How to use Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 3160?

Tag300

How to use Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 3160?

#1 Post by Tag300 »

I'm trying to install drivers for the Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 3160 so I can enable my wireless card and connect to the internet with the wireless card. I have absolutely no idea on how to install software on Linux or any drivers so you will need to guide me on how to do this.

The Puppy Network Wizard doesn't show the wlan0 interface on the list of interfaces. I can't seem to find the correct driver in the list of modules listed in the "Load module" list.

I'm currently using the Racy puppy 5.5 variant if that helps. I also installed it to my flash drive using the (UUI) Universal USB Installer from Pendrivelinux.com to get it on there.

Computer Hardware according to system information:
Computer

Summary
Computer
Processor 4x Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4200M CPU @ 2.50GHz
Memory 2995MB (100MB used)
Machine Type Physical machine
Operating System Racy Puppy - 5.5
User Name root (root)
Date/Time Mon 04 Sep 2017 07:29:30 PM CDT
Display
Resolution 1368x768 pixels
OpenGL Renderer Software Rasterizer
X11 Vendor The X.Org Foundation
Audio Devices
Audio Adapter HDA-Intel - HDA Intel
Audio Adapter HDA-Intel - HDA Intel
Input Devices
AT Translated Set 2 keyboard
SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad
Sleep Button
Lid Switch
Power Button
HP WMI hotkeys
PC Speaker
HP HD Webcam
HDA Digital PCBeep
HDA Intel Mic at Ext Right Jack
HDA Intel HP Out at Ext Right Jack
Printers (CUPS)
CUPS-PDF Default
SCSI Disks
ATA HGST HTS725050A7
hp DVD A DU8A5SH
USB DISK 2.0

Operating System
Version
Kernel Linux 3.0.66 (i686)
Version #1 SMP Wed Feb 27 21:59:56 GMT-8 2013
C Library GNU C Library version 2.10.1 (stable)
Distribution Racy Puppy - 5.5
Current Session
Computer Name puppypc31424
User Name root (root)
Home Directory /root
Desktop Environment Unknown (Window Manager: JWM)
Misc
Uptime 26 minutes
Load Average 0.45, 0.41, 0.34

dancytron

#2 Post by dancytron »

Sounds like your computer is only a couple of years old. Unless you are really attached to Racy, you should try one of the more current versions with a recent kernel.

http://puppylinux.com/index.html#download

edit: To use Universal USB Installer to install a Puppy not on the list, just choose "other linux" at the bottom of the menu, it will work just fine.

foxpup

finding intel drivers

#3 Post by foxpup »

You find info here:https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en ... 05511.html

So you do need kernel 4.1 at least. I don't know if you can get that for racy. Probably not, even Carolina Vanguard just has 3.18.

Even with a newer puppy - I can recommend slacko6.9.9.9 or xenialpup7.0.8.5, take 64bit verions - you might still have to drop the .ucode files into /lib/firmware/. (Unpack the .tgz)

If that still does not work, it is possible you need another version of the driver. Then do dmesg in console and look up in the output what versions of the driver your puppy is looking for. Then google one of these versions; you will find them in the repos of ubuntu e.g.

Tag300

Re: finding intel drivers

#4 Post by Tag300 »

foxpup wrote:Even with a newer puppy - I can recommend slacko6.9.9.9 or xenialpup7.0.8.5, take 64bit verions - you might still have to drop the .ucode files into /lib/firmware/. (Unpack the .tgz)
I had absolutely no idea that there were versions of Slacko Puppy later than 6.3.2. The website (both the one I went to and the link given by dancytron) said that the latest version of Slacko Puppy was 6.3 last released on November 17, 2015. How do I find these newer versions of Puppy Linux??

I have no attachment to that version of Puppy yet. I used the version 420 on that flash drive for a while, and I could not find a way to get the router to use that so I uninstalled that OS to try and find another one that has the drivers so I can use that as a third OS in case something happens or I don't feel like using the two other Operating Systems for some reason.

mostly_lurking

#5 Post by mostly_lurking »

Tag300 wrote:I had absolutely no idea that there were versions of Slacko Puppy later than 6.3.2. The website (both the one I went to and the link given by dancytron) said that the latest version of Slacko Puppy was 6.3 last released on November 17, 2015. How do I find these newer versions of Puppy Linux??
The newer Slacko versions can be found here (forum thread), and Xenialpup is here (forum thread). I think they are still in the beta test phase and therefore not listed as official releases yet.

I don't know about those wireless drivers, so I can't make any recommendations here.

bigpup

#6 Post by bigpup »

Sorry, I think we posted about the same time.

Look in the Puppy projects section of the forum for a topic on the newer Puppies.
There are several different topics.

Example:
Slacko 6.9.9.9 is the development version of what will be Slacko 7.0
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=110510

You can also just go the the Puppy repository and find any of them.
http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/
Last edited by bigpup on Tue 05 Sep 2017, 14:52, edited 1 time in total.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

bigpup

#7 Post by bigpup »

Do not get turned off by the fact that some of these are not final release.
I am using Xenialpup64 7.0.8.5 as my main operating system.
If it still has any minor bugs.
They are not affecting me!!

Even when a Puppy is released for testing and bug fixing.
It is at the point of working OK, just not totally bug free.
But bug free is very dependent on what hardware it is running on.
As you have seen. Racy Puppy 5.5 is buggy for you.

If you do use any Puppy that is still being developed.
Be part of Puppy Community and help with the testing.
YaPI(any iso installer)

jafadmin

#8 Post by jafadmin »

Does Racy Puppy - 5.5 support using NDIS Wrappers?

If you have a MS XP "whatever.inf" and "whatever.sys" for the wireless adapter, you can use NDIS Wrapper to load the driver in the SNS.

Tag300

#9 Post by Tag300 »

I think it does, but I could not find a Windows XP .inf or .sys driver for the wireless card. Not that I need to, I found an operating system that works and actually has the drivers needed to use the wireless card. It was tahr64-6.0.5.iso. I'm also about to test Slacko64-6.9.9.9-uefi-k3.16-PM-LO.iso.

Mike Walsh

#10 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi, Tag300.

One thing you need to bear in mind (especially in Linux, and probably coming from a Microsoft background?)

Don't make the Windows mistake of thinking that the newest is always the best. Sometimes, an older OS is more suitable to an older machine; hardware requirements are lower, apps are less demanding.....this is more true than usual when talking about Puppy, since it's extremely lightweight to begin with. You just make allowances for what you can & can't do with it, and lower your expectations accordingly.

However, as dancytron says, it sounds like you have a fairly new machine.....and won't, therefore, have this problem. With an i5, and 3GB RAM, you have plenty of room for Puppy to run, and jump, and play.....and bark! :lol:

The hardware will undoubtedly benefit from a newer Puppy variant.....and from the newer kernel that comes with it. And with the Linux kernel being what it is, you won't need to install much in the way of drivers, since the kernel is currently more than 95% nothing but drivers. (And somewhere close to around 30 million lines of code, give or take a million or so either way... :lol: )

Wireless and graphics are, however, two of the exceptions, where not all drivers have yet been reverse-engineered.....
Tag300 wrote:I think it does, but I could not find a Windows XP .inf or .sys driver for the wireless card. Not that I need to, I found an operating system that works and actually has the drivers needed to use the wireless card. It was tahr64-6.0.5.iso.
An excellent choice. I run it (amongst many others!).....and while not the newest of the 64-bit Pups, it is 'time-tested', and amazingly stable. You'll enjoy using it, and there is plenty of software available. I've packaged some for it myself.

You'll find this thread most useful:-

Tahrpup64 6.0.5 CE

Mike. :wink:
Last edited by Mike Walsh on Wed 06 Sep 2017, 14:13, edited 2 times in total.

Tag300

#11 Post by Tag300 »

I already have an operating system that will work with the network card. So I don't really need to find an additional operating system. Also that computer actually has 4GB of RAM, not 3GB. The operating system I found that had the wireless card detected and used was tahr64-6.0.5.iso. There, I don't need anymore help right now.

Admins, don't disable this account, I need this as somebody disabled my other account and I could not find a way to contact them to enable the account again. If you disable this account I have to create another email address to use this forum.

Oh, and by the way I do come from a Microsoft Windows background, so I have no idea on how to install a program on Linux.

bigpup

#12 Post by bigpup »

Basic info on installing additional programs.

Program packages need to be compiled for Puppy for the best chance to work. Puppy has it's own way of doing things.
Program packages are available in several ways. What you are looking for is probably available in one of them.

Puppy Package Manager(PPM), that is installed with the version of Puppy Linux you have, is the best place to get new programs. It will open, showing programs that are known to work on your version of Puppy.
1. Run Puppy Package Manager.
2. Left mouse click on a listed program.
3. Follow install directions
4. Program installs.

Depending on the version of Puppy you have, the package manager will have option to get packages from repositories other then Puppy repositories. The package manager will need to be configured for them.
This is how:
Run Puppy Package Manager (PPM)
Select configure package manager.
Select the repositories you want to show.
Select update now.
After the update process, (it will take some time to update).
Close and restart PPM.
Should now see your new repositories at top of PPM window.
You then select the one you want to show in listings.
Note:
When getting packages from non-Puppy repositories, make sure you click on examine dependencies button (if offered) and download and install any identified as needed along with program package.
(newest version of PPM does this automatically)

Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff)section of this forum is the next best place to look. However, you must keep in mind that you will find programs that where originally compiled under a specific version of Puppy and they may or may not work with your version.
General rule is to read the posting for the program pet and see if there is any info that would indicate what version of Puppy it will work under.
Most of the stuff will work on a large portion of Puppies, but not 100% guaranteed.
You may find more then one version of a program. Sometimes that makes a difference.
1. Find a program you want.
2. Open the program topic.
3. find the link for downloading the program pet.
4. Left mouse click on the link
5. Follow the directions to either install or save.
(If you save the pet file you can install by viewing the pet file in Rox-Filer (file manager) and left click on it)
YaPI(any iso installer)

Tag300

#13 Post by Tag300 »

Thanks for helping me, just don't disable this account I now have, if you do I won't be able to use the forums.

bigpup

#14 Post by bigpup »

You may want to send flash a PM.

He has control of all that stuff.

What happened may have been a mistake or forum problem.
He needs to know about those things.
YaPI(any iso installer)

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#15 Post by Flash »

Tag300 wrote:Admins, don't disable this account, I need this as somebody disabled my other account and I could not find a way to contact them to enable the account again. If you disable this account I have to create another email address to use this forum.
Just guessing, but your other account was probably disabled by changing your email address. When you do that, the forum disables your account until you confirm by replying to the notification it sent to your old email address, which of course you didn't see. Or so I've been told. I have not confirmed it by my own testing.

I can enable your old account (which presumably is now using the new email address) if you'll send me a PM telling me the name it used and the new email address you tried to change it to. After you confirm that it is working, by sending me a PM from it, I'll delete your Tag300 account. If you'd rather stick with the Tag300 account, you don't have to do anything.

foxpup

#16 Post by foxpup »

Tag300 wrote:The operating system I found that had the wireless card detected and used was tahr64-6.0.5.iso.
Just for info:
Did you have to change the kernel to 4.1.x?

rcrsn51

#17 Post by rcrsn51 »

foxpup wrote:
Tag300 wrote:The operating system I found that had the wireless card detected and used was tahr64-6.0.5.iso.
Just for info:
Tahr64 contains the firmware file iwlwifi-3160-7.ucode, so I'm guessing that it's compatible with his chipset.

foxpup

#18 Post by foxpup »

rcrsn51 wrote:
foxpup wrote:
Just for info:
Tahr64 contains the firmware file iwlwifi-3160-7.ucode, so I'm guessing that it's compatible with his chipset.
I think I get it: your card is supported since kernel 3.10, Tahr is k3.14.
My card, 3165, is supported since kernel 4.1.
https://wireless.wiki.kernel.org/en/use ... rs/iwlwifi

Tag300

#19 Post by Tag300 »

foxpup wrote:Just for info:
No, it reports the kernel as being "Linux 3.14.54 (x86_64)" in System Information. Also, I am posting on the operating system I just installed to the flash drive.

Tag300

#20 Post by Tag300 »

rcrsn51 wrote: Tahr64 contains the firmware file iwlwifi-3160-7.ucode, so I'm guessing that it's compatible with his chipset.

I think I get it: your card is supported since kernel 3.10, Tahr is k3.14.
My card, 3165, is supported since kernel 4.1.
https://wireless.wiki.kernel.org/en/use ... rs/iwlwifi
If I use that iwlwifi-3160-7.ucode firmware file on an older kernel version, like the one with Puppy 431, will it work with that kernel version and detect my chipset?