slacko-700 rc3

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
roadkill13

#221 Post by roadkill13 »

I downloaded and installed the 32 bit version to my Eeepc 901a. I have been trying to break it. I omitted the Adrv and installled Chromium 59 from the forum.
System: Host: puppypc3152 Kernel: 3.16.43 i686 (32 bit) Desktop: JWM 2.3.2
Distro: Slacko Puppy 6.9.9.9
Machine: Device: laptop System: ASUSTeK product: 901 v: x.x serial: EeePC-1234567890
Mobo: ASUSTeK model: 901 v: x.xx serial: EeePC-0123456789
BIOS: American Megatrends v: 2103 date: 06/11/2009
Battery BAT0: charge: 50.4 Wh 100.0% condition: 50.4/57.6 Wh (87%)
CPU: Single core Intel Atom N270 (-HT-) cache: 512 KB
clock speeds: max: 1600 MHz 1: 1599 MHz 2: 1599 MHz
Graphics: Card: Intel Mobile 945GSE Express Integrated Graphics Controller
Display Server: X.org 1.18.3 drivers: intel (unloaded: modesetting,fbdev,vesa)
tty size: 80x25 Advanced Data: N/A for root
Audio: Card Intel NM10/ICH7 Family High Definition Audio Controller
driver: snd_hda_intel
Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k3.16.43
Network: Card: Ralink RT2790 Wireless 802.11n 1T/2R PCIe driver: rt2800pci
IF: wlan0 state: up mac: 00:15:af:e6:83:46
Drives: HDD Total Size: 12.1GB (15.3% used)
ID-1: /dev/sda model: ASUS size: 4.0GB
ID-2: /dev/sdb model: ASUS size: 8.1GB
Partition: ID-1: swap-1 size: 1.10GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sdb2
RAID: No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors: None detected - is lm-sensors installed and configured?
Info: Processes: 105 Uptime: 3:51 Memory: 182.4/2010.8MB
Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 2.3.8
Running well so far. Amazon Prime Video accounts for much of the uptime.

I am liking this very much.

zigbert

#222 Post by zigbert »

davids45 wrote:G'day,

I've just tried to read a fairly full data CD made on a Windows laptop (someone else's, Windows version unknown).
The CD would show as a desktop icon with slacko6999 but would not mount by clicking or with pmount.
Pburn's Disk-info-Tool said it was a blank CD.

Xenial Pup read and copied the files from the CD without problem, as did a Windows7 laptop.

I haven't tried with any earlier slacko but can if it is a problem others can confirm in slacko and not my DVD reader (old Sony model).

David S.
If using the 'Disc info' from the Tools menu in pBurn, there are 2 things that could fail when checking a CD. - Either cdrecord or mount. Please try these commands to see which one is making trouble:

Code: Select all

cdrecord dev=/dev/cdrom -toc

mount /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom -t auto
ls /mnt/cdrom

Billtoo

#223 Post by Billtoo »

[quote="Sailor Enceladus"][
I found that ppm and packages install better for me in pupmode 13 with this (attached). I didn't try it with kpat or kodi though.
quote]

I did a new install to a 32gb SDHC card, installed fix_pupmode13.pet,
kpat and kodi installed and work fine.
I may be mistaken but I don't think they would have installed without
the pet.

# PUPMODE=13
# PDEV1='sdc1'
# DEV1FS='ext4'
# PUPSFS='sdc1,ext4,/slacko-6999-jun21/puppy_slacko_6.9.9.9.sfs'
# PUPSAVE='sdc1,ext4,/slacko-6999-jun21/slackosave-jun21'
# PMEDIA='usbflash'

Thanks.

prehistoric

#224 Post by prehistoric »

Sigh. I've had another episode in which the WiFi failed for no reason I can blame on the external network. (This is still with 32-bit Slacko 6.9.9.9 with the fix for dhcpd running on that beat-up D600.) I have had successful tests with this configuration both with and without a save file. The fix appears to have changed probabilities rather than eliminating the problem. It is still nondeterministic.

I would like someone with a machine that still has a working hard drive to try this. I'm becoming convinced the problem turns up intermittently when save files are on a USB flash drive. I also find I cannot always boot from a USB drive. This can be corrected by running a diagnostic in ROM which properly initializes the USB subsystem. After that it boot consistently.

When it fails it never uses a preexisting profile which worked on a previous boot. It doesn't even tell me it is "attempting to connect to 'whatevernet' " and that makes me wonder if it is missing the layer from the USB flash drive.

At the moment I don't have a comparable machine where I can test this suspicion without using USB.

rcrsn51

#225 Post by rcrsn51 »

prehistoric wrote:I would like someone with a machine that still has a working hard drive to try this. I'm becoming convinced the problem turns up intermittently when save files are on a USB flash drive.
I set up a USB install of slacko-6.9.9.9-k3.16-4G-PM-ABI.iso. I used ISObooter with a save folder on a separate ext4 partition. Any other setup is a waste of my time.

I set up PWF using a generic carl9170 adapter with auto-start. PWF uses the /root/Startup folder which sometimes has timing problems with recent Slackos involving the system tray. But that is a side issue and there is a simple work-around.

It worked each time, every time.
I also find I cannot always boot from a USB drive. This can be corrected by running a diagnostic in ROM which properly initializes the USB subsystem. After that it boot consistently.
With all due respect, if your machine has this kind of basic hardware problem, your test reports cannot carry much weight.

rcrsn51

Re: Failing to read data CD

#226 Post by rcrsn51 »

davids45 wrote:I've just tried to read a fairly full data CD made on a Windows laptop (someone else's, Windows version unknown).
The CD would show as a desktop icon with slacko6999 but would not mount by clicking or with pmount.
Pburn's Disk-info-Tool said it was a blank CD.
Is this the situation where the CD was burned in Windows with the UDF filesystem instead of ISO 9660?

Try mounting it with

mount -t udf /dev/sr0 /mnt/cdrom

davids45

Unmountable CDROM in (32-bit) 6.9.9.9

#227 Post by davids45 »

G'day zigbert and rcrsn51,

Here are the results of trying your suggestions.

Hoping these responses are helpful in the "wider world" (beyond my world).

Thanks to both of you for your assistance.

David S.
Attachments
zigbert-scripts-results.png
terminal output for zigbert's scripts.
(48.92 KiB) Downloaded 1168 times
rcrsn51-script.png
terminal result for rcrsn51 script - CD is now mounted
(5.5 KiB) Downloaded 1170 times
cd-mounted-OK.png
after running rcrsn51 script - CD mounted and readable
(9.31 KiB) Downloaded 1172 times

ozsouth

Flash issues

#228 Post by ozsouth »

Minor bug - Slacko64-6999-all versions - browsers won't open .swf.
Tried diff browsers/flashplugins/laptops - asks to open with defaultmediaplayer.
OK in earlier pups with all combos tried above. Otherwise very good - especially k4.4.

rcrsn51

#229 Post by rcrsn51 »

@davids45:

Run "probepart". Does it see the disk as UDF?

Run "guess_fstype /dev/sr0". What does it see?

prehistoric

#230 Post by prehistoric »

rcrsn51 wrote:...
With all due respect, if your machine has this kind of basic hardware problem, your test reports cannot carry much weight.
What's bugging me is why the problem does not turn up on this machine with Puppy 4.3.1 or Tahrpup 6.0.5. I was quite willing to blame the hardware before I tried those.

(I expect the booting problem will disappear when I replace the coin cell battery. Once the OS boots it should take over anyway, even if the BIOS was messed up.)

I'll have some other old machines to compare this weekend. Maybe I'll get a better clue.
Last edited by prehistoric on Thu 22 Jun 2017, 21:47, edited 1 time in total.

gyro

#231 Post by gyro »

bigpup wrote:I think this is the one it is talking about:
lib/modules/4.4.70/kernel/drivers/hid/i2c-hid/i2c-hid.ko

Could this be causing the save wifi issue in Slacko 32bit???????
No.
That's just a facility called "initmodules" loading a module that is most likely needed by your keyboard, in case the save layer processing requires input from the keyboard.

gyro

01micko

#232 Post by 01micko »

mavrothal wrote:Tried a bit slacko64 on my MacBook :shock:
To begin with here is the Broadcom wl wifi driver, as b43 does not work on Macs
It also needed to force the "uxa" AccelMethod for the intel driver and disable some pesky gpe interrupts that flood the CPU.
One think I could not manage is to get it detect the touchpad properly or even just load the synaptics driver. Not sure if it is Xserver, udev or kernel. I should just point out that Mint handles it perfectly and fd710 adequately. Slacko's is unusable really (cmon Mick, I know you have a macbook at home 8) )

One other thing. Cryptsetup is not in the main sfs so the LUKS encryption option is not offered at shutdown.
I also compiled the broadcom facetime camera driver but although is loaded fine and activates the camera is giving no image and a lot of GPU complains. If anyone wants to take a further look let me know so I upload the pet (or try it yourself compiling from source)

That's it for Pup MacSlack :D
Actually working really well on my wife's macbook air (~2012/13) with k4.9.30 - however I made a hack to rc.sysinit similar to the 'ISITANXO' routine. I'll attach a patch if you wanna try it. Just apply it, save and reboot. Touch pad works flawlessly, 2 finger light tap gives middle click, 2 finger heavy tap gives right click, 2 finger swipe down and scrolling works.

Have you tried the bcrmsmac driver for wifi? Works here and also worked in the wife's old mackbook (2009) which is since long dead. I'm guessing you have a pro though? Maybe a different broadcom chip?

crypsetup will be added.
Attachments
mac.diff.gz
try this if you have a macbook, or even an imac.
(801 Bytes) Downloaded 69 times
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

zigbert

#233 Post by zigbert »

rcrsn51 wrote:Try mounting it with

mount -t udf /dev/sr0 /mnt/cdrom
So, I can fix pBurn to mount UDF-discs, but it doesn't help the essential issue - to mount it by clicking on disc-icon on desktop. Is this a bug in mount, or do we have to add an extra check-routine in pmount and pup_event?

Sailor Enceladus

#234 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

A minor thing I noticed (in slacko-6.9.9.9-k3.16-4G-FF-ABI.iso): If you right-click a link in Hexchat, both the "Open Link in Browser" and "Open Link in Puppy Browser" don't do anything. I believe this issue was also in Slacko 6.3 and patched in 6.3.2 (or something like that) by changing "Open Link in Puppy Browser" to something else, or maybe I'm thinking of XChat.

In Rox, with the flat theme, I thought "Select All" looked a little too similar "Show Extra Details", I clicked "Select All" by accident like 10 times (because it was closer to my eyes) until learning not to press that icon. It's "change to home directory" icon almost looks like just a brown up triangle (original theme) but if I look at it very closely I can see the bottom of the house. :lol:
Attachments
Screenshot.png
(19.74 KiB) Downloaded 737 times

mavrothal

#235 Post by mavrothal »

01micko wrote:Actually working really well on my wife's macbook air (~2012/13) with k4.9.30 - however I made a hack to rc.sysinit similar to the 'ISITANXO' routine. I'll attach a patch if you wanna try it. Just apply it, save and reboot. Touch pad works flawlessly, 2 finger light tap gives middle click, 2 finger heavy tap gives right click, 2 finger swipe down and scrolling works.

Have you tried the bcrmsmac driver for wifi? Works here and also worked in the wife's old mackbook (2009) which is since long dead. I'm guessing you have a pro though? Maybe a different broadcom chip?
Yeap. The patch worked. Rerunning udev did the job.
Did not specifically tested bcrmsmac. After default failed I went for wl. In retrospect, ISITAMAC mau also trigger --subsystem-match="net" (originally was also used for the XO)
Any lack with battery? powerapplet_tray exits with "1" although /sys/class/power_supply/BAT0 has all the info. vattery maybe instead?

Latter: bcrmsmac does not work with or w/o blacklisting b43 or adding --subsystem-match="net" .
Still no batter with --subsystem-match="power_supply".
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

slenkar

#236 Post by slenkar »

have you tried to build nodejs on this os?

it says stddef.h is missing.

On the positive side:
On puppy, for some reason, the ralink wireless driver seems to work a lot better than it does on Ubuntu and Debian,
Dont know why.

I was able to compile and run fuse-emulator latest version which is good, and just discovered that Opera allows you 'pop out' youtube videos so you can watch it while doing something else....and it's debug console is exactly the same as chrome, which is nice.

EDIT- I compiled and ran fuse-emulator before I saved the state of puppy onto the hard drive (as it is frugal)
but when I restart now it is saying fuse-emulator needs libgcrypt.so.20 to run.
This is what the older version of slacko was saying.
libgcrypt20 isnt present in the repository and trying to build libgcrypt leads to dependency hell.

josepinto

Opera 46 does not run

#237 Post by josepinto »

Hi,
I used the included browser installer to create Opera 46 sfs but it does not run after loading the sfs.
Opera 45 worked ok.
I did not tested Chrome or Vivaldi.
Thanks in advance,

José Pinto

Billtoo

slacko-700 rc3

#238 Post by Billtoo »

I installed a 6.9.9.9 build that came from a fresh install of woof-CE
testing branch (june 25th)

VIDEO REPORT: Slacko Puppy, version 6.9.9.9

Chip description:
VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GF108 [GeForce GT 430] (rev a1)

Requested by /etc/X11/xorg.conf:
Resolution (widthxheight, in pixels): 3840x1080
Depth (bits, or planes): 24
Modules requested to be loaded: dbe
Drivers requested to be loaded: nvidia

Probing Xorg startup log file (/var/log/Xorg.0.log):
Driver loaded (and currently in use): nvidia
Loaded modules: dbe dri2 fb glx kbd mouse ramdac wfb

Actual rendering on monitor:
Resolution: 3840x1080 pixels (1049x292 millimeters)
Depth: 24 planes

PUPMODE=12
PDEV1='sda1'
DEV1FS='ext4'
PUPSFS='sda1,ext4,/slacko-6999/puppy_slacko_6.9.9.9.sfs'
PUPSAVE='sda1,ext4,/slacko-6999/slackosave-jun26'
PMEDIA='atahd'

Pupmode 12 installs work fine, Pupmode 13 installs lose sound after
installing some software with PPM (kodi for one). get the same result
on different computers,graphics cards, etc.
Attachments
screenshot.jpg
(64.13 KiB) Downloaded 395 times

OscarTalks

Re: Opera 46 does not run

#239 Post by OscarTalks »

josepinto wrote:I used the included browser installer to create Opera 46 sfs but it does not run after loading the sfs.
Opera 45 worked ok.
I did not tested Chrome or Vivaldi.
Thanks in advance
Vivaldi 1.10 is 64bit only and requires GTK+3
I believe the same applies to Opera 46
Oscar in England

gyro

#240 Post by gyro »

01micko,

I did some testing of my video problem, GPU hangs until set "XUA".
I notied that LxPupSc 17.06.22 does not have this probelm, so I tried using it's 4.11.5 kernel with slacko, but that did not fix the problem.
I then noticed that slacko has "X.Org 1.18.3, Open GL 3.0 Mesa 11.2.2."
Where as lxpupsc has "X.Org 1.19.3, Open GL 3.0 Mesa 17.1.2".
How can I upgrade this X stuff in slacko to see if that fixes the issue?

gyro