X-Slacko Slim 4.4r49 (unique, stable, and flexible)

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Sage

#541 Post by Sage »

Fantastical, ta.

foxpup

Re: no wifi pn lenovo ideapad 510

#542 Post by foxpup »

foxpup wrote:
May I know what the name and model of your wifi?
Just picking up on this :-)
My ideapad 510 needs this:
Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165 (starting from firmware XX.XX.13.0 and kernel 4.1) 4.2 iwlwifi-7265-ucode-25.30.14.0.tgz
from
http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ ... 05511.html
This did not work.
I took the iwlwifi*ucode* from xenialpup64. That worked. So it does not have to be 32bit.

mistfire

#543 Post by mistfire »

New X-Slacko Slim iteration released!

Changes:

* Lxpup Linux kernel 4.9.x
* Tape drive support
* Fax support
* Disk image creator

Download: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2FRk ... V94SlhmVWc
MD5 Checksum: 418774c49f867a750b925ee611bd513c

Also I will introduced the Puppy Driver Combo Pack, Its just an FDRV file but it is a collection of firmware drivers and supporting software (linux kernel version independent drivers only). This is only an initial release just put the file beside puppy_xslacko_4.2.sfs and restart. If you want to use it to other puppies then just rename it to its corresponding naming scheme.

I try to collect all the linux driver within this forum but I have very limited time to do it.

Download Here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2FRk ... lNXVlE1VjQ

mistfire

#544 Post by mistfire »

New X-Slacko Slim iteration released:

Changes:
* CUPS web interface problem is fixed

Download: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2FRk ... zhFZmxzeE0
MD5 Checksum: c051cd1a7696cf2795ad570a46ea5533

Volhout

R47 startup problems on intel i5

#545 Post by Volhout »

Hi mistfire,

Tried R47 including FDRV.

My test system (laptop with intel i5-3320) initially boots up perfect, including sound. After creating save file and rebooting (it loads the FRDV) it gets stuck at initializing the video.

Removed the FRDV and rebooted, same response (stuck at initializing video at .xinitrc).

Removed save file and rebooted: (this is essentially a first boot) and all works fine.

Shutdown, and created save file
Reboot: gets stuck at initializing video.

It appears that some video settings or drivers are not same after save file is made.
I recall there was a long wait needed in one of the earlier versions, so I waited for 10 minutes. But no success.
Double check with R45 (kernel 4.10.x) reveals the problem is related to R47 (or it is related to the USB stick since both versions are on different USB sticks). May be able to check this tonight.

I may be able to check tonight on another system too.

Regards,

Volhout

magerlab

#546 Post by magerlab »

very strange but wifi interface in Thinkpad t61 laptop can not be seen. I checked all the loaded modules and the module for the wifi card which is intel iwl 3495 is loaded. It has never happen in other puppies. Thank you for any help

mistfire

#547 Post by mistfire »

@magerlab did you try to use intel wireless pet package or the fdrv file here or from other packages?

@Volhout I tested X-Slacko Slim on Neo Basic and Lenovo ThinkCentre using a newly created save file. They both worked fine

Volhout

library

#548 Post by Volhout »

Dear mistfire,

Any chance you can find a "libstdc++.so.5" for this kernel ?
In this build there is "libstdc++.so.6" and a few sym links to it under several names.

I tried to add a symlink name ....5 to version 6, but my application reports it is missing functions in the lib. So version 6 is not backward compatible with version 5.

Regards,

Volhout

P.S. X-Slacko Slim 4.2 R45 has become my workhorse ..... I use it for everything....

mistfire

#549 Post by mistfire »

@Volhout just copy libstdc++.so.5 file and its deps from other puplets. I hope it works

mistfire

#550 Post by mistfire »

New X-Slacko Slim iteration released

Changes:
* Improved and customizable power management.
* Floppy icon will shown automatically on desktop if floppy drive is found. It will mount it when double-click it
* Drop-in rc.local process. Just drop the a shell script in /usr/bin/boot-startup. Instead of editing the /etc/rc.d/rc.local file
* With file shredder, create iso from folder, redshift, xkill, and lynx
* Some bugfixes

Download: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2FRk ... G9NckZJQ00
MD5 Checksum: a4fdfa60b932d933dcaa0a265420cb9a

Need Drivers? Use this fdrv file (https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2FRk ... lNXVlE1VjQ) or use lxpupsc FDRV files

belham2

#551 Post by belham2 »

mistfire wrote:New X-Slacko Slim iteration released

Changes:
* Improved and customizable power management.
* Floppy icon will shown automatically on desktop if floppy drive is found. It will mount it when double-click it
* Drop-in rc.local process. Just drop the a shell script in /usr/bin/boot-startup. Instead of editing the /etc/rc.d/rc.local file
* With file shredder, create iso from folder, redshift, xkill, and lynx
* Some bugfixes

Download: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2FRk ... G9NckZJQ00
MD5 Checksum: a4fdfa60b932d933dcaa0a265420cb9a

Need Drivers? Use this fdrv file (https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2FRk ... lNXVlE1VjQ) or use lxpupsc FDRV files

Hi Mistfire,

Wanted to re-visit your XFCE-based X-Slacko-Slim to see if and what's changed since I tried it 4 or 5 iterations ago. I see you've added lots of nice little touches, from the Power Menu showing 4 cpu power modes, and even to the "Airplane Mode", which I haven't seen in a pup before. Nice.

Also appreciated the Firewall Menu work---again, something I've not seen in any other pup where instead of the firewall just running in a fast popup box where you can't see what's truly happening, your popup clearly shows all firewall options and choices, with explanations, which is, again, really nice.

Another thing I appreciated was the effort you put into the "right-click" options. I can tell you spent time laying stuff out, and covering the bases, so to speak.

Also, really like the Screenshot version you've got going...though I am maybe thinking the choice of "HOST on ZimageZ" is not a good idea. It kind of smacks of things puppy users do not like, like directed/targetted adware inside a pup. Imho, it's better to remove this completely and if you use it, just keep it for yourself.

Overall a really nice job.

Now, to shortcomings I found. These are going to be best explained clearly by pics below. Again (as I pointed out to you 4 or 5 X-Slacko-Slim iterations ago), whatever Xorg you are running just clearly fails to pic up "dual monitors" (I've 2 exact same monitors hooked to my systems). Also, my systems are quite generic, plain mainstream motherboards running on-the-motherboard radeon graphics with AMD X2 Athlon Dual-core chips and 8GB ram. In other words, all stuff that is still widely in use. Not only does the Xorg fail on the dual monitor setup, it also fails to "actually" initiate redshift. Notice the pic for both xrandr and redshift below---for redshift specifically, it starts redshift but it cannot adjust anything because of the failure of Xorg. Peebee had this problem many months back, and then he (or Micko) re-worked the Xorg and I have not seen it since in any of his or Micko's (or anyone's Slacko-based) releases since. It is something you should look into and fix. Sure, the new PAE kernel is nice, but if the Xorg inside is failing on simple things like dual screens setup and/or redshift running, it overall is failing. The next problem, the source if which I am not sure (could still be the faulty Xorg) is that however things are set up, even a "pristine" frugal setup, no matter how many times I downloaded (I did it 3 times) the new ISO and set it up plainly, you've got gvfsd-metadata/xfdesktop/X just maxing the dual core CPUs max out at 100% (check the last two pics). [PLEASE NOTE: I modded the xorg.conf file several ways, and its no use, the Xorg overall cannot run either dual monitors and/or redshift).

So overall, I really wish you could straighten this stuff out, because your distro is nice, for reasons I first started out with---plus especially since it is with the XFCE-desktop :wink: .

Here's all the pics:
Attachments
X-Slacko-Slim-xorg-fails-dual-screens-and-redshift.png
(232.54 KiB) Downloaded 555 times
something-is-100%-taxing-the-cpu.png
(13.24 KiB) Downloaded 517 times
task-manager-showing-gvfsd-metadata-xfdesktop-X-killing-both-CPUs.png
(180.99 KiB) Downloaded 523 times

mistfire

#552 Post by mistfire »

@belham2 thanks for the comment. It is strange that multi screen mode fails though I didn't touch or modify the Xorg components. I just only add some xorg drivers. redshift is worked on intel graphics.

belham2

#553 Post by belham2 »

mistfire wrote:@belham2 thanks for the comment. It is strange that multi screen mode fails though I didn't touch or modify the Xorg components. I just only add some xorg drivers. redshift is worked on intel graphics.
Hi again Mistfire,

This is what I did:

1) Made a new test frugal folder, called X-Mistfire-test, for this latest X-Slacko-Slim version

2) only copied into this X-Mistfire-test folder (using your latest X-Slacko-Slim ISO) your latest puppy_xslacko_4.2.sfs

3) Then I went to my fully working frugal install folder of Carolina Vanguard (2014). From it, I copied into the X-Mistfire-test frgual folder Caronlina's vmlinuz, initrd.gz and the zdrv_vlina_1.3.sfs

4) In the X-Mistfire-test frugal folder, I then renamed your puppy-xslacko_4.2.sfs to puppy_vlina_1.3.sfs

5) Lastly, I made a normal entry in my grub4dos then of:

title X-Mistfire-test (sda1)
find --set-root --ignore-floppies --ignore-cd /X-Mistfire-test/puppy_vlina_1.3.sfs
kernel /X-Mistfire-test/vmlinuz psubdir=X-Mistfire-test pmedia=usbflash pfix=fsck
initrd /X-Mistfire-test/initrd.gz

...and rebooted into this "X-Mistfire-test" concoction. And, well, look at the pics below. It's is X-Slacko-Slim running as it should!!! It is now fully recognizing my dual monitors and also redshift is functioning properly, among other things. Even upon immediate bootup I had to do nothing as my dual monitors were recognized and redshift worked on 1st click.

Thus, Mistfire, the question then becomes: what does this Carolina-Vanguard (of 2014), which is slacko-xfce-based, have that your X-Slacko-Slim of 2017 doesn't? And this is also true of ALL other slacko(s) and x_slackos I have tested over the past 6-8 months---they ALL recognize my dual monitors immediately and equally redshift functions properly. In all honesty, X-Slacko-Slim needs some fixing, as I won't be the only one facing this problem.

(P.S. Everything in this frugal Caronlina-Vanguard-with-X-Slacko-Slim.sfs test folder is working flawlessly so far...am really enjoying it :wink: )
Attachments
X-Slacko-Slim-using-CarolinaVanguard's-vmlinuz-initrd.gz-and-zdrv.sfs.png
(139.7 KiB) Downloaded 449 times
X-Slacko-Slim-dual-monitors-now-working-thanks-to-CarolinaVanguard.png
(128.84 KiB) Downloaded 451 times
Redshiftgui-also-now-working-thanks-to-Carolina-Vanguard.png
(117.8 KiB) Downloaded 442 times

belham2

#554 Post by belham2 »

Hi Mistfire following up:

So, this time I just took the zdrv_vina_1.3.sfs from its frugal folder, and just put it into a complete frugal install of this latest X-Slacko-Slim (with its' sfs, vmlinuz and initrd).

Booted it, and X-Slacko-Slim immediatelly loaded the re-named zdrv file, and presto-magic voila', I also now have dual screens and redshift (and more) with the original X-Slacko_Slim install (the one I took pics of yesterday & first posted to you about).

So, whatever is missing in this latest X-SlackoSlim, it is in that zdrv file. Now it is just figuring out exactly what is, so then maybe I could unsquashfs the main puppy_xsacko_4.2.sfs, edit it to include just the changes needed, and mksqaushfs it back, and it'll be good to go.

Care to look at Battleshooter's Carolina Vanguard (ISO is still easily downloadable and the thread still has people posting in it) http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=814592 and help me figure out what needs included from the zdrv there???

Thanks

mistfire

#555 Post by mistfire »

@belham2 I figured what is your problem. The main file X-Slacko Slim contains some default drivers. If you want to have a multiple screen setup, or you need to support more hardware. Use the FDRV file that I provided (It can support plenty of printers, scanners, and other hardwares due to its size). I updated the FDRV file which I merge the contents of ZDRV of Carolina Vanguard. You can try it now

FDRV download link:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2FRk ... lNXVlE1VjQ

belham2

#556 Post by belham2 »

mistfire wrote:@belham2 I figured what is your problem. The main file X-Slacko Slim contains some default drivers. If you want to have a multiple screen setup, or you need to support more hardware. Use the FDRV file that I provided (It can support plenty of printers, scanners, and other hardwares due to its size). I updated the FDRV file which I merge the contents of ZDRV of Carolina Vanguard. You can try it now

FDRV download link:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2FRk ... lNXVlE1VjQ
@mistfire, I know it was a driver problem, that is what the testing of the zdrv file from Carolina was for. The trick was to find "which" drivers from the Carolina zdrv are needed for a mainstream radeon r600 motherboard with mainstream AM2+
chip. This is something X-Slacko-Slim should support out of the box, with no effort from users. Anyhow, Carolina's zdrv is only 33MB and I only need a few MBs of it. Your fdrv is 71MB! Thus, I'll pass on the fdrv in your link, .....I am trying to stay in spirit and soul to the original mission of keeping X-Slacko S.L.I.M. I'll eventually find it, it is radeon-related and plus a few other dependencies. I'll find which they are using the smaller Carolina zdrv file of 33MB.

Volhout

Video drivers

#557 Post by Volhout »

hi belham2, mistfire,

I mentioned before R47 (and now also 48) do not boot on a i5 DELL laptop. They get stuck in starting X video. I tried with R48 and the zdrv provided, but even with that combination I could not make R48 boot up on this laptop. I confirmed it did load the zdrv.

I tried booting without X video and configure through Xorgwizard
It gave me 3 options, tried all 3 and no luck (VESA / framebuffer / KMS)

Same as with R45.

Since I did not have any other release except R37, tried that one, an it worked out of the box. Too bad my R45-savefile did not match with R37, and I would have to start all over again.

I really think in all the kernel swapping, or leaning, things got broken. A 5 year old i5 is normally supported in kernels since 3.0.

I am not sure if you are motivated to take such a task on you, but if I can help, I will. But I can understand if you are hesitant to commit.

Regards,

Volhout

backi

#558 Post by backi »

Hi belham !
Do you know about Zdrv_Cutter ? :
Remove unneeded modules and firmware - Zdrv_Cutter

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=51552

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 931b0eeb01

mistfire

#559 Post by mistfire »

Some clarifications @Volhout and @belham2

FDRV file size is over 70Mb because I collected different firmware drivers on this forum. It acts as a driver pack and its optional. Im considering that ZDRV driver from carolina vanguard and I will attempt to make it small enough to fit in main SFS without less increase in filesize

I still keep the spirit of SLIM because I want a small puppy but still out-of-the box. I still figuring out how to make it smaller.

I understand and consider your opinion.

By the way. New iteration of X-Slacko Slim was in progress. Take note I will use an LTS kernel.

belham2

#560 Post by belham2 »

@volhout, have maybe you ever tried swapping xorg's in from different pups to see if they will help boot better (whichever pup you want) on your hardware? Just a thought---Peebee got me interested in that when I ran into some problems (though mine were a bit different) with the LxPups. He threw an older xorg in there, and I was taken aback at how suddenly everything worked correctly and my slightly older systems no longer had startup and/or screen resolution/monitor recognition problems.

@backi, thank you, my friend, I did not know of that thread by Technosaurus! Will definitely give it a go and report back!

@mistifre---LTS kernel? Now that sounds good :wink: