Wlan0 not recognised on 64-bit Slacko

LutonMossy

Wlan0 not recognised on 64-bit Slacko

#1 Post by LutonMossy »

I have a Dell Latitude e6410 64 bit laptop. Strangely when firing up the 32 bit version of Slacko 6.3, it recognises wlan0 with driver iwlwifi, but when firing up the 64 bit version, there is no sign of wlan0. Shame, because I would like to use the extra functionality of the 64 bit version. It's a mystery to me. Does anyone have any ideas?

Further to above, the dmesg.txt file contains the lines:

ntel(R) Wireless WiFi driver for Linux
Copyright(c) 2003- 2015 Intel Corporation
iwlwifi 0000:02:00.0: can't disable ASPM; OS doesn't have ASPM control
iwlwifi 0000:02:00.0: Direct firmware load for iwlwifi-6000-6.ucode failed with error -2
iwlwifi 0000:02:00.0: Direct firmware load for iwlwifi-6000-5.ucode failed with error -2
iwlwifi 0000:02:00.0: Direct firmware load for iwlwifi-6000-4.ucode failed with error -2
iwlwifi 0000:02:00.0: request for firmware file 'iwlwifi-6000-4.ucode' failed.
iwlwifi 0000:02:00.0: no suitable firmware found!

(found how to do this from another post)

How do I put this right?

cthisbear

#2 Post by cthisbear »

Specs:

http://www.notebookreview.com/notebookr ... 10-review/

Intel Wireless Wi-Fi 6200AGN

Interesting post...

https://communities.intel.com/thread/14 ... 0&tstart=0

"""

I would suggest to maybe change your router's wireless setting.

Somebody may suggest copying the wireless files from 32 bit slacko
to use in 64 bit.

I'm sure someone will chip in to advise you.

Welcome to Puppy....Chris.

LutonMossy

#3 Post by LutonMossy »

Many thanks Chris. Is there anybody out there that could advise me on which files to copy over from the 32-bit stick to the 64-bit stick?

bigpup

#4 Post by bigpup »

From the Slaxko64 6.3.0 topic:
It is rather large because it has lots of firmware, however it is not all loaded by default. On the iso you'll notice a new file called fdrv_slacko_6.0.8.1.sfs. This is the extra firmware which is cross checked from the kernel modules so that no firmware that is not needed gets included.

The idea is that if all your hardware works then just don't load the fdrv or if you do and install to usb, hdd, whatever discard it. But if some piece of hardware, be it your graphics card or wireless card, doesn't work then you can load the fdrv from the kernel commandline :

Code: Select all

puppy pfix=fw_drv
or tack fw_drv onto your grub or syslinux commandline.
So, type that code in a console.
Hit enter.
What happens now?
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

gcmartin

#5 Post by gcmartin »

Hello @LutonMossy. Welcome to the Puppy Linux Discussion Forum.

What @Big PUP is helping with is the recommendation that one should use at boot time, when experiencing the kind of missing hardware functionality as you have. This is a Slacko64 ONLY feature at this point in time.

One way of testing, assuming you are booting a DVD or Frugal is that you interrupt the boot when the splash-screen (F2) and I would type

Code: Select all

puppy pfix=ram,fw_drv
to boot the PC. Upon desktop and after filliing the FirstRun screen, try your w/l efforts, again looking for a match in what you have seen in Slacko32.

Please report progress as you go.

Hope this helps.

LutonMossy

#6 Post by LutonMossy »

@Big PUP and @gcmartin Thanks for your posts.

Firstly, I should have said that I'm booting from a USB stick, installed using unetbootin from Lubuntu on an old netbook.

I hit F2 at the appropriate time and firstly typed: "puppy pfix=fw_drv"

Puppy loaded as normal. However, yet again no wlan0 to be found.

I then tried the "puppy pfix=ram,fw_drv" However, this time the puppy-slacko64_6.3.0.sfs was not even found.

I then looked at the iso as mentioned by @Big Pup. I have to report that the file "fdrv_slacko_6.0.8.1.sfs" is not there. I used the menu option "SFS-Load-on-the-fly" as well in case, but no luck; it's not there.

I then found the "SFS Manager" and downloaded and installed an SFS file called "frdv_4.1.11_slacko_2.sfs I thought that this might do the trick, but even though it mounted ok, again no wlan0.

I used my initiative in looking for the for the frdv file mentioned, but came up with nothing.

Given that the frdv file is not on the iso as mentioned in the docs, where can I get it from? I'm a PUP newbie as you've gathered; thanks for your tolerance and help.

mgraham

Got it working!

#7 Post by mgraham »

1. setup puppy with a save file or directory.
2. make sure it is using the zdrv file: zdrv_slacko64_6.3.0.sfs.
it did not copy it to my hard drive for some reason so i copied it from the cdrom to the same place the other .sfs file is, and then clicked on it and chose install.
3. copy the firmware files needed to /lib/firmware
for me they were iwlwifi-6000g2a-5.ucode and iwlwifi-6000g2a-6.ucode.
I am not sure if they are both needed, I just saw messages for them when i ran dmesg from a command prompt.
3a. match file permissions with other files in firmware directory.
4. reboot
5. click on the network status icon and to the network setup, and it showed wlan0

refs:
http://askubuntu.com/questions/608983/v ... -card?rq=1

http://linuxwireless.org/attachments/en ... 68.5.1.tgz

and

http://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel ... 9b6462f4f5

Mike Walsh

#8 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi, LutonMossy.

I run Slacko64 myself (amongst many others), and use a NetGear WNA3100M mini wifi dongle with it. This uses the RTL8192 driver.

I also, don't see 'wlan0'. What mine is running under is 'wlan2' (??) First Pup I've ever seen that in, but that's what it runs as!

Just FYI.

Mike. :wink:

Limbomusic

huh

#9 Post by Limbomusic »

I found this thread by searching for solutions to get wifi working in tahr64.

Machine: Old dell from 2005.
Running tahrpup6.0.6 with kernel 4.9.13 - wifi OK
Running tahr64 - no wifi...

So. After reading here: "what to copy from /lib/firmware from the 32 bit to the 64 bit pup" . hmmmm !?
I found 2 folders in the 32 bits pup - (in lib/firmware): "b43" and "b43legacy"
and copied them over to same place in the 64 bits pup - and after reboot - wlan0 was back and working fine :-) Thanx !