Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 19 Oct 2017, 12:59
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Create Debian 9 (Stretch) minimal ISO similar to DebianDog
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 16 of 48 [711 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, ..., 46, 47, 48 Next
jd7654

PostPosted: Sat 12 Aug 2017, 16:34    Post subject:  

fredx181 wrote:
Quote:
Lastly, I upvote the request for keeping and using local cache for downloads, instead of downloading each time script is run. Since this is not a rolling release, not a lot is changing, and checking latest version may not be needed. Saves on time and bandwidth usage.

That I don't understand, local cache, what you mean to keep exactly?

Not a high priority. But lets say I made a build, but oops, forgot firmware or change browser and want to run again. Have to delete and download everything all over again instead of just downloading changes.

Code:
 Working directory 'stretch' already exists
 To be able to continue, it needs to be removed first
 All files inside will be deleted
Are you sure to delete directory stretch ? (Enter=yes) (Y/n)?

Not sure if this is really your script's responsibility or would require debootstrap changes.
zagreb999

PostPosted: Sat 12 Aug 2017, 16:44    Post subject: kernel 4.9 bugs  

kernel 4.9 bugs

https://lists.debian.org/debian-kernel/2017/06/msg00393.html

https://lists.debian.org/debian-kernel/2017/07/msg00392.html

https://lists.debian.org/debian-kernel/2017/06/msg00344.html

https://lists.debian.org/debian-kernel/2017/06/msg00349.html
dancytron

PostPosted: Sat 12 Aug 2017, 17:15    Post subject:  

Another minor bug for you.

When run the upgrade kernel script I get an error that /var/lib/synaptic/preferences is missing. See screenshots. There is also an error that apt-utils is missing. After installing apt-utils and copying /var/lib/synaptic/preferences from another install it runs correctly and reports that I have the latest kernel. It even works correctly if I make /var/lib/synaptic/preferences completely blank.

So, maybe the fix would appear to be to add apt-utils to the core apps and add a blank /var/lib/synaptic/preferences to the files automatically copied over. It is hard to know with no new kernel to upgrade if the missing file error is really just a warning and it would work or not. Maybe we need to wait and see.
upgradekernelerror2.jpg
Description 
jpg

Download 
Filename  upgradekernelerror2.jpg 
Filesize  121.21 KB 
Downloaded  19 Time(s) 
upgradekernelerror1.jpg
Description 
jpg

Download 
Filename  upgradekernelerror1.jpg 
Filesize  126.06 KB 
Downloaded  12 Time(s) 
fredx181

PostPosted: Sat 12 Aug 2017, 17:18    Post subject:  

@dancytron

As I thought already your save2flash (as you attached) is different (older) than supposed to be in the build.
Very mysterious !
The files from extracted dog-boot-stretch.tar.gz from github should copy to the build filesystem
https://github.com/DebianDog/MakeLive/raw/gh-pages/dog-boot-stretch.tar.gz
(save2flash and snapmergepuppy in usr/bin)
Is older save2flash in your changes folder maybe ? (or some conflicting situation, no idea Question )

@jd7654

Quote:
Working directory 'stretch' already exists
To be able to continue, it needs to be removed first
All files inside will be deleted
Are you sure to delete directory stretch ? (Enter=yes) (Y/n)?

Yes, everything done by the script is in folder stretch, not removing it and start with a different setup will mess up things badly, I'm afraid.

dancytron wrote:
Another minor bug for you.

When run the upgrade kernel script I get an error that /var/lib/synaptic/preferences is missing. See screenshots. There is also an error that apt-utils is missing. After installing apt-utils and copying /var/lib/synaptic/preferences from another install it runs correctly and reports that I have the latest kernel. It even works correctly if I make /var/lib/synaptic/preferences completely blank.

So, maybe the fix would appear to be to add apt-utils to the core apps and add a blank /var/lib/synaptic/preferences to the files automatically copied over. It is hard to know with no new kernel to upgrade if the missing file error is really just a warning and it would work or not. Maybe we need to wait and see.

Thanks, yes, apps like upgrade-kernel I didn't think of yet, lots to be done to make all 'dog' apps work properly.

Fred
dancytron

PostPosted: Sat 12 Aug 2017, 17:33    Post subject:  

fredx181 wrote:
@dancytron

As I thought already your save2flash (as you attached) is different (older) than supposed to be in the build.
Very mysterious !
The files from extracted dog-boot-stretch.tar.gz from github should copy to the build filesystem
https://github.com/DebianDog/MakeLive/raw/gh-pages/dog-boot-stretch.tar.gz
(save2flash and snapmergepuppy in usr/bin)
Is older save2flash in your changes folder maybe ? (or some conflicting situation, no idea Question )

Nothing in changes that I could see. It seems that the stretch64 openbox which I am using also has the old one.

Downloading the gh-pages file and copying over new files fixed it.

I will try another build later to see if I can run it down. It is mysterious.

edit: to add to the mystery (and confirm I didn't just accidentally paste the wrong file in before I remastered it), I looked inside the ISO file originally created by the mklive script. It is the old one in there too, but /mnt/live/mnt/sda2/stretch/dog-boot-stretch/usr/bin has the correct up to date one.

Don't worry about it until I do another build and see if it happens again.
save2flashdate2.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   59.69 KB
 Viewed   422 Time(s)

save2flashdate2.jpg

save2flashdate.jpg
Description 
jpg

Download 
Filename  save2flashdate.jpg 
Filesize  84.04 KB 
Downloaded  10 Time(s) 
jd7654

PostPosted: Sat 12 Aug 2017, 18:47    Post subject:  

fredx181 wrote:
Yes, I think also the GUI most people will prefer and is easier to preload things (with e.g. checkboxes)

Yes, the gui is probably all that is needed, if it does no less than cli, and those that prefer can still edit script defaults directly.

Only thing missing: Occasionally, the gui crashes and I don't know which changes caused that. Since it spawns its own terminal, when it crashes the errors are lost.

If the gui script is executed from a terminal, then have it return to that terminal for execution rather than spawning another?(like removing runin_xterm) That way errors or failure point can be seen.
fredx181

PostPosted: Sun 13 Aug 2017, 05:20    Post subject:  

jd7654 wrote:
Only thing missing: Occasionally, the gui crashes and I don't know which changes caused that. Since it spawns its own terminal, when it crashes the errors are lost.

If the gui script is executed from a terminal, then have it return to that terminal for execution rather than spawning another?(like removing runin_xterm) That way errors or failure point can be seen.

Yes, that's good advice, I'll change that to being normal (just to run from terminal, no spawning xterm)
Thanks!

Fred
peebee

PostPosted: Sun 13 Aug 2017, 06:22    Post subject:  

Your post above should fix this but I'll report anyway to reinforce....

On LxPupSc using gui get:
Code:
urxvt: "fa": unknown or malformed option.
urxvt: "xft:Monospace:size=13": malformed option.

Cannot make a log file with separate xterm....I would have asked you to add to line 448:
-c 'runin_xterm 2>&1 | tee mklive-stretch.log'

a log is a good idea??

Build went ok....

backi

PostPosted: Sun 13 Aug 2017, 08:24    Post subject:  

Hi everybody !
When accessing my ntfs partitions with frugal installations from mklive-stretch-gui they are just readable in contrast to the official Dogs .
How to make them writable too ?
backi

PostPosted: Sun 13 Aug 2017, 09:18    Post subject:  

Hi everybody !

Problem SOLVED .

Installed Ntfs-3g
rcrsn51

PostPosted: Sun 13 Aug 2017, 09:27    Post subject:  

backi wrote:
Installed Ntfs-3g

How does this work in pcmanfm? Does it automatically use ntfs-3g when it mounts an ntfs partition?

In Puppy, there is a wrapper script around the mount command for this purpose.
backi

PostPosted: Sun 13 Aug 2017, 09:40    Post subject:  

Mounting a NTFS Partition was not the problem......writing and saving changes .....was .
Filemanager is Caja PcmanFm and Thunar ....now working with all of them(writing and saving changes ) after installing Ntfs-3g with Synaptic .

Last edited by backi on Sun 13 Aug 2017, 09:55; edited 1 time in total
belham2

PostPosted: Sun 13 Aug 2017, 09:54    Post subject:  

Hi all,

Did another build this morning. Here's the pics. ISO came in at 203mb, and that is with Firefox-52.3, jwm, roxfiler and losts more (look at build pic). Works great, and is quick. Only thing I am struggling with is how do I get my partitions & volumes mounted on the desktop background where I can see them out in the open instead of always going through rox-filer, opening it, clicking up through to /mnt, then into the sd# directory just to see everything? Pup-volume-monitor (as you see from the pic of the build) is installed, doesn't PVM take care of this, or am I forgetting something simple/stupid??
Thanks. (P.S. Memory RAM usage sits at 77-79mb at idle...the lowest I've seen of any build yet Shocked )
jwm-roxfiler-with-FF52.3-build.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   59.61 KB
 Viewed   225 Time(s)

jwm-roxfiler-with-FF52.3-build.jpg

jwm-rox-filer-with-FF52.3-build.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   39.52 KB
 Viewed   226 Time(s)

jwm-rox-filer-with-FF52.3-build.jpg

jd7654

PostPosted: Sun 13 Aug 2017, 13:25    Post subject:  

belham2 wrote:
(P.S. Memory RAM usage sits at 77-79mb at idle...the lowest I've seen of any build yet Shocked [/i])

Hard to beat JWM for full featured yet low mem usage: (ref)

rufwoof

PostPosted: Sun 13 Aug 2017, 13:27    Post subject:  

belham2 wrote:
(P.S. Memory RAM usage sits at 77-79mb at idle...the lowest I've seen of any build yet Shocked )

Shocking! Why so bad? Has it not pre-empted cached at all?

Smile Teasing of course. But more optimal usage would to perhaps be at 80% memory utilisation levels. Cache can be freed quick and easily (made available quickly if the need arises). Under-utilisation whilst often proclaimed as being good isn't necessarily so. Nice that the setup/system uses relatively little, perhaps all being loaded into less than 80MB of space, but if you're running a 2GB ram system that's like having bought 25 cars but only ever using 1.

Even at 4 times the size, not having stripped things down to bare minimum to get it as light as possible, 6 cars but only driving 1 is still wasteful of resources.
Page 16 of 48 [711 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, ..., 46, 47, 48 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: