How I got Wake On LAN (WOL) working between two Puppies

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
MrToad

How I got Wake On LAN (WOL) working between two Puppies

#1 Post by MrToad »

A number of folk have asked recently about this. There is already material on this forum about WOL and I reference some of it in this post, but at the risk of a bit of repetition I thought that my experience of what I did to get WOL going on a couple of Puppies might also be of interest. It was actually very straightforward.

First things first: I came across a puppy package that does the job nicely. It's the puppy wolandarp.tar.gz package and it may be found at
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=28856

The readme file that is part of that package contains some useful info and I found it very helpful.

Before I discovered that package I found some other useful info at http://cameacross.wordpress.com/2009/04 ... me-server/ - it's well worth a look.

Also see: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... a261527110 for a little bit more info.

Here is what I did:

For my Celeron machine with Puppy 4 (Dingo), I "installed" wol and arp (ethtool was already installed) from the Puppy wolandarp.tar.gz package as per the instructions in the readme: I simply copied them to /root/my-applications/bin.

Then in a terminal I ran

ethtool eth0

The two "wake-on" lines told me which wake-on-LAN modes the network interface eth0 supports, and if/which mode is enabled. In my case it wasn't enabled - it was "d", not "g" - so I changed it. It wasn't hard: in a terminal I ran

ethtool -s eth0 wol g

and that enabled WOL - ie it set the "g" option, that sets it to wake up that computer on receiving the Magic Packet.

Next (in a terminal) I ran

ifconfig eth0

which identified its MAC number as 00:06:4F:02:04:64

then I shut the system down and left it turned off.

Next I "installed" wol and arp on a second machine (Sony Vaio/Fluppy 8 ).

Both machines were on my LAN.

On the Sony Vaio I opened a terminal and ran

wol 00:06:4F:02:04:64

which started up the Celeron box!

(Note: I am quite happy for this machine's MAC number to be visible here because I recently scrapped it. But before that the above WOL arrangement worked on it without any problems for six months.)

Just for fun I then set everything up to work the other way round (Celeron/Puppy 4 starting the Sony Vaio.Fluppy 8 ), which it did without any problem.

Finally I wrote a simple script that I could run from an icon on the desktop:

------------------

#!/bin/sh

# This sends the "Magic Packet" to my desktop machine.

exec wol 00:06:4F:02:04:64

------------------

And that was it.

I hope some of this is useful.

MrToad

James186282

#2 Post by James186282 »

great except my machine came stock with this crap turned on and every morning the machine I turned off is back on. Puppy doesn't have the classic shutdown scripts (I think?) where I suspect someone has used a script to turn wol on.

Any ideas on how to turn this feature off and keep it from being turned back on everytime I shut down? I think security wise this is an awful idea.

I wonder if there is an easy way to track which machine is issuing magic packets so I can take an Axe to it?
Science is what we understand well enough to explain to a computer.
Art is everything else we do.
[i]Donald Knuth [/i]

belham2

#3 Post by belham2 »

James186282 wrote:great except my machine came stock with this crap turned on and every morning the machine I turned off is back on. Puppy doesn't have the classic shutdown scripts (I think?) where I suspect someone has used a script to turn wol on.

Any ideas on how to turn this feature off and keep it from being turned back on everytime I shut down? I think security wise this is an awful idea.

I wonder if there is an easy way to track which machine is issuing magic packets so I can take an Axe to it?

James,

Every BIOS in existence (since about a decade ago) comes with the ability to disable WOL. Go into your BIOS, set it this way (it'll be a toggle of "enable" or "disable") and it'll never bother you again.