Derivatives - a full list

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
starhawk

#61 Post by starhawk »

PAE stands for Physical Address Extension. In a nutshell it allows compatible CPUs to address more than 4gb of RAM with a 32bit operating system.

The trouble is that not all CPUs are compatible, and that the function has to be built into the OS kernel. Non-PAE kernels are compatible with all CPUs, whereas PAE kernels are compatible only with CPUs that support that feature.

s243a

Re: PAE vs Non PAE???

#62 Post by s243a »

natgab wrote:
darkcity wrote:Hi Earthray,

Great idea, have you considered making a wiki page on this subjects

could be link from heres:-

General Info
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/PuppyVersionIndex

Big List
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/PuppyVersion

:twisted:
The official list seems out of date since Precise 5.7.1 is from 2013. Surely at least one of either April or Tahrpup must be official. I will update the official list if I can get conformation that one or both of these are official.

B.K. Johnson

#63 Post by B.K. Johnson »

An important question missing from the list is: What is the desktop environment?
There is a piece of software that I would like to get but it runs only in KDE. To run it in a different desktop environment would involve a whole lot of checking of dependencies which I want to avoid.

So my question here is: which puppy ootb has the KDE desktop environment?

B.K. Johnson
tahrpup-6.0.2 PAE, slacko-5.7, frugal install, pupsave file, multi OS flashdrive, SYSLINUX boot, CPU-Dual E2140, 4GB RAM

Pelo

Puppies from France

#64 Post by Pelo »

Puppies from France See and appreciate here by a click these french Puppies.
French technicians make the Puplette for french speaking people, but the english remains the original language.
There are not copies (only translation) but a large part is artist relook (ToOppy would be the Special one, with its 2PDE desktop).
Nota : if you studied le français at school, keep them in french, you will do such a progress by using them
As i do using spanish or english speaking ones, Spanish by choice, English because nothing else

michel804

#65 Post by michel804 »

B.K. Johnson wrote:An important question missing from the list is: What is the desktop environment?
There is a piece of software that I would like to get but it runs only in KDE. To run it in a different desktop environment would involve a whole lot of checking of dependencies which I want to avoid.

So my question here is: which puppy ootb has the KDE desktop environment?
Hi B.K. Johnson, from my experience, Lighthouse Puppy has KDE. You will need the version with mariner. I have only tried LHP 6.02 extensively and my knowledge of the 64-bit edition is very limited.

Michel

Pelo

Gnumeric file of 318 puppies (still alive)

#66 Post by Pelo »

Gnumeric file of 318 puppies (still alive). If it could be of some help for somebody
Animal protection : Don't release your Puppy in the forum, if you won't care them.
Attachments
kennel.tar.gz
Gnumeric file
(17.59 KiB) Downloaded 1031 times
Last edited by Pelo on Sat 14 May 2016, 14:50, edited 3 times in total.

Turpin

#67 Post by Turpin »

Could you post a ods version? Gnumeric does that format, doesn't it? If you're going to tar.gz it, a more compatible format would still make sense and still probably compress down just as much. I chose libreoffice because I needed the features in libreoffice writer, and the extra space needed for libreoffice calc after that is less then gnumeric requires after dependencies it needs. Not only that, but libreoffice is a bit fuller featured. That said, I liked gnumeric when I used it, I just don't want to clutter up my debian install with redundant apps. If you just save it in ods, then I believe most modern spreadsheet software can then open it.

Update: I did it myself. Installed gnumeric and dependencies, opened the spreadsheet, compressed it in the tar gz, then uninstalled gnumeric and dependencies.
Attachments
kennel-ods.tar.gz
(22.46 KiB) Downloaded 1012 times

Pelo

Kennel is not a full list

#68 Post by Pelo »

Kennel is not a full list, 320 items only. but should be enough (pour y trouver son bonheur)
Merci Turpin for .ods version.
Attachments
gaillac.jpg
Puppy for adoption in our forum
(25.38 KiB) Downloaded 3190 times
Last edited by Pelo on Sun 10 Sep 2017, 10:33, edited 1 time in total.

HiDeHo

#69 Post by HiDeHo »

Hi it seems the latest puppy linux os to download from puppylinux.org and puppylinux.com are out of date. trying to find the latest ubuntu puppy built on ubuntu 16 would be nice

Pelo

puppy linux.org and many other sites are ... frozen.

#70 Post by Pelo »

puppylinux.org, puppylinux.com and many other sites are ... frozen. Create is easier than to maintain active. I don't know if 'zapping' means the same in France as in overseas countries.
However Puppies listed in these places are not just born, but perhaps they are pretty, with nice ideas, and with firmware to be wireless connected.
Give them a try and compare with newest.

Don't care how they were build, look at what they do. Often just an update of browser will give them a boost..
Ubuntu 16 perhaps no, but last packages for Xenial are available using Xenialpup... or XenialDog as long as Xenialpup will be pregnant (freezing).

About the full list, my database records 1600 puppies, but has not been updated since last year. Puppies never die, even if their puppy-builder has gone away... Some leave just the day of suscribing the forum, having released their puplet. Perhaps frightened. I don't know.

:) for instance , Puppy tahrbang is really nice. But the artist is gone. A cat as background, between so many dogs, he thought he was entering in the wrong place.
I suppose.