Bizarre results attempting tahr-6.0.6 install to flash drive

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
backi

#21 Post by backi »

Hi B.K. Johnson!
Glad it worked .
Did not expect too much success ........strange accident ...too bizarre .... nobody would believe it .
Encountered this phenomena on different occasions.... also as far as i remember with Tahrpup 6.0.6.
I placed the extracted Tahr 6.06 Iso inside a subdirectory but grub4dos did not find anything.
Putting the content of the extracted Tahr 6.06 Iso on root did work.

With Tahrpup 6.0.5, placed in a subdirectory ,everything works as usual.
Would be interested in an answer too .
Strange....

Regards !

rufwoof

#22 Post by rufwoof »

I usually help out by specifying where to look

Code: Select all

title WoofCE tahr 6.0.6 amd64
root (hd0,3)
kernel (hd0,3)/tahr64/vmlinuz pmedia=ataflash pfix=nocopy pupsfs=sda4:/tahr64/puppy_tahr64_6.0.6.sfs psubdir=tahr64
initrd (hd0,3)/tahr64/initrd.gz
I use pmedia=ataflash even though on HDD as along with setting menu, Puppy Event Manager, Save Session, Save Interval = 0 (and tick the ask-at-shutdown), so that it only saves when you click the desktop 'save' icon, or opt to save when prompted at shutdown.

Isn't 6.0.6 a 'test' version i.e. still having things changed. I have noticed that there are differences in the Pmusic players between the 32 bit and 64 bit versions (amd64 works for me, x86 doesn't ... but perhaps that's because I used a much earlier kernel for the x86 version). Maybe the snapshot test version you're using hasn't been finished yet ???

B.K. Johnson

#23 Post by B.K. Johnson »

backit wrote:
Encountered this phenomena on different occasions.... also as far as i remember with Tahrpup 6.0.6.
You don't know how relieved I am to see this comment. I felt like a lone wolf crying in the wilderness.
I placed the extracted Tahr 6.06 Iso inside a subdirectory but grub4dos did not find anything.
Used the same setup, except used syslinux. The fact that you got the same errs with Grub4Dos means the problem is not with syslinux; not with with the bootloader. I think I have another idea.
Putting the content of the extracted Tahr 6.06 Iso on root did work.
+1
With Tahrpup 6.0.5, placed in a subdirectory ,everything works as usual.
+1

BK
[color=blue]B.K. Johnson
tahrpup-6.0.5 PAE (upgraded from 6.0 =>6.0.2=>6.0.3=>6.0.5 via quickpet/PPM=Not installed); slacko-5.7 occasionally. Frugal install, pupsave file, multi OS flashdrive, FAT32 , SYSLINUX boot, CPU-Dual E2140, 4GB RAM[/color]

bigpup

#24 Post by bigpup »

Did you name the directory Tahrpup 6.0.6 is in this:

tahr606uefi
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

B.K. Johnson

#25 Post by B.K. Johnson »

@rufwoof

You wrote"
I usually help out by specifying where to look

title WoofCE tahr 6.0.6 amd64
root (hd0,3)
kernel (hd0,3)/tahr64/vmlinuz pmedia=ataflash pfix=nocopy pupsfs=sda4:/tahr64/puppy_tahr64_6.0.6.sfs psubdir=tahr64
initrd (hd0,3)/tahr64/initrd.gz	
Wow! Can't hide. Have to be found. :wink:
I tried psubdir on the kernel line.
Also, pmedia=usbflash but not ataflash. I should try that, I'll also try uuid for good measure. You have given me some options to try, Thanks very much.
... as along with setting menu, Puppy Event Manager, Save Session, Save Interval = 0 (and tick the ask-at-shutdown), so that it only saves when you click the desktop 'save' icon, or opt to save when prompted at shutdown.
I do that too, but can only do after I have a live pup.
Isn't 6.0.6 a 'test' version i.e. still having things changed. ... Maybe the snapshot test version you're using hasn't been finished yet ???
You may very well be right. I haven't thought of that. I'll recheck the thread. Thanks for that heads up.
[color=blue]B.K. Johnson
tahrpup-6.0.5 PAE (upgraded from 6.0 =>6.0.2=>6.0.3=>6.0.5 via quickpet/PPM=Not installed); slacko-5.7 occasionally. Frugal install, pupsave file, multi OS flashdrive, FAT32 , SYSLINUX boot, CPU-Dual E2140, 4GB RAM[/color]

B.K. Johnson

#26 Post by B.K. Johnson »

bigpup asked:
Did you name the directory Tahrpup 6.0.6 is in this:

tahr606uefi	
No, just tahr606 and tahr,

I'll try tahr606uefi and get back,
[color=blue]B.K. Johnson

B.K. Johnson

#27 Post by B.K. Johnson »

@bigpup
I tried the directory with tahr606ufi, made changes to the syslinux.cfg - did not wofk
Then changed directory name to tahr-6.0.6.uefi & related changes to the syslinux.cfg - same error
emptied the directory; mounted tahr-6.0.6-uefi.iso and repopulated the directory with initrd, vmlinux, puppy_tahr_6.0.6.sfs and zdev_tahr_6.0.6.sfs - same error.

Every time I had seen in the error reports, the line like unable to find puppy_tahr_6.0.6.sfs in /sda1, I asked myself, why is it looking there. I asked the question in my very first post. This time, I thought, why not put a copy of puppy_tahr_6.0.6.sfs in the root of the boot drive and see what happens. When I rebooted, tahr_6.0.6 came up without error. Initial usage shows it to be a little flaky - wi-fi doesn't work, boot manager doesn't pick up the sfs in the root .... but I am over the immediate hurdle.

I don't know why this boots now; why the main sfs is necessary in both the root as well as in the directory. This is similar to Bill's isobooter which is similarly space inefficient, producing a puppy that has the .iso duplicated in the sdx1 and sdx4. Perhaps if Bill wasn't piqued at my comment on his impatience, answering my question directed at him, in my last post we would get a clue.

Somebody has been eating my porridge. Some changes have been made. The last time I created a multi-boot was with tahr-6.0.5 ... no such problem.
[color=blue]B.K. Johnson

rcrsn51

#28 Post by rcrsn51 »

B.K. Johnson wrote:This is similar to Bill's isobooter which is similarly space inefficient, producing a puppy that has the .iso duplicated in the sdx1 and sdx4.
Not true. The contents of sdx4 are just a link back into the ISO. It exists so Puppy can find its core files inside the ISO.
Perhaps if Bill wasn't piqued at my comment on his impatience, answering my question directed at him, in my last post we would get a clue.
I'm not piqued. Your posts were making no sense and I lost interest.

But did you honestly think that I would continue participating after that comment?

B.K. Johnson

#29 Post by B.K. Johnson »

@rcrsn51
Not true. The contents of sdx4 are just a link back into the ISO. It exists so Puppy can find its core files inside the ISO.
The puppy produced for me by your isobooter may be incorrect because of the problems I have reported. I can only go by what I see, and the attached screenie of sde1 and sde4 show files, no links. The iso in sde1 shows 243M, same as when I downloaded it and when I mounted it, it had the files underlined in red in sde4. That's duplication to me. But if there was an error in the creation, please post screenies of what the two partitions should be.
I'm not piqued. Your posts were making no sense and I lost interest.
I was writing so much nonsense that you were impatient for my answer. I'm sorry to hear you have a short attention span.
But did you honestly think that I would continue participating after that comment?
Not only short attention span, but thin-skinned too. You say you were not piqued but then ask if I think you would continue to participate AFTER THAT COMMENT. It's clear you were upset over a trifling comment that you were impatient.
Attachments
i see only files.png
the two partitions of the isobooter created flash drive from tahr-6.0.6 iso
(99.61 KiB) Downloaded 144 times
[color=blue]B.K. Johnson

bigpup

#30 Post by bigpup »

By your above image.

tahrsave is on the first partition sde1.

Well, to use it that partition has to be accessed/mounted at boot.

Why is the tahrsave not in sde4 with the other Tahrpup files?

Did you put a save there from using the Tahrpup live CD :idea:
YaPI(any iso installer)

bigpup

#31 Post by bigpup »

Just to eliminate this possible issue.

You have done a file system check on the USB drive?

I use Gparted.
Partitions have to be unmounted, so booting from the live CD, should give you that.
Right Click on an unmounted partition.
Select check.
YaPI(any iso installer)

B.K. Johnson

#32 Post by B.K. Johnson »

@bigpup
This last screenie has nothing to do with the issue I raised initially. That screenie shows an isobooter created tahr-6.0.6 flash drive.

I posted it to make a point about isobooter created flash drives. In case you don't know, for a single iso like tahr-6.0.6, iso booter creates 2 partitions: sdx1 and sdx4. sdx4 holds the individual files that comprise the ISO and sdx1 is the boot partition. The pupsave is saved there just like it would with a flash boot without a directory. I booted and saved a session, hence the pupsave you see in my sde1 (not booed).

The point was that since isobooter places a copy of the original iso in the boot partition (sdx1) and has the individual files that comprise that iso in sdx4 it is a space inefficient system. That's why I asked rcrsn51 if I could delete the iso in the boot partition.

Let's now look at an old style way of creating a multipup - separate directories for each pup containing initrd, vmlinux, its main sfs and zdrive if included. I have been doing this for years.

I had tahr-6.0.5 running on my drive. When I added tahr-6.0.6 and adjusted syslinux.cfg for the addition, I got the error. As I stated in my previous post to you, on a lark, I placed a copy of puppy_tahr_6.0.6.sfs in the root of the boot partition. Inexplicably it worked and continues to do so.

Now, I have puppy_tahr_6.0.6.sfs in the root of the boot partition (/home/) as well as in the tahr-6.0.6.uefi directory in the root (/home/tahr-6.0.6.uefi). That's duplication . It struck me that it was similar to rcrsn51's.

I asked Bill if the duplicate iso could be safely removed. He igmored my post. He now contends that there is no duplcation; that there are symlinks. This last screeenie of sde1 and sde4 shows that they are files, not symlinks. I challenged him to post similar screenies. But there is no need to wait on him.
The screenie here, clearly shows the boot partition of the flash boot created by isobooter for Pelo with 2 ISOs in the /home - stretch-7.0.0a1.iso, and MintPup-Jwm-Icewm-hybrid-26-07-2015.

BK

rcrsn51

#33 Post by rcrsn51 »

1. Plug in your ISObooter flash drive.
2. Run the command: fdisk -l
3. Look at the Start and End positions of each partition.
4. Look at the location of sdx4 relative to sdx1.
5. Explain.

B.K. Johnson

#34 Post by B.K. Johnson »

You aren't bored now?
I asked you if I could remove the main sfs from /home. You were too bored to "explain".
Well guess what, I'm too bored now. You're lucky to get his much from me. isobooter is your creation; you explain to the community.
[color=blue]B.K. Johnson

rcrsn51

#35 Post by rcrsn51 »

B.K. Johnson wrote:you explain to the community.
Fair enough.

For anyone who still believes that the files in sdx4 are duplicates and cannot follow the evidence above that refutes that claim, I will be happy to provide more details.

B.K. Johnson

#36 Post by B.K. Johnson »

Hi bigpup
Re system check using GParted>Check :
I did so with both the flash created by ISObooter and the multiple pup (with extra main sfs in root)
Neither gave any critically bad results as far as I can see. But here are screenies for your detective eyes. :wink:
gparted_sbtr_details.txt.gz (isobooter)
gparted_multipup_details.exr.gz (multiple pup - no longer booting since placed in Windows system)

NB. gz extensions are fake.

BK
Attachments
gparted_isobtr_details.txt.gz
Results of GParted>Check on ISObooter created flash drive (Fake gz)
(1.29 KiB) Downloaded 72 times
gparted_multipup_details.txt.gz
(Fake gz) Results of GParted>Check onstandard created multi-pup flash drive
(1.4 KiB) Downloaded 63 times
[color=blue]B.K. Johnson