Google Chrome 64-bit packages - [CLOSED]

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
jake29

#161 Post by jake29 »

Thanks Mike, latest Slacko64 build is working well with FatDog64.

Mike Walsh

#162 Post by Mike Walsh »

Glad to hear it, Jake.

It seems these builds are fine with the various FatDogs.....but Slacko64 seems to be the sticking pint. There's too much stuff 'missing'.

It's part of the reason why I gave up on Slacko64. Don't get me wrong; I love Micko's older Slacko builds.....they're some of the sweetest and most stable Pups in my kennels, but these 64-bit builds; I don't know. I doubt Micko's to blame; it's more to do with Slackware's policy of including as little as possible with the build itself, and leaving it up to the user to add everything required.....

Horses for courses. The 'buntu-based 64-bit builds just have so much 'extra' stuff included by default; it's why I prefer them these days, I guess.

I'm showing me age..!! :lol:

Mike, :wink:

belham2

#163 Post by belham2 »

Hi ya, Mike!

Got around to finally getting rid of Opera in my frugal XenialPup64-7.0.8, and thought: I'll just install Mike's Slimjet. Then I saw this thread, and re-thought: ok, Google Chromey it is then :wink:

Downloaded Chromey, SFS-on-the-fly loaded it, and all is working good so far....especially the "silent-launch", tested after a reboot.

So, thank you very much!

Have a question though, best presented with a pic: "Uploaded from Belgium"? BELGIUM?? (hmmm, I always suspected you're an author-journalist-front M5-designated super Euro-spy, haha)
Attachments
Chromey-uploaded-from-Belgium-say-what.png
(79.49 KiB) Downloaded 512 times

Mike Walsh

#164 Post by Mike Walsh »

'Uploaded from Belgium...???'

No idea, mate. Don't have a clue what happened there, I'm a true-blue Brit, residing in the outer wilds of the Norfolk countryside...

I don't know where the f**k Belgium comes into it..!! :roll:

Methinks a wee bit of misdirectional re-routing is going on there.....especially considering MediaFire are based in Texas.

Mike. :wink:

orrin

#165 Post by orrin »

Mike Walsh wrote:
Methinks a wee bit of misdirectional re-routing is going on there.....especially considering MediaFire are based in Texas.
OrgName: MediaFire, LLC
OrgId: ML-4
Address: PO BOX 9745
City: Spring
StateProv: TX
PostalCode: 77387-9745

It looks like a northern suburb of Houston.. I hope they are on high ground!
[color=#FF0000]Engineer/Photographer/Webmaster[/color]
[img]https://i.postimg.cc/fL9MypfV/sig-image.png[/img]

Mike Walsh

#166 Post by Mike Walsh »

NOTICE

I just thought I'd better make this a wee bit more obvious.

For anybody who's still stuck with 32-bit hardware, and absolutely must have Chrome itself (no imitations!!), the very final 32-bit Linux release before Google 'pulled the plug' was 48.0.2564.116.

I still use this regularly myself, alongside much more recent Chromium-based 'clones' (i.e., SlimJet, Iron, even Chromium itself). It's very reliable, and will often work with certain sites where the newer browsers (for reasons explained here) will turn their noses up at them.....

Pet & SFS packages for this are available here:-

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/deqayv78nd0ip/32-bit

You'll need to update PepperFlash with the newest version, from here:-

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/gq96iya8in8ix/Chrome

Stay safe online.

Last edited by Mike Walsh on Sun 10 Sep 2017, 22:41, edited 1 time in total.

Mike Walsh

#167 Post by Mike Walsh »

ANNOUNCEMENT

Evening, boys & girls.

I hoped I wouldn't have to do this, but the sad fact is, my production 'run' for the 64-bit Chrome packages will now be ending.

Google, in their wisdom, have upgraded the Network Security Services requirements to the very newest version(>=3.26), and this is beyond the capabilities of Tahr64 to handle, as it also requires the use of a newer version of the glibc.

I quit using Slacko64 a while back, as it was just giving me too many problems.....and Chrome hasn't run on there for the last couple of releases.

I've tried several times to get Xenialpup64 running on here, but it just won't run properly. And unless there's any other 64-bit Pups floating around out there which aren't based on either the current 'buntu or Slacko offerings, I'm afraid this thread will now be coming to a premature end.

Sorry to have to let all you Chrome fans down. I've taken it as far as I can.....but from this point on, will be concentrating on the 64-bit SlimJet and Iron packages. (Until such time as things go 'tits-up' with those two!)

If I do manage to figure out what the hell's needed to solve this for running in Tahr (maybe a glibc 'upgrade'? Who can tell? Anything's possible with Pup, as I'm sure you're all aware...), then I shall of course resume Chrome package production.

Until such time, in the words of the immortal Bugs Bunny....."That's all, folks!"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT:- 60.0.3112.101 will, naturally, remain available. It's the newest I can offer.

I thought it only fair to let y'all know.

Mike. :oops:

Mike Walsh

#168 Post by Mike Walsh »

Good news, boys & girls. I shall be continuing with Chrome production after all.

Following a tutorial from battleshooter, I'm now beginning to understand the use of 'library paths' and 'environment variables'. Something new I've learnt today..!

It's the kind of stuff anybody who packages (or re-packages) software needs to know. Until now, I've had no need.....

Never mind. Anyway, here is Chrome 61.0.3163.79......available from the usual location. Pepper is still taken care of automatically, and 'silent-launch' is enabled in /root/Startup.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The very newest version of lib_nss (>= 3.26), which Chrome now insists on, lives locally within the /chrome directory, and is called by LD_PRELOAD. The main 'chrome' lib and 'chrome-sandbox' are both treated with PhilB's 'bbe' script, and iguleder's 'libpuppygc.so' is still in residence, convincing Chrome that Puppy is just a normal user!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Details of 'fixes' at the usual URL:-

https://chromereleases.googleblog.com/

Any probs, y'all know where to find me.....but do be aware, these recent releases are getting increasingly 'unstable' in Puppy, no matter what we do. Spontaneous 'shutdowns' are becoming more & more common; I make no guarantees. :lol:

Enjoy.

peebee

#169 Post by peebee »

Mike Walsh wrote:The main 'chrome' lib and 'chrome-sandbox' are both treated with PhilB's 'bbe' script, and iguleder's 'libpuppygc.so' is still in residence, convincing Chrome that Puppy is just a normal user!
Hi Mike
Have you found a need to "bbe" chrome-sandbox?? I don't, and haven't noticed a problem....
Cheers
peebee
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

Mike Walsh

#170 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi, Peter.

No, not a specific need, as such.....but it does cut down on crap in the terminal, and, as Oscar found out, dbus doesn't seem to get quite so confused as to what's happening..!

I tell you this, though; these recent releases are getting more and more temperamental. This current Chrome, and as I said to you a little while ago, Chromium 60, every time I try to upload anything with either of 'em, instant 'crash'. I have never come across as many problems as I have this last few releases. Unless it's just my system. (*shrug*)

SlimJet and Iron.....smooth sailing. Nary a problem.....yet!

Give it time..... :roll: :lol:

orrin

#171 Post by orrin »

Hi Mike,

Just like version 60, 61 will not start in Slacko 64-6.3.2
I reloaded 59 which works OK!

Thanks anyway!

Mike Walsh

#172 Post by Mike Walsh »

@orrin:-

See my reply to your post in the Iron thread. Did you ever install that GTK3/GDK3 stuff, BTW?

Pelo

Chromium Versión 60.0.3112.78

#173 Post by Pelo »

Chromium Versión 60.0.3112.78 (Build para desarrolladores) (64 bits)
on test with shiba inu 64 (included in the Puppy by Josejp2424)
Chromium has never been my cup of tea. So i am not used to it.
However i never had real problems with older versions

..desarrolladores : developers

Well i translate the topic, to share your ideas if any.

jake29

#174 Post by jake29 »

Thanks Mike, glad to see development continue. I appreciate the effort you are making here.

Regarding, GTK3 - it became a requirement with v59. Perhaps orrin intended to say v58 is the last working version for him?

orrin

#175 Post by orrin »

jake29 wrote:Thanks Mike, glad to see development continue. I appreciate the effort you are making here.

Regarding, GTK3 - it became a requirement with v59. Perhaps orrin intended to say v58 is the last working version for him?
I have GTK3 installed and Chrome 59 works OK, but it is only a backup
browser. My primary is Slimjet!

jake29

#176 Post by jake29 »

Latest build - v61.0.3163.79 - is not working with FatDog64 710.

Code: Select all

# google-chrome
/usr/bin/google-chrome: error while loading shared libraries: libpcre.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
This distro only has libnss v3.21 available, and I am unable to compile v3.26 or newer.

Mike Walsh

#177 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi, Jake.

You shouldn't actually need to. This is what battleshooter was helping me out with. What he eventually figured out was needed was to install all the required versions of libnss, gtk3, and their dependencies in a separate 'lib' folder inside the Chrome directory. These are then called by LD_PRELOAD, before the exec-line is run.

The 'libpcre' requirement...hmmm. I know I had this one with one of peebee's recent Chromium builds in Xenialpup, but I think that was a 32-bit version..... Leave it with me; let me do some tracking down. Chrome draws its code from Chromium anyway, so, we'll see what's what. I believe we can sort that one.

I know FatDog uses a weird mixture of Slackware and something else.....and Slackware are notorious for being sparing with deps, etc, as supplied. It's not a distro for beginners, I know that much.

Bear with me...

Last edited by Mike Walsh on Fri 15 Sep 2017, 10:08, edited 1 time in total.

Mike Walsh

#178 Post by Mike Walsh »

Try these, Jake:-

http://www.mediafire.com/file/kov2igqwe ... ibs.tar.gz

I'm not making any guarantees, but these are the 64-bit versions of what I needed for Chromium in Xenial. You've got libpcre.so.3, and libpng16.so.16 (which was also needed).

Give 'em a try; that's all you can do. Extract them, then place them in the /usr/lib64 directory. Let me know what happens, please.

jake29

#179 Post by jake29 »

Mike Walsh wrote:Try these, Jake:-

http://www.mediafire.com/file/kov2igqwe ... ibs.tar.gz

I'm not making any guarantees, but these are the 64-bit versions of what I needed for Chromium in Xenial. You've got libpcre.so.3, and libpng16.so.16 (which was also needed).

Give 'em a try; that's all you can do. Extract them, then place them in the /usr/lib64 directory. Let me know what happens, please.
Thanks Mike, adding those libs as instructed got this version working for me in FatDog64.

Mike Walsh

#180 Post by Mike Walsh »

Ah, good. I'm glad that's worked. Onwards and upwards..!

Just out of curiosity, are you having any problems with it if you try to upload/download anything? Are you getting any crashes?