Lucid 5.2.8.7 will not save first to multisession CD-SOLVED!

Discuss anything specific to using Puppy on a multi-session disk
tallboy

Lucid 5.2.8.7 will not save first to multisession CD-SOLVED!

#1 Post by tallboy »

I have remastered, installed, and I am now running from my new live CD Lucid 5.2.8.7. I prefer running from a live multisession CD, but I have a problem when saving the first session back to the CD. I get the message window telling me to click the Save button to save to session back to the CD, but then nothing happens, it seemingly just stops the script without any message. The machine just keep on running.

The menu-choice Shutdown -> Power-off computer starts the script /etc/rc.d/rc.shutdown, #save session begins at line 333, and it calls the function multisavefunc in line 461 and line 464.
But, line 7 says: #v3.01 BK 11 oct 2007, removed multisavefunc() to functions4puppy.
In /etc/rc.d/ there are two text files, named functions4puppy and functions4puppy4.

Are those files meant to be executable files, or am I totally wrong? The file next to them, functions, is executable.

BTW: In pupsave4puppy4 there is a script choosemousefunc. May the failiure to make the files executable also be the reason for my mouse acting strangely, not always executing the clicks I make?

I will not experiment and risk fouling up my remastered disc, by saving a session with the incorrect commands.
When I just continued using the live Puppy after an unsuccessful first save, I discovered some problems:
The initial part of the rc.shutdown script also remove and clear some files, making it difficult to get the network to perform as it should. It will not allow me to reattach my USB modem, I therefore had to power-off the PC, and restart Puppy.
For some reason, just turning the PC off to kill Puppy, makes it hard to find Puppy when starting it again, but I am not smart enough to see if I have any other choice.
My remastering was mostly successful, so I will not loose anything vital if I just power-off the PC.

Can someone please guide me here?

tallboy
Last edited by tallboy on Tue 12 Sep 2017, 21:34, edited 5 times in total.
True freedom is a live Puppy on a multisession CD/DVD.

mostly_lurking

#2 Post by mostly_lurking »

tallboy wrote:For some reason, just turning the PC off to kill Lucid, makes it hard to find Puppy on reboot, but I am not smart enough to see if I have any choice. My remastering was mostly successful, so there is no problem to just stop the PC.
Can't you shut down at all? What happens when you type wmpoweroff or wmreboot in a terminal? Any error messages? Or does it work then?

No idea if that's related, but I remember some people had shutdown problems because the /etc/windowmanager file didn't contain the correct name of the window manager they were using:
Cant shutdown or restart x [SOLVED]
I click reboot or shutdown computer & nothing happens
tallboy wrote:The menu-choice Shutdown -> Power-off computer starts the script /etc/rc.d/rc.shutdown, #save session begins at line 333, and it calls the function multisavefunc in line 461 and line 464.
But, line 7 says: #v3.01 BK 11 oct 2007, removed multisavefunc() to functions4puppy.
In /etc/rc.d/ there are two text files, named functions4puppy and functions4puppy4.

Are those files meant to be executable files, or am I totally wrong?
Looks pretty much the same on Wary 5.1.2, and I never had a saving problem with my multisession CD. And no, those files are not executable.
tallboy wrote:BTW: In pupsave4puppy4 there is a script choosemousefunc. May the failiure to make the files executable also be the reason for my mouse acting strangely, not always executing the clicks I make?
That sounds more like your mouse is having problems. (Wearing out? Failing battery/bad signal with a wireless mouse?) Does the mouse work better with a different system, or does the system work better with a different mouse?
tallboy wrote:I will not experiment and risk fouling up my remastered disc, by saving a session with the incorrect commands.
If you are worried about compromising your remastered Puppy CD, and you don't have the ISO file from the remaster anymore to burn a new one (or never had it), you can create a new ISO from the CD, as a backup:
If you do need an iso file, you can copy it from the CD afterward (dd if=/dev/\$BURNERDRV of=puppy.iso seek=0 bs=32k).
(Quote taken from Wary's remasterpup2 script; it's probably the same for Lucid. /dev/$BURNERDRV obviously needs to be changed to the CD drive that contains the disk.)

tallboy

#3 Post by tallboy »

I have edited some text in the first post, that was confusing even to me when I reread my ramblings!

tallboy

tallboy

#4 Post by tallboy »

mostly_lurking, as you can see from the code starting at line 23 in /usr/bin/wmpoweroff, the result from wmpoweroff is read by /etc/rc.d/rc.shutdown, so running it will unfortunately not help.

Code: Select all

if [ $PUPMODE -eq 5 ];then #first shutdown.
  shutdownconfig #dlgs for creating save-file.
  #...writes results to /tmp/shutdownconfig_results, which /etc/rc.d/rc.shutdown reads.
tallboy

mostly_lurking

#5 Post by mostly_lurking »

The wmpoweroff and wmreboot scripts are run when you choose the "Power-off" and "Reboot" menu options; at least that's how it should be. I asked you to run one of them in a terminal, so that you can see if it produces any errors that might help to determine what's wrong. Have you checked/done anything of what I suggested in my first post?

Regarding your post edit about your trouble after the unsuccessful save: you can mount the CD to see what's on it - does it now have a save folder, or anything that looks out of place? If yes...

- You can't delete a saved session, but you can (permanently) blacklist it at start-up by using the puppy pfix=n boot parameter (where n is the number of saves you want to skip, starting from the last one - I assume that's only 1 in your case).

- You can boot with puppy pfix=ram to not load any saves, then sort out your problems and remaster your system again.

- You can create an ISO file to make a new CD using the "dd" command, as I mentioned before. (The CD has to be unmounted.) It will probably only copy the CD's first track, so it shouldn't include anything that got messed up afterwards.

- You can start over with a pristine Lucid CD, re-add your modifications, and make a new remaster. That might be the best option if you can't figure out what's wrong with your current setup. Or just save your new attempt back to its original CD, reboot, and check if everything is working as it should before you remaster it.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#6 Post by Flash »

There's a lot to chew on here. One thing I would try before going any further is to confirm that a pristine Lucid CD (made from the original Lucid 5.2.8.7 .iso, not remastered) will save to the CD or DVD. You can use a rewritable CD or DVD to make a multisession Puppy; I've done it many times. You don't even have to blank the rewritable disk first. Burniso2cd will just overwrite whatever's on it.

Just for reference, when you use puppy pfix=n to blacklist a session, it creates a folder, which will be saved in the next saved session, that you can inspect to see the format used, then edit to blacklist only particular sessions. You don't have to blacklist the last n sessions. It's been a long time since I tinkered around with it, so I don't remember where the folder is or what it's called, but if I found it, anyone can. :lol:

tallboy

#7 Post by tallboy »

I start with you, Flash: the file is called .badfolders, and it is located in /. I haven't read all the small print in the scripts, so I don't know if it will be automatically removed as part of a new session save. To be on the safe side, it should be removed manually before you save a new session to disc, unless you want the temporary blacklisting to become permanent!

mostly_lurking, I only had one new CD disc left here (I am not at home for the time being), so I haven't had the opportunity to burn some to play with, yet. The live CD in use is not altered in any way after my initial burn.
The CD with the original, unmastered 5.2.8.7 .iso was not a multisession disc, so successful saves to that CD can not be confirmed.

I am a bit uncertain of which function is called by the Power-off computer command in the Menu. Those basic functions under the entry Shutdown, are not available in the normal menu tools, and I don't know yet where those menu items are stored.

Regarding the files that are not executable, functions4puppy and functions4puppy4, according to rerwin they are sourced in the scripts that need the functions within the files.
I found it when I knew what to look for, line 112 in /etc/rc.d/rc.shutdown... :oops: :oops:

I'll come back with test runs with new discs.

tallboy

tallboy

#8 Post by tallboy »

This thread is old but it needs an end, as I found the solution!
One of the changes I made during the remastering process, was to switch windowmanager to JWM. All JWM settings and modifications have worked in the remastered version, but I browsed all scripts and double-checked the given functions and paths. When I opened the file /etc/windowmanager, it still said openbox. One single file that the system missed during the remastering process!
After changing the word to jwm, and restarting X and JWM, the scripts activated in the Shutdown menuchoice now work as intended. :D

tallboy

rerwin

#9 Post by rerwin »

File /etc/windowmanager gets copied if you tell remasterpup2 to customize the remaster. Rather than changing the WM during the remaster process -- whatever that entailed -- I think puppy expects you to change the WM before remastering, then elect to customize during the remaster.

Could you verify that that works and that changing it normally (whatever that means) but not customizing causes shutdown to fail in some way. Your discovery means that I might find a culprit bug in shutdown. Thanks for pursuing the issue.

Let's take this over to the Lucid 5.2.8.7 thread, assuming it is lupu-specific.

tallboy

#10 Post by tallboy »

I am not sure if I can give you more info, Richard, my findings confuse me! I have always used jwm in my Puppies. Switching wm is usually one of the first things I modify in a new Puppy, a long time before my final choices regarding the remaster details are in place. I should normally have found the problem earlier, but my jwm has worked flawlessly. I just ran a search for the text 'etc/windowmanager' in system files in pFind, and got 32 hits, among them /usr/sbin/remasterpup2. But I see that I have used some of the other hits that also call on etc/windowmanager, but I have not noticed any problems at all, before trying to shut down via the menu in the remastered version. I really don't see how I can retrace my actions prior to, and during, the remastering.
There has not been any confirmations from other members regarding this issue, so I would think that the problem is a local one, limited to me! Which means you probably don't need to bother about this at all! :D

tallboy