Internet blackmail scam

For discussions about security.
stemsee

Internet blackmail scam

#1 Post by stemsee »

Does anyone recognise this ip address? These people tried to set me up and blackmail me. Anyone had similar? modima.lopza@gmail.com
Attachments
xscreenshot-20170821T164118.png
(38.99 KiB) Downloaded 407 times
xscreenshot-20170821T060852.png
(98.97 KiB) Downloaded 204 times
xscreenshot-20170821T061600.png
(44.47 KiB) Downloaded 214 times
xscreenshot-20170821T072443.png
(154.65 KiB) Downloaded 375 times

musher0

#2 Post by musher0 »

HI Stemsee.

No I don't recognize that address, sorry.

On the other hand, in the 98 Kb picture, the person says "I will be
very Franche". I don't know if it's any indication, if (s)he wrote
that on purpose, but "Franche" is the feminine form of the French
adjective "franc", which means "frank".

Who knows, this person may be a French-speaking woman from
Brooklyn... Of course there are probably 10,000 women in Brooklyn who
have French as a first or second language...

Have you contacted the police? Some policemen are specialized in
cyber-crime nowadays. I mention it because you're certainly NOT the
only one with the problem. Your info might provide them with the link
they need to put this person behind bars.

Best of luck untangling this.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

Burn_IT

#3 Post by Burn_IT »

I have received similar emails from a similar location.
I think there may be a college or such there that is teaching computing (badly) and there students are "practicing"
I suspect as long as you don't try to do too much with the mails (I.E. prescan them rather than open them - as you should be doing with all emails anyway) they will not cause any damage.
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett

8Geee

#4 Post by 8Geee »

I recognize this through a different occurance. Recently my spam folder was loaded with a signup process of 6-7 emails that sourced to this exact addy. One of the functions was to set me up with a "FOREX" (currency account trading including cyber coins). TOSSED.

This is appaarently a bot-net scam complex in nature. If I knew better, that this bullying/ransom would occur, i'd have sent these to authorities. Just thought it was the routine scamware stuff.

Regards
8Geee
Linux user #498913 "Some people need to reimagine their thinking."
"Zuckerberg: a large city inhabited by mentally challenged people."

rufwoof

#5 Post by rufwoof »

How sure are you that the senders email address isn't just being spoofed? For a while I had one of my email addresses being spoofed to send out spam and its really annoying to get loads of the failed delivery returns as well as likely having the email address added to barred lists and a few angry replies saying to get-lost in not so polite terms. The annoying part is there's nothing AFAIK you can do to prevent that. Clearly in such cases the spammer doesn't desire any email replies and typically will just be sending out click-bait.
[size=75]( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) :wq[/size]
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=1028256#1028256][size=75]Fatdog multi-session usb[/url][/size]
[size=75][url=https://hashbang.sh]echo url|sed -e 's/^/(c/' -e 's/$/ hashbang.sh)/'|sh[/url][/size]

stemsee

#6 Post by stemsee »

The police said they uk law meant they could not investigate. It had to be investigated in the country where it originated. Musher0's observation is an excellent slip on their behalf because after a while the blackmailer pretended to be an african man on the ivory coast. This slip proves it was a woman.

This occurred on google hangouts. Is there an easy way to find the ip address of hangouts video call or chat?

I tried to write a script to submit all ip addressess connected to my laptop to submit them one by one to whatsmyip website to get locations. Didn't succeed yet.

Thanks for comments

Burn_IT

#7 Post by Burn_IT »

It doesn't matter if the email and return address are being spoofed.
If you look at the raw delivery information you can trace the email's journey across the internet - right back to it's source.
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett

stemsee

#8 Post by stemsee »

This occurred on google hangouts with email address madimalopza@gmail.com still active! I assume that with a video call it must use p2p, video should send directly to real ip right? Using ardware info ip connections pane I can easily see tens of new connections appear when in conversation with this pirate. Please join in, I am offering them some big business ventures.