Gslapt -How to download from Slackware Directories.

Booting, installing, newbie
Frank Cox

Gslapt -How to download from Slackware Directories.

#1 Post by Frank Cox »

When I try to update programs I get an error that says their was a failure and do I want to continue anyway .Saying yes does nothing , it just sits there.

I suspect it is similar to the Ubuntu depositories where you have to add them to a sources.list. and have a public key.

If someone could point me in the right direction I would appreciate it.

Jim1911

#2 Post by Jim1911 »

With Gslapt open, click Edit, Preferences, Sources. You will be able to add, edit, or remove sources using that screen.

Pelo

Slackware 64 bits

#3 Post by Pelo »

Slackware 64 bits, update first Gslapt when connected wireless. If ethernet, no need you should be connected when booting
I use Glapt because yet installed on Slacko 64 bits done for South America.
Gslapt find applications as Simple Screen Recorder that PPM tells 'Not Found'. Why ? i don't know.
Attachments
slacko 64 bits.jpg
tested 2017 whith brand new Shiba Inu, the Slacko remake by Josejp2424
(68.95 KiB) Downloaded 211 times
Last edited by Pelo on Thu 14 Sep 2017, 09:02, edited 1 time in total.

Pelo

then edit preferences to get latest packages.

#4 Post by Pelo »

then edit preferences to get latest packages. Already updated by dev Josejp2424 here.
Attachments
sources.jpg
For Puppies Slacko 64 bits
(67.49 KiB) Downloaded 181 times

Pelo

audacious to be added,

#5 Post by Pelo »

audacious to be added, using Gslapt, form slackware 64 bits repository
Tick audacious, and dependancies listed
Attachments
shiba inu 64.jpg
Let do Gslapt. Wait....
(67.03 KiB) Downloaded 182 times

mikeslr

Gslapt for Slacko64-6.9.9.9 AKA 700

#6 Post by mikeslr »

Hi pelo,

Thanks for bringing gslapt back to our attention and informing us that it works. Decided to create a pet for the 64 bit Slacko I have.

Note: it seems to function, but I haven't tested it yet.

Unfortunately, the pet exceeds the forum's size restriction. But Puppy Package Manager did a good job, and as its small there's no reason to create an SFS. Just specify gslapt and have it install with all dependencies. Once it's installed it will open via the terminal. Although it created a desktop file, to have it appear on the Start Menu, browse to /usr/share/applications and open it in geany/text editor.

Then edit the following:
Remove the gksu from the beginning of the Exec= argument.

Change the bare Icon Argument to read

Icon=/usr/share/icons/hicolor/48x48/apps/gslapt.png ## after checking that the png is there; edit accordingly if its location differs from mine

Edit the Category argument to read:
Categories=X-Setup-puppy

You'll also see a gslapt-KDE.desktop in /usr/share/applications. It's probably safe to delete it. I didn't as it's not taking up much space and doesn't show up on the menu, anyway.

mikesLr

Pelo

why don't use pupjibaro 64 , simply, Gslapt included. ?

#7 Post by Pelo »

why don't use pupjibaro 64 , simply, Gslapt included. ?
Pupjibaros Puppies go to the end of things usually.

Pupjibaro Jessie, Shiba Inus have versions with Gslapt
Ask Josejp2424, if you don't find.
Glsapt will work in all of them (tested) Just update it
Taste it, to get sure, Puppy_Linux_Shiva_Inu/shibaInu_64-2.0.0_27082017.iso 27aug2017, just cooked. You will enjoy it.. You can use it without tests. Everything works as it has to works; Gslapt too.
Of course PPM and Gslapt will dowload 95% of same apps..
Remains 5%. Up to you.. to walk not the same lane as others. Get the fun, as americanos del sur.

Pelo

Gslapt, Synaptic are buried in the Puppy forum,

#8 Post by Pelo »

Gslapt, Synaptic are buried in the Puppy forum, but still popular.
It's looks like PPM but they are differences of results with PPM, better, or not better, sometimes worse..
Test with Gramps, genealogy

┌─[root][01:34 AM][~]
└─[Shiba_Inu][$] gramps
Your version of gi (gnome-instrospection) seems to be too old. You need a version which has the function 'require_version' to start Gramps
┌─[root][01:34 AM][~]
└─[Shiba_Inu][$] gramps
Gdk, Gtk or Pango typelib not installed.
Install Gnome Introspection, and pygobject version 3.3.2 or later.
Install then instrospection data for Gdk, Gtk and Pango
Attachments
gramps.jpg
No no...
(56.89 KiB) Downloaded 57 times
Last edited by Pelo on Sun 24 Sep 2017, 23:38, edited 2 times in total.

mikeslr

Highly Recommend Shiba Inu 64-bit

#9 Post by mikeslr »

Hi Pelo,

Your prior post about Shiba Inu had induced me to download and set it up. For those who may be concerned about the language it uses, mine booted up OOTB in English. How did it know? :shock:

I don't know how Josejp2424 accomplished it --or maybe Slackware, itself, has become more adaptable-- but many of the AppImages which I previously and unsuccessfully tried under Slacko64s work under this Puppy.

Moreover, there are two applications I like which require Qt5. I previously wasn't able to locate the necessary files. I now have Masterpdfeditor4 working, and FoxitReader no longer complains about its absence, but ldd reports there are still a couple of libs for me to track down.

I'd be cautious about mixing the use of Puppy Package Manager and gslapt to install applications. Unless Josejp2424 has created a database which keeps track of applications installed by both, and modified both PPM and gslapt to read that database, neither application will actually "know" what's on your system.

Since this is a Puppy, I suggest that when possible PPM be used. Think of gslapt as a utility for obtaining applications PPM may miss. Moreover, gslapt enables you to download without installing packages. That may be the best solution: download using gslapt, then install it with PPM.

mikesLr

Pelo

Gslapt is as rescue, at home

#10 Post by Pelo »

PPM is a nice tool, Gslapt is as rescue, at home. but it's somehere a try the josejp2424 did. But he is fond of it now.
I don't know where you are from , Mikeslr. But US are very afraid to be poisoned by foreigners, not only for Puppies, for technologies too, and French Camembert (this French cheese was forbidden as the Concorde)
Pupjibaros are long far in advance with puppies, as Jamaican Usain Bolt is, compared to Tyson Gay :twisted:

The policy is not the same as forum members, Pupjibaros are to give an OS able to run free of charge thousand of computers, including in schools, in houses, for people who never learn English until 24 or more years old in universities, and Ignorant of Linux, as an evidence. Perhaps Josejp2424 does not want to loose his time brainstorming for his ego in the forum Murga. I know better Nilson Morales. He works as an humanist, not as a technic..

American study Linux, Languages, and pay for it.. That is not the same world.
Well, how they practice foreign language is another matter