debsecan

Antivirus, forensics, intrusion detection, cryptography, etc.
labbe5

debsecan

#1 Post by labbe5 »

http://www.enyo.de/fw/software/debsecan/

I came accross debsecan reading a post from rufwoof, and wanting to know more about it i found the website address above.

debsecan is available from standard repositories (Trinitydog_Stretch).

Use commands as specified, and you will have an overview of your system, in terms of security.

After proceeding as told, i found my system has many vulnerabilities, but that i have latest packages available. I don't need to upgrade any packages. So i am stuck with these vulnerabilities until Debian developers take steps to upgrade packages and resolve these issues.

Same scan on a BSD system has resulted with a much better result :
Install and run debsecan for a indication of potential (known) attack vectors. My Jessie installation was very disappointing on the security front. 2000+ reported, but many duplicates in one way or another; Filtering out duplicates and leaving only high urgency, remotely exploitable ... still left 70+. Stretch should be better as fewer 'known'. BSD (similar setup) in comparison has just 1
What i take from this is BSD is a better system security-wise. Fedora is also known to to be a cutting edge system on a lot of fronts, including security.