Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sun 20 Aug 2017, 02:11
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Becoming spot/normal user in Chromium
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts]  
Walt52

PostPosted: Tue 01 Aug 2017, 17:19    Post subject:  Becoming spot/normal user in Chromium
Subject description: using spot to become a normal user to use chromium

I'm using SeaMonkey (and maybe that's the problem), but when I try to switch to chromium to use some sites, I'm told I have to sign in as a normal user. I try to log in as spot, and whoami says I AM spot, but Chromium doesn't see me as a normal user. What am I missing?

Oops: I've got "Chromium Browser 37.0.2062.120" that I think I got from PPM and I'm running Precise 5.7.1.

Last edited by Walt52 on Tue 01 Aug 2017, 21:53; edited 1 time in total
dancytron

PostPosted: Tue 01 Aug 2017, 18:13    Post subject:  

For people to help you, they will need to know:

What version of Puppy are you using?

Where are you getting Chromium from?
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Sat 05 Aug 2017, 08:06    Post subject:  

Hi, Walt.

Mm. Well, for starters, I wouldn't use the versions of any browsers that I got from the PPM. For one thing, they aren't set up right for Puppy's 'root' model', and for another thing, they're usually very out-of-date. Although, in this instance, you won't get a newer version of Chromium to run in Precise.

The version I use in 571 myself is peebee's 36.0.1985.143. Any newer versions of Chromium will complain that the glibc is too old.....and this is the crux of the problem.

You can run a newer version of Chrome in 571. You can run newer versions of both SlimJet & Iron (these are based on Chromium, as is Chrome itself).

Chromium itself is always compiled using the very newest version of the glibc. Which means that 'vanilla' Chromium will only run on the very newest distros. Chrome, SlimJet & Iron, however, are all re-compiled against much older versions of the glibc, so as to ensure a far broader user-base.

You have two (or three) options, as I see it. Uninstall the version of Chromium you're using, via the PPM, then:-

1) Use peebee's 36.0.1985.143 SFS package from here:-

http://www.datafilehost.com/d/be302c85

I'm letting you have a copy of my own download here, since peebee's original is no longer available.

2) Use the last 14-series version of SlimJet from OscarTalks (14.0.16.0); this will run in 571.....the 15-series will not.

https://yadi.sk/d/fd8rBM0WoF9sB?force_show=1

3) Use Oscar's 32-bit Iron version 58. Again, this will run in 571; 59 refuses to do so.

https://yadi.sk/d/_S5b4g7tpcyZn?force_show=1

It's up to you, of course.....but those are your options. And these are all set up to work properly with Puppy.

Mike. Wink

Walt52

PostPosted: Sat 12 Aug 2017, 16:30    Post subject:  

OK, I downloaded peebee's 36.0.1985. . .how do I open it?

Also, I deleted the Chromium I got from PPM. . .was there no way to open that by "becoming" spot, or was I doing spot wrong? Still unclean on the concept. . .
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Sat 12 Aug 2017, 17:12    Post subject:  

Hi, Walt.

Well, for one thing, it's an SFS. So no need to open. It'll load using Shinobar's SFS 'on-the-fly' loader, which has been a standard part of most Pups for the last few years. Precise has it.

Copy 36.0.1985.143 to /mnt/home; this is the recommended location for SFS packages. SFSs are mainly used for large packages, so as not to use up 'Puppy-space' in your save-file. They can be loaded/unloaded as & when required.

Having moved it to /mnt/home, all you need to do is left-click on it. You'll get the 'loader' GUI come up, with three options; 'View files', 'Cancel', and 'Install SFS'. Click on 'Install SFS', and just follow the instructions.

Let us know how you get on with it, please. Oh, one more thing, while I think about it. How do you have Precise installed? HDD or USB stick? Full, or 'frugal'?

