Droidmote - turn your android phone into a remote control

Miscellaneous tools
dancytron

Droidmote - turn your android phone into a remote control

#1 Post by dancytron »

I've tried a lot of these utilities, and the best (although not perfect) is Droid Mote.

It has 3 pages, one for a mouse, one for a small tv remote type, and one that is a remote for audio/video. The fourth page is to emulate different game controllers, which I haven't used.

One caution, the thing that looks like a power button is a power button. It shuts down your computer just like you hit the power button.

The android client is free.

It has servers for Linux, Windows and Android. The Linux and Windows servers are free. There are two Linux versions, one for 32 bit and one for 64 bit.

I've tested it on Tahr Puppy 64, the latest Fatdog, Debian Dog 64 both Stretch and Jessie and it has worked. The only 32 bit distro I have installed is Precise Puppy 5.72, which did not work.

First, download and install the client on your phone or tablet from here.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... ient&hl=en

Then, download the server from this page.
http://www.videomap.it/download.htm

I assume there are lots of ways to set it up, but what I did to make it run in a terminal window (like it does in Windows just by clicking on the server).

1. I created two little scripts, droidmote-start.sh and droidmoteserver.sh (see attached). Copy the server you downloaded and the two scripts to /usr/local/bin.

2. Set them as executable.

3. Then, make a link to the droidmote-start.sh to your desktop. Click on the link and a terminal window should open that says: "Waiting for incoming connections on ip: [ip number] on port 2302."

4. Then start the client on your android phone. Choose connect from the menu, put the local ip number of your computer (host name would probably work too), On the console, it will day "Client Connected with thread [big long number]. If you have a firewall set up, you'll have to open a port for it.

That's it. It will remember your ip number for next time.
Attachments
droidmoteserver.sh.gz
(36 Bytes) Downloaded 275 times
droidmote-start.sh.gz
remove .gz
(118 Bytes) Downloaded 294 times