Slacko5.7-2018

News, happenings
8Geee

Slacko5.7-2018

#1 Post by 8Geee »

Though I don't have a dfinate release-daate yet, I have started to get these 4 Spins ready.

All four will have openssl 1.0.2k as testing upon the EONS version was OK with printing(presently the Slacko5.7, and 5.7-eee versions are using 1.0.1u because printing works)

Only the mini-eee will retain bash 4.2.56, all others will retain 4.1.0(2) default to allow printing.

My experiments and rather dodgy experiences with FF45.8 have led me back to FF27.1... basicaly its the add-ons.

YouTube has dropped support for IE, and this led to updating ALL HTML5. I still can't get pause on load to function, but will keep trying.

As always, this will have all updates/patches provided by UncleSlacky. I have not dabbled with CUPS due to the above issues.

Regards
8Geee
Linux user #498913 "Some people need to reimagine their thinking."
"Zuckerberg: a large city inhabited by mentally challenged people."

8Geee

#2 Post by 8Geee »

There will be a bit of a delay, as I was working on this, Uncle Slacky posted a bugfix (minor) for bash... including the 4.1 series found in Slacko5.7. So I have dropped the initial update, and will see if the new bash version allows printing. (re: the 4.2.53 version suggested by Uncle Slacky broke printing, even though 4..2.x is installed in Slackware 14.0. It seems that 4.1 x is installed in Puppy Slacko5.7 in spite of being a slackware14.0 base.)

If all goes well, printing will be avaiable in the spins, and I can remove the eee version of the base Slacko5.7. Just the base 5.7, and the mini-eee will remain with option of the en_US version of FreeOffice6..97 as separate D/L. This could simplify things much.

Regards
8Geee

Sylvander

#3 Post by Sylvander »

It appears the printing no longer works in my Slacko-5.7.0-pae [it originally did work].

Is there an easy fix for this?

8Geee

#4 Post by 8Geee »

What version of bash is installed? My problems started with migration of bash.
Also look for these in usr/lib libpng 12, libpng 14, libpng 3 if gutenprint is installed, IIRC the base is 5.2.9 in the NP version

If you have recently installed the Slackware recommended bash 4.2.x you will have to deprocate to micko's original 4.1.x version (Originally intended for 13.37).

There should not normally be a problem using a 4.1.x version in Slacko5.7. There is a chance that the 64 bit version did not load properly, or that the 32 bit version is installed.

Regards
8Geee

Sylvander

#5 Post by Sylvander »

@8Geee
1. "What version of bash is installed?"
bash4-4.1_spup

2. "look for these in usr/lib libpng 12, libpng 14, libpng 3"
libpng12.so
libpng12.so.0
libpng12.so.0.44.0
libpng14.so
libpng14.so.14
libpng14.so.14.5.0

3. "...or that the 32 bit version is installed"
Since my Slacko-5.7 is a 32-bit PAE version, my bash version should surely be a 32-bit bersion.

8Geee

#6 Post by 8Geee »

as for bash...

There is a recent update to bash at slackware.com --> security advisory --> 2017.

The version 4.1.17 is avaiable in either 64-bit or 32-bit. But note where this is located... with the slackware 13.37 version. The default is 4.2.x for 14.0. But that IS NOT installed in slacko5.7.

In the last 15 minutes I finished testing my manual D/L, and all printing works. CUPS is 1.4.8 here Gutenprint is 5.2.9 and foo xqx and zjs installed.

So far what I see of your libpng files looks ok. My setup also includes libpng.so.3.44.0 and 3.57.0. I'm not sure if these are non-pae only. One last sanity check is libjpeg7.0.0 needs to be there, even if with 8.0.1.

I did a manual D/L to top level / and used xarchive to install.
A snag occurred in the main Slacko5.7 update (2018 presently) that I offer, that did not exist in the personal/netbook edition.

BEFORE INSTALL: One has to go into /bin and check bash... copy your old version elsewhere.

AFTER INSTALL: check again,and delete the old version, then rename the new version as "bash" or as labled previously. In case there's only "bash", check properties for the date, and check in terminal the --version. I'm not familiar with lables in the PAE version, but your system might need to have the label match the old version. (Mine is just bash, but the new version was bash4.new, so after tossing the old, I relabled the "new")

After that D/C from internet and shutdown. Crossing fingers/knock on wood restart will take and bash --version in terminal will show 4.1.17.

Maybe after all this stuff, printing might return. It has here in non-pae land.

Regards
8Geee

Sylvander

#7 Post by Sylvander »

@8Geee

1. "...libjpeg7.0.0 needs to be there, even if with 8.0.1..."
I have:
libjpeg.so.7.0.0
libjpeg.so.8.0.1

. "...My setup also includes libpng.so.3.44.0 and 3.57.0..."
I have:
libpng.so.3.44.0

Most of what you said above [post prior to this] is beyond my comprehension.

8Geee

#8 Post by 8Geee »

Sorry Sylvander, I was more or less listing things off the top of my head that I needed to successfully restore printing.

I have foomatic installed, and downloaded the zjs package for recent hp-type printers.

Those other so files are in fact needed. I found that out the hard way.

Gutenprint is also needed AFAIK.

I am presuming with the printer connected, that typing localhost:631 into the browser's address bar does showCUPS and version number, along with a menu. In the 2nd column is

adding printers and classes.

Clicking on that should show your printer. Then selecting ADD should indicate iif you want to connect that printer. After that IIRC is a long list of available printers... in some cases your printer will be at the top of that list with (recommended) following the name. Sometimes its not, and needs to be found and selected. It maybe that the CUPS file "lost" the selection after a reboot. Clicking upon the printer (be careful here as most hp-type printers need the version using foomatic/gutenprint) should get the connection re-established.

As for actual printing, once selected, and your default settings are made, CUPS is closed. One should be able to print a text or pdf file. Where BASH comes into effect is at this point. The "wrong" version may not like the cgi-bin nature, and think it insecure, resulting in a no-print condition. This is related to fixing BASH due to Shellshock exploit.
As far as I can figure it, this is what happened in my case... BASH needed to match the correct version base (4.1), and not use a different one ( say 4.2, or 4.3).

What your reply indicated is a non-standard version of BASH (perhaps modified by a fellow PuppyLinux enthusiast), and I am wondering if this change caused the problem. So I was asking what printer-related files are installed including things like foomatic (foo) and gutenprint. All of this is in slacko5.7-nonPAE. The PAE version should be similar but not exact.

AFAIK both PAE/nonPAE slacko 5.7 use BASH 4.1 as a default.

Regards
8Geee

Sylvander

#9 Post by Sylvander »

@8Geee

. "...with the printer connected, that typing localhost:631 into the browser's address bar does showCUPS and version number, along with a menu."
It does indeed.
CUPS 1.4.8

1. "...In the 2nd column is adding printers and classes. "
Yes, under "CUPS for Administrators", at the top of the list, is "Adding Printers and Classes".

2. "...Clicking on that should show your printer."
When I click "Manage Printers", it lists my "HP Deskjet 840c" as "idle", and when I click on that "Queue Name" it displays config settings that includes "Driver: HP DeskJet 840C - CUPS+Gutenprint v5.2.9 (color, 2-sided printing)", as "(Idle, Accepting Jobs, Not Shared)"
If I click "Show completed jobs" it displays 1 job with "State" = "completed at Wed 04 Jun 2014 22:12:01 XXX " [the last time I printed?]

3. So all is looking OK, BUT?
How to easily test printing?
In times past, printing was easy to set up, and worked without trouble, but then it just stopped working.

4. Tried to print a document:
"Manage Printers" now shows under "Status" = "Processing - "Waiting for printer to become available.", and no printing begins.
Normally, printing would begin immediately.
I suspect the USB connection is poor/failing.
Times past, I would switch the USB plug from the rear to a side socket, and printing would begin, but no longer does this do the trick.
I've cancelled the job.
Tried a repeat of that job, got the same result, and cancelled again.

8Geee

#10 Post by 8Geee »

Sylvander

I also have 1.4.8 version of CUPS, and I did see your printer on the list. It is showing CUPS and gutenprint.

In your STEP 2: You need to "ADD" printer first, then manage it. I have found this solves many small problems. Basically you are going to reload the make/model driver again. I had to do that just now, as my printer was not highlighted on the list... a different model was listed.

Please don't bother with printing until your driver gets found and reloaded by ADDING it, and selecting it from a drop-down list of many printers. Also, When the last window says the settings are made, close CUPS, and print a file (txt or pdf) thats handy.

Your thoughts may be correct, that the USB cable has gone bad, but that is not distinguished from BASH not accepting the actual printing commands. I too thought the cable went bad and jiggled it around a bit. In my case, I discovered that the BASH update provided by Slackware (version 4.2) was not the original Puppy Slacko5.7 version (4.1) after a lot of searching and experimenting. When I installed the very recent 4.1.17 version, I got printing back. My only other choice was to go back and use the original version of BASH suppllied by 01Micko.

So, it seems that updating BASH is not as easy as a drop-in replacement. It has to match the version of the original working BASH.

Regards
8Geee

8Geee

#11 Post by 8Geee »

In Other News

I have decided to go with only two spins of the updated Slacko5.7
A.) Slacko5.7-2018, (iso 180Mb) the original version with security updates and a migration to OpenSSL 1.0.2k. It looks just like 01Micko's original, and has all the video drivers and servers available..

B.) EONS-2018, the netbook (2008-2010) version (150Mb) with FO-697enUS. Those that don't need the Office can remove it in just a few clicks in /opt and in root. This does not have servers and shares, with non-intel video drivers removed, and is meant to be a casual surfing edition with enough security to hazard an on-line purchase or login securely using an encrypted wireless connection. (When using ethernet behind firewall, its just as good s a home computer.)

Regards
8Geee

belham2

#12 Post by belham2 »

8Geee wrote:In Other News

I have decided to go with only two spins of the updated Slacko5.7
A.) Slacko5.7-2018, (iso 180Mb) the original version with security updates and a migration to OpenSSL 1.0.2k. It looks just like 01Micko's original, and has all the video drivers and servers available..

B.) EONS-2018, the netbook (2008-2010) version (150Mb) with FO-697enUS. Those that don't need the Office can remove it in just a few clicks in /opt and in root. This does not have servers and shares, with non-intel video drivers removed, and is meant to be a casual surfing edition with enough security to hazard an on-line purchase or login securely using an encrypted wireless connection. (When using ethernet behind firewall, its just as good s a home computer.)

Regards
8Geee

Hi 8Geee: just wanted to say 'thank you' for the releases. Have an old hp netbook, only via its ethernet port, and your spin runs great on it. Very, very select few puppies can make it feel snappy, but your's does. Thanks again :wink:

Sylvander

#13 Post by Sylvander »

@8Geee

. "In your STEP 2: You need to "ADD" printer first..."
Now done, no problems, looks good.
I did 2 attempted print jobs; these show here as having been completed at this time but with tomorrows date! :?
The PC is showing the date and time correctly.
The printer didn't print.

. "...then manage it..."
Now done.
The final print job completed after "ADD" printer shows "STATUS = idle - rendering complete".

8Geee

Both spins are ready

#14 Post by 8Geee »

Slacko5.7-2018 is now ready please go here for info and D/L.

The EONS-2018 verssion is also ready, please go here for info and D/L. Note that the Office user's manual is a separate D/L with its own sha1sum.

Regards
8Geee

Robert123

#15 Post by Robert123 »

Thanks 8Geee for the release.

Machine: Dell Inspiron 6400

Booted straight to desktop.
Video and sound working well. Connected to WPA2 connection using SNS.

Very nice release.
Devuan Linux, Stardust 013 (4.31) updated [url]https://archive.org/details/Stardustpup013glibc2.10[/url]
s57(2018)barebone[url]https://sourceforge.net/projects/puppy-linux-minimal-builds/files/s57%282018%29barebones.iso/download[/url]