Mike. Wink

Last edited by Mike Walsh on Sun 13 Aug 2017, 19:33; edited 1 time in total
Walt52

PostPosted: Sun 13 Aug 2017, 00:02    Post subject:  

I copied it to mnt/home, installed sfs, and it now shows up on my menu/internet list. I click on that and nothing happens. I chose NOT to make it my default setting. Does that make a difference? Also I think the original precise is on the cd and the sfs is on the hard drive. Is there a way you can tell where it's frugal or regular if the original data in my head (sdh1) has been overwritten? Wink
peebee

PostPosted: Sun 13 Aug 2017, 02:53    Post subject:  

chromium_37.0.2062.120+pepper_15.0.0.152_lx.sfs is still available....
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Sun 13 Aug 2017, 09:51    Post subject:  

peebee wrote:
chromium_37.0.2062.120+pepper_15.0.0.152_lx.sfs is still available....

Mm. Yes, I know it is, Pete; but it's the glibc issue again, isn't it? I found out quite a while ago, via experimentation, and loading/re-loading several of your packages, that 36.0.1985.143 was the very last version of Chromium that would run in Precise 5.7.1. Any later than that, it turns its nose up and complains that the glibc is too old; from 37 onwards, it was wanting minimum 2.17; 571 is 2.15. Same with Slacko 570....

And it's the exact same reason why Chrome 26 is the last version that'll run in Lucid. Lucid is 2.11; after 26, Chrome wanted minimum 2.13.

------------------------------------------------------

@Walt:-

You will find that if you choose NOT to make Chromium the default, the installation just quits for some reason! I find it's easier to accept the 'default', then after installation, use the 'Default Installations Chooser' to set your default browser back to the one you prefer. Just one of those little 'quirks', I'm afraid.....experimentation again, mate!

Walt52 wrote:
Also I think the original precise is on the cd and the sfs is on the hard drive. Is there a way you can tell where it's frugal or regular if the original data in my head (sdh1) has been overwritten?

Are you running Precise from LiveCD.....with your save-file on the hard drive? That'll also make a difference, y'know....as to what Pup 'sees', and what it expects to find, as against what it actually does find.

Mike. Wink

Walt52

PostPosted: Tue 15 Aug 2017, 09:14    Post subject:  

WP:
Still no joy. Tried pepper on another machine (with Tahrpup64 6.0.5, sfs on a SD chip) and same result. . .it showed up among the internet options, but click on it and nothing happens. Then I tried your options 2 and 3, but while the site said they were 70 or 80 MB, they were still downloading at 200MB, so I gave up. Both these machines run puppy on a CD. . .could that be a problem?
Also, may I infer from your lack of comment about spot that to become spot is irrelevant?
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Tue 15 Aug 2017, 10:37    Post subject:  

Walt52 wrote:
Both these machines run puppy on a CD. . .could that be a problem?
Also, may I infer from your lack of comment about spot that to become spot is irrelevant?

Hi, Walt.

No, I wouldn't say that becoming spot is 'irrelevant'. It does, however, introduce another layer of complication, because everything remains in the 'spot' folder (even your downloads). So you then have to remember where your browser downloaded stuff to..... Laughing

Re; running Pup from (multi-session?) CD. It's not an area I've really got any experience of, as I've never run a Puppy this way. There may be other factors involved here that I'm simply not aware of...

Sorry about that. You could try asking in the Multi-session Live-CD/DVD sub-forum. Maybe some of the regulars there might be more knowledgeable about dealing with that side of things.

Mike. Wink

rufwoof

PostPosted: Tue 15 Aug 2017, 12:08    Post subject:  

I believe that Spot isn't intended as a userid that you log in to, instead that's Fido. Spot is intended to be used as a restricted userid that you run things as, such as a browser and IIRC it does that by su'ing to spot as part of the program run command i.e. it wraps a wrapper script around the program script.

A problem I had when I last tried running the browser as spot was that if the program was updated it lost the wrapper script i.e. the updated version defaulted to running as root again. IIRC that was at least the case for Palemoon.

Puppy isn't a real multi-user system, not like the Dogs where you can ctrl-alt-Fn and login a second/third ... time.

Personally I default login to a restricted userid using a multi-user system. In effect run permanently as a Spot like user but where ctrl-alt-Fn opens up root level access/login (that I don't run internet programs within).

Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts]  
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Jump to: