Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 25 Jul 2017, 06:54
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Bizarre results attempting tahr-6.0.6 install to flsdh drive
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 3 of 3 [36 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3
bigpup

PostPosted: Sat 15 Jul 2017, 10:42    Post subject:  

Just to eliminate this possible issue.

You have done a file system check on the USB drive?

I use Gparted.
Partitions have to be unmounted, so booting from the live CD, should give you that.
Right Click on an unmounted partition.
Select check.

B.K. Johnson

PostPosted: Sat 15 Jul 2017, 23:15    Post subject:  

@bigpup
This last screenie has nothing to do with the issue I raised initially. That screenie shows an isobooter created tahr-6.0.6 flash drive.

I posted it to make a point about isobooter created flash drives. In case you don't know, for a single iso like tahr-6.0.6, iso booter creates 2 partitions: sdx1 and sdx4. sdx4 holds the individual files that comprise the ISO and sdx1 is the boot partition. The pupsave is saved there just like it would with a flash boot without a directory. I booted and saved a session, hence the pupsave you see in my sde1 (not booed).

The point was that since isobooter places a copy of the original iso in the boot partition (sdx1) and has the individual files that comprise that iso in sdx4 it is a space inefficient system. That's why I asked rcrsn51 if I could delete the iso in the boot partition.

Let's now look at an old style way of creating a multipup - separate directories for each pup containing initrd, vmlinux, its main sfs and zdrive if included. I have been doing this for years.

I had tahr-6.0.5 running on my drive. When I added tahr-6.0.6 and adjusted syslinux.cfg for the addition, I got the error. As I stated in my previous post to you, on a lark, I placed a copy of puppy_tahr_6.0.6.sfs in the root of the boot partition. Inexplicably it worked and continues to do so.

Now, I have puppy_tahr_6.0.6.sfs in the root of the boot partition (/home/) as well as in the tahr-6.0.6.uefi directory in the root (/home/tahr-6.0.6.uefi). That's duplication . It struck me that it was similar to rcrsn51's.

I asked Bill if the duplicate iso could be safely removed. He igmored my post. He now contends that there is no duplcation; that there are symlinks. This last screeenie of sde1 and sde4 shows that they are files, not symlinks. I challenged him to post similar screenies. But there is no need to wait on him.
The screenie here, clearly shows the boot partition of the flash boot created by isobooter for Pelo with 2 ISOs in the /home - stretch-7.0.0a1.iso, and MintPup-Jwm-Icewm-hybrid-26-07-2015.

BK
rcrsn51

PostPosted: Sun 16 Jul 2017, 00:27    Post subject:  

1. Plug in your ISObooter flash drive.
2. Run the command: fdisk -l
3. Look at the Start and End positions of each partition.
4. Look at the location of sdx4 relative to sdx1.
5. Explain.
B.K. Johnson

PostPosted: Sun 16 Jul 2017, 11:15    Post subject:  

You aren't bored now?
I asked you if I could remove the main sfs from /home. You were too bored to "explain".
Well guess what, I'm too bored now. You're lucky to get his much from me. isobooter is your creation; you explain to the community.

tahrpup-6.0.5 PAE (upgraded from 6.0 =>6.0.2=>6.0.3=>6.0.5 via quickpet/PPM=Not installed); slacko-5.7 occasionally. Frugal install, pupsave file, multi OS flashdrive, FAT32 , SYSLINUX boot, CPU-Dual E2140, 4GB RAM

rcrsn51

PostPosted: Sun 16 Jul 2017, 11:59    Post subject:  

B.K. Johnson wrote:
you explain to the community.

Fair enough.

For anyone who still believes that the files in sdx4 are duplicates and cannot follow the evidence above that refutes that claim, I will be happy to provide more details.
B.K. Johnson

PostPosted: Wed 19 Jul 2017, 09:46    Post subject:  

Hi bigpup
Re system check using GParted>Check :
I did so with both the flash created by ISObooter and the multiple pup (with extra main sfs in root)
Neither gave any critically bad results as far as I can see. But here are screenies for your detective eyes. Wink
gparted_sbtr_details.txt.gz (isobooter)
gparted_multipup_details.exr.gz (multiple pup - no longer booting since placed in Windows system)

NB. gz extensions are fake.

BK
gparted_isobtr_details.txt.gz
Description  Results of GParted>Check on ISObooter created flash drive (Fake gz)
gz

Download 
Filename  gparted_isobtr_details.txt.gz 
Filesize  1.29 KB 
Downloaded  3 Time(s) 
gparted_multipup_details.txt.gz
Description  (Fake gz) Results of GParted>Check onstandard created multi-pup flash drive
gz

Download 
Filename  gparted_multipup_details.txt.gz 
Filesize  1.4 KB 
Downloaded  1 Time(s) 

tahrpup-6.0.5 PAE (upgraded from 6.0 =>6.0.2=>6.0.3=>6.0.5 via quickpet/PPM=Not installed); slacko-5.7 occasionally. Frugal install, pupsave file, multi OS flashdrive, FAT32 , SYSLINUX boot, CPU-Dual E2140, 4GB RAM

Page 3 of 3 [36 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to: