Run_woof AppDir

News, happenings
woodenshoe-wi

Run_woof AppDir

#1 Post by woodenshoe-wi »

I have been working on enhancing the run_woof script and I think it's finished, but of course when trying to test for bugs they are always in the things you don't think to test. That is why I am now asking for help.

Prerequisites:
- A Linux system that has root or sudo access
run_woof should work with either bash or dash as /bin/sh

- Disk space in an ext2/3/4 partition
An arm/raspbian/stretch build takes at least 5GiB, the woof-CE README recommends 6-10GBs
Running Puppy Linux with a save folder on a partition with enough space might work, but I have not tested it and do not know if it would slow the process down running all the disk access through AUFS. A "full install" is not needed, I do my builds in a separate partition that I mount in a regular install of Puppy Linux.

- Download bandwidth
An arm/raspbian/stretch build has about 450MiB of packages downloaded in local-repositories, and if you are not running Puppy Linux you will also need to download a Puppy Linux iso and devx. Of course you can also be running one version of Puppy Linux and use a different version of Puppy Linux for run_woof, but if you want to run a 64 bit version of Puppy Linux with run_woof you need to be running a 64 bit kernel. Running a 32 bit version of Puppy Linux using run_woof with a 64 bit kernel works fine. (The version of dpkg-deb from older versions of Slacko Puppy can't process some of the newer deb packages. It has been fixed in slacko-6.9.9.9 but there seems to be a problem with gtkdialog using this version with run_woof)

- Time
Building takes hours.

Usage:

You can download run_woof from
https://github.com/puppylinux-woof-CE/run_woof

Click “Clone or download
Last edited by woodenshoe-wi on Fri 11 Aug 2017, 14:48, edited 1 time in total.

belham2

Re: Run_woof AppDir

#2 Post by belham2 »

[quote="woodenshoe-wi"]I have been working on enhancing the run_woof script and I think it's finished, but of course when trying to test for bugs they are always in the things you don't think to test. That is why I am now asking for help.

Prerequisites:
- A Linux system that has root or sudo access
run_woof should work with either bash or dash as /bin/sh

- Disk space in an ext2/3/4 partition
An arm/raspbian/stretch build takes at least 5GiB, the woof-CE README recommends 6-10GBs
Running Puppy Linux with a save folder on a partition with enough space might work, but I have not tested it and do not know if it would slow the process down running all the disk access through AUFS. A "full install" is not needed, I do my builds in a separate partition that I mount in a regular install of Puppy Linux.

- Download bandwidth
An arm/raspbian/stretch build has about 450MiB of packages downloaded in local-repositories, and if you are not running Puppy Linux you will also need to download a Puppy Linux iso and devx. Of course you can also be running one version of Puppy Linux and use a different version of Puppy Linux for run_woof, but if you want to run a 64 bit version of Puppy Linux with run_woof you need to be running a 64 bit kernel. Running a 32 bit version of Puppy Linux using run_woof with a 64 bit kernel works fine. (The version of dpkg-deb from older versions of Slacko Puppy can't process some of the newer deb packages. It has been fixed in slacko-6.9.9.9 but there seems to be a problem with gtkdialog using this version with run_woof)

- Time
Building takes hours.

Usage:

You can download run_woof from
https://github.com/puppylinux-woof-CE/run_woof

Click “Clone or download

woodenshoe-wi

Woof_gui

#3 Post by woodenshoe-wi »

I definitely agree that woof-CE is a "work in progress" and not the easiest to use, but then again I first discovered Puppy Linux years ago from a link at the "Linux From Scratch" project, so I might not be a typical user...

I can't take the credit for the woof_gui script, it has been in woof-CE since the initial commit. I just wanted to bring it to the attention of any new builders that might prefer using it, but I don't really use it myself.

The original run_woof script was written by dimkr/Iguleder as a command line script to allow woof-CE to be run in a non Puppy Linux disro. When I saw that someone was trying to do a woof-CE build from Ubuntu I thought run_woof might be the best solution but I wanted to try it out myself before I recommended it to anyone.

I basically wrote a gui for the run_woof script, not woof-CE. And because some people don't like using git, I added the ability to clone and update the woof-CE repo when run_woof starts.

Unfortunately this doesn't solve any of the shortcomings of woof-CE except being able to run in Ubuntu now...

I was trying to write a basic overview of the woof-CE process, everything that starts with 'run_woof#' is a command you would type into the terminal that run_woof pops up, not part of run_woof. If you have any suggestions for making the instructions clearer or found any bugs in run_woof I would be interested to hear from you, but I'm not asking you to test it if you don't want to because it doesn't fix any of the problems you mentioned.

wiak

#4 Post by wiak »

Please see here (along with the eight posts following the initial one):

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 690#965690

Not sure if you are responsible for github woof-CE-testing commit:
wdlkmpx merge2out: delete EMPTYDIRMARKER in woof-out../huge_kernel
Unfortunately, the erroneous commit just prior to that causes a lot of people to waste many many hours of time (since makepup is a new project with considerable interest)... I will try to use the rationalise branch in my makepup project, since I appreciate using "testing branch" can be risky, though will take me some time to make that move.

I'm just trying makepup with the currently latest merge2out commit in the hope that that does indeed fix the download kernel issue that resulted from the previous commit (EDIT: it does).

wiak

woodenshoe-wi

GitHub username

#5 Post by woodenshoe-wi »

My GitHub username is woodenshoe-wi.

wdlkmpx is jlst on the forum.

wiak

#6 Post by wiak »

All good now jlst. It was my fault anyway for using woof-CE-testing by default. Now using default rationalise, though I don't actually know what rationalise is (but have seen it used recently by forum members building from woof-CE manually - most recent build work I've seen on the forum seems to use either testing or rationalise and not master branch).

cheers, wiak