Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sun 10 Dec 2017, 22:26
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Hardware
Anyone running newer puppies on Panasonic CF28 Toughbook?
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]  
Hari

PostPosted: Sat 14 Jan 2017, 18:00    Post subject:  Anyone running newer puppies on Panasonic CF28 Toughbook?  

Hi Folks

First post for me here in puppyville.

I've been playing around with X-tahr2.0 on my old CF28 (P3, 800mhz, 512M ram, i830M). Just curious what xorg.conf "tweaks" others have made for the ancient 830 gpu.

cheers
mikeslr

PostPosted: Sat 14 Jan 2017, 20:27    Post subject: Suggest you try DebianDog Jessie  

Hi Hari,

With only 516 RAM, the CF28 is at the minimum required limit of a Tahrpup. May I suggest that you try DebianDog Jessie (continued), http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=928498#928498, which will boot to desktop using slightly more than 100 Mbs of RAM, leaving you with over 400 Mbs of RAM for actual work.

An alternative is Lupu whose minimum RAM rq'mt is said to be 256 but 384 is the official minimum. http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=739518#739518. Lupu, however, can not run recent Chrome or its clones.

On all, I'd recommend that you use Menu>System>Gparted to create a swap-partition of at least 1 Gb. When your actual RAM is close to being filled, Puppy will shift files in and out of a Swap partition as needed.

Don't know squat about tweaking xorg.

mikesLr
Hari

PostPosted: Sat 14 Jan 2017, 20:58    Post subject:  

Hi Mike

Thanks for the reply.

I've already done a strip/remaster on x-tahr and its only using about 90 mb(ram+cache) at idle. Works quite well actually...just searching for the best setup for the poor graphics hardware.

I have a few of the older pups as well (431, 5.2.8, 5.5 Wary) and they work fantastic with the older xvesa drivers. I've had tahr running the intel, modesetting and vesa drivers, but the display is nowhere as sharp as it is running older pups with 2.x.x series kernals.

Funny you mention DD, I was just doing some research on them and will probably give DD wheezy or jesse a try.

cheers

edit: forgot to mention, yes, my swap partition is set at 1024...never uses it though. If the cache starts getting too high I just zap it with the old # sync && echo 3 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches ...Smile
bigpup

PostPosted: Sat 14 Jan 2017, 23:24    Post subject:  

Quote:
I've had tahr running the intel, modesetting and vesa drivers, but the display is nowhere as sharp as it is running older pups with 2.x.x series kernals.

Tahrpup.
Can try settings here:
menu->Desktop->JWMDesk Manager->Screen Font->Appearance

Hari

PostPosted: Sun 15 Jan 2017, 13:17    Post subject:  

Hi Bigpup

Thanks for the suggestion.

Sadly, I've had to abandon x-tahr for the old toughbook. Stripped down, it runs great, but once I start adding back applications she bogs pretty bad. If I listen real close I can almost here the old P3 crying as it tries to keep up...lol.

Tahr/X-Tahr really are great pups...just too much for something this old. Gonna try DD, but will probably end up sticking to the updated 5.2.8.

Thanks to everyone who works to bring these pups to life and keep them up.

Cheers
H
mistfire

PostPosted: Sun 13 Aug 2017, 06:02    Post subject:  

You can try X-Slacko Slim
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]  
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Hardware
Jump to: