Lucid Puppy Revitalized as 5.2.8.7 - Nov., 2017 - Final

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
rerwin

Re: Acer TravelMate 4000/TravelMate 4000, BIOS 3A03 07/07/20

#861 Post by rerwin »

sindi,
Thanks for the pdiag via PM -- for the 2004 Acer 4001LCI? It shows indications of 3 separate wifi or ethernet cards. SNS shows "eth4|Wireless|orinoco_cs|pcmcia". Frisbee shows "interface: eth3". No information was captured for netwiz -- I am updating pdiag to get that info.

The messages log shows the Broadcom device in only 3 messages:
  • b44 0000:02:02.0: PCI INT A -> Link[LNKD] -> GSI 6 (level, low) -> IRQ 6
    ssb: Core 0 found: Fast Ethernet (cc 0x806, rev 0x04, vendor 0x4243)
    ssb: Core 1 found: V90 (cc 0x807, rev 0x01, vendor 0x4243)
    ssb: Core 2 found: PCI (cc 0x804, rev 0x02, vendor 0x4243)
    ssb: Sonics Silicon Backplane found on PCI device 0000:02:02.0
    b44: Broadcom 44xx/47xx 10/100 PCI ethernet driver version 2.0
    b44 ssb0:0: eth0: Broadcom 44xx/47xx 10/100 PCI ethernet driver 00:c0:9f:45:13:7d
So, it was detected but not used. But later the messages:
  • udev: renamed network interface eth0 to eth2
    udev: renamed network interface eth1 to eth3
So, the Broadcom b44 is now eth2 and the IPW2200 eth3. The last eth2 message is "eth2: waiting for carrier". But eth3 got a carrier -- was that with frisbee?

My understanding is that we are trying to get the "b43" card working. It appears to use the b44 driver instead of b43. I think we need to try to get it working without any other wifi card present. I think this is the first time I have seen a b44, so I would like to work with it in isolation.

The bigger issue, though, is the presence of multiple wifi cards.

Back to SNS and the Orinoco card, that must be a leftover that would confuse the connect wizard and its friends -- without the net_setup-20170316-lucid package you installed.

What next? Can you remove the ipw2200 (and any other wifi card) and leave only the Broadcom b44 card in the laptop? Then avoid confounding the experiment by running only the network wizard. Specifically:
  • - Boot sulu2 to a fresh pupsave.
    - Install the net_setup-20170316-lucid package (available at
    http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 800#948712)
    - Install the pdiag update package, attached.
    - Using the "connect" desktop icon, start the network wizard.
    - Select the appropriate interface button and Network Wizard.
    - Configure the wireless network and click on 'Auto DHCP'.
    - Wait until a connection is made or fails.
    - If it fails, run pdiag and stop; otherwise reboot, creating a new pupsave file.
    - If the connection is not started during he reboot, run pdiag and stop.
    - If the connection is up, try disconnecting and then reconnecting, using a right-click on the network tray icon; expect it to take a minute or two to reconnect.
For either of the ipw2200 or orinoco cards, you can do the same exercise with them -- individually. To avoid confusion, please run these exercises on the same laptop, so we don't get fooled by differences among the laptops.

Once we have established which of the cards can be made to work in sulu2, we can work on the issue of multiple wifi cards with SNS, netwiz and frisbee. I have a more complete net_setup package built for tahr and xenial pups and am about to backport the logic to a version for lucid pups. That will be the basis for changes to support multiple cards. I believe that all of the network managers assume there is only one connection to the internet. It will be interesting to see how the other connections are handled by each manager.
Attachments
pdiag_update-20170324.pet
network diagnostics additions
(1.26 KiB) Downloaded 136 times

Rodney Byne

5287 causes laptop to run hot

#862 Post by Rodney Byne »

Hi to all,

Trying out Revitalised Lupu is ok but....
Starting first thing in the morning with a stone cold laptop,
then booting and running 5287 flashdrive just to desktop has
the cooling fan tearing out its bearings in only a few minutes.

Something in the code structure must be making this
dual-core cpu work very hard to run so hot in no time.
This situation can't be tolerated guys!

What a relief to return to a Slacko 6.3 flashdrive again.
Fan is now back to a gentle tickover speed.

Regards.

sindi

b43 SOMETIMES works perfectly with lupu-retro and sulu1 ?///

#863 Post by sindi »

DELL Inspiron B130.
Yesterday b43 did not work with lucid-retro (all 3 wizards) then it
did with sulu1 (SNS) then it did NOT with sulu1 and not with retro.

So today I was hoping to send pdiag for b43 with retro kernel but it just worked perfectly with SNS, Frisbee and Network Wizard in that order.

I will try to follow instructions above after we get back from hardware store. I have not been notified every time someone replies here.
(Trying to build a house when not playing with linux).

b44 is ethernet (I think in both Acer and Dell). Orinoco pcmcia and ipw2200 mini-PCI were both in Acer but I can test one at a time later.
eth and wlan have new numbers for each added card. Up to eth7 at one time.

Tahr is not as usable on my older computers because it insists on more
than 512MB RAM. It chooses memory-intensive programs. Also checks the whole partition each time it boots (from a 4GB slow drive).

The B130 in theory should work with a 1.6GHz Pentium M socket 479 but would not boot so we put back the 1.4GHz. Computer commented that it had been overheated. Fried 1.6GHz cpu? 1.4GHz is just barely fast enough for Flash most of the time. Review commented on the quiet fan. No dust. Runs pretty cool with lupu2016 and fan is often off.

sindi

run pdiag before or after network wizards?

#864 Post by sindi »

I think you originally said to run pdiag BEFORE the network wizards and this time to run it after. I ran it before.

My results are not reproducible. This last time I booted straight to Lucid-retro from off and it worked. Yesterday I did the same and it did not work.

I will test the B130 with b43, lucid-retro, and sulu1. Do I also need sulu2?
Tahr is on here too. Drive is full.

Pelo

Super Lucid 3.0.25, Precord missing

#865 Post by Pelo »

Super Lucid 3.0.25, Precord missing...

sindi

sulu2 with framebuffer console

#866 Post by sindi »

Having demonstrated the superiority of sulu2 for Xorg and also for using b43 mini-PCI cards (they require 3.2 or later kernel for the firmware to load
consistently), I asked rerwin for help getting framebuffer console to work. He said kernel config is in /etc/modules/DOT*.

I compared lupu2016 (kernel 2.6) and sulu2 (kernel 3.2) and found the significant difference. FRAMEBUFFER_CONSOLE_DETECT_PRIMARY is set to N in the 2.6
kernel and Y in the 3.2 kernel. The latter will 'select primary display device' as console (VGA) and the former will 'select first framebuffer device
loaded'.

Lupu loads fbcon and associated modules during boot (or maybe as part of the kernel), so lupu2016 loads fbcon (first framebuffer device) while sulu2 loads
VGA console (primary display device). If I understood correctly.

According to kernel config help, to bypass the 'Y' setting add after the pfix=XXX (end of that line) fbcon=map:

Kernel config may give clues to why certain network cards work in puppy 4 but not lupu. Xircom 16-bit and cardbus 2-slot ethernet are two such cards.

nitehawk

Re: 5287 causes laptop to run hot

#867 Post by nitehawk »

Rodney Byne wrote:Hi to all,

Trying out Revitalised Lupu is ok but....
Starting first thing in the morning with a stone cold laptop,
then booting and running 5287 flashdrive just to desktop has
the cooling fan tearing out its bearings in only a few minutes.

Something in the code structure must be making this
dual-core cpu work very hard to run so hot in no time.
This situation can't be tolerated guys!

What a relief to return to a Slacko 6.3 flashdrive again.
Fan is now back to a gentle tickover speed.

Regards.
Sorry to bring up an older post,..but I just now saw this. Just this morning I was trying to revive an old Dell Optiplex 270 (about 2.8 Ghz--1G ram). I put 5287 on it ,....and when I booted into the newly installed system,..it did just what you described! The fan sounded like it was trying to take off into orbit. When I installed Racy 550 on it,...the fan was fairly quiet. :shock:

EDIT: Yea!!! I revitalized an older (2005) IBM Lenovo ThinkCentre with Lupu 5287,....and it works great on that computer! Really flies.

rerwin

lupu/sulu libre 21061228 with LibreOffice 5.2.7

#868 Post by rerwin »

I have upgraded the lupulibre, lupusuper2libre and lupusuper4libre versions of the 20161228 release of Lucid puppy, to LibreOffice 5.2.7. Their links are updated in the first message of this thread. LibreOffice 5.2.7 is the final release of the LO 5.2 series.

rerwin

SEAMONKEY ALERT!

#869 Post by rerwin »

I allowed Seamonkey to update itself to version 2.48, but it won't work in Lucid Pups! Version 2.48 has dependencies that apparently cannot be satisfied with available lucid packages. I hope someone more knowledgeable about the possibilities will step up with a solution. For any of you who upgraded to 2.48, I have uploaded seamonkey-2.46-lucid_update.pet to mediafire, so you can restore that version.

Although it is a bit unnerving, you need to first uninstall or remove (or move somewhere else) the current (2.48) version. I simply removed the entire /usr/lib/seamonkey directory, then installed seamonkey-2.46-lucid_update.pet. That package does not contain the /root/.mozilla directories, so should not harm your settings.

However, somehow, the information on the open tabs I retained seems to be lost. Also, the extensions/add-ons I used are gone. That could have been caused by the aborted 2.48 or by the fresh "installation" of 2.46. So, remember what add-ons you need.

EDIT: Seamonkey-2.46 is here:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/68yjsj1pd ... -lucid.pet
Richard
Last edited by rerwin on Tue 29 Aug 2017, 16:49, edited 2 times in total.

watchdog

#870 Post by watchdog »

I propose for testing the following seamonkey2.48 working for me in my lucid 2016 install.

seamonkey2.48-en_US-lucid-glibc219tweak.pet:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9iMb4 ... sp=sharing

It works in racy, too. Not in wary.

A glibc tweak is needed: glibc>=2.12 required. I added libxcb-shm.so from centos 6 but it would work from racy, too.

Moose On The Loose

#871 Post by Moose On The Loose »

watchdog wrote:I propose for testing the following seamonkey2.48 working for me in my lucid 2016 install.

seamonkey2.48-en_US-lucid-glibc219tweak.pet:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9iMb4 ... sp=sharing

It works in racy, too. Not in wary.

A glibc tweak is needed: glibc>=2.12 required. I added libxcb-shm.so from centos 6 but it would work from racy, too.
I was about to start on the same effort.
I am very glad you did this. I am using 2.46 that this moment.

BTW: May attempt to compile seamonkey failed with a syntax error in python. Did you compile?

watchdog

#872 Post by watchdog »

Moose On The Loose wrote: BTW: May attempt to compile seamonkey failed with a syntax error in python. Did you compile?
No, I didn't. I used the precompiled binaries from mozilla with en_US localization.

rerwin

#873 Post by rerwin »

watchdog,
Thanks for helping us out with this issue. I will adopt your solution, to keep lupu up to date with SM.

EDIT, after examining the pet package:
It appears that I could extract the glibc219 directory to, say, /usr/lib and modify the /usr/bin/seamonkey(2.48) script to match, but add code to test for the presence of the /usr/local/seamonkey directory before going to it. That script name would become just seamonkey, to be permanent and generic.

Maybe all of the added code could reside in its own package, so normal updating of SM would work. Or maybe just put it into lupu as architecture stuff (the zz_lupu_5.2.8.7-delta package). Do you see any problems with that approach?
Richard

tallboy

#874 Post by tallboy »

If you also include all the network updates you have been working with, you could name it 5.2.8.7.2... 8)
Just my 2c.

tallboy
True freedom is a live Puppy on a multisession CD/DVD.

watchdog

#875 Post by watchdog »

rerwin wrote:watchdog,

Maybe all of the added code could reside in its own package, so normal updating of SM would work.
I think it would not work because there also is a glibc tweak for the plugin-container: the original plugin-container is renamed plugin-container-exec and plugin-container is a script with glibc tweak in order to use the included up-to-date flashplayer. The update process of seamonkey could be done manually or by a script.

Moose On The Loose

#876 Post by Moose On The Loose »

watchdog wrote:
Moose On The Loose wrote: BTW: May attempt to compile seamonkey failed with a syntax error in python. Did you compile?
No, I didn't. I used the precompiled binaries from mozilla with en_US localization.
Small suggested changes:

Currently when you first start it after the install, it goes to their default page. If a new user is confronted with that page with the big red message, they may feel that there is something they must do. This seems bad. Perhaps, an additional tweak to make it go to a different default page is in order.

In /user/local/bin/defaultbrowser
The line with the exec that you commented out may be a problem. A few of the scripts elsewhere look at that script to see if a default browser has been set. They look for the "exec" line and then parse it. There may be one that can be confused by the exec comment

I made the attached from their icon. I did a few slight tweaks as I scaled it.
/usr/local/lib/pixmaps/seamonkey24.xpm
/usr/local/lib/mini-icons/seamonkey16.xpm
Attachments
seamonkey16.xpm
(3.6 KiB) Downloaded 204 times
seamonkey24.xpm
(6.67 KiB) Downloaded 203 times

watchdog

#877 Post by watchdog »

You can do these changes by yourself: I'm not jealous. I use palemoon as main browser and my package of seamonkey 2.48 is enough for my use. I shared it but it's all open source.

rerwin

Seamonkey 2.48 and special glibc packages available

#878 Post by rerwin »

rerwin wrote:It appears that I could extract the glibc219 directory to, say, /usr/lib and modify the /usr/bin/seamonkey(2.48) script to match, but add code to test for the presence of the /usr/local/seamonkey directory before going to it. That script name would become just seamonkey, to be permanent and generic.

Maybe all of the added code could reside in its own package, so normal updating of SM would work. Or maybe just put it into lupu as architecture stuff (the zz_lupu_5.2.8.7-delta package).
I have now done just that! Watchdog's added logic is now in its own package, glibc219_runtime-lucid-20170808.pet. I adapted his interface scripts to fit the current invocation of "seamonkey" and to work with future updates offered by seamonkey. If you have not installed watchdog's SM 2.48...tweak package and can use the SM Update option, 'glibc219_runtime' is the only package you need to install, to get 2.48 working.

The packages are here:
  • http://www.mediafire.com/file/7u9i5eru9 ... 170829.pet (EDIT)

[EDIT] Two Seamonkey packages replaced by single package that does not contain preset user data, but automatically creates a new set when necessary. The seamonkey interface in glibc219_runtime-lucid presets the start page and suppresses a pop-up about setting a default browser. (There is no need to replace 2.48 if you have it already installed.)
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/t3qcf3ku6 ... -lucid.pet

[EDIT] Palemoon link removed. See the Palemoon posting on the next page, for a more complete implementation of Palemoon for Lucid Pup.
If you have installed watchdog's package, you need to uninstall the seamonkey2.48-en_US-lucid-glibc219tweak.pet package, then install the glibc219_runtime-lucid pet and Seamonkey-2.48-update-lucid.pet, in either order.

The other package, Seamonkey-2.48-lucid.pet, is intended for a first-time installation of seamonkey, as would be done from quickpet. The 'glibc219_runtime' and Seamonkey-2.48-lucid packages (but not Seamonkey-2.48-update-lucid) should get uploaded to the pet_packages-lucid repository (ibiblio, etc.) (by peebee?).

When you run seamonkey you might find in the xerrs.log file, the message:

Code: Select all

(seamonkey:21099): Pango-WARNING **: libthai.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
This appears to be harmless, but can be eliminated by installing from the ubuntu-main repo: libthai0_0.1.13 and its dependencies, libthai-data_0.1.13 and libdatrie1_0.2.2-3. However, that may be something unique to my particular pupsave.

There is another warning I have seen, that maybe watchdog can address, although I am unaware of any impact:

(ROX-Filer:5914): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: /build/buildd/glib2.0-2.24.0/gobject/gsignal.c:3079: signal name `depressed' is invalid for instance `0x8432098'
More about this in my next message, below.

EDIT: Replaced glibc_subset-2.19-lucid.pet with glibc219_runtime-lucid-20170808.pet and changed its references in this message. Improves the install script and adds an uninstall script.

EDIT 8/16/17: Added support for Palemoon browser. Updated glibc219_runtime-lucid and added the latest version of Palemoon.
Richard
Last edited by rerwin on Tue 29 Aug 2017, 16:44, edited 7 times in total.

rerwin

#879 Post by rerwin »

Report on my experience with updating seamonkey, with the glibc addition:

In a fresh puppy environment, I first installed SM 2.40, then glibc_subset. Here are the messages I get when testing seamonkey with the glibc_subset package installed:
  • Clicked on 'browse' icon and responded to configuration pop-up, then saw:

(seamonkey:3122): GLib-GIO-WARNING **: Failed to execute child process "update-desktop-database" (No such file or directory)
    Clicked on 'Continue' on the first page displayed, then saw:

(seamonkey:3122): GLib-GIO-WARNING **: Failed to execute child process "update-mime-database" (No such file or directory)

(seamonkey:3122): GLib-GIO-WARNING **: Failed to execute child process "update-mime-database" (No such file or directory)

On the "Seamonkey 2.40" page, I clicked on the Help menu and noticed the item "Downloading Seamonkey 2.48"; clicked on it and watched the progress until I saw "Update Ready to Install", then clicked 'Restart Seamonkey'; it apparently installed but did not restart, reporting:

XPCOMGlueLoad error for file /usr/lib/seamonkey/libxul.so:
    libxcb-shm.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    Couldn't load XPCOM.
    This was due to its not using the new seamonkey link that set up the glibc libraries, and is to be expected.

Started SM from the 'browse' icon and saw the SM 2.48 page, with its alarming red message about automatic upgrades not working (but apparently they do -- in another test, it first made a "partial" upgrade, then reinstalled with a full upgrade)
When I installed glibc_subset in my regular pupsaves and ran the update option, all went well except that I saw something strange regarding the menu bar and Back and Forward button drop-down lists. Some of them displayed with the characters slanted. The distorted drop-downs occurred on different menus after each SM restart, and sometimes none were distorted. I am hoping that that is related to SM 2.48 and not the glibc implementation.

rerwin

#880 Post by rerwin »

More on the Seamonkey-2.48 distortion problem:
Today, when I started up one of my regular pupsave environments, the entire window was slanted except for the window title bar! This was much more than only the menu problem reported above. See attachment.

So far, I conclude that 2.48 seems to behave itself in fresh puppy environments, so probably has a problem with older Seamonkey "profiles", the directory containing all of the user's Seamonkey information (e.g., /root/.mozilla/seamonkey/agi9ixk5.default). I have not found any mention of that problem online. But I have some suggestions for those of you considering upgrading and existing installation to 2.48.

If you use the Mail part of Seamonkey, you might consider waiting until I or someone figures out the issues with email. I'll give details below, but I want to first give you information if you have already upgraded and are seeing the kind of problems I see. If you are not using Seamonkey Mail, you can revert to 2.46 by installing the 2.46-update .pet I posted here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 665#962665.
  • 1. When you install the 2.46 update, it will not use the glibc update but should still work.
    2. To have it use the glibc update, simply delete or rename /usr/bin/seamonkey link (to -.bak?); that will use the new interface, which seems to work OK for 2.46.
    3. To avoid the temptation to allow an automatic update to 2.48, you can disable that through Edit > Preferences > Advanced (expand its list) > Software Installation, then uncheck the item "Automatically check for updates".
For those using Seamonkey Mail, note this item in the 2.48 Release Notice:
  • Data loss warning: If you use a profile with this or any later version and then try to go back to SeaMonkey 2.40 or earlier, SeaMonkey will rename your history file to places.sqlite.corrupt and create a new places.sqlite file, effectively resetting your browsing history. This is because the internal format changed and the upgrade process only works in one direction.

Additionally, running MailNews with local folders and POP3 mail filters may produce summary files that are not correctly read by previous versions of SeaMonkey. If you decide to go back to a previous version of SeaMonkey, you should delete the .msf files for your local folders and POP3 accounts or repair the folders using the folder properties dialog in order to avoid potential data loss.
This tells me that we should not revert to Seamonkey 2.40 or earlier, but that 2.46 is OK (except for the email issue, which appears to be fixable).

Under 2.48, my Mail function initially shows a momentary black area as it starts, but otherwise seems to work correctly. But I use only its basic capabilities.

If anyone is encountering these or other issues, please report them here, so that I might determine what to include in the next Lucid release, relative to Seamonkey support.
Richard
Attachments
seamonkey248-distorted-600x519.png
Distorted Seamonkey-2.48 window
(84.17 KiB) Downloaded 1060 times