Power off os Suspend to ram??

Using applications, configuring, problems
pp4mnklinux

Power off os Suspend to ram??

#1 Post by pp4mnklinux »

Hello everybody:

I always turned off my PC, but with the instalation of a pet (Pup shutdown manager) an extra option appeared.- SUSPEND TO RAM?

I like this option a lot, but what is better for your computer?

It spends battery?
It spends money? (it really doesn't matter)
It is better or worse for your computer?

THANKS A LOT.

(I found about it a lot of answers on the internet, but NO ONE satisfy me ;)
Distro: xenialpup64 7.5 XXL
Desktop Panel: JWM ~ FbBox 5.0

nic007

#2 Post by nic007 »

Power off you obviously don't consume power, with suspend you draw very little power. Suspend to RAM of course has the big benefit that you can resume very quickly. Neither procedure is harmful to hardware unless you power off and on excessively through the day (it may be harmful in this scenario although not for certain). Personally I would only power off if I'm not going to use the machine for a long time. My laptop is on suspend setting permanently but somehow it does not wake after a certain cycle of "awakes" from suspend (about 10 cycles) so I have to reboot about once a day anyway.

pp4mnklinux

thanks a lot....

#3 Post by pp4mnklinux »

Hi:

That was what I think. THANKS A LOT for your fast answer (but the power comsumption is from the battery or from the line.... Should I change battery frequently0'==??

Have a nice sunday, my friend !
Distro: xenialpup64 7.5 XXL
Desktop Panel: JWM ~ FbBox 5.0

nic007

#4 Post by nic007 »

I don't carry my laptop around so it is basically permanently plugged into the power line (I may put it on battery about once a month so that it just recycles). Doesn't really affect the battery but my laptop is old and I don't worry about the state of the battery anyway. I should actually in my case take out the battery but I'm not bothered (still a safeguard for a power cut, I suppose).

Burn_IT

#5 Post by Burn_IT »

Best would be suspend to RAM with the option to suspend to disk when the battery gets to about 10%.
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett