Tried to boot up slacko 6.3 this morning and all i got was the following:

wee 0> find --set-root /grldr
wee 15> /grldr
wee 17>

Could some one help me please.

coffy

#3 Post by coffy »

Hello spiritwild

I was given the machine by a friend of mine and it ran Puppy Slacko yesterday evening without displaying any problems. The machine is an Acer Aspire x3400. Was a waste of my time visiting the Acer UK site. Nothing there i could find.

I have never come across this problem before. I have tried running other versions of Puppy like tahrpup and slacko plus gparted and even debian and tiny core. As soon as i restart the machine it does look for an OS but then displays the following each and every time:

wee 15> /grldr
wee 17>

Have been trying to use Google to find an answer but no luck!

Big thanks for taking the timeout to reply and the two links.

Galbi

#4 Post by Galbi »

To get help, more information is needed, you are trying to boot Puppy, from where?
A pendrive? perhaps,
How was made bootable?
The PC, has a CD-ROM unit?
Remember: [b][i]"pecunia pecuniam parere non potest"[/i][/b]

Mike Walsh

#5 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi, coffy.

There's another thread running in the Forum about something very similar:-

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=111343

I was kinda expecting to find some similarities.....like you were perhaps using the same machines, or running the same Puppy. But no; different Pups, different hardware.

The only thing that occurs to me is to boot into a Puppy LiveCD ( if you've got an optical drive) of a different Pup, and use it to re-install Grub4DOS from there. If no optical drive, then you'd need to create a 'Pup-on-a-stick', and use that instead.....

(And, curiously, these are both fairly new Pups; both Woof-CE (community edition) versions...) Although Tahr 6.05 has been around for long enough now (in one form or another) that it's pretty much rock-solid. Micko, on the other hand, has been having quite a number of problems, one way or another, with the Slackware-based Puppies.....maybe more than his fair share. I wouldn't like to say; I don't know enough about that side of things to offer advice, or otherwise.

Perhaps this is a long-standing Grub4DOS 'bug' that's finally coming home to roost. Or another in the series of occasional bugs that have plagued newer versions of gParted..... Who knows?

There's always a 'workaround' for every problem. It's just a case of figuring it out for this one; it might not be 'elegant', but.....if it works?

Mike. :wink:

coffy

#6 Post by coffy »

Hi Galbi and Mike Walsh

The PC does have a CD-ROM unit. I had burnt the OS to a CD disk. But i also tried to run Slacko from a USB drive and failed?

From the links Mike Walsh provided i just don't understand how to reformat the drive or how to change the MBR.

All i see when i boot up the machine is:

wee 15> /grldr
wee 17>

Was just wondering if there was something like a Puppy rescue cd i could use
to resolve this problem?

foxpup

#7 Post by foxpup »

Hi coffy

If you can bootup a puppy from cd or usb you can reinstall grub4dos and mbr on the HDD.
First check that the flag "boot" is set on the partition you want to use. You can do that with gParted.
Then run grub4dos and let it install mbr.

coffy

#8 Post by coffy »

Hello foxpup

The machine will not boot up a puppy cd or any other linux cd. I have tried running GParted with out any success. The only thing the machine will display is when i press F12 on the keyboard during boot up. I then arrive at the select boot device options window.
The two options i am given are to select either:

Hard drive
CD&DVD

Those are the only options available. And selecting either one will almost instantly return me to the window displaying:

wee 15> /grldr
wee 17>

The machine must have been cheap as chips when new.

On the verge of chucking the useless machine through the bedroom window lol.

Galbi

#9 Post by Galbi »

@coffy, do you have access to another machine in which try to boot both the cd and the pendrive?
Just to confirm they work fine.

Edit: I've ggogled "wee bootloader" and found this article:
http://www.rmprepusb.com/tutorials/wee

I gues that someone has been playing with that bootloader, and something went wrong...

Please tell us:
you do what?
you see what?

Saludos.
Remember: [b][i]"pecunia pecuniam parere non potest"[/i][/b]

coffy

#10 Post by coffy »

Hiya Galbi
I am running tahrpup "live cd" on another pc no problem. Shall try it in the problem pc and let you know if there's any change.

coffy

#11 Post by coffy »

Just tried the tahrpup "live cd" in the problem machine with the same results.

No one has been tampering with the machine that i know of?

Would it make any difference if i removed the hard drive?

foxpup

#12 Post by foxpup »

coffy wrote:Just tried the tahrpup "live cd" in the problem machine with the same results.

Strange thing that you get the 3 lines from the CD boot also. Makes me think it is not the harddrive.
Puzzled at the moment.
The bios?

Mike Walsh

#13 Post by Mike Walsh »

foxpup wrote:
coffy wrote:Just tried the tahrpup "live cd" in the problem machine with the same results.

Strange thing that you get the 3 lines from the CD boot also. Makes me think it is not the harddrive.
Puzzled at the moment.
The bios?
I agree with foxpup. That's just plain weird.

Grub4DOS, by its very nature, can be edited. Puppy ISOs, on the other hand, tend to use isolinux to boot.....and the way an ISO is burnt to disc, it becomes 'read-only'. No way it could be tampered with...

Mike. :wink:

foxpup

#14 Post by foxpup »

I just came on this thread:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=111346

It happened before.
mikeslr gives a link to a topic from LidiaS. I should have remembered it.

But I still do not fully understand.

EDIT: I see now Mike already pointed to the topic, well, a related one.

bigpup

#15 Post by bigpup »

when i press F12 on the keyboard during boot up. I then arrive at the select boot device options window.
The two options i am given are to select either:

Hard drive
CD&DVD
That F12 boot option screen never works for me.

Go into the bios setup and make the CD the first device to boot from.

Usually you do this:
At the very beginning of booting the computer.
Hold the F2 key down.
This should cause the bios setup screen to show.
Release F2.
Now in bios setup.
Look for something that allows selecting boot device order or first device to boot from.
Select the CD drive.
Exit bios setup making sure to Save changes.

With the Puppy CD in the CD drive.
Boot computer.
It should boot directly to the CD looking for operating system to boot.

You can go back later and change the bios setup, to first boot from whatever you want it to be.

Note:
If the bios setup does not offer USB as a boot device option.
This computer can not boot from USB.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

mikeslr

#16 Post by mikeslr »

Hi,

On the other thread, jafadmin suggested:

"Try slapping another copy of the mbr onto it:
Code:
cat /usr/lib/syslinux/mbr.bin > /dev/sdX (the problem disk)

Works for me; YMMV." http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 905#964905

I'd like to know under what Puppy he ran that command. While on XenialPup64, I looked for the file /usr/lib/syslinux/mbr.bin and --figuring a typing error-- looked for /usr/bin/syslinux/mbr.bin. Couldn't find it.

My technical knowledge is minimal, abysmal --take your choice. I visualize systems and, look for bottlenecks and then ways to avoid them.

As far as I know, the problem or problems arise when the drive has been formatted as Linux Ext4 using an OS with a recent kernel and then Grub4dos is used as bootloader. Also, I have the impression, there hasn't been active development of Grub4dos for some time. See Post Script. If this is correct, it would appear that the Grub4dos just can't handle whatever has recently been done to change Linux Ext4 formatting.

I'd hate to loose Grub4dos. But Puppies worked without it before, and can work under the annoying Grub2. Perhaps, if formatting as Linux Ext4 is to be retained, new Puppies will have to be built to employ Grub2, and a Grub2 pet will have to be created for installation into older Puppies.

I'd rather loose Linux Ext4. I'm not really sure what advantage it offers over Linux Ext3.

So I suggest that someone who has the problem try reformatting the drive as Linux Ext3.

But jafadmin suggestion should also work if your Puppy contains the syslinux module AND that module was created to work with the "new" Linux Ext4.

As I'm posting from XenialPup64, I just did a pfind for mbr.bin. [Should have thought of that the first time. :oops:] On this system it found at:

/usr/share/syslinux/

Adapting jafadmin's code, on this system it would be:

cat /usr/share/syslinux/mbr.bin > /dev/sdX

So, that's something else to try; that is pfind where mbr.bin is located and modify the code accordingly.

Suggestion to Puppy Creators and someone working on grub4dos (shinobar?). Modify grub4dos to utilize the current mbr.bin wherever it may be located; and create a pet to "patch" old versions.

mikesLr

P.S. Just looked at Grub4dos thread on Additional Software Forum. Last version appears to be in 2014. Also "googled' grub4dos. The last update was in 2013. https://sourceforge.net/projects/grub4dos/. The links from here, http://grub4dos.sourceforge.net/ are either dead or time out.

bigpup

#17 Post by bigpup »

Look here for answer to problem.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=111376
Basic problem is caused by trying to use Grub4DOS with newer systems with 64-bit Ext4 partitions.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

coffy

#18 Post by coffy »

Have finally worked out how to access the bios by pressing "del" during boot up.

Have made sure that the dc/dvd drive is the 1st boot device.
Then i pressed F10

And still the dreaded message

wee 15> /grldr
wee 17>

coffy

#19 Post by coffy »

Very big thanks to everyone who replied with advice and links but the desktop has finally hit the bin with all other rubbish.

foxpup

#20 Post by foxpup »

Too bad you threw it away. There is probably nothing wrong with it.

If you still care to try:
If you installed a more recent linux (probably one of the big distros, ubuntu?) on your HDD just before you installed puppy, that could be the culprit ... and possibly your savier. If you still have it on a stick, you should be able to boot from it and then just reformat your hdd (64bit ext4: not good) to ext3. Don't install it after that, but install a puppy instead.

Or just follow the lead from jd7654 (link from bigpup).

Well, I like all computers, and certainly the old ones. That's probably something that grew on me becoming a pupper. ,-)