No mouse on virtual console

What works, and doesn't, for you. Be specific, and please include Puppy version.
navegante

No mouse on virtual console

#1 Post by navegante »

Tahrpup 6.0.6 32 bit, eeepc1000h, 2gb ram, full install on ext2 partition and frugal install on ext3 partition.
Touchpad and USB mouse works on xterminal but not with the virtual console.
gpm package and libgpm are present and installed in Pupi Package manager.
At least the usb-mouse should work.

Working outside X and having a mouse for some cli launched programs has sense for me. The idea is to have inside the root directory a directory with more sub-directories in which links to executables are stored. Programs which require X would have a script to be launched. Using Midnight Commander it has to work like a menu. For me the absence of the mouse is not a problem but there is a next-generation-user whose curiosity for Linux I want to wake up and show that there often is another solution than buying more, newer and bigger. It´s about learning, it´s about fun. There is no really need for this notebook to have such a minimal system until now, maybe in the future it will be nedded. Puppi does it fine.

tallboy

#2 Post by tallboy »

On a regular keyboard you can use Shift-NumLock to activate the Mouse-keys. I may misunderstand your advanced concept (old and slow-moving brain cell :roll: ), but is that a possible solution for a virtual console?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mouse_keys

Edit: Braincell activated: Managed to read the wiki article I linked to; Mouse-keys are part of X, you don't use X. Bummer! Sorry...

tallboy
True freedom is a live Puppy on a multisession CD/DVD.