Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

READ-ONLY-MODE: PLEASE DO NOT POST NEW STUFF!
  New Forum: http://forum.puppylinux.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups    
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 13 Aug 2020, 22:21
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Using a webcam in Racy 5.5... (SOLVED)
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic
Page 1 of 2 [22 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Sun 21 May 2017, 16:20    Post subject:  Using a webcam in Racy 5.5... (SOLVED)
Subject description: Has anybody managed to get this working?

Evening, all.

Just a query, really. I'm wondering whether anybody has managed to get either guvcview or luvcview functional in Racy 5.5. Obviously, the databases are static by now; guvcview (which is in the PPM) says 'package doesn't exist', and the Lucid luvcview package (which installs) crashes on startup, with a pop-up saying there was a problem.....but it doesn't say what.

If anyone has succeeded.....care to share? I have found a Slacko guvcview package ( by rcrsn51) in the 531 'bugs' thread, but doubt this will work without a lot of 'lib-chasing'.

Before anybody says 'Use a newer Pup', I've got plenty of 'em ( and the above-named packages work fine in all of them). I just fancy getting it to work in Racy.....purely for the hell of it!

I'm a masochist. So sue me..!! Laughing

Mike. Wink

Last edited by Mike Walsh on Sun 21 May 2017, 21:24; edited 1 time in total
mostly_lurking

PostPosted: Sun 21 May 2017, 16:59    Post subject:  

There is a guvcview package in the Wary repository:
http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pet_packages-wary5/guvcview-1.5.0-w5c.pet
Maybe that one works with Racy?
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Sun 21 May 2017, 20:47    Post subject:  

Hi, m_l.

Yah; that looks like the exact same package in the Racy PPM. Even after updating the databases, Racy still tells me the package is no longer available.....so the install is being aborted.

(*shrugs*)

Thanks for mentioning it, though!

EDIT: I had a thought, and tried all the mirrors. No dice; the guvcview package has been removed from every single one of them. Ah, well; 'twas worth a shot......

I might just have to give this one up as a bad job.

Mike. Wink

Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Sun 21 May 2017, 21:14    Post subject:  

Well, I have good news to report (not quite sure how, though...and I rather suspect that my 'solution' will NOT help anybody else.)

I was attempting to get the Precise guvcview-1.5.3.pet package working in Racy, by performing an extended 'lib hunt.' I figured that since it worked in 571, all the required libs must be present. So, after about a million (seemed like it!) re-boots and lib transfers, I thought I was about there. And then I came up against a solid brick wall. A 'symbol lookup error', for which there was no workaround.....

BUT; After all that, the Lucid-luvcview L1-0.2.6-1 package from the PPM is now behaving itself..! Must have needed a few of the libs I transferred from 571 for guvcview. Anyway.....

Since all is now well, I'm going to mark this as 'Solved'. Very Happy

Mike. Wink

mikeslr

PostPosted: Sun 21 May 2017, 21:28    Post subject:  

Solved. Well, then, you won't need this this link to a guvcview-1.5.0-w5c.pet, http://ia601003.us.archive.org/27/items/Puppy_Linux_Racy/.

I have no recollection of having found and bookmarked the site. And I wasn't looking for it. I was looking for my bookmarked link to the Saluki repo on smokey, figuring that as Saluki was a remaster of Racy, a guvcview pet might be found which might only need a couple of libs. Stumbled upon the bookmark and wondered what was there.

When you know that you have a spotty memory, forethought and organization can be really helpful.

mikesLr

p.s. Wondering what else was there, I backspaced thru the bookmarked URL and on reaching the opening portal page, discovered I was in Ally's Archive.org Laughing So much for my organization skills. Embarassed
Billtoo

PostPosted: Mon 22 May 2017, 00:06    Post subject: Using a webcam in Racy 5.5... (SOLVED)  

Hi Mike,

I found 2 guvcview pets that work in Racy 5.5,guvcview_wary-1.5.0.pet and guvcview_wary_DEP-1.5.0.pet

I'll try to get them to you if you'd like.

But I see that you already have some that work.
guvcview.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   69.08 KB
 Viewed   301 Time(s)

guvcview.jpg

watchdog

PostPosted: Mon 22 May 2017, 00:35    Post subject:  

Once upon a time in this forum someone posted a closed source program for webcam (It was time of puppy4). It is videoview. It is working in modern puppies, too. When you are out of luck it is a last resource which works. I have it in a folder in /mnt/home.

videoview-bin-20070720.tar:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9iMb4UZBeFkRzEyTFFEcjFiY1E/view?usp=sharing
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Mon 22 May 2017, 06:05    Post subject:  

@Mikeslr, billtoo & watchdog:-

Hi, guys. Many thanks for the responses; it's very much appreciated.

I must be daft.....but Racy seems to be working better with my hardware than some of the newer Pups. It's nothing to do with not having sufficient 'grunt' for the tasks requested of her.....more due, simply, to the age of the hardware (which is between 12-13 yrs old). Go figure.

---------------------------------------

@mikeslr:-

Thanks for that link, Mike. I've been scouring all the archives & locations that I know about, but couldn't find anything for Racy. That appears to be the same one as in the Racy PPM, but that one is no longer accessible. I'll give your link a try, since a .pet of what's in the PPM is really what I've been trying to find..!

I don't know what we'd all do without Ally, I really don't. I just hope his health holds up for a long while to come...

@billtoo:-

If you've got a couple of .pets for this that'll work with Racy, I would very much appreciate them (if that's not too much trouble!) 'The more the merrier', as far as I'm concerned.

Send me the links by PM, if you like.....or post 'em here. Don't mind which. Thanks!

@watchdog:-

Grazias, mi amigo. That link is very much appreciated. If it works with these older Puppies, that's great. I'll give it a whirl, and let you know how I get on with it.

Cheers.

I guess my Puppy 'journey' is starting to get well under way, now. I started off with the newest, when I properly began full-time with Pup; Tahrpup, back in Nov 2014. As the months & years have passed, I've been slowly digging down through the 'archaeological layers' of the Puppy eco-system.....and many of the older Pups are real gems.

I've never had so much fun!

I'll try out all of these which y'all have so kindly 'donated', and I'll report back.

Cheers, everybody.

Mike. Wink

Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Mon 22 May 2017, 07:32    Post subject:  

Well; I've given Mike's link a try (the guvcview-1.5.0-w5c.pet from Ally's Racy archive). Needless to say, it fired up straight away..! So, thanks for the link, Mike....and thanks also for the offer, Billtoo. It was still appreciated.

I prefer guvcview to luvcview; the former always seems a lot more 'stable' than the latter.

I'm keeping watchdog's Videoview in my own archives.....just in case. My compiling skills are abysmal, but.....you never know when stuff might come in handy.

Cheers again, everyone.

Mike. Wink

ally

PostPosted: Mon 22 May 2017, 07:48    Post subject:  

@mike, I have mirrored saluki pets here: http://archive.org/details/Puppy_Linux_Saluki_Pets

this is wrongly indexed so doesn't show correctly, will get that fixed

Smile
mostly_lurking

PostPosted: Mon 22 May 2017, 09:15    Post subject:  

Mike Walsh wrote:
Well; I've given Mike's link a try (the guvcview-1.5.0-w5c.pet from Ally's Racy archive). Needless to say, it fired up straight away..!

Strange that you could install it from mikeslr's link but not from mine, because it's the exact same package. (I downloaded both and compared their md5 sums. So your assumption that Racy was supposed to use the same package as Wary was correct.) Maybe ibiblio was being weird for a moment there... I was able to download and install it on Wary 5.1.2 when I posted the link. I didn't go through the package manager GUI, which did indeed not list guvcview; I downloaded it directly from the website through my browser. (And today, I tried the same on Racy 5.5 in a virtual machine, thinking that maybe it has some odd quirk there, but I got the same results as on Wary. The mystery remains unsolved...)

At least you got it working now. Cool

@ ally: thank you so much for maintaining those archives - they are especially helpful for us users of older Puppy versions. Smile
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Mon 22 May 2017, 12:21    Post subject:  

Hi again, m_l.

No, there was no mystery, really. I was half asleep when I posted my reply to you the first time, and didn't cotton on the fact that you had actually given me a link.

To make certain, I d/l'd the one from your link. I uninstalled the one from Mike's link, plus the hidden config/settings file in /root, and powered down. To make absolutely certain, I unplugged and held the power button for 30 secs or so, so as to empty the capacitors.....no residual power hanging onto anything.

I then booted back into Racy, and installed your version. Again, it fired up straight away.....and, as you say, the MD5 sums are identical. So it must be the same package.....

TBH, I couldn't care where it comes from; it's installed, and working perfectly, that's the main thing. But we DO all owe Ally a HUGE vote of thanks for archiving all of this wonderful Puppy material.

Mike. Wink

watchdog

PostPosted: Mon 22 May 2017, 12:57    Post subject:  

Mike Walsh wrote:

I'm keeping watchdog's Videoview in my own archives.....just in case. My compiling skills are abysmal, but.....you never know when stuff might come in handy.

No need to compile: untar the archive and just click on the videoview binary.
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Mon 22 May 2017, 14:43    Post subject:  

Ah! Thanks for the info, watchdog.

I'll put a note in the folder with it to remind myself. Cheers.

Mike. Wink

Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Tue 23 May 2017, 18:00    Post subject:  

@watchdog:-

Just given VideoView a whirl in X-Slacko 2.3.2. This Pup often gives me problems where other Pups just don't, for some reason. I've had to add tons of libs to get various things working; I suspect rg66 really stripped this down even further than Micko did when he put 570 together (which 2.3.2 is based on).

VideoView works perfectly. I'm quite surprised..! After accepting the license, and setting things up in the config panel, the 'Preview' comes straight up. Nice one!

I've made a short recording, which plays back in SMPlayer. I've tried the 'Snapshot' feature, too.....but it results in a .ppm (!!) file.

How d'you view this? None of the standard viewers want to know.....or are there options in VideoView for different snapshot outputs?

Mike. Wink

Page 1 of 2 [22 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Jump to: