Google must be regulated

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
Moose On The Loose

#21 Post by Moose On The Loose »

belham2 wrote: Are you related to Paul Ehrlick, lol? For those that don't know who he is, go---pun intended--Google it. Nearly 23 years ago, the Nation-State was considered "dead", finished, by a majority of academics and casual observers like yourself. Yet, weirdly, here we are 23 yrs later, and the nation-states still rule not 99.999% of the world's landmass, but 100%.
You seem to have missed my point about the corporate state not being tied to locations. It is the area of economics and not geography where they are taking over. We already have quite a few companies with bigger budgets than some nations. We have private security forces working as the armies for them.

anikin

#22 Post by anikin »

New concerns over the influence of big tech's power
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZPDqzETNj0

Pelo

other bring me to the page one of the topic.

#23 Post by Pelo »

what i know is that google will brings me to the exact page of the Puppy Forum where my info is, other bring me to the page one of the topic.
About regulating, don't forget that until now you can communicate thanks to the US army. They can cut the flow when they like, where they like.
Wait a little, European satellites will get an alternative soon
What i mean is that you have no choice ! Google is the more powerful.

ahoppin

#24 Post by ahoppin »

I'm no Google fan, but does anyone else think it's a bit odd and ironic that Google's critics are using video clips posted on Youtube -- a Google service -- to slam Google?

One would think that if Google were truly omnipotent and omniscient, they wouldn't allow their own service to be used against them.

But maybe it's to Google's benefit. Every time someone views one of these video clips, Google gets revenue from the ad views. They also get to build a database of people who might be opposed to Google. They know who you are, even if you're not logged in.

It may well be that Google has too much reach, but I'm not so sure that I trust regulators to be even-handed in reining them in. I think that what we really need is more skepticism and deeper critical thinking among the public consuming Google and other net services.

One of the things I like about Puppy (and other Linux variants) is that I think it encourages users to be more actively involved in their online activity -- to think more. These days many phones, tablets, laptops, and even desktop computers are just appliances for passive consumption, essentially 21st century television sets.

And if you want more privacy, you can open a virtual machine and boot Puppy from an ISO image with no savefile. With a vpn you have even more privacy, but that would probably require a savefile, I suppose.

perdido

#25 Post by perdido »

Google showing off its true character, then gets sued.

Google could be forced to pay over five million iPhone users £2.7 billion in compensation
as it is accused of selling their data without their consent.

That will get back a little of the £45 billion the UK is paying for brexit.

rufwoof

#26 Post by rufwoof »

perdido wrote:Google showing off its true character, then gets sued.

Google could be forced to pay over five million iPhone users £2.7 billion in compensation
as it is accused of selling their data without their consent.

That will get back a little of the £45 billion the UK is paying for brexit.
The EU (ECB) printing 20 billion more Euro's each week ... week after week for over a year makes the amount ... insignificant. Money used to be something tangible ... exchangeable for gold and stayed the same for centuries (but with significant volatility along the way around the mean). Since the US took the helm ... money is just a figure backed by nothing tangible. A means to indirectly tax ('counterfeitor' gets the benefit to spend the newly created notes whilst all other notes in circulation are devalued a little).

The EU insisted on negotiations following a course of agree a payment first and then they'll talk about what that buys. It's only a offer to get things moving and nothing is agreed until everything is agreed. Likely everything wont be agreed as the EU has too many conflicts of interests. In which case the £45 billion wont be forthcoming (and Ireland will sink into recession as it will have barriers to transporting through the UK onto the rest of the world and EU, and has 50% import tax levies applied to farm produce ...etc.). The NI border is interesting, as they'll be no border controls going from Ireland into NI (cheaper and more effective to police NI/UK mainland points of entry internally within the UK), but the EU will insist on controls the other way (310 miles land border + sea skirts, with many land owners having land that spans both). Let alone the collapse of their financial services (UK is due to history and geographic location the global #1 hub for accounting, banking and law ... trades more US$/day than are traded in the US).

anikin

#27 Post by anikin »

Professor argues eating meat promotes toxic masculinity
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ir4Ltgj4o84

belham2

#28 Post by belham2 »

The Alphabet gang is at it again :roll:

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/12/1 ... i_adwords/

"Google asks browser rival Vivaldi to post uninstall instructions
Erm, just like Google doesn't. It's an AdWords thing, innit?

By Andrew Orlowski 18 Dec 2017 at 12:21

Google asked rival browser Vivaldi to add uninstall instructions on its website download page – something Google doesn't do itself – after deactivating Vivaldi's advertising account earlier this year.

Vivaldi is among the..................
."

8Geee

#29 Post by 8Geee »

Do as I say not as I do. --Google

As long as Google behaves this way the more it looks old-school... that good ol' boys network in disguise.
Linux user #498913 "Some people need to reimagine their thinking."
"Zuckerberg: a large city inhabited by mentally challenged people."

Moose On The Loose

#30 Post by Moose On The Loose »

8Geee wrote:Do as I say not as I do. --Google

As long as Google behaves this way the more it looks old-school... that good ol' boys network in disguise.
duckduckgo works

https://www.ixquick.com/ works

There is even the search tool from the legacy software company in Washington state to consider. I think its name is "bong" or something like that.

8Geee

#31 Post by 8Geee »

Yup and Yup I use both DDG and IXQ.

There is an addon for my FF45.9esr "Google_Redirect_Fixer" that seems to tame the beast a bit (Re: maps, Earth, etc. that one might use anyway).

Regards
8Geee
Linux user #498913 "Some people need to reimagine their thinking."
"Zuckerberg: a large city inhabited by mentally challenged people."

belham2

#32 Post by belham2 »

Hello?

Morpheus?!

When and where shall the meeting be tonight??

:shock: