Do not order an Alpha Litebook from this website

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
muggins

Do not order an Alpha Litebook from this website

#1 Post by muggins »

I saw this post by Barry, on his blog, A laptop for linux, and dived in and ordered one straight away. I don't know when the warning of the bottom of the page appeared, but in any case I missed it.

Well i'm posting here, as I don't know where else to post, that the site https://alpha.store appears to be run by scammers. My money has disappeared down a blackhole, all emails to them are never answered, forum posts are, at first unanswered, then just purged.

There was a thread on delivery delays for the litebook but, again, it just disappeared. Caveat emptor!

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

Exactly where did you order your litebook from?

James C

#3 Post by James C »

drunkjedi

#4 Post by drunkjedi »

Muggins, Barry did give warning at end of that post, see comment there for details.

mostly_lurking

#5 Post by mostly_lurking »

muggins wrote:I don't know when the warning of the bottom of the page appeared, but in any case I missed it.
The blog's time stamps are no help here. Unless my browser is doing something funny, it would seem that Barry K. travelled back in time to post the comment...

(Actually, the warning must have been there since at least March 17 according to Google cache. I agree that it can be easily missed, though, especially if someone only skims the post and then goes on reading the linked Softpedia article. Maybe put the warning on top or change the title?)
Attachments
times.png
(18.58 KiB) Downloaded 552 times

muggins

Re: Alpha Litebook

#6 Post by muggins »

OK, I received my laptop 3 months after I ordered it, as they reckon they sent it to a US address in error. (Even though they emailed me a receipt clearly showing my Tasmanian address). I had to pay an extra $US50 to cover postage.

Anyway, as I don't really need another laptop, I've pm'ed Barry to see if he wants it.

mcewanw

#7 Post by mcewanw »

I didn't realise you were still around muggins. Weren't you doing some university computer-related course or other?

William
github mcewanw

muggins

re: uni course

#8 Post by muggins »

hello William,

yes, i did 25% of a computer science degree in 2006. I reckon I would be in the running for getting a gold medal for dropping out of the most tertiary courses...in 1975 I lasted 1 month doing cobol & fortran4 with
Hollerith cards! I'm basically just not a team person.

cheers

mcewanw

#9 Post by mcewanw »

Ha ha ha, I once had to teach COBOL 85. I had previously been an Electronics Engineer so only knew BASIC, Pascal, C, and various Assembly languages, but got myself a job in a business computing department of a Polytech... So I learned COBOL and taught it using Jackson Structured Programming methodology to a bunch of business computing students who otherwise were generally coding in Visual Basic at that time. Yeah, it was weird all that File, Records stuff and verbose English-like COBOL language - the programs used to work though, but really it was all silly stuff to me who liked to program little robotic vehicles, containing microprocessors/Z80/or 6502 of 8051 and more, and general computer engineering/datacomms interfacing and so on. The things we have to bore ourselves with in life... COBOL.............

I still find computers in terms of just app programming a bit numbskull boring unless there is a bit electronics/interfacing involved - yet I haven't done anything like that (i.e. fun/interesting stuff for years) - never even used a Raspberry PI!!! Trouble is, everything is so easily bought already working nowadays whereas in the past you had to build everything (unless you were rich); My father was into HAM radio in a big way (building transmitters, but who cares about that now we have global Internet - oh... the fun has been taken out of technical life... sigh... My android phone does everything and I hardly ever use it!

William
github mcewanw

Burn_IT

#10 Post by Burn_IT »

Don't knock COBOL (and PL/1).
Pretty much every large corporation in the World running on IBM and ICL? equipment use them.
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett

wimpy

#11 Post by wimpy »

One of the most awesome commands in COBOL was one that allowed you to change lines of code retrospectively. A line "GOTO 47"(say) could be changed later in the script to " GOTO 75". Debugging was a nightmare. And those wrecked Hollerith data cards, which had to be prised out with.screwdrivers and pliers. They would then be reconstructed using a hand punch Wonderful days.:).
LxXenial16.08, LxPupSc17.07.01,Lucid 5.2.8 and others - all frugal

Burn_IT

#12 Post by Burn_IT »

Any sensible support group would refuse to accept such practices as SELF MODIFYING CODE.
I know that I always told companies that I would not support any code like that. The other thing that I refused to allow was LABEL VARIABLES.
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett