Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 17 Jul 2018, 00:15
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Auto-build a Puppy iso; single script with optional gui
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 10 of 19 [276 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, ..., 17, 18, 19 Next
smokey01

PostPosted: Fri 15 Sep 2017, 06:53    Post subject:  

musher0 wrote:
Hello all.

Regarding DPupStretch-7.0:
I tried to find a 3.16.43 kernel on Smokey01's repo and couldn't find it.
Maybe I didn't look hard enough or it's elsewhere...

Would this be it?
http://smokey01.com/Bill2/huge-3.16.43-stretch.tar.bz2

musher0

PostPosted: Fri 15 Sep 2017, 16:58    Post subject:  

smokey01 wrote:
musher0 wrote:
Hello all.

Regarding DPupStretch-7.0:
I tried to find a 3.16.43 kernel on Smokey01's repo and couldn't find it.
Maybe I didn't look hard enough or it's elsewhere...

Would this be it?
http://smokey01.com/Bill2/huge-3.16.43-stretch.tar.bz2

Yep! Glad it's still there. Thanks, smokey01.

davids45

PostPosted: Fri 15 Sep 2017, 21:05    Post subject: Modifying pet lists
Subject description: Two edits attempted

G'day peebee (and wiak),

Thanks for your reply.

I've made edits to some of the files in my makepup directory that look involved in adding extra pets to a makepup build.

Quote:
No version numbers in woof-out_****/DISTRO_PKGS_SPECS-****

Single entry for .pets - yes|pkg||exe,dev,doc,nls

I find many files of the type DISTRO_PKGS_SPECS-**** in the various directories but to check for starters, I've modified these files in the makepup root directory (screenshot) as I think you suggested (removing version numbers and the needed syntax for a .pet). My edits for my wanted pets are at the end of the list (screenshot).

Quote:
but all entries must have a corresponding entry in at least one of:
woof-out_****/Packages-puppy-****-official
if they're pets

I copied the lines from a /root/.packages/user-installed-packages of a Pup where I had installed my wanted pets - except seamonkey which I normally run from a symlink.
Again I added these lines to the end of a Packages-puppy-****-official list as an example (screenshot).

If you have the time, could you check if I'm close to what should work?

I only see a 'woof-out_xxxx' after I've run ./makepup so I assume it's the precursors I've got to find and edit.

I'm finding lots of very similar file lists through the makepup directory and subdirectories. I guess all need changing and there's not a set of master lists I could copy and paste?

Thanks again for your help.

David S.
makepup-root-directory-3lists.jpg
 Description   makepup root directory has easy-to-find pets lists so these were used for editing syntax
 Filesize   135.49 KB
 Viewed   717 Time(s)

makepup-root-directory-3lists.jpg

pets-no-version-numbers-in-list.jpg
 Description   edits to pet list for checking
 Filesize   132.68 KB
 Viewed   717 Time(s)

pets-no-version-numbers-in-list.jpg

entries-from-installed-pets-in-existingPup.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   207.86 KB
 Viewed   717 Time(s)

entries-from-installed-pets-in-existingPup.jpg

wiak

PostPosted: Fri 15 Sep 2017, 21:45    Post subject: Re: Modifying pet lists

davids45 wrote:

I only see a 'woof-out_xxxx' after I've run ./makepup so I assume it's the precursors I've got to find and edit.

I'm busy in the garden just now so haven't read most of your post yet, David. But, yes, woof-out_xxxx is only created after the first woof-CE script called 'merge2out' is run (either manually from woof-CE-testing [or woof-CE-rationalise] or via makepup script). There is a pause function designed into makepup (-p or --pause), which is specially for this purpose of giving you time to pause and modify any of these woof-out_xxxx scripts you want to before proceeding to allow makepup to run everything else and complete the build.

From ./makepup --help:

Code:
-p/--pause (pauses makepup script just after merge2out routine.
           DISTRO_PKGS_SPECS-distro-version is ready for
           reading at this stage if you want to see what
           packages are available via woof-CE. For convenience,
           a copy of that file is made in same directory as the
           makepup script. Only those with 'no' before their
           name can be added, if desired, to makepup_extra.conf
           Those with 'yes' are already included in core build
           In particular, you might want to add extra 'firmware').

Please note that there is an error in the above help text (which I'll fix next time I do a makepup update). A copy of DISTRO_PKGS_SPECS-distro-version is no longer made (since that copy wasn't useful in practice).

Hopefully, Peebee can help check what you mention in the rest of your post, since he seems to be very familiar with what is required to add packages in woof-CE.

EDIT1: I just realised I probably have to move that pause to occur a little later (after 0setup) because I think woof-CE script 0setup needs to get the package lists for the build before you can do the tricks Peebee described. I'll post back how to do that in the meantime, shortly (before I release modified makepup version).

wiak
wiak

PostPosted: Fri 15 Sep 2017, 22:54    Post subject: makepup ver 0.0.9alpha
Subject description: temporary upload - puts pause for adding packages after 0setup

@David (and any others needing this mod):

makepup ver 0.0.9alpha EDIT: Following tests, now uploaded as version 0.0.9 to first post of this thread.

temporary upload - puts pause for adding packages after 0setup rather than just after merge2out (which I believe was too early since package lists not downloaded till woof-CE 0setup script).

I'm too busy to test just now, but should be fine. I won't be uploading final ver 0.0.9 for a while yet and 0.0.8 continues to work fine aside from anyone needing this pause switch (-p/--pause) to come after 0setup rather than before it...

see previous post above for why I'm making this alteration.

@David: One thing I notice you are listing that doesn't seem correct is that you say you are editing DISTRO_PKGS_SPECS... files in same directory where makepup is stored. I am pretty sure I modified makepup to not create these 'convenience' copies anymore, because they weren't a convenience I decided... (Maybe you are accidentally using an old version of makepup? Type ./makepup --version and it should tell you the version. Should have been 0.0.8 ) Instead you should be modifying (maybe backup first) the DISTRO_PKGS_SPECS... files you find under your woof-out_* directory (which is a subfolder of the directory where makepup is stored).

I suspect you should make sure pet packages you want extra aren't listed more than once in the "Packages-puppy -*" lists (though I dont' know the effect if listed more than once. Hopefully Peebee will comment.

wiak

Last edited by wiak on Sat 16 Sep 2017, 10:02; edited 1 time in total
peebee

PostPosted: Sat 16 Sep 2017, 05:08    Post subject: Re: Modifying pet lists

davids45 wrote:
If you have the time, could you check if I'm close to what should work?
David S.

Hi David S.

Your syntax is wrong - compare with the existing entries and with my instructions and you should see your error....

The only location (with standard woof-ce) that you need to change things is in woof-out_**** as produced by merge2out but as wiak says after 0setup has run.

You probably need to keep local copies of your changes for when they get overwritten in the future if 0setup is rerun....

The order of searching the repos is given in DISTRO_PET_REPOS and the first match will be used.

Cheers
peebee

wiak

PostPosted: Sat 16 Sep 2017, 06:55    Post subject: Adding and removing packages to the build
Subject description: A woof-CE standard method previously described by Peebee.

@David:

Please find below my test of the example of the add dotpet method previously described by Peebee here:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=956491#956491

STEPS:

1. I have now tested removing a couple of packages and adding a new dotpet. For this, I used makepup ver 0.0.9alpha (recently uploaded a few posts above this one) and started it with:

Code:
./makepup --gui

Because I already had the files downloaded for a xenialpup64 in my local-repositories, I chose target x86_64, distro ubuntu and version xenial with huge kernel 28.

2. Before starting the build itself, I changed to the makepup Advanced tab and selected -p, for pause, to cause makepup to pause just after the woof-CE 0setup stage had completed. I needed that pause so that I could add the new dotpet I wanted to my local-repositories at that stage, and modify the necessary woof-out_* files: DISTRO_PKGS_SPECS-ubuntu-xenial and Packages-puppy-noarch-official.

3. With the makepup script thus paused, I put a copy of my own dotpet program called 'weav-9.1.0.pet', which I wanted to add to the build, into my local-repositories/x86_64/packages-pet directory.
Note: Incidentally, info about weav program can be found on murga forum here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107905

4. I also copied that same weav dotpet and renamed the copy to weav-9.1.0.pet.tar.gz and opened that in Xarchiver and extracted only the pet.specs file, which contained the line:

Code:
weav-9.1.0|weav|9.1.0||Multimedia|136K||weav-9.1.0.pet|+gtkdialog3|cmdline processor||||

5. I then opened the file woof-out_x86_64_x86_64_ubuntu_xenial64/Packages-puppy-noarch-official and appended that weav pet.specs line above to the very end of that Packages file (pressing Return key at the end to make sure the file ended in a new line).

6. I finally opened the file woof-out_x86_64_x86_64_ubuntu_xenial64/DISTRO_PKGS_SPECS-ubuntu-xenial and put 'no' as the first entry for both abiword and ycalc. I also added, just before the final (') tick-mark at the end of that file:

Code:
yes|weav||exe

Be careful that the ' mark comes last.

EDIT: note it's 'exe' at the end in above code, not 'exec' as I accidentally wrote before, sorry...

7. I then allowed the makepup build to continue and at the end of the build, I booted the new xenialpup64 frugal system and find I correctly now have no abiword or ycalc installed, but weav is there.

This add/remove packages process is a bit involved at present, though it could be automated... and it does work.

The alternatives to explore later include:

a. putting the uncompressed dotpet files for the package required to be added into woof-out_*/rootfs-packages folder and using the woof-CE available extra packages methodology. That method is briefly described here:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=956517#956517

b. to chroot into (EDIT:) woof-out_*/sandbox3/rootfs-complete, once system has built that far, and then to use a commandline package manager program to add/remove any packages desired before completing the creation of the frugal squashfs files and the final iso. I believe this chroot method may be the most convenient in the end (once developed and tested) since chroot/commandline-package-manager method is easy to automate via further scripting. As anikin pointed out in a post to murga forum in 2013, Will Haley demonstrated the power of this last method (albeit using debootstrap for DebianLive system) many years ago. I am confident, however, that that chroot method would also work fine with woof-CE system rather than debootstrap:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=743097#743097

wiak

Last edited by wiak on Mon 18 Sep 2017, 03:23; edited 3 times in total
musher0

PostPosted: Sat 16 Sep 2017, 07:52    Post subject:  

Many thanks, wiak,

.. for the explanation, and to davids45 for asking the question.

I had been wondering about that database editing procedure in woof-CE
since the beginning.

BFN.

wiak

PostPosted: Sat 16 Sep 2017, 09:58    Post subject:  

makepup ver 0.0.9 uploaded to first post of this thread.

Changes:

## 0.0.9 moved pause_4addingpackages to just after woof-CE 0setup routines

Also see post in following link for related use of -p/--pause to add dotpet packages to build:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=967945#967945

wiak
recobayu

PostPosted: Sat 16 Sep 2017, 10:12    Post subject:  

Hi Wiak and All.
Is there any .iso made by use makepup ver 0.0.9?
Please share the download link in this thread.. So I can test it Very Happy
Thank you.
wiak

PostPosted: Sat 16 Sep 2017, 10:23    Post subject:  

recobayu wrote:
Hi Wiak and All.
Is there any .iso made by use makepup ver 0.0.9?
Please share the download link in this thread.. So I can test it Very Happy
Thank you.

The point of woof-CE (and thus makepup frontend) is to allow you to build your iso and once you have done so the build files can remain on your system (or on a usb stick) allowing you to re-build and develop your iso for productive use without having to re-download the packages and waste bandwidth. Also useful for re-building an iso that needs security fixes (only changed packages will be re-downloaded).

Of course, some expert builders are likely to continue to use woof-CE (with or without makepup) to polish up the available distros and provide ready-made isos - not me though!

wiak
ally

PostPosted: Sat 16 Sep 2017, 10:38    Post subject:  

building now....wait one....

here you go:

http://archive.org/download/Puppy_Linux_Slacko/slacko-6.9.9.9_wiak_v9.iso

Smile
LazY Puppy

PostPosted: Sat 16 Sep 2017, 21:07    Post subject:  

German .mo file.
makepup.mo.gz
Description  Fake Archive. Remove the fake .gz extension.
gz

Download 
Filename  makepup.mo.gz 
Filesize  2.92 KB 
Downloaded  80 Time(s) 

"you only wanted to work your Puppies in German", "you are a separatist in that you want Germany to secede from Europe" (musher0) Laughing

No, but I gave my old drum kit away for free to a music store collecting instruments for refugees! Wink

Last edited by LazY Puppy on Fri 22 Sep 2017, 00:02; edited 3 times in total
wiak

PostPosted: Sat 16 Sep 2017, 23:57    Post subject:  

LazY Puppy wrote:
German .mo file.

Many thanks, RSH, linked to in first post of thread.

wiak
davids45

PostPosted: Sun 17 Sep 2017, 02:59    Post subject: Will try latest makepup tomorrow
Subject description: With correct syntax?

G'day wiak and peebee,

Thanks for your latest posts to help me make a Pup with some of my home-grown .pets.

I'll be free again tomorrow (Monday, a bit busy this weekend) to see what I can do with makepup-0.0.9.

I think my (latest) syntax problem is a missing | so the lines for my added pets should be something like:

yes|inkgui||exe, dev, doc, nls

I did a suck-it-and-see run yesterday up to the 404 ERROR, and I saw red-text messages that I read as my pets weren't in the repository.
My wanted pets are in the pets directory on my sda5 partition with makepup but, of course, not in any 'official' on-line repository.

And abiword etc weren't in the files of this semi-done Pup, so at least I've got the deleting sorted Smile . Always easier to destroy than build Sad .

I'm hoping your changes will get makepup to use these idiosyncratic pets already on my hard-drive.

"I shall return" to quote a US WW2 general of Scottish ancestry.

Thanks again for your patience.

David S.
Page 10 of 19 [276 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, ..., 17, 18, 19 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: