Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 26 Sep 2017, 01:54
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Error while running make for Octave on Fatdog7.02
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]  
PappyPuppy

PostPosted: Wed 05 Jul 2017, 17:55    Post subject:  Error while running make for Octave on Fatdog7.02
Subject description: Octave build fails on some ranlib files

Fortran files such as genbet.f, genmul.f - generally, it seems that it's files that have real constants defined as eg. 87.1 rather than 87.0. I am perhaps guessing (based on some reading of posts in other threads on other forums), that perhaps it's the GMP library (multi arithmetic library). My version is circa 2013 - 5.1.3. I am thinking of upgrading this to about 6.1.0 or 6.1.2 or thereabouts. I am wondering if anyone has their GMP libs - a bunch of library files libgmpxxxx.a/la/so or whatever already upgraded, and had no problems with gcc builds that involve calls to gfortran (to build .f files or .for files).

I guess I've already downloaded the tar files for these later gmp's so I'll try it when I have time in a few days, just thought I'd throw this out there.

Not a big deal - I have Octave working on Windows right now. At least I can use it.

I'm using GNU gcc 4.8.3
Moose On The Loose

PostPosted: Thu 06 Jul 2017, 10:10    Post subject: Re: Error while running make for Octave on Fatdog7.02

PappyPuppy wrote:
Fortran files such as genbet.f, genmul.f - generally, it seems that it's files that have real constants defined as eg. 87.1 rather than 87.0. I am perhaps guessing (based on some reading of posts in other threads on other forums), that perhaps it's the GMP library (multi arithmetic library). My version is circa 2013 - 5.1.3. I am thinking of upgrading this to about 6.1.0 or 6.1.2 or thereabouts. I am wondering if anyone has their GMP libs - a bunch of library files libgmpxxxx.a/la/so or whatever already upgraded, and had no problems with gcc builds that involve calls to gfortran (to build .f files or .for files).

I guess I've already downloaded the tar files for these later gmp's so I'll try it when I have time in a few days, just thought I'd throw this out there.

Not a big deal - I have Octave working on Windows right now. At least I can use it.

I'm using GNU gcc 4.8.3

I use Octave on 528 and it appears to be working correctly.
For those who don't know:
Octave is a really great scripting language for dealing with arrays of numbers as matrixes and vectors. It also works well for doing things with arrays as just arrays.

Code:

octave:1>
octave:1> AA=1:5;     # Make 1...5
octave:2> AA
AA =

1   2   3   4   5

octave:3> # see nice numbers
octave:3> AA .* 3     #   .*  means element by element
ans =

3    6    9   12   15

octave:4>

It is very like matlab but in a fair few ways better. Perhaps the most important is that because it is free (an in liberty) it works perfectly well without a connection to a license server.

to make your basic graph of X,Y you do
plot(X,Y)
It doesn't take long to pick it up and use it for stuff.
PappyPuppy

PostPosted: Fri 07 Jul 2017, 08:35    Post subject: I believe it's the GMP library
Subject description: I will get back to this tomorrow

I am using an older GMP, perhaps the newer one will have the fix I need.

Yes, I do long simulations with Octave's tools and it works great! The plots are great - you can run many plots in one Figure using the subplot command:

For 3, use subplot(3, 1, 1), subplot (3, 1, 2), etc..
PappyPuppy

PostPosted: Fri 07 Jul 2017, 08:51    Post subject: Re: Error while running make for Octave on Fatdog7.02

So you are using GNU C++ 5.28? I wonder what GMP libraries you have. GMP goes from about 5.1 up to 6.0 and beyond. I didn't know that GNU C++ had a 5.28? I thought it went from 5.20 to 5.30. I guess it has versions in-between.

Moose On The Loose wrote:
PappyPuppy wrote:

I'm using GNU gcc 4.8.3

I use Octave on 528 and it appears to be working correctly.
For those who don't know:
Octave is a really great scripting language for dealing with arrays of numbers as matrixes and vectors. It also works well for doing things with arrays as just arrays.

Code:

octave:1>
octave:1> AA=1:5;     # Make 1...5
octave:2> AA
AA =

1   2   3   4   5

octave:3> # see nice numbers
octave:3> AA .* 3     #   .*  means element by element
ans =

3    6    9   12   15

octave:4>

It is very like matlab but in a fair few ways better. Perhaps the most important is that because it is free (an in liberty) it works perfectly well without a connection to a license server.

to make your basic graph of X,Y you do
plot(X,Y)
It doesn't take long to pick it up and use it for stuff.
Moose On The Loose

PostPosted: Fri 07 Jul 2017, 09:50    Post subject: Re: Error while running make for Octave on Fatdog7.02

PappyPuppy wrote:
So you are using GNU C++ 5.28? I wonder what GMP libraries you have. GMP goes from about 5.1 up to 6.0 and beyond. I didn't know that GNU C++ had a 5.28? I thought it went from 5.20 to 5.30. I guess it has versions in-between.

Perhaps I should have been clearer.
Puppy version = 528

I've made 4 pets to make it work.
Which one should I investigate further to find what you are asking for?

gfortran-4.2.2.pet
glpk-4.40-i486.pet
gnuplot-4.2.5.pet
octave-3.2.3-i486.pet

[/code]
PappyPuppy

PostPosted: Sat 29 Jul 2017, 14:04    Post subject: Sorry, I didn't notice your post
Subject description: I installed Octave on Windows 10

And on RHEL Linux 7.2. But I still want to answer your post, ie. try what you said, I'll get back to it soon. In the meantime, I just need to use Octave to do some work.
PappyPuppy

PostPosted: Sat 29 Jul 2017, 14:53    Post subject: I've installed configured, made, and installed gmp 6-1.0
Subject description: It's a large math library

I want to go through the ./configure process for Fatdog and install some more stuff, before running make again. The config.log should help.
Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]  
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to: