KDEnlive - XenialPup64

Audio editors, music players, video players, burning software, etc.
mikeslr

KDEnlive - XenialPup64

#1 Post by mikeslr »

Hi All,

Base on Lazy Puppy's report of successfully building KDEnlive for Tahrpup 6.0.2, and recommendation of the same as a video editor, http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 013#966013, I decided to see if a build for XenialPup64 would be successful.

I did that entirely using Puppy Package Manager. All credit should go therefore to the Woof team.

The build was straight-forward, subject to the quirk of "Ubuntu-based" 64-bit systems in that they do not recognize the folder into which Ubuntus place, and expect to find, 64-bit libraries.

For more detailed instructions on building 64-bit applications, see http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 945#960945

1. Start Menu>Setup>Puppy Package Manager.
2. Configure PPM to download and not remove debs to a folder, in this case /mnt/home/temp/KDEnlive_xen64-5.1
3. Have PPM search for kdenlive.
4. Select same, change command from install to 'download all and dependencies'.

Edit: 4a. See LazyPuppy's post, next following. Add frei0r-plugins.* [Note, that's a 0 (zero) between "frei" and "r".]

5. Click 'Do it'. Wait for the downloading of the many debs to complete. [Although there were many debs, when completed the KDEnlive.sfs only occupied 57 Mbs, 13 more than Openshot. PaDS handled the creation with aplumb].
6. Run Lazy Puppy's PaDS on KDEnlive_xen64-5.1 folder. Wait for SFS to be created at /root.

[On 32-bit OSes, the following is probably unnecessary unless you desire to change the name of the desktop file and/or make certain KDEnlive will appear on the Multimedia Submenu. In other words, KDEnlive should run as built. IIRC, although the name appearing on the menu will be kdenlive, the file appearing at /usr/share/applications began with something like 'org.kde'. More importantly, the Categories argument had as its first entries KDE and QT. Puppies, reading those, might not get to its subsequent entries, 'AudioVisual' etc. and fail to generate a menu-listing. Skip to Step 13].

7. Move resulting SFS out of /root -- as it takes up RAM.
8. Create blank folder --in this case I named it KDEnlive_xen64-5.1.8. Open it in file-manager.
9. Left-click KDEnlive_xen64-5.1.sfs to mount it. Copy its contents to KDEnlive_xen64-5.1.8 folder. Left-click KDEnlive_xen64-5.1.sfs to unmount it.
10. Open a second file-manager window to the KDEnlive_xen64-5.1.8 folder. Browse in one window to /usr/lib and in the second window to /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu. Move all files and folders from /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu to /usr/lib.
11. Edit KDEnlive's /usr/share/applications desktop file. See above.
12. Browse up so you can see the KDEnlive_xen64-5.1.8 folder. Open a terminal and type, code:

dir2sfs KDEnlive_xen64-5.1.8.

Right-click the resulting KDEnlive_xen64-5.1.8.sfs, select move. Then, you're good to go. Run it.

I later ran it by opening a terminal and typing just kdenlive. Two minor errors appeared, which did not effect the running of the application.

mikesLr

* The easy way is to just type frei0r in PPM's search box. In XenialPup64, PPM will offer version 1.4, plus some other frei0r effects and plugins.
Last edited by mikeslr on Mon 04 Sep 2017, 13:25, edited 2 times in total.

LazY Puppy

#2 Post by LazY Puppy »

Hi mikeslr.

You should download/include the frei0r-plugins also, as they'll add a lot of transitions and effects for the use in Kdenlive.
RSH

"you only wanted to work your Puppies in German", "you are a separatist in that you want Germany to secede from Europe" (musher0) :lol:

No, but I gave my old drum kit away for free to a music store collecting instruments for refugees! :wink:

mikeslr

#3 Post by mikeslr »

Thanks, Lazy Puppy, for the pointer.

mikesLr

LazY Puppy

#4 Post by LazY Puppy »

The latest version of frei0r plugins is 1.6.1 where the tahr's version is 1.1.22. I had compiled 1.6.1 successfully in Tahr64, so it might be worth a try in Xenial as well?
RSH

"you only wanted to work your Puppies in German", "you are a separatist in that you want Germany to secede from Europe" (musher0) :lol:

No, but I gave my old drum kit away for free to a music store collecting instruments for refugees! :wink: