EasyOS version 2.3.2, June 22, 2020

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
ETP

Easy Linux 0.4 pre-alpha, released Aug 27, 2017

#141 Post by ETP »

Hi Barry,

Thanks for this pre-alpha which is very fast and shows much promise.
Install of the image was to a 16GB micro SD card using 7-Zip and Win32diskimager in Win10.
Issues observed together with some partial dirty fixes:

1. Change of wallpaper does not survive a restart of X.

2. jwm -p showed that the single included theme is not compliant (invalid tags) but more seriously
/root/.jwmrc-personal has gone AWOL.
Ah!, I see it is no longer used in this version of jwm.
The include for it needs to be commented out in /etc/xdg/templates/_root_.jwmrc
as follows:
<!-- <Include>/root/.jwm/themes/jwm-default</Include> -->
<Include>/root/.jwm/jwmrc-theme</Include>
<!-- <Include>/root/.jwm/jwmrc-personal</Include> -->
</JWM>
Then run fixmenus.
Compliant themes for the later version of jwm were installed from here:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 688#869688

With that change & the new compliant themes jwm -p is silent.

3. Hardinfo refused to launch suggesting that permissions were a possible cause.
They were O/K, but I resolved the issue by copying /usr/lib/hardinfo to /usr/lib64

4. The exec line in Urxvt Terminal Emulator desktop file points incorrectly at rxvt. (Changed to urxvt)

5. Font display in older apps such as HTOP is poor and can be fixed by installing a couple of extra DejaVu fonts.

6. IMHO Fontwizard settings should be engaged OOTB as CRT usage is now minimal and all LCD screens benefit from it.

7. Rox Pinboard foreground still has the old yellowy colour from an earlier Quirky theme. Changed to FFFFFF for better clarity.

8. Desktop item "file" currently as I type, shows as --dir=/mnt/sde2/home
The problem with that is sde2 is a variable depending on what sticks/cards are plugged in at boot time.
Might it be possible to first set and then use in that path a global environment variable for the drive
so that the intended target is always reached?

9. SNS not connecting at first boot was seen. I cannot find anything that has changed in SNS but have seen this issue in
WoofCE Pups. In addition in recent Pups I have seen intermittent failure to connect subsequently following a reboot.
The profile is not lost but is not read. Changing to a static I/P does not cure the problem but at least eliminates
DHCP as a suspect. I do wonder whether this is something to do with more recent kernels/firmware when 2 viable cards
are detected, i.e wireless & ethernet. In the past it was quite common to need to install additional firmware before a
wireless/bt card became available for selection.

10. ListDD-2.0 was installed and used for a system check that revealed the following missing libs:

Code: Select all

Easy OS-0.4
Wed 30 Aug 10:52:05 BST 2017

Scanned Dirs: /bin /sbin /usr/bin /usr/sbin /usr/local/bin /usr/libexec /usr/games /lib /usr/lib /usr/local/lib

Scanned Binary Files: 5473

If detected, missing dependencies are listed here:

/usr/lib/bluetooth/obexd
	libebook-1.2.so.16 => not found

/usr/lib/hiawatha/libmbedtls.so.2.4.2
	libmbedx509.so.0 => not found
	libmbedcrypto.so.0 => not found

/usr/lib/hiawatha/libmbedx509.so.2.4.2
	libmbedcrypto.so.0 => not found
11. pcmcputemp was disbled as it causes unexpected drive activity. (SD card is in an adaptor with a LED)

12. The included Get Flash v 1.7.1 no longer works. Fixed by installing update_flash-1.8.
EDIT 29th Sept - Correction 1.8 only pulls in the 32-bit version of flash so v 1.7.1 does in fact need fixing.
  • Pets Installed:
    ListDD-2.0|List dynamic dependencies
    JWM_themes_update-2.0|JWM themes - support jwm >= 2.3.0
    jwm_gnome_buttons|Gnome pixmap buttons for JWM titlebar
    GetLatest64bitChromeVersionWoofQ-MK1|Get Latest Chrome Version
    google-chrome-stable_current_amd64|Access the Internet
    update_flash-1.8|Download and install Flash plugin
EDIT:
XenialXerus 16.0.4.3 release notes & changes summary.
http://www.linuxnov.com/ubuntu-16-04-3- ... nt-stacks/
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/XenialXerus/Rel ... ry/16.04.3
Last edited by ETP on Fri 29 Sep 2017, 05:40, edited 1 time in total.
Regards ETP
[url=http://tinyurl.com/pxzq8o9][img]https://s17.postimg.cc/tl19y14y7/You_Tube_signature80px.png[/img][/url]
[url=http://tinyurl.com/kennels2/]Kennels[/url]

pupmate

#142 Post by pupmate »

Eventually managed to get Easy 0.4 to run frugally on my MrChromebox.tech modified hp chromebox using external drive (essentially now a dual boot chromebox/pc but with messy bootup ctl-L esc 2), by following Barry's instructions to edit BOOT_SPECS file.

Tried to install RCRSN51's hplip_print_fd600_3.14.4.pet to get my ENVY4500 all-in-one to work, but when tried test print using edit prog it helpfully told me it couldn't find a file /usr/lib/cups/filter/hpcups.
After a lot of searching and reading, found file in hidden .session directory, but as .session/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/cups/filter/hpcups.
Copied cups directory out to /usr/lib directory so file now .session/usr/lib/cups/filter/hpcups and BINGO! printing now works after restart.
Now tried to get scanning to work with RCRSN51's hplip_scan_fd600_3.14.4.pet. Similarly to the above, had to make peasyscan directory in .session/usr/local/ and then config directory within this, then config.cfg file within .session/usr/local/peasyscan/config/ and BINGO! scanning works after restart.

Just my 2 pennyworth of contribution for anyone interested.

Terry

mikeslr

Why isn't /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/ found?

#143 Post by mikeslr »

Hi All and Any,

pupmate "After a lot of searching and reading, found file in hidden .session directory, but as .session/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/cups/filter/hpcups. Copied cups directory out to /usr/lib". Emphasis supplied

I thought this problem was unique to Puppies woof-built from Ubuntu binaries. http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 945#960945, noting that those Puppies can't find libs located at /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu, /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu, or /usr/local/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu. I've since either experienced, or read, of the problem on 64-bit Slackos.

A couple of solution were proposed on that thread. If I recall correctly, I only tried the Ubuntu_MultiArch-0.1.pet I provided once. It didn't work and I don't have the skills to figure out why. It was an attempt to implement LateAdopter's suggestion to edit id.so.conf.

At any rate, some solution to how Puppies (and similar) manage 64-bit libraries, especially if they are to be installed from 'alien' distros, should be developed.

mikesLr

pupmate

#144 Post by pupmate »

Hi mikeslr,

I think the point was that what i tried successfully in Quirky Xerus64 8.3, didn't work in Easy0.4.

The two look to be structurally the same with s.sfs and both built from ubuntu binaries.

I just wanted a working printer and scanner and with no access to a standard linux file system ie / downwards, made this difficult.

Thought I'd pass on what i'd found.

Your thread, however, was very interesting to read. Quite why the x86_64-linux-gnu bit slipped into the file structure when both were built the same way by Barry is, to me, a mystery. Is there a difference between versions of ubuntu 16.04 and 16.04.3 ?

Thanks

Terry

pupmate

#145 Post by pupmate »

To answer my own question, I've just downloaded ubuntu 16.04.3 LTS, put it on a pen-drive and run the pc from it.

The file structure of /usr/lib/cups/filter/hpcups is there, no sign of x86_64-linux-gnu bit.

Seems it's an invention of Easy0.4.

Also it isn't in Easy0.3 either.

For what it's worth.

Terry

radky

#146 Post by radky »

ETP wrote:
/root/.jwmrc-personal has gone AWOL.
Hi ETP,

The /root/.jwm/jwmrc-personal file is indeed missing in Easy Linux 0.4 pre-alpha.

Just copy from a prior version of Easy or Quirky, and it works fine with JWM-2.3.7. :)
[color=blue][b][url=http://www.smokey01.com/radky/PupMates.html]PupMates[/url][/b][/color]

ETP

Easy Linux 0.4 pre-alpha, released Aug 27, 2017

#147 Post by ETP »

Hi radky,

Thanks for that fix. I was certainly barking up the wrong tree there. :lol:
The failure to save changes to ~/Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPin still has me foxed.

@Barry

The intermittent issue of ethernet failing to connect at first boot and reboot seems to date
from Dec 2016 when a better test for a live ethernet cable plugged in at 1st bootup was first introduced.
However the fact that it was introduced implies that problems were seen prior to that time.

The current test, now contained in /etc/rc.d/rc.network_eth is plainly erratic and falsely failing.
On the assumption that it is a timing issue I have inserted an additional 2 second sleep at line 24 & will see if
that is of any benefit.
If it helps a simpler alternate test might be:

cat /sys/class/net/eth0/carrier
It returns 1 for yes or 0 for no.
Regards ETP
[url=http://tinyurl.com/pxzq8o9][img]https://s17.postimg.cc/tl19y14y7/You_Tube_signature80px.png[/img][/url]
[url=http://tinyurl.com/kennels2/]Kennels[/url]

BarryK
Puppy Master

#148 Post by BarryK »

don570 wrote:

gunzip --stdout easy-0.4-amd64.img.gz | dd of=/dev/sdc bs=1m 
didn't work

gunzip --stdout easy-0.4-amd64.img.gz | dd of=/dev/sdc bs=4m 
did work to install on stick.

I don't know what dd does with "bs=1m".
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

BarryK
Puppy Master

#149 Post by BarryK »

pupmate wrote:Eventually managed to get Easy 0.4 to run frugally on my MrChromebox.tech modified hp chromebox using external drive (essentially now a dual boot chromebox/pc but with messy bootup ctl-L esc 2), by following Barry's instructions to edit BOOT_SPECS file.

Tried to install RCRSN51's hplip_print_fd600_3.14.4.pet to get my ENVY4500 all-in-one to work, but when tried test print using edit prog it helpfully told me it couldn't find a file /usr/lib/cups/filter/hpcups.
After a lot of searching and reading, found file in hidden .session directory, but as .session/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/cups/filter/hpcups.
Copied cups directory out to /usr/lib directory so file now .session/usr/lib/cups/filter/hpcups and BINGO! printing now works after restart.
Now tried to get scanning to work with RCRSN51's hplip_scan_fd600_3.14.4.pet. Similarly to the above, had to make peasyscan directory in .session/usr/local/ and then config directory within this, then config.cfg file within .session/usr/local/peasyscan/config/ and BINGO! scanning works after restart.

Just my 2 pennyworth of contribution for anyone interested.

Terry
Hi,
You are not supposed to access the .session folder, that's why it is hidden.

This has what you want:

/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/cups/filter/hpcups

...well, it should be there.

Multilib can be a pain, when files are no longer in /usr/lib.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#150 Post by BarryK »

Guys,
Thanks for the feedback. I will get onto working through the bug reports soon.

For now, have been working on shellCMS, a new Content Management System for bkhome.org and easyos.info.

My new blog:

http://easyos.info/news/

New Easy docs:

http://easyos.info/docs/

My archived projects and personal site:

http://bkhome.org/

Next thing, I plan to import the old "frugal install", and "how Easy works" pages into Easy Docs, and revise them.

There are some issues with the frugal install instructions, so I will be going through the procedure again.

jd7654

#151 Post by jd7654 »

Tried Easy 0.4 from standard USB install on two laptops, both with working Quirky 8.3 frugal installs:

This one with Intel chipset works fine. The other with AMD chipset did a black screen after initial boot, similar to other problem report, although vtys were responding so could go ctrl-alt-f2 and soft reboot. And going back to Xwin on vty4 the display shows a split second blink of the desktop but goes back to black.

don570

#152 Post by don570 »

The app image of mypaint works in Easy linux

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 846#966846

I find if I try to launch it with a command in the terminal --->

./MyPaint-1.3.0-git.78e083f.glibc2.15-x86_64.AppImage
Result ----> X crashes and
I need to type 'xwin' to launch X again.

Better to double click on file icon in Rox filer :lol:
It seems to be stable then.

Also I find Easy crashes when I try to move a Rox Filer window
using the window menu and selecting 'Move'

Sage

#153 Post by Sage »

Mine of p.1 refers.
With v0.4 can't say my views have changed much since then, except presently running it (well, almost) on 16Gb USB stick.
We now have Pt.s 1 & 2 explaining what it's all about and how to use it. Read Pt.1, not intended for the likes of YT, of course, and, predictably, although I know all the words, understood little. So read Pt.2 for "users" - me. Now I really don't need to be told how to unzip a file, nor how to write an image to USB - all full Linux OSes seem to have the ImageWrite utility, as well as the devil's OS. The remainder of the blurb was convoluted also, neither Parts hardly engender use of the word "EASY".
I ran it - eventually - S_L_O_W_L_Y. I could not achieve a resolution or screen disposition, even with my SotA HW, that was entirely visible; the icons and windows were always off-screen l.h.s. Resolution changes were ineffective. CTRL-ALT_BKSPCE isn't working, inter alia.
INMVHO, this one is a loser. It hasn't got an obvious user appeal, as evidenced by the tiny, by Puppy standards, number of Forum contributors and contributions.
Elsewhere, there is considerable adverse discussion about the recent state of the breed(s). On the one hand, every developer is free to follow their own nose, but, if something's worth doing...& co. Good science deserves inordinate dedication and perseverance - at least, that's what I used to drill into my research students.
The overwhelming demand is for an OS that is truly SIMPLE to load, lightweight in both the RAM and Mb connotations, does regular functions OOTB, boots to a modest default screen with network connected and sound up. It should also probably concentrate on 32bit only - there simply is no advantage with 64 (or 128) bit mathematics in this application thanks to the USDoJ, AMD and (even) the EU. 32bit works on everything after 16bit's demise.
Of course, there are other interesting projects which could benefit from different Linux approaches, like RPi & clones, and mobiles/tablets/Android. [Hopefully, the market for laptops will soon collapse once users have dropped enough of them and discovered the cost and nuisance of repairs, even of the DIY variety.]
Regular Puppy was going so well and so was Slacko, shame that BK & micko are moving on, but hey ho, they're entitled.

cthisbear

#154 Post by cthisbear »

" The overwhelming demand is for an OS that is truly SIMPLE to load,
lightweight in both the RAM and Mb connotations, does regular functions OOTB, boots to a modest default screen with network connected and sound up. It should also probably concentrate on 32bit only "

"""""""""""

That's why I like >> Woof CE Debian Stretch.

from ttuuxxx

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 228#967228

Chris.

Sage

#155 Post by Sage »

That one is a bit too retro, cb!
What's so tantalising is that Slacko 6.9.6.4 was almost there (I still use it). micko shares the genius of BK, but rightly he has to put his family and career first. He has made some updates but I suppose all developers at the coalface tend to get seduced by the siren bleatings of the small cadre of kiddies wanting go-faster stripes.

foxpup

Re: wifi connection

#156 Post by foxpup »

BarryK wrote:
foxpup wrote:I can setup wifi with SNS, as in all puppies.
To setup wifi connection at bootup I put/link rc.network in the Startup direcory. That normally works, but not in easy 0.3 (nor in Quirky Xerus).
Even worse: in SNS the first offer to use the profile wlan0 (connect now) does not work. So I have to go through the setup of the interface again.

Is the profile not persistent? Or does it only look that way?
Running SNS verbose in console shows an error about 10 lines before exit:

ifconfig: SIOCSIFFLAGS: Unknown error 132
I also experienced that, and then the problem just "went away".

I suspect it might have gone away after I selected the "CRD" in quicksetup. If you run quicksetup (Setup menu), you will see the CRD listbox. Choose your country, and see if that fixes it.
This does not solve it for me. Same error and same behaviour of non-persistence with CRD : BE Belgium.
IIRC I had a similar problem in LxPupSc. There it went away by setting CRD: 00 UNSET !
EDIT: in LxPupSc version 17.09.21 the problem has completely disappeared now! CRD: BE Belgium works as expected and I have wifi at startup.
Last edited by foxpup on Mon 18 Sep 2017, 19:06, edited 1 time in total.

belham2

#157 Post by belham2 »

Hi Barry and all,

When first using Easy Linux 4.0, I did the full install image to a USB and have had (honestly) zero major problems with it. There's little things that need fixing, but nothing in my mind worth mentioning. The Container function runs great, and is dam# near impregnable in my tests. But, I decided to do a 'frugal' install of Easy 4.0, and everything went great though I ran into some weird problem with Seamonkey.

Basically, after doing an inital setup & creating the first save on shutdown (along with xz to gz conversion on reboot), the problem is Seamonkey will not launch outside of the Container at all at next boot or thereafter
. Here are the steps that led to this:

1) did the 'frugal'install, followed bootcode instructions.

2) Easy launches great, I begin setting up Seamonkey (outside the Container first) which seems to go well. I mean, it launches and closes and launches no problems.

3) I do nothing else to Easy except launch Easy Package manager to update it, then closed it. Then I add a file to /root/.jwm where I created a "jwmrc-personal" file, with only one entry that allows the jwm tray to show the minixcal clock in big, bold font. Here's the entry:

<ClockStyle>
 <Font>Ionic Charge-18:slant=italic:weight=demibold</Font>
</ClockStyle>
Saved this, went back to desktop, restarted Jwm, all was fine as the clock jumped up to my setting.

4) Then I restarted, created the savefile, and booted back in.

5) Upon booting back in, everything looks great except Seamonkey will not launch at all. Not from the Menu, not going into /usr/sharea/pplications & clicking its desktop file, and not even going directly to /usr/libs/seamonkey folder and/or /usr/bin/ folder and clicking the mozilla symlink that starts it. Nothing will launch Seamonkey.

6) Yet, if I now launch Seamonkey in "ec-chroot", it starts right up as it should, and I go about doing all the same settings as before when Seamonkey is 'outside' the Container.

Anyone seeing this too in a 'frugal' install? Any ideas, Barry??

Lastly, have another question about Easy, whether 'frugal' and/or full installed to usb-----after we download the easy-devx, is there no option to "load-on-the-fly" the devx? Is that not possible with how Easy is setup? I wanted to compile some stuff, but saw that I had to use Easy BootManager every time to load the devx at startup, then restart so the devx is loaded, do my compiling, then have to reset Easy BootManager once more & reboot just to get the Easy-devx unloaded.

What am i missing here? This is a bit cumbersome, haha :wink: Is using SFS-Load-on-the-fly verbotten with Easy Linux??

Thanks for help and/or feedback about the above. In my eyes, this Container stuff is super, and increases the security of using a pup or pup-like OS exponentially. No other pup comes close to this..... [/code]

belham2

#158 Post by belham2 »

[followup for 'frugal' installed EasyLinux4.0 Seamonkey problem]

Ok, took a further look at this, and here's the problem: notice in the /usr/bin/seamonkey script anything weird?

#!/bin/sh
 APP='/usr/bin/seamonkey.bin'
[ -f /root/spot/.mozilla/seamonkey/a2bvafqx.default/places.sqlite ] && ln -snf /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/seamonkey/seamonkey /usr/bin/seamonkey.bin
#script to run $APP as spot...
ARGS=""
[ $1 ] && while [ "$1" ]; do ARGS="$ARGS \"$1\""; shift; done
if [ $(id -u) -eq 0 ]; then
 [ $XAUTHORITY ] && cp $XAUTHORITY /root/spot/.Xauthority 2>/dev/null
 touch /root/spot/.Xauthority
 #following line is mostly there to catch any root:root files that may have got copied in...
 chown -R spot:spot /root/spot &
 export XAUTHORITY=/root/spot/.Xauthority  
 export XDG_CONFIG_HOME=/root/spot/.config
 export XDG_CACHE_HOME=/root/spot/.cache
 export XDG_DATA_HOME=/root/spot/.local/share
 exec su spot -s /bin/sh -c "\"$APP\" $ARGS"
else #precaution
 exec "$APP" "$ARGS"
fi
Specifically, this line:

[ -f /root/spot/.mozilla/seamonkey/a2bvafqx.default/places.sqlite ] && ln -snf /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/seamonkey/seamonkey /usr/bin/seamonkey.bin 
If you check your directory for the actual Seamonkey folder, it is NOT in ......./x86_64-linux-gnu....... The script is creating a broken link shortcut every time for seamonkey.bin when the seamonkey spot script in /usr/bin is launched. So, to remedy this, remove the ...../x86_64-linux-gnu......and you'll have the regular Seamonkey (outside the Container) running again as 'spot'.

Weird that this problem only occurs in 'frugal' boots and not for full-install easylinux. Is no one else running this 'frugally' and didn't see this?? Or did my playing with adding a simple 'jwmrc.personal" file to the /root/.jwm folder cause this? Either way, it's fixed now.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#159 Post by BarryK »

Getting back onto developing Easy!

Have compiled the 4.13.2 kernel:

http://bkhome.org/news/201709/linux-ker ... piled.html

Right now, refreshing my memory on how whiteout files work in aufs.

As Easy is a return to using SFS files, multiple layers using aufs, need to think about whiteout files when the layers change. Plus regenerate the JWM menu, etc.

Puppy has code that does this, and I will use just what is absolutely essential. I was reading the bootup code in Puppy, and it is very complex. Quirky and Easy are simpler, and I want to keep the Easy bootup scripts as simple as possible.

radky

#160 Post by radky »

BarryK wrote:
Getting back onto developing Easy!
Have compiled the 4.13.2 kernel:
Pup-SysInfo-2.7.3
- Add support for parsing Cpu frequency in Pups with kernels >=4.13

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=73101

---

BarryK wrote:
There is also a new package, PupApps 2.2, by radky.
PupApps-3.0
- Major update of user interface
- Accessory tray is now optional (enable/disable in Preferences)
- Adjust number of utility apps in accessory tray, now similar to PupControl
- Add support for additional popular applications in tabbed environment
- Add compatibility with BK's Quirky and Easy OS

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=61962

Thanks
[color=blue][b][url=http://www.smokey01.com/radky/PupMates.html]PupMates[/url][/b][/color]