Fatdog64-710 Final [4 Dec 2016]

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
jotab

#481 Post by jotab »

I installed chrome from control panel, but the chrome wont launch, not happens... How can I fix it?

Thanks

FanDog

#482 Post by FanDog »

@ jotab

Hi, first thing you should try is going to Control Panel -> Updates -> Get Google Chrome.

This should probably work. Otherwise, you may have to update your source repos before trying with Gslapt again. (see if the repos end with 702 (a version of FatDog) and replace it with 710).

Another thing you should try is running from the console, and checking the error output. You may have to install gtk3 for it to work.

step

#483 Post by step »

FanDog wrote:hey step, if you may help me one last time.. : -)

I'm trying to install one package from npm (yo), but it complains it has no permission to write to the node folders (pup_ro is obviously mounted Read-Only).

Problem is, apparently it requires the -g flag (global), 'cause when I try to install it locally, to work around this (and it does install), the yo command itself never appears.

So my question is either, how to find the command (can't seem to find, maybe it just doesn't install correctly without the -g or maybe it's a symlink to something named something else? glancing over github didn't help much); OR how to re-mount pup_ro as rw?

Any suggestions?
Normally global packages are installed in /usr/lib/node_modules. Is there such a path in your system? If not, you could try creating it with rox or mkdir and then installing yo with -g. If it's like any other package you should find it under /usr/lib/node_modules/yo.

pup_ro is ro because it's an SFS. can't simply remount an SFS rw. Instead you could tell node and npm to use alternative default paths that are located in a rw filesystem. You can do that by setting environment variables such as NODE_PATH. Read the node/nps documentation, here's a starting point.
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Fatdog64-810[/url]|[url=http://goo.gl/hqZtiB]+Packages[/url]|[url=http://goo.gl/6dbEzT]Kodi[/url]|[url=http://goo.gl/JQC4Vz]gtkmenuplus[/url]

step

#484 Post by step »

@jotab, in addition to what FanDog wrote, see this post.
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Fatdog64-810[/url]|[url=http://goo.gl/hqZtiB]+Packages[/url]|[url=http://goo.gl/6dbEzT]Kodi[/url]|[url=http://goo.gl/JQC4Vz]gtkmenuplus[/url]

FanDog

#485 Post by FanDog »

@step

Cool. but remember that previous problem? I'm afraid it's gonna shadow anything that's already there. So what I'm gonna do is try that and re-link any subdirs.. since it hasn't complained up 'til now, it's probably not updated often. (there seems to be "only" npm there but, it itself has a node_modules subdir which could change more often)

anyways, tomorrow I'll update this post with the results. : -) thx.

eowens2

#486 Post by eowens2 »

@smokey01,

I am still looking for the wpa_gui 'target' icon that is missing from the tray at the bottom of the screen.

smokey01 said:

@eowens2, Look in /etc/xdg/Startup

It will work in /root/Startup as well.
In my /etc/xdg/Startup, I have an executable WpaGui file with the contents

Code: Select all

#!/bin/dash
. $BOOTSTATE_PATH
[ "$CONFIGURED_NET" ] && EXIT #Leave if network already configured at boot
sleep 5 #if WpaGui doesn't show in icon tray, more delays needed
exec /usr/sbin/wpa_gui -t
The wpa_gui icon still does not appear with a 'sleep 8'.

'wpa_gui' in the terminal opens the wpa window and places the icon in the tray, but the icon goes away when the process is terminated with the message 'wpa_gui will keep running in the system tray'.

My /root/Startup file has a ghosted 'wire-fence-grid' appearance and will not allow me to type into it.

Right-clicking the tray opens a window, with the option to 'Add Panel Widgets...', but 'Wpa_Gui' is not one of the choices. Should it be?

What am I missing?

smokey01

#487 Post by smokey01 »

@eowens2

There should be a startup script in /etc/xdg/Startup called WpaGui. This starts the wpa_gui each time you boot Fatdog64-710.

If it's not there create the script with this content:

#!/bin/dash
. $BOOTSTATE_PATH
[ "$CONFIGURED_NET" ] && exit # leave if network already configured at boot
sleep 5 # if WpaGui still doesn't show in icon tray, more delays needed
exec wpa_gui -t
This is a wrapper script that points to the actual binary in /usr/sbin/wpa_gui

Clicking on the wpa_gui binary will run the app and put it in the tray.

It does appear your wrapper script may be missing, if so, just recreate it as I described above.

Cheers

eowens2 wrote:@smokey01,

I am still looking for the wpa_gui 'target' icon that is missing from the tray at the bottom of the screen.

smokey01 said:

@eowens2, Look in /etc/xdg/Startup

It will work in /root/Startup as well.
In my /etc/xdg/Startup, I have an executable WpaGui file with the contents

#!/bin/dash
. $BOOTSTATE_PATH
[ "$CONFIGURED_NET" ] && EXIT #Leave if network already configured at boot
sleep 5 #if WpaGui doesn't show in icon tray, more delays needed
exec /usr/sbin/wpa_gui -t
The wpa_gui icon still does not appear with a 'sleep 8'.

'wpa_gui' in the terminal opens the wpa window and places the icon in the tray, but the icon goes away when the process is terminated with the message 'wpa_gui will keep running in the system tray'.

My /root/Startup file has a ghosted 'wire-fence-grid' appearance and will not allow me to type into it.

Right-clicking the tray opens a window, with the option to 'Add Panel Widgets...', but 'Wpa_Gui' is not one of the choices. Should it be?

What am I missing?

dr. Dan

#488 Post by dr. Dan »

@eowens2:
Just in case, at the terminal, enter

wpa_gui &
then use ctrl-d to close the terminal. Did that change your result? I have had similar issues here and there, and this set things right until the next restart.
Dan

FanDog

#489 Post by FanDog »

@ step

my plan didn't work lol but I did discover where the locally installed packages place their bins and, sure enough, my hypothesis of a different name was correct. It did work (calling it manually), for the most part, but proceeded anyway to follow your advice and see if it could be done "properly".

There seems to be a command "config ls" that helped a lot.. then placing a .npmrc in ~ did the trick, and there is even another command to do this auto, config set prefix, which even overrides the previous values of prefix.

It seems I can finally set out to work. Thanks man.

jake29

REISUB support

#490 Post by jake29 »

Is there a Kernel for FD64-710 with REISUB enabled? Recently I've been caught in a few situations where something I have run has caused FD64 to lock-up and have been left with no choice but to hard power-off.

Please correct me if this option already exists, or if there is an alternative Magic SysRq.

SFR

#491 Post by SFR »

jake29 wrote:Is there a Kernel for FD64-710 with REISUB enabled?
Yes, we started to include this feature at some point, but I don't remember if all kernels for 710 have it. You can check this with:

# zgrep -i 'sysrq' /proc/config.gz 
CONFIG_MAGIC_SYSRQ=y
CONFIG_MAGIC_SYSRQ_DEFAULT_ENABLE=0
# 
k4.4.35 and later builds have it for sure.
It's disabled by default, though, so you need to add this line to e.g. rc.local to enable it:

[ -e /proc/sys/kernel/sysrq ] && echo 1 > /proc/sys/kernel/sysrq
Greetings!
[color=red][size=75][O]bdurate [R]ules [D]estroy [E]nthusiastic [R]ebels => [C]reative [H]umans [A]lways [O]pen [S]ource[/size][/color]
[b][color=green]Omnia mea mecum porto.[/color][/b]

jake29

#492 Post by jake29 »

Thanks SFR, the feature is now working via the rc.local edit with Kernel 4.4.35.

anikin

#493 Post by anikin »

@SFR

@jake29

or anyone who cares,

Can you please, post that /proc/config.gz for me? I'd like to check some options (clear some doubts), but unfortunately don't have FD on my machine.

Thank you in advance.

jake29

#494 Post by jake29 »

@anikin - 4.4.35 Kernel config attached.

@anyone - I'm trying to enable the AMDGPU driver, but it's not working. Xorg log attached. My Graphics Card (Radeon 7770 - Southern Island) is supported but requires some changes.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/AMDGPU#Enable_Southern_Islands_.28SI.29_and_Sea_Islands_.28CIK.29_support
When building or compiling a kernel, CONFIG_DRM_AMDGPU_SI=Y and/or CONFIG_DRM_AMDGPU_CIK=Y should be be set in the config.
The latter is included in Kernel config.

Also, with the rise of Vulkan - can we see support for vulkan-intel / vulkan-radeon / amdgpu-pro-vulkan in a future version of Fatdog64?
Attachments
running.config.gz
Remove gz extension to view.
(152.19 KiB) Downloaded 114 times
Xorg.9.log.gz
Remove gz extension to view.
(4.58 KiB) Downloaded 88 times

eowens2

#495 Post by eowens2 »

Smokey01 said
There should be a startup script in /etc/xdg/Startup called WpaGui. This starts the wpa_gui each time you boot Fatdog64-710
The startup script in my /etc/xdg/Startup was as you describe, but for some reason a WpaGui icon did not appear on the tray. I obviously must have clobberd something somewhere!

Anyhow I’ve spent as much time as I can spare looking for it, so I backed up Documents, Downloads etc and re-installed Fatdog64_710. Got my WpaGui icon back!

Thanks for helping me look for it!

L18L

gpu

#496 Post by L18L »

jake29 wrote:@anyone - I'm trying to enable the AMDGPU driver, but it's not working. Xorg log attached. My Graphics Card (Radeon 7770 - Southern Island) is supported but requires some changes.
You might try boot with kernel option

drm_kms_helper.edid_firmware=edid/1929x1080.bin
or 1280x1024
or 1024x768

Hope this helper will also help you :wink:

jake29

Re: gpu

#497 Post by jake29 »

L18L wrote:
jake29 wrote:@anyone - I'm trying to enable the AMDGPU driver, but it's not working. Xorg log attached. My Graphics Card (Radeon 7770 - Southern Island) is supported but requires some changes.
You might try boot with kernel option

drm_kms_helper.edid_firmware=edid/1929x1080.bin
or 1280x1024
or 1024x768
Thanks for the suggestion, but still not working.

I've become less concerned about this since doing more reading on the topic. The open-source driver combined with newer versions of Mesa now appears just as capable, and is in some cases superior.

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=amdgpu-new-1710&num=1

I've tried to compile Mesa 17.1.3 myself, however it's also meant needing to compile dependencies.

L18L

Translation tool

#498 Post by L18L »

About language

Fatdog has already several translations to en_GB
(English as it is spoken in Great Britain)
see: /usr/share/locale/en_GB/LC_MESSAGES.

Thus it was time to use our translation tool for English, too.

Note, it is never necessary to translate each msg in en
only the ones which differ from the msg in the sources
and
it is never necessary to translate each msg in en_GB
only the ones which differ from en translation.

Another note, default GNU tools create po files for English
with "translations" 100% identic to original msg.
MoManager does not have this behaviour.
Saves just the necessary minimum
that is when translation is different from original.

As the screeny suggest, developers now can use MoManager
to create the pot file, check all messages by ID,
search for terms, test a pseudo translation...

EDIT

New momanager should be available via gslapt 24 hours later
Attachments
to_English_GB.png
default garbage stripped

PACKAGE replaced by package name
(47.93 KiB) Downloaded 1094 times
match_TEXTDOMAIN.png
narrowed layout
(46.88 KiB) Downloaded 1101 times
Last edited by L18L on Wed 28 Jun 2017, 18:14, edited 1 time in total.

L18L

video

#499 Post by L18L »

attached:

fatdog-xorgwizard.sh

i18n'ed
tested in X and terminal

/etc/X11/app-defaults/Xmessage needs an entry of

*international: true
Without this non-ASCII is garbage.
Attachments
fatdog-xorgwizard.sh.gz
clock to gunzip
move to /usr/sbin
(3.99 KiB) Downloaded 120 times

jake29

Mesa 17.2

#500 Post by jake29 »

As I mention in a previous post above, video hardware acceleration support in Linux has been improving at an increasing pace in recent months. Mesa 17.2 is expected to release mid-August 2017.
Mesa 17.2 is coming in as one of the largest updates ever to Mesa 3D, at least in terms of code delta.
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=n ... -Code-Size

In tests, Linux Kernel 4.12 is being used however I cannot establish if it's a requirement to see the benefits of this new version of Mesa.

If there is a planned new build of Fatdog64, I would like to see this area updated. Currently compiling new versions of Mesa appears to require quite a number of other packages be upgraded first.