X-Slacko Slim 4.4r49 (unique, stable, and flexible)

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
rcrsn51

#521 Post by rcrsn51 »

@Pelo: Unfortunately, building a kernel has become a do-it-yourself procedure. So people want to churn out their own versions without considering how to provide extra drivers that are not included.

A better strategy for the community would be to build a small collection of reliable kernels that people can easily drop in using instructions like here.

mistfire

Re: Slim pup

#522 Post by mistfire »

Volhout wrote:Mistfire,

Please continue your effort for slim x slacko. To be honest this puppy is the closest to puppy from earlier times. And small in size.
From your releases i understand you are not trying to create a new puppy, but are sharing whatever you are building for your personal needs. And that is great.
In fact it is one of the most vivid and inspiring developments on the forum.
Just look at the popularity of Barrys Easy linux. Hardly any activity. That was completely different in the Wary and Racy times.

Succes mistfire....keepp the good work.
Thank you. Actually I want it to make SFS even more smaller. Im still searching an more lightweight browser but still complies SSL, HTML5, and AJAX. Also I'm still searching for a smaller media player and a smaller initrd.

Sage

#523 Post by Sage »

Volhout is right and so are you, misty - small and smaller is definitely on the right track. And so is rcrsn right. We cannot bug you to follow our personal prejudices and preferences, although suggestions might help you from time to time. The wider the utilisation the better, of course. Chasing a better, smaller browser is going to be a considerable challenge. Some developers have chosen to select a text browser or semi-text browser (Dillo) so that users can post-install a full-size one of their choice. However, that ends up with a larger overall package unless the preferred browser is reloaded every boot-up. Perhaps one solution would be an embedded command to install the preferred browser from the InterWeb at start-up without carrying the overhead in the .iso it would otherwise incur?

johnywhy

Re: Slim pup

#524 Post by johnywhy »

mistfire wrote:Im still searching an more lightweight browser but still complies SSL, HTML5, and AJAX.
hi mistfire

the browser benchmarks listed here might interest you.
Xombrero beat Chrome and Midori on some measures!
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... f45ffeb2d9

cheers
[b]Now[/b]: X-Tahr 2.0! StretchDog! DevuanDog!
[b]Tops[/b]: TarhNOP Vlina-R2 Racy
[b]Used[/b]: Puppeee Precise Lucid Wary Tahrpup Quirky Slacko MacPup Saluki Puppy Studio LxPupTarh Lina-Lite Lina
[i]i ♥ Puppy[/i]

Sage

#525 Post by Sage »

Not Xombie, apparently - follow this thread;
https://forums.theregister.co.uk/forum/ ... #c_2763548
Yes, I used Arachne in DOS5, too...

Marv

#526 Post by Marv »

r43 updated to r44 on the core 2 duo laptop. No issues noted other than that I continue to carry the Intel ipw2200 and iwlwifi firmware in my savefile or add it into the resquashed main SFS.

A humble suggestion (I did it to force and test a true upgrade). You could clear it with rg66 but since your work is clearly labled as X-slacko Slim I don't think he'd object or that it would be confusing. I changed the distro version and drv names to 4.2.44 in DISTRO_SPECS in the initrd.gz and in /etc. That way a true update is made on the savefile when the version is updated.

I continue to run slimjet as my main browser, now using OscarTalks 13.0.8.0-tahr SFS. I like the look and feel and It hasn't failed on any of my sites to date. The extra libs needed in X-Slim are in a post of mine in this thread earlier.

video-info-glx 1.5.1 Thu 30 Mar 2017 on X-Slacko Slim 4.2.44 Linux 4.10.2-lxpup-32-pae i686
2.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 07)

X Server: Xorg Driver: intel
X.Org version: 1.14.3
dimensions: 1280x800 pixels (338x211 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes

direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: SGI
server glx version string: 1.4
OpenGL vendor string: Intel Open Source Technology Center
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Mobile Intel® GM45 Express Chipset x86/MMX/SSE2
OpenGL version string: 2.1 Mesa 9.1.7

Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU P8600 @ 2.40GHz
Core 0: @800 1: @800 MHz

Cheers,
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

Pelo

building a kernel has become a do-it-yourself procedure

#527 Post by Pelo »

rcrsn51 wrote:@Pelo: Unfortunately, building a kernel has become a do-it-yourself procedure. So people want to churn out their own versions without considering how to provide extra drivers that are not included.

A better strategy for the community would be to build a small collection of reliable kernels that people can easily drop in using instructions like here.

The Puppy buider should provide its Puppy with appropriate driver for the kernel IMO. I regret that in the forum Puppy Linux is considered an OS for english and linux experts. Our Puppies are downloaded all around the world, by thousands. Don't ask people to compile anything. I cannot compile myself, and i am not te only one.
What we need is a lot of rcrsn51. First the puppy developers should think about to compile, before users. If our Puppy-builder unable to compile drivers, how could they ask to their passengers to do it ?
The challenge is to allow laptops really be laptops, with Puppy Linux running outside your home.
Attachments
pet.jpeg
Wireless, happiness.
(40.29 KiB) Downloaded 216 times
Last edited by Pelo on Wed 14 Jun 2017, 06:00, edited 3 times in total.

mistfire

#528 Post by mistfire »

@Volhout I will continue the X-Slacko Slim project as long I'm still online or I'm not busy on my work on everyday life. I'm just only a hobbyist I'm just doing this as a past time.

In case I cannot longer online. You and the community can continue or fork this project. I kept all my script changes and the modified files in a tarball (The download link was on the beginning of this thread). Also it has script on it if you want to create your own X-Slacko Slim from the pristine X-Slacko.

mistfire

#529 Post by mistfire »

New X-Slacko Slim iteration released

Changes:
*Small tweaks only

Download: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2FRk ... XRMcFAydGs
MD5 Checksum: 06a0933755d3f400ce06d829d5e36903

deltacat

#530 Post by deltacat »

Hi

I'm a relatively new user of Puppy and have been trying several puplets on a couple of netbooks I own. I'm really more of a user rather than a programmer.

I'm running the latest X-slacko slim on my Acer Aspire one used to type this and it's running really nicely. One thing I like is the way it goes into suspend mode when I close the lid, which other puppy distros don't do.

The only slight issue I had was when I installed it frugally to my hard drive, it didn't give me the usual option to encrypt the system with a password. Is this by design or is something missing?

sheldonisaac

#531 Post by sheldonisaac »

deltacat (in part) wrote:I'm really more of a user rather than a programmer.
Same for me!
I'm running the latest X-slacko slim on my Acer Aspire one used to type this and it's running really nicely. One thing I like is the way it goes into suspend mode when I close the lid, which other puppy distros don't do.
I too have an Acer Aspire One, rarely used. I'll charge it up and try a couple of Puppys. Will check on the lid suspend.
Dell E6410: BusterPup, BionicPup64, Xenial, etc
Intel DQ35JOE, Dell Vostro 430
Dell Inspiron, Acer Aspire One, EeePC 1018P

Pelo

my second hand computer is an ACER Aspire 1640.

#532 Post by Pelo »

sheldonisaac , my second hand computer is an ACER Aspire 1640. I dont'remember having tried X-Slacko Slim on it.
One of the best for it is Saluki, another XFCE Puppy.One of the Must in Puppy family. Applications are a lot.
When a Puppy installed successfully, the next step is to try applications in the menu provided by the Puppy-builder.
Underdog : hum... it looks like SFS on the fly, when you load a full puppy. It works well if your RAM is enough.. I was quite condamned to death doing that. Perhaps Underdog would be accepted as legal by my french team, but i doubt about it.
xvkbd-3.7-i686_s630.pet : virtual keyboard .. i don't need it, but a tester has to test each day. Feed back coming soon.
Feed Back : it works as it should. I think that Médor will add Magyar and Polish soon. Many Puppies are born in Hungaria and many programs are created by SFR, from Poland, well known of Linux devs, in our forum.
Ce serait très pertinent. It would be an accurate decision :!:
Attachments
frenchie.jpg
eh ! works perfect, si vous voulez nous écrire en français !
(61.09 KiB) Downloaded 839 times

mikeslr

Thanks mistfire -- and some comments

#533 Post by mikeslr »

Hi mistfire and all,

I've just begun exploring the most recent iteration of mistfire's X-Slacko Slim. I’m posting from it now. Love that it's Xfce. It's very responsive and, for the most part, I've been able to use those applications I always do. For example, rather than install Wine, I use portable-wine which will register several menu items the most important of which is Wine Windows program Loader on the System Menu. That menu entry provides easy access to any program installed under Wine. I just had to change the category argument of the builtin wine entry to something not recognized so that its menu entry wouldn't display, (I confuse easily) and remove its launcher from the Panel. [Under Xfce, wine-portable appears as a folder on /mnt/home. To register it, you merely enter the folder and click the "Register" script].

The above reminds me to suggest that the category argument for Control Panel in /usr/share/applications be edited to "system". Control Panel is the application from which customizations and a lot of other goodies are initiated. Currently, it doesn't appear on the menu [maybe I missed it]. Those new to Xfce might not realize it exists.

One problem I overcame was that X-Slacko Slim did not include the firmware needed for my wifi. I guessed that this Puppy was based on Slacko 5.7 so flinched the necessary firmware from it. IIRC, firmware is kernel specific. You might mention somewhere at the beginning of this thread X-Slacko’s relationship to Slacko 5.7.

Last comment is for those not intimately familiar with Xfce. I run Puppies with AutoSave removed. In order to do so I need to be able to move for stuff which by default would be located in /root to somewhere on /mnt/home and symlink it back. Otherwise changes to things in /root –such as settings and web-browser bookmarks-- would be lost if a Save wasn’t performed; while a Save writes whatever is in RAM (except AFAIK files in /tmp) to Storage –including all mistakes and junk inadvertently and unknowingly picked up while surfing. Creating symlinks using Rox is simple: Drag, Drop, Select Link(relative)/(absolute). But X-Slacko Slim uses Thunar rather than Rox. It took me a while to figure out how to create symlinks. So I’ll pass it along. Open two Thunar Windows and while holding down both the Shift and Ctrl keys, drag, and drop between them.

All told, a very nice Puppy. Thanks, mistfire

mikesLr

rufwoof

#534 Post by rufwoof »

For reference Thunars Drag-drop with Ctrl-Shift for a symlink is the same for pcmanfm as well.

mistfire

Re: Thanks mistfire -- and some comments

#535 Post by mistfire »

mikeslr wrote:Hi mistfire and all,

I've just begun exploring the most recent iteration of mistfire's X-Slacko Slim. I’m posting from it now. Love that it's Xfce. It's very responsive and, for the most part, I've been able to use those applications I always do. For example, rather than install Wine, I use portable-wine which will register several menu items the most important of which is Wine Windows program Loader on the System Menu. That menu entry provides easy access to any program installed under Wine. I just had to change the category argument of the builtin wine entry to something not recognized so that its menu entry wouldn't display, (I confuse easily) and remove its launcher from the Panel. [Under Xfce, wine-portable appears as a folder on /mnt/home. To register it, you merely enter the folder and click the "Register" script].

The above reminds me to suggest that the category argument for Control Panel in /usr/share/applications be edited to "system". Control Panel is the application from which customizations and a lot of other goodies are initiated. Currently, it doesn't appear on the menu [maybe I missed it]. Those new to Xfce might not realize it exists.

One problem I overcame was that X-Slacko Slim did not include the firmware needed for my wifi. I guessed that this Puppy was based on Slacko 5.7 so flinched the necessary firmware from it. IIRC, firmware is kernel specific. You might mention somewhere at the beginning of this thread X-Slacko’s relationship to Slacko 5.7.

Last comment is for those not intimately familiar with Xfce. I run Puppies with AutoSave removed. In order to do so I need to be able to move for stuff which by default would be located in /root to somewhere on /mnt/home and symlink it back. Otherwise changes to things in /root –such as settings and web-browser bookmarks-- would be lost if a Save wasn’t performed; while a Save writes whatever is in RAM (except AFAIK files in /tmp) to Storage –including all mistakes and junk inadvertently and unknowingly picked up while surfing. Creating symlinks using Rox is simple: Drag, Drop, Select Link(relative)/(absolute). But X-Slacko Slim uses Thunar rather than Rox. It took me a while to figure out how to create symlinks. So I’ll pass it along. Open two Thunar Windows and while holding down both the Shift and Ctrl keys, drag, and drop between them.

All told, a very nice Puppy. Thanks, mistfire

mikesLr
May I know what the name and model of your wifi?

You can use the FDRV file of lxpupsc or other puplets if you want to get more driver or hardware support as long they are 32-bit puplets

X-Slacko Slim is based from slacko 6.x but later iterations is now using the lxpup kernel.

foxpup

no wifi pn lenovo ideapad 510

#536 Post by foxpup »

May I know what the name and model of your wifi?
Just picking up on this :-)
My ideapad 510 needs this:
Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165 (starting from firmware XX.XX.13.0 and kernel 4.1) 4.2 iwlwifi-7265-ucode-25.30.14.0.tgz
from
http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ ... 05511.html

mikeslr

#537 Post by mikeslr »

Hi mistfire,

My wifi adapter is an Edimax EW-7128g which uses Ralink corp. RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI. The Edimax EW-7128g is a card installed to a pci slot. [As its worked with every Puppy I threw it at, I also have a its equivalent dongle to use with laptops if the lack a builtin wifi adapter, or it doesn’t work.} As you suggested, acquiring the fdrv.sfs from lxpupsc –and renaming it to fdrv_xslacko_4.2.sfs-- also worked.

To employ the fdrv.sfs, I moved the SaveFile previously created so that it wouldn’t be copied on bootup, to explore wireless running on what would then be a pristine system. Before trying to setup wireless, I used one of the applications on the System submenu –don’t remember its name, not running X-Slacko just now-- which provides system information. The system recognized that wifi was being offered via pci requiring the RT61 driver. Both Simple Network Setup and frisbee recognized my network to be available. However, frisbee wouldn’t accept input of my wifi’s password, and SNS failed to connect over several retries.

So I shut X-slacko 4.2 down, and copied the fdrv.sfs into its folder. After bootup, frisbee still wouldn’t accept the password, but SNS enabled connection on the first try.

I’m not sure why copying the firmware from Slacko 5.7 worked since, as I said AFAIK, firmware has to be compiled against the correct kernel, and Slacko 5.7 employs a different kernel than X-Slacko_4.2. Indeed, the more I think about the situation, the more confused I become about why wifi didn’t work OOTB or how using the wrong version of the driver solved that problem.

Perhaps there’s a significant advantage to Slackware’s policy of cautious upgrades.

mikesLr

rcrsn51

#538 Post by rcrsn51 »

mikeslr wrote:AFAIK, firmware has to be compiled against the correct kernel
No. The driver must be compiled against a specific kernel. The firmware is a blob of binary code that the driver uploads into the adapter. It doesn't change.

Sage

#539 Post by Sage »

Is this the end-of-the-line, misty? Do you have what you wanted from the project or will you continue fiddling, updating, etc?

mistfire

#540 Post by mistfire »

@Sage
nope, I will release a new iteration pretty soon.