Any internet connection wireless, ethernet, or wireless usb

shockwave

#21 Post by shockwave »

Ok I dl the zdrv files. How do i get them to boot up with the cd. or do i have to burn another cd with that file and the original 2.13 puppy file. Please give me simple details if it is more involved. Thanks so much.

caka

#22 Post by caka »

shockwave I am not an expert in Puppy, but I think that there isn´t a version with the zdrv file.

I am using Puppy 2.12 actually. If you don´t want to try Puppy 2.13 with the zdrv file maybe you want download the version 2.12 which included the zdrv file:

ftp://ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributio ... y-zdrv.iso

Are 83 Mb. Good luck
Last edited by caka on Wed 07 Feb 2007, 16:07, edited 2 times in total.

shockwave

#23 Post by shockwave »

Caka,

Thanks for all the help. After reading through the 2.13 read me files i think i want to try and stick with the 2.13 if possible. I will try and find information on how to make it work and what I need to do to get the two parts to work together. That or wait till the next release.

caka

#24 Post by caka »

shockwave wrote:Ok I dl the zdrv files. How do i get them to boot up with the cd. or do i have to burn another cd with that file and the original 2.13 puppy file. Please give me simple details if it is more involved. Thanks so much.
If you want to use the zdrv file, you must save a sesion and create the pup_save.3fs-file. Then you must move the zdrv file to the same partition that pup_save.3fs-file. In the next boot up with Puppy 2.13 it will recognise the zdrv file and will load the modules.

Regards.

shockwave

#25 Post by shockwave »

Thanks caka!

I will give it a try tomorrow. It's after 1am here so I gotta get to bed, but that sounds pretty easy. Hopefully I can get it working.

Thanks again

SirDuncan

#26 Post by SirDuncan »

I downloaded 2.13 with the zdrv file already included, so it does exist.
Be brave that God may help thee, speak the truth even if it leads to death, and safeguard the helpless. - A knight's oath

caka

#27 Post by caka »

shockwave i have download now Puppy 2.13 fulldrivers and burn in a CD.

And after boot I can find the firmware_class file in the directory lib/modules/2.6.18.1/kernel/drivers/base.

Then I think that the zdrv file isn't necesary. You must have all the needed files and the comands will run ok without errors:

Code: Select all

modprobe firmware_class
modprobe ieee80211
modprobe ieee80211softmac
modprobe bcm43xx
I don't understand why you don't find the firmware_class file :?: :?: :?:

What version of Puppy do you have?. You must download this:

ftp://ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributio ... rivers.iso

Have a good night. In spain now is afternoon. I will go to bed in about 6 hours.

Regards.

shockwave

#28 Post by shockwave »

Ok. I burned another copy so I will give it a try and let you know how it goes. Thanks again

shockwave

#29 Post by shockwave »

I burned another copy and I now have all those files. I was able to run the commands with no problem as well. When I run iwconfig i get

etho ieee 802.11b/g essid:off/any with a bunch of other settings. I believe it is loaded, so now how do I connect it? Also I am using wpa connection. Thanks. I can't believe I got this far. This is pretty fun.

Thanks

tempestuous

#30 Post by tempestuous »

You're just in time to use rarsa's new Network Wizard with WPA support -
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 5040#95040

A tip - in the WPA section of the wizard your device is known as "other".

shockwave

#31 Post by shockwave »

Ok I am getting close. After all of that I have both lights working and I can see my connetion. So far I haven't been able to connect. I noticed the wpa setup is a little buggy, but that may be because I was running low on memory. Hopefully I can get it running. If you have any tips for me I would appreciate it. I was also just wondering, that my card might not be wpa capable. Is that a possiblity?

caka

#32 Post by caka »

shockwave you must start with wep encription or without encription in your AP to try if the driver works.

These comands could help you:

First you have to load the driver with modprobe (you now know that)

## if no error messages, this should create a network interface, eth0
## Now you have to upload the driver with ifconfig:

ifconfig eth0 up 
## it should now be possible to use WAG (Wireless Access Gadget) to connect to a wireless network. Or RUit that is the program made by Rarsa. In Puppy you have a lot of options to conect. You can too continue manually with these comands:

iwconfig eth0 mode managed

iwconfig eth0 essid [your ESSID] key [your wep key] open
## for automatic IP (with dhcp)
## first remove stale dhcpcd file if it exists

rm /etc/dhcpc/*.pid

dhcpcd eth0
## for a static IP -

ifconfig eth0 192.168.x.xx broadcast 192.168.x.255 netmask 255.255.255.0

route add default gateway 192.168.0.1 eth0 
# or whatever your router's IP is

## Finally modify /etc/resolv.conf to include your DNS nameservers or use this comand:

echo nameserver [primary DNS] > /etc/resolv.conf
echo nameserver [secundary DNS] >> /etc/resolv.conf
When you get it you could made a script with these commands; and it will be very simple to run your wireless settings.

If you want to use WPA you have to download the network interface made by rarsa or wait some days for Puppy 2.14:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 5040#95040

Good luck.

shockwave

#33 Post by shockwave »

Caka,

Thanks for that nice post. I will give what you wrote a try. I have dl and tried the wpa supplicant and I can get it to talk to my router, but it can't connect. My guess is it is having a problem with the encryption. It's the furthest I have ever been able to get with that computer and linux though. SO thanks

caka

#34 Post by caka »

Try first without encription.

If you don´t conect after that, you have to find the problem. Make a ping could help you.

First of all see the output of "iwconfig" and see if appear the MAC of the AP and if it is the key ok.

The next step is assign the IP and the gateway to your wireless card with the comands ifconfig... and route.... or if you use dhcpcd don´t forget to see with "ifconfig" if you have assigned an IP. After this you have to made a ping to your gateway and see if the AP reply:

ping [your gateway]
If it is Ok. you have conected to the AP.

Good luck.

shockwave

#35 Post by shockwave »

Thanks caka,

I can connect on an open connection, but still not on wpa. It might be because i have it set up as wpa tsk and not regular wpa. do you think that could be the problem? THanks again for all the help

shockwave

#36 Post by shockwave »

caka,

this is the errors i am getting when trying to connect via wpa

cat: /etc/networkusermodules: no such file or directory
cat: /etc/networkusermodules: no such file or directory
killall:wpa_supplicant: no process killed
failed to connect to wpa_supplicant - wpa_ctrl_open: no such file or directory (this one is repeated several times)

tempestuous

#37 Post by tempestuous »

removed. wrong thread.

shockwave

#38 Post by shockwave »

ok i will try it without the wizard like you suggested. I partly got there with teh wizard. I think part of my problem was that I needed to save the profile before I could use it. How do I type the star symbol at the end. I can only find the one on the 8 key but that's different right?

tempestuous

#39 Post by tempestuous »

Shift 8 is correct.

shockwave

#40 Post by shockwave »

what do i need to do so that the card drivers load automatically? Each time I boot up I am having to redo the modprobe firmware_class, modprobe ieee80211 modprobe ieee80211softmac, and modprobe bcm43xx.

Is there a way to make it automatic or should it already be that way and i missed something?