Acpitool: commandline ACPI status program for laptops

Miscellaneous tools
sindi

Workaround for no suspend on laptop with Puppy Tahr

#41 Post by sindi »

My partner just explained why he wants to suspend rather than power off and then on (even though Tahr loads in 15 seconds). He wants to return to exactly where he was before or at least to a home page. How can I set Tahr to boot directly to a browser? Opera 12 lets you boot to where you were before.

I can boot without X and then load X with a script that executes a binary. Would I just put that script into rc.local or is there a better way?

Xorg & urxvt -e opera for instance

He is wasting a huge amount of time trying out other linuxes which do suspend to RAM properly. His computers are circa 2005 and best suited for Puppy. Tahr will not suspend, on a laptop, only a desktop (via power button instead of command).

Lucid 5.2.8 suspends properly but does not have a working Frisbee and at least three of his laptops require it to work with wifi. The other network wizards cannot connect.

sindi

Booting directly to a browser

#42 Post by sindi »

I put into rc.local

/usr/bin/Xorg & /usr/bin/urxvt -e /usr/bin/jwm & /usr/bin/urxvt -e /usr/bin/opera

and it booted to jwm and Opera.

Without Roxfiler, and without various other things running that we never use. I should add Roxfiler for my dyslexic partner.

Are the path names (/usr/bin/) necessary in rc.local?

sindi

wakes up to black screen with fan running

#43 Post by sindi »

Responding to a 2011 post about DELL 8400. My DELL Inspiron laptop (2003, P4) has the same problem.
acpitool -s or echo mem > /sys/proc/state suspend, but power button turns it back on to a black screen with fan running.

The fan runs all the time with or without acpitool=off in menu.lst. P4 desktop CPU in the laptop.

Burn_IT

#44 Post by Burn_IT »

That's useful to know!
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett

pp4mnklinux

acpi tool (execute from desktop)

#45 Post by pp4mnklinux »

Hello:

I downloaded acpitool to suspend puppy linux, but I can only execute it when pressing the power on button of the CPU.

Is there any way to execute it from the shutdown option into puppy?

Can u create a script for my puppy tahr linux so put my computer (puppy) into suspend mode without the necessity to puss the power button¿¿

Thanks a lot.

(excuse if solved, but I cant find this problem answered;)
Distro: xenialpup64 7.5 XXL
Desktop Panel: JWM ~ FbBox 5.0

backi

#46 Post by backi »

Can u create a script for my puppy tahr linux so put my computer (puppy) into suspend mode without the necessity to puss the power button
/bin!/sh
acpitool -s

pp4mnklinux

THANKS a lot

#47 Post by pp4mnklinux »

THANKS A LOT BACKI

Solved using FBbox 4.0 64bits

https://archive.org/details/FbBox4.064Bit

Utilities + pupshutdown

THANKS A LOT

https://archive.org/details/FbBox4.064Bit

@backi