TexLive 2011

Word processors, spreadsheets, presentations, translation, etc.
vanchutr

TexLive 2011

#1 Post by vanchutr »

To Emil
I've checked the md5sum of texlive-2011-MEDIUM.sfs -> nothing is wrong

But all stuffs in your package are not in right locations (with your script "texlive-path.sh" in /etc/profile).
Now I've placed your stuffs in new paths:

texlive is moved to /
# mkdir /root/.texlive then:
texmf-local is moved to /root/.texlive
texmf-var is moved to /root/.texlive

I've written a new script "texlivehard" with these code (put it in /etc/profile.d):

Code: Select all

PATH=$PATH:/texlive/bin/i386-linux
TEXMFMAIN=/texlive/texmf
TEXMFDIST=/texlive/texmf-dist/
TEXMFLOCAL=$HOME/.texlive/texmf-local
TEXMFSYSVAR=/texlive/texmf-var
TEXMFSYSCONFIG=/texlive/texmf-config
TEXMFVAR=$HOME/.texlive/texmf-var
TEXMFCONFIG=$HOME/.texlive/texmf-config

export PATH TEXMFMAIN TEXMFDIST TEXMFLOCAL TEXMFSYSVAR TEXMFSYSCONFIG TEXMFVAR TEXMFCONFIG
In many case: I should run "texhash" to update texlive-system
(minor bug: I can't run "updmap")

I suggest you should repack yours .SFS if you think my idea is good?
Thank you very much. Cheer

emil

#2 Post by emil »

This is a continuation of the thread (Page 5 & 6)
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 1&start=70
Summary: I Made some prepacked texlive sfs - announcement:
-------

I know understand the TeX distribution a bit better. There is an installer which can be used to download only needed packages. But if a decent subset is installed it will still be several 100 of MB, so for puppy it is better to install this as an sfs file.

I have prepackaged the following (from small to large, small packages are subsets of the larger ones):

texlive-2011-MIN.sfs (18 MB) just bare minimum
texlive-2011-MEDIUM.sfs (177 MB) has LaTeX and recommended packages
texlive-2011-TETEX.sfs (334 MB) famous TeTeX distribution
texlive-2011-FULLAPP.sfs (551 MB) full Texlive sans docs and source
texlive-2011-FULL.sfs (1489 MB) full TexLive Package

texlive-2011-DOC-SRC.sfs (939 MB) Docs and Sourcecode

Those were made in Sage Live, but I *think* it should work in most puppies. Sure these are huge files, but they are a lot smaller than a download of the full distribution (2.4 GB on DVD iso).

Download texlive prepackaged

There is an installer which can be used to download a custom package. It is fine for full install puppies, but for frugal installs it is not straightforward how to avoid full savefiles/disks and to build a custom sfs package (it's not too difficult either).
install-tl-unx.tar.gz

To build an automated custom texlive sfs creator would be a nice little project ...
kind regards
Emil
Last edited by emil on Mon 19 Dec 2011, 07:42, edited 1 time in total.

emil

#3 Post by emil »

Hi vanchutr,

first thanks for helping me test and smooth out the latex packages :D .

About the Path /usr/local/texlive ... it is the original path were the texlive installer puts the files. I am somewhat against placing a package in the / domain. I suggest the package stays in /usr/local. Is there any particular reason why you want it to be in /texlive?
About the environment variables - Do we need them if we leave the package in the default location? Where does it fail without them?
I also see now that the original error you reported probably originated from shifting the package out of its original place :roll: - That's a small? detail you should mention if you report an assumed error :wink:. I spent considerable time (installed 2 puppies to test them with the package) when I tried to reproduce the "failure".

Is it necessary to put texmf-local etc to /root/.texlive ?
I could see an eventual advantage if texlive is used in a multiuser environment. But in the usual puppy linux use case as a single user desktop only system?

If we decide to go multi user - would it be enough to set

Code: Select all

TEXMFLOCAL=$HOME/.texlive/texmf-local 
TEXMFVAR=$HOME/.texlive/texmf-var 
and are the directories automatically created by texlive if need arises? Otherways this would complicate the situation - the root/.texlive directory can be included in the sfs, but I don't know how to handle additional users.

about updmap: I removed docs and sources from the packages, so this is where I probably also removed updmap. The original idea was to have sfs packages which do not change. If you want an updateable package it is better to install texlive somewhere to your hd (in Full mode) and symlink it the way you prefer it (even in /texlive). Otherways it will clobber your savefile pretty quick.

I see this as an discussion process, because I do not have enough experience with TeX to objectivly decide how that package is used best in puppy. I thought for most people it is enough to have a static version which can be put into a comparatively small sfs (so also the reuse in various puppy installations is easy and standard). Please understand that I am not completely against changing the packages, but it is a lot of work (unpacking, uploading, checking - big files) and at the moment I don't see objective reason beside your personal preference (which I don't share).

An alternative project would be to wrap the texlive installer in a "puppy tex installer script" (with GUI?), which allows to choose for build of a customized sfs or alternatively a customized full, upgradable hd install.

Take care 8)
emil
Last edited by emil on Mon 19 Dec 2011, 07:49, edited 2 times in total.

emil

#4 Post by emil »

About updmap:

This is still in my sfs, but it won't work until you install the devx package - it neads pearl installed.

cheers
emil

vanchutr

#5 Post by vanchutr »

Thank you Emil
I'll follow your instructions

emil

#6 Post by emil »

I just wanted to add and clarify, that also the user specific customisation files (including the directories texmf-local and texmf-var) are generated in $HOME/.texlive correctly with the published sfs.

I tested this with user root and also with user sageadmin (I have included this user in my Sage Live puplet). After installing the devx and running updmap there are specific files in the $HOME directories.

darkcity

#7 Post by darkcity »

added to the Latex page on the wiki 8)
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/Latex

pewekodok

recommended subset to use CJK

#8 Post by pewekodok »

Can someone list all of packages that contained on each subset.

I downloaded small subset and tried to CJK package, then concluded it is very hard since kpse library was not included.

I have limited internet connection, so better find out what those subset have inside.

Also I need beamer package / environment.
small subset do not have beamer

recobayu

#9 Post by recobayu »

ally

#10 Post by ally »

Pelo

Broom is provided with it, for the dust.

#11 Post by Pelo »

:D Puppy Linux and so big Texlive can marry together ?
Broom is provided with it, for the dust.
It's only to proove that Puppy can do it, isn'it ?
You really need it :?: :?: :?:
Taste it with version 2009, 90mb, then if you like it, go on with version 2011.
It could be of some interest for mathematics. or chemical formulas. no time to play Puppy, when you have work to do.
TeX Live 2017 is available over the Internet and on DVD. It was released on 4 June 2017, and on going updates are available. .
Libre-Office would still be needed, however.
Personaly, i have no time free. I have videos to do before end of summer to taste Cinelerra after having learn how to use it, in Multimedia chapter.

Pelo

text live mini 2011 for beginners

#12 Post by Pelo »

text live mini 2011 for beginners
didlk made and sfs for Puppy Linux , with all dependancies for one who may need Tex/Latex document production system on his/her puppy Linux (it may be you Smile )
:D :) :) :lol: smiles