udev hardware activation order confuses FatDog (some times:)

Please post any bugs you have found
FanDog

udev hardware activation order confuses FatDog (some times:)

#1 Post by FanDog »

Hi, discovered FatDog recently and love it! Simply works (mostly, read on :))

I have 2 graphics cards, 1 is an onboard nvidia.. if I enable it in the BIOS, it glitches the screen at boot time. This happens mostly after a cold boot, as if the card takes longer to register in udev and the PCIe gets there first.

When I have both enabled, I can only boot into the nvidia one (and hope it doesn't glitch), the other one blanks if I try. Worse, I have to blacklist radeon to be able to boot at all. The card works flawlessly if I disable the onboard one.

All distros seem to have trouble with this setup (so don't feel so bad, lol.. although, windows xP can do it =/)

A related problem is with the sound cards, also multiple cards (onboard, hdmi, usb headphone..). This one here is more easily fixable (I believe), cause, although other distros also have this symptom, it's just a matter of setting the default card *by name* on the alsa config file. In FatDog I have to go to the control panel etc.. It would be nice to save the volume from session to session too, if possible?

Now, the worst experience I had with this latest version of FatDog was the repo sources in slapt which, I didn't even consider could be the problem but, it was pointing to the 700 version and this cause quite a bit of frustration/headaches until I figured it out. Can't quite remember what was the package exactly, I think some of Firefox deps, the gtk version conflict I'm pretty sure..

Speaking of packages, I take this opportunity to ask something. I've been having problems compiling a git source but, I'm almost there (with your timely help, I won't have to migrate to Ubuntu (*beark*) . Problem is, it uses some stuff from Ubuntu.. I've been able to fix some, like "build-essential", all I needed (to this moment, but if not, then g++ and make should do it, I installed the gcc34 compact for now, and symlinked from /usr/bin since it wasn't there after install).. now I'm stuck at cffi it seems, although FatDog has libffi, it seems to be missing the include files. (the compilation command for Ubuntu does mention libffi-DEV though)..

a couple others it may need after this one are libssl-dev, python-dev and rng-tools (though the 1st ones may already be satisfied, can't tell 'cause the compilation halted on cffi)

Can't find the stuff in any slack repo.. =/ (also, linuxpackages.net seem down for good now?!)

Anyway, thanks for any help on this and, of course, for this great distro! \o/

SFR

#2 Post by SFR »

Hey FanDog, welcome to the Forums!
although FatDog has libffi, it seems to be missing the include files.
All DEV stuff (include files, GCC, Python, Perl, etc.) is bundled in fd64-devx_710.sfs, which can be easily downloaded via Control Panel -> System -> SFS Manager.

Btw, here's Fatdog64-710 thread in "Puppy Projects" section: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=109067.
You'll have greater chances for a response if you post Fatdog related issues right there.

Greetings!
[color=red][size=75][O]bdurate [R]ules [D]estroy [E]nthusiastic [R]ebels => [C]reative [H]umans [A]lways [O]pen [S]ource[/size][/color]
[b][color=green]Omnia mea mecum porto.[/color][/b]

FanDog

#3 Post by FanDog »

> Hey FanDog, welcome to the Forums!

thanks!

> is bundled in fd64-devx_710.sfs

yep! that solved all the issues on that process.

> greater chances for a response if you post

thanks! will do : )

Cheers

Edit: fixed the problem by installing another version of the package