"magic" packets, WOL (Wake up your turned off computer)

Using applications, configuring, problems
James186282

"magic" packets, WOL (Wake up your turned off computer)

#1 Post by James186282 »

I finally decided that I might NOT be loosing my mind more then usual and when I shut down my system taped a piece of paper over the power switch with "OFF" scribbled on it (After insuring it was off) and woke up to find it back on asking me which puppy frugal I wanted to run. I've been deluding myself that this was "Operator Error" or for Air Force people "Short Circuit between the headphones" and that maybe I was reseting when I thought I was clicking shutdown.

So.... I wasn't aware that such a thing was possible but I've read about these Magical packets that if sent to my computer will take it from the off state and turn the power back on! Thinking that no one making a distro for puppy would normally leave that back door on I decided to check anyway using ethtool ala
ethtool eth0
and two of the lines
Supports Wake-on: g
Wake-on: g

Now "g"... What could g mean? Wouldn't ON or OFF or YES or NO make sense? Maybe g stands for "gack" like "The Cat gacked up a furball?"

Well if seems a simple matter to use ethtool to turn Wake-on: to Wake-on: d
What the "F" is d? Down?
For some reason doing this doesn't hold. When the machine is shut down one of the shut down scripts seems to turn this remarkably sneaky/evil feature back on. I wonder how many people have systems come on at 4 AM do "something" then shut off again and never know it because they don't boot with a CD with a number of frugals that need to be selected before one will run?

HELLO! This might be worth looking into. I'm interested in how many other folks have this going on behind their backs? I'm also curious why someone thinks having this on as the default is a good idea?
Science is what we understand well enough to explain to a computer.
Art is everything else we do.
[i]Donald Knuth [/i]

spiritwild

#2 Post by spiritwild »

I think they just followed the letters to "G" in magic packets. Since M was used for multicast. Magic packets sounds as goofy by it's self.

D is disable . I get what your saying about on / off
I wish everything was as simple as ....

ROOT: i need -h trying to figure this crap out.

I also think there should be a WTF key on the keyboard. Press it this comes up

https://youtu.be/x81iip6psks :D

8Geee

#3 Post by 8Geee »

Hmmm

You might want to check bios for such setting. The second parameter you show "should" be settable in bios. Just a thought. If Wake-on-LAN is diabled, I migght suggest D/C the eth0 on shutdowns until resolved.

BTW, I'm showing 'pg' for the 1st param and 'd' for the 2nd.

Regards
8Geee
Linux user #498913 "Some people need to reimagine their thinking."
"Zuckerberg: a large city inhabited by mentally challenged people."

bigpup

#4 Post by bigpup »

Wake On Lan feature

Here is info on setting it up:
http://www.howtodoityourself.org/how-to ... ature.html
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

peterw

Other Wake Up Reasons

#5 Post by peterw »

Just make sure that in the BIOS you have not got Real Time Clock RTC set for the PC to switch on at some time. I use this to switch on Media Centres in the evening with a cron to switch them of.

Also as stated WOL is a BIOS function and should not be alterable without a deliberate keyboard action, unless the CMOS battery needs replacing and it could conceivably cause your problem.