Create Debian 9 (Stretch) minimal ISO similar to DebianDog

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
fredx181

#221 Post by fredx181 »

jd7654 wrote:
fredx181 wrote:I just did a mate build (installed no login manager) and it booted right to the desktop with the new change to exec $SESSION_MANAGER
ISO size became 262 MB (xz compression used)
Used this:
# Base Applications Install

Code: Select all

mate-core menu leafpad gparted parted pv synaptic volumeicon-alsa alsa-utils viewnior firefox-esr=24.8.0esr-1~deb8u2 pm-utils xdotool wmctrl desktop-file-utils mime-support cryptsetup-bin squashfs-tools conky fakeroot xserver-xorg-input-evdev pfind
Excellent! Mate DebLive-Stretch works perfectly.(I always have to add synaptics and firmware-nonfeee for touchpad and wifi to work) Thanks for the recipe.

To that end, I don't think it hurts to provide working recipies for various desktops. So much of coding is learning from existing examples. So you could provide those base desktop recipies in the script, or as separate readme file or link. Or optionally in the gui as a dropdown list for Openbox, Lxde, Mate, Xfce, etc. that populates the input box. If you do that, you actually surpass the Porteus ISO builder, because the option is there but details are not obscured.

And are you going to update page 1 with the link to the gui script? Or waiting till more updates are done such as ARCH, apps section, etc?

Lastly, I upvote the request for keeping and using local cache for downloads, instead of downloading each time script is run. Since this is not a rolling release, not a lot is changing, and checking latest version may not be needed. Saves on time and bandwidth usage.
I started working already on GUI with extra field specially for Desktop (see pic, example mate-core, moved the other apps to base apps), maybe later in time think about change to a dropdown menu.

I'll wait with updating first post until I made the new changes, almost all suggestions and requests I will probably add at the same time, but will take a while till I'm ready, it's a lot...
I'm hesitating if continuing only for updating the GUI script, or release both (also CLI, means much more work to update), any opinions ?
Lastly, I upvote the request for keeping and using local cache for downloads, instead of downloading each time script is run. Since this is not a rolling release, not a lot is changing, and checking latest version may not be needed. Saves on time and bandwidth usage.
That I don't understand, local cache, what you mean to keep exactly?

Fred
Attachments
2017-08-12-212449_794x354_scrot.png
Gui change, add Desktop field
(46.15 KiB) Downloaded 1189 times

dancytron

#222 Post by dancytron »

I think just the gui script is fine.

You can still edit the applications inside the script itself with the gui script (which I think I prefer). As long as that is the case, I can't think of any other reason for the non-gui script.

fredx181

#223 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Dan,

Yes, I think also the GUI most people will prefer and is easier to preload things (with e.g. checkboxes)

This from your output tells me that the save2flash version you use is different from the one that should be in the build, can that be ?

cat: /tmp/skip_files: No such file or directory 
I guess this explains why your tests are different from mine.

Together with rufwoof some time ago I modified save2flash and snapmergepuppy and the combination doesn't need a script in ~/Startup (which made it overcomplicated by checking file /tmp/skip_files) and snapmergepuppy has improved by using rsync rather than cp

Fred

zagreb999

2 kernels

#224 Post by zagreb999 »

hi fred,
as pebee wrote
at least 2 kernels
as choice

kernel 4.9 has many bugs-
does not work
on all computers

dancytron

#225 Post by dancytron »

fredx181 wrote:Hi Dan,

Yes, I think also the GUI most people will prefer and is easier to preload things (with e.g. checkboxes)

This from your output tells me that the save2flash version you use is different from the one that should be in the build, can that be ?

cat: /tmp/skip_files: No such file or directory 
I guess this explains why your tests are different from mine.

Together with rufwoof some time ago I modified save2flash and snapmergepuppy and the combination doesn't need a script in ~/Startup (which made it overcomplicated by checking file /tmp/skip_files) and snapmergepuppy has improved by using rsync rather than cp

Fred
I've attached the one in my latest build.

Before I added .zip, it was last modified 02/25/16 12:52.

edit: FWIW, this is what I used to build it.

# Set the standard remove firefox-esr=24.8.0esr-1~deb8u2  flashplayerchoice  add mpv upgrade-kernel debdoginstallscripts
BASE="live-boot wget net-tools ifupdown wireless-tools sysvinit-core xserver-xorg-core xserver-xorg psmisc fuse x11-utils x11-xserver-utils dbus-x11 busybox sudo mawk xinit xterm pciutils usbutils file rsync dosfstools"
APPS="openbox obconf menu leafpad pcmanfm lxpanel gparted parted pv synaptic volumeicon-alsa alsa-utils viewnior pm-utils xdotool wmctrl desktop-file-utils mime-support cryptsetup-bin squashfs-tools conky lxrandr lxinput lxappearance fakeroot xserver-xorg-input-evdev pfind"
DOG_APPS="yad gtkdialog obshutdown pup-volume-monitor peasywifi edit-sfs-pcmanfm filemnt-pcmanfm remaster-scripts quick-remaster apt2sfs sfsload fixdepinstall greybird-theme-dd-stretch makedebpackage"
FIRMWARE="firmware-linux-free"
EXTRA_DOG_APPS="mpv upgrade-kernel debdoginstallscripts"
Attachments
save2flash.zip
(4.58 KiB) Downloaded 221 times

jd7654

#226 Post by jd7654 »

fredx181 wrote:
That I don't understand, local cache, what you mean to keep exactly?
Not a high priority. But lets say I made a build, but oops, forgot firmware or change browser and want to run again. Have to delete and download everything all over again instead of just downloading changes.

Working directory 'stretch' already exists 
 To be able to continue, it needs to be removed first
 All files inside will be deleted 
Are you sure to delete directory stretch ? (Enter=yes) (Y/n)?
Not sure if this is really your script's responsibility or would require debootstrap changes.

dancytron

#228 Post by dancytron »

Another minor bug for you.

When run the upgrade kernel script I get an error that /var/lib/synaptic/preferences is missing. See screenshots. There is also an error that apt-utils is missing. After installing apt-utils and copying /var/lib/synaptic/preferences from another install it runs correctly and reports that I have the latest kernel. It even works correctly if I make /var/lib/synaptic/preferences completely blank.

So, maybe the fix would appear to be to add apt-utils to the core apps and add a blank /var/lib/synaptic/preferences to the files automatically copied over. It is hard to know with no new kernel to upgrade if the missing file error is really just a warning and it would work or not. Maybe we need to wait and see.
Attachments
upgradekernelerror2.jpg
(121.21 KiB) Downloaded 187 times
upgradekernelerror1.jpg
(126.06 KiB) Downloaded 130 times

fredx181

#229 Post by fredx181 »

@dancytron

As I thought already your save2flash (as you attached) is different (older) than supposed to be in the build.
Very mysterious !
The files from extracted dog-boot-stretch.tar.gz from github should copy to the build filesystem
https://github.com/DebianDog/MakeLive/r ... tch.tar.gz
(save2flash and snapmergepuppy in usr/bin)
Is older save2flash in your changes folder maybe ? (or some conflicting situation, no idea :?: )

@jd7654
Working directory 'stretch' already exists
To be able to continue, it needs to be removed first
All files inside will be deleted
Are you sure to delete directory stretch ? (Enter=yes) (Y/n)?
Yes, everything done by the script is in folder stretch, not removing it and start with a different setup will mess up things badly, I'm afraid.
dancytron wrote:Another minor bug for you.

When run the upgrade kernel script I get an error that /var/lib/synaptic/preferences is missing. See screenshots. There is also an error that apt-utils is missing. After installing apt-utils and copying /var/lib/synaptic/preferences from another install it runs correctly and reports that I have the latest kernel. It even works correctly if I make /var/lib/synaptic/preferences completely blank.

So, maybe the fix would appear to be to add apt-utils to the core apps and add a blank /var/lib/synaptic/preferences to the files automatically copied over. It is hard to know with no new kernel to upgrade if the missing file error is really just a warning and it would work or not. Maybe we need to wait and see.
Thanks, yes, apps like upgrade-kernel I didn't think of yet, lots to be done to make all 'dog' apps work properly.

Fred

dancytron

#230 Post by dancytron »

fredx181 wrote:@dancytron

As I thought already your save2flash (as you attached) is different (older) than supposed to be in the build.
Very mysterious !
The files from extracted dog-boot-stretch.tar.gz from github should copy to the build filesystem
https://github.com/DebianDog/MakeLive/r ... tch.tar.gz
(save2flash and snapmergepuppy in usr/bin)
Is older save2flash in your changes folder maybe ? (or some conflicting situation, no idea :?: )
Nothing in changes that I could see. It seems that the stretch64 openbox which I am using also has the old one.

Downloading the gh-pages file and copying over new files fixed it.

I will try another build later to see if I can run it down. It is mysterious.

edit: to add to the mystery (and confirm I didn't just accidentally paste the wrong file in before I remastered it), I looked inside the ISO file originally created by the mklive script. It is the old one in there too, but /mnt/live/mnt/sda2/stretch/dog-boot-stretch/usr/bin has the correct up to date one.

Don't worry about it until I do another build and see if it happens again.
Attachments
save2flashdate2.jpg
(59.69 KiB) Downloaded 588 times
save2flashdate.jpg
(84.04 KiB) Downloaded 143 times

jd7654

#231 Post by jd7654 »

fredx181 wrote:Yes, I think also the GUI most people will prefer and is easier to preload things (with e.g. checkboxes)
Yes, the gui is probably all that is needed, if it does no less than cli, and those that prefer can still edit script defaults directly.

Only thing missing: Occasionally, the gui crashes and I don't know which changes caused that. Since it spawns its own terminal, when it crashes the errors are lost.

If the gui script is executed from a terminal, then have it return to that terminal for execution rather than spawning another?(like removing runin_xterm) That way errors or failure point can be seen.

fredx181

#232 Post by fredx181 »

jd7654 wrote:Only thing missing: Occasionally, the gui crashes and I don't know which changes caused that. Since it spawns its own terminal, when it crashes the errors are lost.

If the gui script is executed from a terminal, then have it return to that terminal for execution rather than spawning another?(like removing runin_xterm) That way errors or failure point can be seen.
Yes, that's good advice, I'll change that to being normal (just to run from terminal, no spawning xterm)
Thanks!

Fred

peebee

#233 Post by peebee »

Your post above should fix this but I'll report anyway to reinforce....

On LxPupSc using gui get:

urxvt: "fa": unknown or malformed option.
urxvt: "xft:Monospace:size=13": malformed option.
Cannot make a log file with separate xterm....I would have asked you to add to line 448:
-c 'runin_xterm 2>&1 | tee mklive-stretch.log'

a log is a good idea??

Build went ok....
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

backi

#234 Post by backi »

Hi everybody !
When accessing my ntfs partitions with frugal installations from mklive-stretch-gui they are just readable in contrast to the official Dogs .
How to make them writable too ?

backi

#235 Post by backi »

Hi everybody !

Problem SOLVED .

Installed Ntfs-3g

rcrsn51

#236 Post by rcrsn51 »

backi wrote:Installed Ntfs-3g
How does this work in pcmanfm? Does it automatically use ntfs-3g when it mounts an ntfs partition?

In Puppy, there is a wrapper script around the mount command for this purpose.

backi

#237 Post by backi »

Mounting a NTFS Partition was not the problem......writing and saving changes .....was .
Filemanager is Caja PcmanFm and Thunar ....now working with all of them(writing and saving changes ) after installing Ntfs-3g with Synaptic .
Last edited by backi on Sun 13 Aug 2017, 13:55, edited 1 time in total.

belham2

#238 Post by belham2 »

Hi all,

Did another build this morning. Here's the pics. ISO came in at 203mb, and that is with Firefox-52.3, jwm, roxfiler and losts more (look at build pic). Works great, and is quick. Only thing I am struggling with is how do I get my partitions & volumes mounted on the desktop background where I can see them out in the open instead of always going through rox-filer, opening it, clicking up through to /mnt, then into the sd# directory just to see everything? Pup-volume-monitor (as you see from the pic of the build) is installed, doesn't PVM take care of this, or am I forgetting something simple/stupid??
Thanks. (P.S. Memory RAM usage sits at 77-79mb at idle...the lowest I've seen of any build yet :shock: )
Attachments
jwm-roxfiler-with-FF52.3-build.jpg
(59.61 KiB) Downloaded 424 times
jwm-rox-filer-with-FF52.3-build.jpg
(39.52 KiB) Downloaded 394 times

jd7654

#239 Post by jd7654 »

belham2 wrote:(P.S. Memory RAM usage sits at 77-79mb at idle...the lowest I've seen of any build yet :shock: [/i])
Hard to beat JWM for full featured yet low mem usage: (ref)

rufwoof

#240 Post by rufwoof »

belham2 wrote:(P.S. Memory RAM usage sits at 77-79mb at idle...the lowest I've seen of any build yet :shock: )
Shocking! Why so bad? Has it not pre-empted cached at all?

:) Teasing of course. But more optimal usage would to perhaps be at 80% memory utilisation levels. Cache can be freed quick and easily (made available quickly if the need arises). Under-utilisation whilst often proclaimed as being good isn't necessarily so. Nice that the setup/system uses relatively little, perhaps all being loaded into less than 80MB of space, but if you're running a 2GB ram system that's like having bought 25 cars but only ever using 1.

Even at 4 times the size, not having stripped things down to bare minimum to get it as light as possible, 6 cars but only driving 1 is still wasteful of resources.
[size=75]( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) :wq[/size]
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=1028256#1028256][size=75]Fatdog multi-session usb[/url][/size]
[size=75][url=https://hashbang.sh]echo url|sed -e 's/^/(c/' -e 's/$/ hashbang.sh)/'|sh[/url][/size]