212,213b USB flash names not retained in Pmount, Univ Inst

Please post any bugs you have found
peppyy

#61 Post by peppyy »

Now I find no agreement between pmount and mut.
I have the following drives for the test

10gb HDA
had1 ext2 4gb,
hda2 linux swap 512mb
hda3 ext3 5gb

HDC toshiba dvd/cdrw

HDE Smart Memory card adapter on pcmcia with 128mb card

usb1 pny attache 1gb
usb2 sandisk mini cruser 2gb

There is no sr0, it is reading the cruser as such

Here is a screenshot

I will be back tonight for the next update
Puppy Linux...
It just works!

plinej

#62 Post by plinej »

What version of Puppy are you running? I see you have MUT 0.0.9b and your used and free numbers aren't populating on pmount. I would say you may want to update to a more recent version of Puppy if you want to use the dotpups I made. When you run sg_map run it like this:

sg_map -i

That will give you more information. Launch pmount from rxvt and see what errors popup, I'm guessing you are missing some necessary executables. Did you also download and install my updated Pmount-Probedisk-Probepart.pup that is several messages up? If you did install Pmount-Probedisk-Probepart.pup, make sure it is the version posted in the same message as the sg_map dotpup. I posted a couple of other versions previously.

I'll post a pic of how everything looks for me in Puppy 2.13 in a few minutes.
Last edited by plinej on Wed 03 Jan 2007, 20:25, edited 2 times in total.

plinej

#63 Post by plinej »

comparison pic:

plinej

#64 Post by plinej »

As you can see sg_map -i reports a couple of devices that don't really exist on my system (sdc & sdd). For some reason that usb drive shows up three times in my /proc/scsi/scsi so my wrapper script just greps the line from sg_map for the usb devices that are reported in /proc/partitions so all that extra information isn't being piped into probedisk. I really think this should solve the probedisk/probepart usb issues.

peppyy

#65 Post by peppyy »

I am running 2.0.1 on hda3. Since Puppy is my main os I tend to only upgrade every couple months. hda1 still has 1.0.9ce on it. Since thei is my main machine I should probably do my testing on a live cd instead of a hd install but I figure I can always fall back if I really mess up. Yes they are the most current also.

All my test machines at the moment have been adopted and I don't expect any new ones to come in real soon. The main reason I am so interested in this project is for mounting certain mp3 players like the rca lyra and such.
Puppy Linux...
It just works!

plinej

#66 Post by plinej »

You're definitely missing something that is in the more current versions of Puppy. I've tested these scripts on 2.11 and 2.13 and they both were successful.

PaulBx1

#67 Post by PaulBx1 »

I'm back, gave your new program a try:

This is after having pulled sda, so all looks good.

Some differences between MUT and pmount:

1) MUT auto-refreshes (a feature I like) after pulling a flash drive while pmount requires a manual refresh. Both require manual refreshes after inserting a flash drive.

2) MUT makes the CDROM spin every time, which is annoying; pmount doesn't.

3) MUT looks prettier (just an opinion). I also prefer buttons with English language words on them, more than the "internationalist" buttons with meaningless pictures on them. But I know I am a throwback; I hate pictures on car dashboard buttons too. The MUT drive icons are more evocative too, you know immediately what you are looking at; and I prefer the separation of function between drive icon and mount button. All this is of course personal preference.

4) MUT seems faster, even if it has to spin the CD.

5) pmount now shows more info than MUT for the flash drive description.

6)On the other hand, MUT knows my hda has two partitions and tells me what they are (correctly), while pmount misses the swap partition and tells me I have 37 terabytes of storage on the other. :lol:

7) For some reason, MUT and pmount disagree as to the size of the various partitions.

8 ) MUT can eject CDs, and I guess also play DVDs (haven't tried that yet), pmount can't.

9) pmount seems to have traded its specific warning about pulling mounted media (IIRC) for a generic one at the top. I like this newbie-friendly warning, down where the drive info is. Better than MUT in any case, in that respect.

10) MUT nicely stays put, while pmount seems to move randomly every time you do a refresh, an annoyance.

11) I like that MUT is more "alphabetical", listing hda before hdc. I notice you got the order of sdx drives alphabetical in pmount though, which is nice.

12) That blurb at the bottom of the MUT window is not really needed.

The best thing about them both, is that they now both agree at least with respect to device names/descriptions. That is a good thing. :D

I tried probedisk and probepart too, both look good as far as I can tell. Hmmm, I wonder if this fixes Universal Installer, and other programs like that? Seems like a lot of testing is called for when you are satisfied this is done.

John Doe

#68 Post by John Doe »

PaulBx1 wrote:...tells me I have 37 terabytes of storage on the other...
I just tested also. Appears to be a problem specifically with IDE HD partitions. All my USB HD (flash or enclosure) partitions are reported correctly.

PaulBx1

#69 Post by PaulBx1 »

We're not out of the woods yet. Just suffered a major corruption of my flash drives.

What happened is that I had 3 flash drives, sda being the "I-Stick", sdb being the SanDisk, and sdc being the Firefly. I had looked at something in sda, unmounted it (98% sure I did that :roll: ), pulled it out. Then I noticed the other two, which had not been mounted, were now mounted! Huh? :?

This was in MUT. I got pmount up too just to check that, and in going back and forth mounting and unmounting and trying to figure out what was going on, it got to the stage where sda didn't exist any more (the Rox window I had open for it complained when I tried to go into a directory on it), the IStick was now sdb, the Sandisk was now sdc, and the Firefly was sdd! Huh? :?

And then finally, I found out that all my files and directories had been wiped off the IStick and the Firefly! :x The SanDisk was left unmolested.

I don't know how this happened. Perhaps there is a race condition there, and I was changing the mount status too fast. Or maybe I pulled the IStick when MUT said it was unmounted, but it actually hadn't quite got all the way unmounted yet. Or maybe a sync command is missing in the script somewhere.

The good news, more or less, is that pmount and MUT always agreed as to the status of the devices, even when everything looked bogus.

I was running 213beta1 with your modified files you last posted. Since then I have upgraded to the official 213.

plinej

#70 Post by plinej »

I didn't even notice that terrabyte issue in my picture I posted. I'll have to see what I did to cause that.

plinej

#71 Post by plinej »

Alright, that was an easy fix. Reposted the Pmount-Probedisk-Probepart package at:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... ch&id=2848

I haven't encountered any data loss on my usb drives so I'm unsure what may have caused that.

plinej

#72 Post by plinej »

I'll fix pmount to display your ide drives in order like I did with the usb drives. Forgot to do that when I fixed the usb portion of the script. Got to get some sleep now though.

plinej

#73 Post by plinej »

Your ide hard drives should display in order with this update:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... ch&id=2852
Last edited by plinej on Mon 08 Jan 2007, 02:33, edited 1 time in total.

plinej

#74 Post by plinej »

PaulBx1,

To reply on some of your remarks:

I don't think displaying the swap drive is really necessary is it? It's not like you need to mount/unmount it.

I know MUT and Pmount are a little different in their display sizes. Not sure which is more accurate. Pmount uses "probepart -m" to get sizes, not sure what MUT uses but it seems to display about 1.024 times more than pmount.

Pmount does eject cds when you unmount them.

I put the generic drive warning at the top because it seemed to take up too much space if it prints out on several lines and makes the gui much longer on your screen than it needs too be.

There are things about MUT that I like but don't know much about TCL to try to update it. Pmount just seems much easier to maintain (at least for me). The fix I just posted above will display your ide hard drives in order but your ide cd drive will still be listed before your hard drives (that's the way it's laid out in the code).

pakt

#75 Post by pakt »

I've been away from this thread for a while working on other projects.

To give a little feedback, I downloaded Jason's 8 Jan dotpup and tried it on the eBox. I'm afraid I don't have much positive to report :(

I did all testing with Puppy 2.12 on a CF card w/o pup_save and a USB2.0 stick inserted in a USB1.1 port (eBox only has USB1.1).

First off, the speed advantage that the Dougal/plinej pmount had over Barry's original is gone. We're back to ~15 sec between clicking on pmount and the display of drives. That's almost exactly how long the original pmount took.

More importantly, pmount couldn't find the USB stick in over half the times I restarted or refreshed pmount.

Another worrying thing is that the USB stick mount point varied. Once I got "Disk /dev/sda /tmp/probepart/mnt" then on another try "Disk /dev/sda /dev/sda1".

But the worst thing was that pmount managed to *erase* the USB stick twice while I was testing. This happened in tests quite far apart in time and I had different contents on the stick each time. I double-checked with MUT and sure enough, the stick was empty :?

Sorry I couldn't give a more positive picture, but there it is.

Frankly, I've gone back to using MUT - it had no problem finding the USB stick every time, it updates twice as fast, the display stays on-screen and it is very easy to use.

Paul
Methinks Raspberry Pi were ideal for runnin' Puppy Linux

PaulBx1

#76 Post by PaulBx1 »

Looks like two of us have had our flash drives wiped. Back to the drawing board!

Jesse

#77 Post by Jesse »

Hi,

There is a command line equivelent to what MUT displays,
/usr/lib/mut/disks.tcl
Its output is similar to probedisk, and could be made to be identical, and I could probably even make up a version to match probepart too. If thats something that you guys are interested in?
I'm not sure if probepart or probedisk understand a superfloppy formatted hard disk correctly.

MUT gets its disk/partition sizes from /proc/partitions, so it indicates a byte size that is for a partition, rather than what a freshly formatted filesystem would have as its available space, as different filesystems have different overheads, and they are not always mounted to ask! ;).

Jesse

PaulBx1

#78 Post by PaulBx1 »

Jesse, I think it is your call whether you use your reworked probedisk/probepart, or if you hack MUT's disks.tcl. I'd point out though, that fixing probedisk/probepart to work with USB devices, also fixes the numerous applications that depend on them. I'm not actually all that interested in pmount because I like the looks of MUT better personally (specifically, words rather than pictures on buttons); my interest is in getting all those other applications like Universal Installer solid with USB devices. So my vote is to continue to get probedisk/probepart running. Or you could hack disks.tcl and rename it probedisk too, I suppose (maybe that was what you were suggesting!)

Oh, I guess I do have an interest in seeing MUT and pmount agree with each other. Looks more polished, you know. :wink:

I don't know your code of course, but I am guessing that it could not have wiped our flash drives. Or maybe it is getting confused, displaying an underlying bug somewhere else that wipes the drives. Can we chase this down by running pmount from the command line? Are there lots of debug messages in pmount? pakt, did your drives get wiped when running pmount only, or did you have MUT up too like I did?

I'm just trying to imagine what possible command or sequence of events could wipe a drive clean like that. I don't think MUT or pmount has an "rm" command in there somewhere!

Jesse

#79 Post by Jesse »

If PaulBx1 or Pakt can figure out what the steps are to get a wiped drive, then we can probably find a way to prevent that from happening again by accident.
Its probably not a 'rm' command as such, I don't expect you would find that in either pmount or MUT.
Its probably something more like mounting a filesystem twice and unmounting it once or something odd like that. Hmmm... I might go try that...

sunburnt

#80 Post by sunburnt »

This was the nightmare I encountered writing usb-auto... unreliability!
Plugging & unplugging causes a USB shuffle, making rescan nessasary.

If there's a good fix for this, I'll take another attempt at usb-auto.