below.

Remove the fake .gz extension.
Attachments
peasymp3_4.1-2_i386.deb.gz
Updated 2018-02-07
with gnome-mplayer fix
(11.55 KiB) Downloaded 183 times
peasymp3_4.1-2_amd64.deb.gz
Updated 2018-02-07
with gnome-mplayer fix
(11.68 KiB) Downloaded 156 times
peasymp3_4.1.deb.gz
(8.06 KiB) Downloaded 234 times
Last edited by rcrsn51 on Wed 07 Feb 2018, 18:08, edited 2 times in total.

Doglover

#583 Post by Doglover »

I solved the no audio in youtube and pulseaudio issues by just adding a non root user. It all works fine now.

Nice job Fred

fredx181

#584 Post by fredx181 »

rcrsn51 wrote:This is the PeasyMP3 general-purpose media player, CD player and carousel. It uses MPlayer as the engine and can play most audio-video formats, including radio streams.
Thanks, very nice program!
One thing, when gnome-mplayer is already installed it will be replaced by gmplayer.
Is it ok when gnome-mplayer stays installed in that case, so gmplayer will be installed only if gnome-mplayer is not already installed.
This change in control file will do it like that (gmplayer priority)

Code: Select all

Depends: gmplayer | gnome-mplayer-1.0.7, icedax, eject, xterm, libasound2-plugin-equal
Then two separate packages for 32 and 64 bit are required (with gnome-mplayer-1.0.6 dependency for 64 bit) which I'll build then if you confirm OK.

EDIT: @all
The dependency "libasound2-plugin-equal" from PeasyMP3 reminds me that I forgot to add it to the install configs for 'full dogs' (needed for menu entry "Alsa Equalizer"), I've done it now.

Fred

rcrsn51

#585 Post by rcrsn51 »

fredx181 wrote:One thing, when gnome-mplayer is already installed it will be replaced by gmplayer.
Is it ok when gnome-mplayer stays installed in that case, so gmplayer will be installed only if gnome-mplayer is not already installed.
That's fine. In my testing, gnome-mplayer played all my basic sample audio-video files.

I am taking Oscar's word that there are more modern codecs that require the newer version.

fredx181

#586 Post by fredx181 »

Since there are many packages added to custom Dog repositories (specially lately, made by rcrsn51) , I thought it would be good to make overview of the packages available, see here:
https://github.com/DebianDog/MakeLive/b ... retch-from
(added this link to first post also)

Having done that, I thought it might be good to modify the list by adding descriptions, TODO for later maybe, at least there's overview of the package names now.

Fred

belham2

#587 Post by belham2 »

Hi Fred & all,

Have something that is flummoxing (confusing me) completely. Have a laptop that has both USB ports and SDcard slots. As you know, I "frugal" install all my dog (and all pup) builds, and they all boot & run great that way.

Here's the lingering conundrum:

If I 'frugal' install a bunch of ddogs and pups to an SDcard, and put that SDcard inside a USB-housing connector (it plugs straight into the USB port), all ddogs and pups boot & run great.

If i take that same SDcard out of that USB-housing-SDcard-connector, and instead plug it directly into the laptop's SDcard slot-----all my 'frugal' puppies boot & run no problem, but none of the ddogs will even boot up. I honestly do not understand what is going on----the ddogs always fail at the "looking for stretch-x86_64.sgn" file and refuse to boot from there.

Here's where the booting stops, when on a SDCard & directly put into a laptop SDcard slot, and fails every single time for every Dpup build (over 8 now) I have tried:

Searching for.....
....looking for stretch-x86_64.sgn.........."
from= cheatcode is incorrect, press enter to search through all devices.
And it just is not possible the cheatcode is incorrect! Plus, the damn "stretch-x86_64.sgn" file is there! Furthermore, I copied the ###.sgn file everywhere, root/directories/otherwise, on the SDcard just in case, and it still fails at same spot noted above. What is frustrating is that my ddogs on this SDcard boot everywhere else on all my machines, no problems, AS LONG AS the sDCard is put into a USB slot with the SDCard-USB converter-thingy. But none of the Ddogs will boot from this SDcard if the card is directly put into the laptop SDCard slot. Yet all Pups do, they boot directly from this SDCard when it is put into the laptop SDCard slot. Come on now, Fred, tell the truth, did you put a special "drive-Belham-bananas-script" line in the DDogs init so that when I'm using the SDcard directly in my laptop sdcard-slot, I pull some of my hair out?! :lol: :lol:

fredx181

#588 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Belham,

I remember from some time ago, that William tested booting from SDcard a lot and had some problems also (and solved them), can't find his posts about it yet, I'll continue searching.
From what I tested just now I can't reproduce, booting from sdcard slot went OK for me.

From what I remember what William found at that time was that the order of copying files to the SDcard was important (I think it was first vmlinuz1 then intrd1.xz and last 01-filesystem.squashfs)
Anyway William modified the Debiandog-installer to do it in the right order.

I'll will test some more, can you test installing to SDcard with the Debiandog-Installer and see if that works ok ?
Also, can you tell me what exactly is your setup ? e.g. grub4dos or.., SD card one partition ,or... ? which filesystem, e.g. ext4, or.. ?
Then I can try to reproduce exactly your setup.

About not finding the .sgn file, it's not about the .sgn file itself, but probably about not recognizing the drive, so then it can't find any data at all.
Also the message "from= cheatcode is incorrect" just means in your case "cannot find"

Fred

rufwoof

#589 Post by rufwoof »

fredx181 wrote:Hi Belham,

I remember from some time ago, that William tested booting from SDcard a lot and had some problems also (and solved them), can't find his posts about it yet, I'll continue searching.
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 773#850773

fredx181

#590 Post by fredx181 »

rufwoof wrote:

Thanks rufwoof,
Reading any further there, it seems mysterious about why some install order is required exactly :?:
Note that the changes (proposed back then) in linuxrc (init) and other scripts are implemented now, so, I guess, that can't be the reason booting from SDcard could fail.

To be continued probably about this issue.

Fred

dancytron

#591 Post by dancytron »

fredx181 wrote:
rufwoof wrote:

Thanks rufwoof,
Reading any further there, it seems mysterious about why some install order is required exactly :?:
Note that the changes (proposed back then) in linuxrc (init) and other scripts are implemented now, so, I guess, that can't be the reason booting from SDcard could fail.

To be continued probably about this issue.

Fred
Maybe it is simpler.

Show us your menu.1st or equivalent.

If it is by uuid, maybe they are different when it is inside the usb adapter than when it is in the slot. Use blkid command to find out.

belham2

#592 Post by belham2 »

Hi Fred & all,

Thank you for responding. It's definitely not a menu.lst, uuid or any other problem associated with that. The link rufwoof founds (thanks!) where William describes what he experienced is "exactly" what I am experiencing. So, this weekend I will try more on the mods he suggested in his post, but I've got a feeling this might be a problem that is better left alone. I'm worried that modding the stuff William did might lead to other problems that I really can't fix, then I'd have to re-install over.

It's interesting in the past 2 years I've been using Ddogs & DEblive minimal installs, it never occurred to me to stick one and/or some of them on a sdcard and try to boot one straight off it in my laptop's sdcard slot. The pups and other (bigger) distros work no problems straight off the sdcard slot, but I never did try one of ddogs nor one of DebianLive SDcards that I've got lying around. For them, I have always used them in the SD-to-USB converters.

Thanks again all. Will report back what I find.

rufwoof

#593 Post by rufwoof »

If you use google search, adding site:murga-linux.com to the end of your search string helps refine the search. That's what I used and it showed that link/post as one of the first few in the search results list

+william +sd +card +boot site:murga-linux.com

fredx181

#594 Post by fredx181 »

belham2 wrote:Hi Fred & all,

Thank you for responding. It's definitely not a menu.lst, uuid or any other problem associated with that. The link rufwoof founds (thanks!) where William describes what he experienced is "exactly" what I am experiencing. So, this weekend I will try more on the mods he suggested in his post, but I've got a feeling this might be a problem that is better left alone. I'm worried that modding the stuff William did might lead to other problems that I really can't fix, then I'd have to re-install over.

It's interesting in the past 2 years I've been using Ddogs & DEblive minimal installs, it never occurred to me to stick one and/or some of them on a sdcard and try to boot one straight off it in my laptop's sdcard slot. The pups and other (bigger) distros work no problems straight off the sdcard slot, but I never did try one of ddogs nor one of DebianLive SDcards that I've got lying around. For them, I have always used them in the SD-to-USB converters.

No use to to mod things as suggested earlier by William, because these are already done in newer Dogs.
(and for older Dogs it's a matter of upgrading "debdoginstallscripts" and "porteusbootscripts")

I tested some diiferent setups now (Jessie and Stretch) and they all boot for me (e.g. FAT32, ext4, two partitions, one partition), so still can't reproduce what you got, can you tell me what's your setup exactly ?
Then I can test that (you'll never know, if it's slightly different, we may find if there's a bug somewhere)

Also, it may be that for you booting with 'live-boot' works from SD card (assuming you use porteus-boot now, but not sure).

Fred

rockedge

#595 Post by rockedge »

I experienced this as well...turns out that the SD card as a device wasn't ready to read...happened with DebianDog/XenialDog....I also once in awhile have this as well with a 500 gig USB drive. I have to reboot twice sometimes...the drive isn't ready or is not seen at the initial boot sequence. It is the order of the files being loaded being effected.

belham2

#596 Post by belham2 »

fredx181 wrote:
belham2 wrote:Hi Fred & all,

No use to to mod things as suggested earlier by William, because these are already done in newer Dogs.
(and for older Dogs it's a matter of upgrading "debdoginstallscripts" and "porteusbootscripts")

I tested some diiferent setups now (Jessie and Stretch) and they all boot for me (e.g. FAT32, ext4, two partitions, one partition), so still can't reproduce what you got, can you tell me what's your setup exactly ?
Then I can test that (you'll never know, if it's slightly different, we may find if there's a bug somewhere)

Also, it may be that for you booting with 'live-boot' works from SD card (assuming you use porteus-boot now, but not sure).

Fred
Hi Fred,

First, maybe I've been confusing you, but it has to be remembered this only occurs with "frugal" installs on a SDCard where grub4dos rules the card. If I install a ddog to that card (using the installer inside the ddog), then the ddog on the SDCard will boot from the laptop SDcard slot. But frugal installs to the same SDCard, in the same laptop SDCard slot, do not. Here's my typical grub4dos entry on a SDcard that was previously formatted to ext 4, with boot flag. On this SDcard, grub4dos rules, and I have two or three 'frugal' installed ddogs (that all fail to boot and stop at the exact same point I referenced in my earlier posts and what William said. Again, please note: they fail to boot when booting from ONLY using the SDcard laptop slot---if I put the SDcard in a USB-SDcard converter, it boots fine---and no, it is NOT an UUID problem and/or timeout problem---I've even put the timeout up to 60 secs, it still fails the exact same point.

All these grub4dos entries fail:

title Debian-Dog32 - Porteus Changes on Exit
  root (hd0,0)
  kernel (hd0,0)/DebianDog32/live/vmlinuz1 noauto from=/DebianDog32/ changes=EXIT:/live/DebianDog32/
  initrd (hd0,0)/DebianDog32/live/initrd1.xz

title Stretch-DDog-Build32-Fvwm (sda1) 
  uuid ##############################
  kernel /Stretch-Build32-FVWM/stretch/live/vmlinuz1 from=/Stretch-Build32-FVWM/stretch noauto changes=EXIT:/Stretch-Build32-FVWM/stretch/live/ net.ifnames=0
  initrd /Stretch-Build32-FVWM/stretch/live/initrd1.xz

It does not matter what combo of (hd#,#) and/or directly using uuid, all of my 'frugal' installed ddogs (from old ones to new ones) fail when booting from an SDcard in the laptop's SDcard slot. Pups on the same SDcard (with the ddogs) boot no problems directly from the same laptop's SDcard slot. And so do all other Linux distros I have tried on same SDcards in the same laptop sdcard slot, from Ubuntu/Debian on down to even notorious finicky booters like SUSE and Fedora.

fredx181

#597 Post by fredx181 »

Hi belham,

Can't stand that I haven't found a way that does not boot from SD card :evil:
If I install a ddog to that card (using the installer inside the ddog), then the ddog on the SDCard will boot from the laptop SDcard slot
Sorry, not sure if I understand: with using the installer you mean "frugal' or 'full' ?
Or do you mean after using the installer (frugal) booting went OK from SD card slot, but when manually copying the files from "live" to SD card not ?
I suspect your problem is only when using porteus-boot, can you please test live-boot ?

EDIT: Can you test this initrd1.xz for Stretch 32bit ?
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/xpy ... initrd1.xz
I added more kernel modules to load in init script, maybe these were missing for SD card boot.

Fred

rufwoof

#598 Post by rufwoof »

I installed xenialpup64 to a MMC (which plugs into a SD caddy that plugs into the PC's SD slot).

Booting with BIOS set to USB as the first choice ... it doesn't boot, goes to a later HDD boot menu.

Pressing F12 (boot menu) during bootup and I can select MMC and it boots fine.

As a secondary note, if I flip the read only switch on the SD caddy that does seem to lock down the MMC card from being written to. I set Puppy Event Manager to zero (never save) and tick ask at shutdown, so it only saves when either the desktop save icon is clicked or optionally at shutdown, and clicking save with the read-only SD switch flipped on results in a warning message about having been unable to save. With the read only switched flipped off it saves OK (using the 2GB MMC as the savefolder).

EDIT:

Rather than having to wait to press F12 to ... etc. in order to boot, as I have grub4dos installed on the HDD I booted and ran 'c' at the grub menu to enter grub command mode and then listed available devices, noted that there was a hd1,0 choice and set grub4dos menu to chainload to that

# menu.lst
color white/blue black/cyan white/black cyan/black
timeout 3
default 0

title MMC/SD Caddy Chainload
root (hd1,0)
makeactive
chainloader +1

... and now on powerup it starts HDD's grub4dos menu.lst which chainloads to the MMC/SD bootup
Attachments
s.png
(95.72 KiB) Downloaded 469 times

belham2

#599 Post by belham2 »

fredx181 wrote:Hi belham,

Can't stand that I haven't found a way that does not boot from SD card :evil:
If I install a ddog to that card (using the installer inside the ddog), then the ddog on the SDCard will boot from the laptop SDcard slot
Sorry, not sure if I understand: with using the installer you mean "frugal' or 'full' ?
Or do you mean after using the installer (frugal) booting went OK from SD card slot, but when manually copying the files from "live" to SD card not ?
I suspect your problem is only when using porteus-boot, can you please test live-boot ?

EDIT: Can you test this initrd1.xz for Stretch 32bit ?
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/xpy ... initrd1.xz
I added more kernel modules to load in init script, maybe these were missing for SD card boot.

Fred

Hi Fred,

Man, I am ready to give up on this booting a ddog 'frugal' on a SDCard straight from the laptop's sdcard slot. I've tried everything I can think (thanks for the initrd1.xz, tried it, no help unfortunately as the ddogs stop at the same place during the boot process). Also, what I meant about that sentence I wrote earlier was that if I use the ddog installer when I've booted up and loaded a ddog, and have it fully install to the sdcard (by itself), the darn thing then works in the sdcard slot. It's voodoo, Fred, this laptop sdcard slot is straight up voodoo. No matter how I try with 'frugal', I can't get it to boot and it stops everytime at these lines:

Starting init script
^ loading kernel modules
^ searching for stretch-x86_64.sgn file
^ from= cheatcode is incorrect, press enter to search through all devices
....and i know the cheatcode is correct, and the sgn file is there, because if I plop the SDCard in a USB-SDCard-Converter, and plug it into any machine & its USB port (including this laptop & its usb ports), all Ddogs boot right up (and to reiterate for those thinking it, no, this is NOT an uuid and/or hd#,# problem)..

Me thinks it is best to let this go.......ain't worth the time trying to figure this out. It's just frustrating to me that my DebianLive Minimal Installs boot and all pups boot too,both straight from a SDCard in the laptop's sdcard voodoo slot. But my doggone 'frugal'-installed ddoggies? They won't and I can't figure out why (I've even tried 3 different brands of SDCards now) :cry:

P.S. Last thing I want to try is to take all these sdcards I made and try my father-in-law's computer & laptop----he has asdcard slot on each. Will do that tomorrow. if it boots, lol, we know this laptop of mine is acually VOODOO-ed :shock:

fredx181

#600 Post by fredx181 »

Thanks belham,
Yes, better give it up now, just can't find the device, I guess. One thing I'd like to know if it's not working for you because of porteus-boot (I suspect that, but want to be sure), so can you test live-boot for your Stretch-Build32-FVWM with this menu.lst entry?:

title Stretch-DDog-Build32-Fvwm (sda1)
  root (hd0,0)
  kernel /Stretch-Build32-FVWM/stretch/live/vmlinuz1 boot=live live-media-path=/Stretch-Build32-FVWM/stretch/live/ union=aufs net.ifnames=0
  initrd /Stretch-Build32-FVWM/stretch/live/initrd.img
It's without persistence, but doesn't matter now, just for testing (in theory, if DebianLive works for you, this should work also)

Fred