Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 22 Sep 2017, 22:16
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
pup radio works but nothing else
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]  
Walt52

PostPosted: Thu 14 Sep 2017, 00:02    Post subject:  pup radio works but nothing else
Subject description: radio streaming not working EXCEPT. . .

I'm running Tahr 6.0.5 on an inspiron 1501, trying to stream radio. Most of the time the sites I want APPEAR to be connected, but no sound. I tried pup radio through multimedia and it works fine. . .at least one station. The others say Your input can't be opened:
VLC is unable to open the MRL 'http://www.wbgo.org/listennow/wbgo.m3u'. Check the log for details.
A)Where is the log, and what will that tell me?
B) How can pup radio work, but NO others, in Pale Moon, Firefox and even the Windows boot?

Other info that might help: Card SB [HDA ATI SB]
device ATAC9200
Tahr 64 6.0.5
OscarTalks

PostPosted: Thu 14 Sep 2017, 06:04    Post subject:  

Audio streaming URL's tend to get changed quite a lot as providers change and upgrade things.
Also they sometimes try to be too clever by embedding things in web pages and such like. Often this is because they want to force the inclusion of advertising. All we really want is the simple URL of the actual stream. These .m3u links are small text files called metafiles which contain the real stream URL. These were designed to allow browsers to spawn a media player and connect, but these days many browsers will play streams directly. The link you posted does not appear to provide any file. Another alternative listen link on that website leads to http://wbgo.streamguys.net:8000 which does appear to play. This can be pasted into a media player or audio player such as DeaDBeeF if you prefer. Bottom line is that sometimes you do have to poke around a bit.

Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Thu 14 Sep 2017, 06:59    Post subject:  

I have to agree with Oscar on this one.

I have an a/c with RadioTunes:-

https://www.radiotunes.com/

.....and they're probably an exception in that their URLs do stay constant, month in, month out.

You used to be able to play the stream direct through VLC on the 'free' a/c, without even opening the browser (Semme helped me to sort out the .pls files for those (similar to .m3u), streaming via a 'proxy'), but they put a stop to that practice around a year ago; they explained that it was 'for the best' that you were forced to listen to it via the browser! That just means you get shedloads of advertising shoved down your throat.....but admittedly, aside from that small annoyance, the way the site works has improved quite a lot in recent months.

And Chrome will allow you to utilise a 'pop-out' player that you can move around the workspaces. In fact, once you've done this,you can then shut the main browser down, since the 'pop-out' player seems to count as an instance of Chrome running anyway.

Or, the other alternative is that can you download a .pls file from them, which you can then simply drag'n'drop onto your favourite media player; VLC, MPlayer, SMPlayer.....they all just start up straight away, and you use the '<<' and '>>' keys to step back & forth through your playlist favourites. I assume even Zigbert's pMusic will work like this, although I haven't tried it yet.

This does only work if you have a paid account.....but I don't think £7 GBP/month, or £60/year if you pay for 12 months in advance, is actually bad value. No advert interruptions, you can listen 24/7, you can direct the output to BlueTooth speakers/headsets anywhere you want them.....internet audio streaming is pretty versatile these days, even on Linux.

As Oscar says though, not all stream URLs seem to contain the metadata.

Mike. Wink

Walt52

PostPosted: Thu 14 Sep 2017, 08:56    Post subject:  

Thanx, Oscar and Mike! "That just means you get shedloads of advertising shoved down your throat." I'm not interested in having corporations control my brain, which is why I'm here, in the world of freeware. With the help of the folks who inhabit this forum, n00bs like me can stay. Surprised
Two more reasons to stay with Puppy: Pup advert blocker and pup radio!
greengeek

PostPosted: Sun 17 Sep 2017, 01:55    Post subject:  

Hi Walt - have you seen the radio player mentioned here:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=105384&sid=679795da5c4b44b932e624f37a3bd849
It's pretty good!
Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]  
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Jump to: