~572, p575, and p57577: three spins/updates of Precise 5.7.1

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Puppus Dogfellow

documentation almost seems like it's coming together...

#201 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

Geany as Launcher, Bookmarks Manager, and Word Processor
open programs, files, folders and web sites; reshape and resize windows; process words

(Cauliflower MacHue/the VTG (virtual Terminal Geany)/The Geany Start Center/vgt is a major feature of these spins. at some point i hope to have some condensed and useful info from that thread here).

post is long enough but in short, the main feature of the upgrade is the ability to set run actions for your word processing files (or any other, though it was put together in part to a geany-vtg type start center). from the comments on a picture in a folder in my repo:
Quote:

another use for the mcc (make concurrent copies) function is assigning text files to pairs of programs (browser-text editor) by having the copies carry an extension that will set them apart from everything else. right click in rox to set both a run action (pick something from the duals folder, to continue on the word processing bent, though that's not strictly necessary) and icon. screen shot shows...

_________

enjoy/report bugs.

first one off hand--forget to switch winswitcher for ww or vice versa internally. ww in the leafpad launcher and switch the position of the pound sign if it doesn't work for you (as i said, woofy gave me problems and i kind of lost track of what was done where and overconfidence meant i had 6 "final releases" all named 6t4.)
that emboldened bit of gibberish was meant to say "as an alternative to a geany-vtg type start center." (any of the dual launcher codes prefacing a list of files will open them up in both a browser and editor. other than dragging and dropping files or groups of files onto the scripts or their .desktop representations, this seemed like the easiest way to process words (so to speak, so to speak) with the anuupuus (Word Processor (U..)Utilities Suite). now you get another way and some (i think) relatively nifty icons.

will have a bug fix pet to get rid of the ghost dtives on the alternate pinboards and fix up the edit store port scripts (for now, don't use--just had the edpin wig out geany...---had to actually reboot to get out of the loop actually. lost a post and everything.) :oops: :cry: :P

here are three other support threads that closely relate to these spins, or that at least speak of certain features:

Add A JWM Bookmarks Menu or Submenu/Messing Around With JWM
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=93637
(lots of jwm tweaks contained--that thread resulted in these spins pretty much)

A NWP/A NWPUS--A Nooby Word Processor and Utilities Suite
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=99736

How to open Rox Panels at startup/as toggles? [Solved]
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 656#781656

here's my repo:
pupli repo
thread:
thirty gigs of stuff...

________

and now to combine bugs with updates, as a bug, it appears i never actually included megasync...though it was in the first batch of add-ins...

here:
Puppus Dogfellow wrote:megatahr64.sfs
megatahr64.pet
megatahr64.tar.xz

versions for tahr64 contain/are made from: libc-ares2_1.7.5-1_amd64.deb, libcrypto++9_5.6.1-5build1_amd64.deb, and megasync-xUbuntu_14.04_amd64.deb.
perhaps i'm not running the most up to date 6t4...(shouldn't matter...)...

(and i guess it doesn't).

Puppus Dogfellow

fixing a bug with the auxiliary launchers or keycuts

#202 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

that emboldened bit of gibberish was meant to say "as an alternative to a geany-vtg type start center." (any of the dual launcher codes prefacing a list of files will open them up in both a browser and editor. other than dragging and dropping files or groups of files onto the scripts or their .desktop representations, this seemed like the easiest way to process words (so to speak, so to speak) with the anuupuus (Word Processor (U..)Utilities Suite). now you get another way and some (i think) relatively nifty icons.

will have a bug fix pet to get rid of the ghost drives on the alternate pinboards and fix up the edit store port scripts (for now, don't use--just had the edpin wig out geany...---had to actually reboot to get out of the loop actually. lost a post and everything.)

there's no reason to issue a pet fix for the edpin problem--just use the auxiliary launchers or built-in keycuts to fix it. method one: main launcher (shift+spacebar), gl (opens the file in geany; use ll if you want to open the file in leafpad), enter, edpin, enter.

this opens up "edpin" for editing (if the file didn't exist, it would make a blank file with that name for you to save in the location of choice--gl and ll are word processing functions at least as much as configuration and maintenance tools) and presents

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh 
geany /root/Choices/ROX-Filer/Pup* 
/nwp/edpin 

to fix it, add a pound sign to or delete the last line, making it

#!/bin/sh 
geany /root/Choices/ROX-Filer/Pup* 
#/nwp/edpin #--this was supposed to have been commented out

had i just left the /nwp/part off (comment mark would've made it the title), no real harm would've been done--it would've just made a file called "edpin" that had no set location for its contentlessness (beyond /root/edpin--root seems to be geany's default location for files made this way. the ones you create through the file > new dialog i believe get made in /tmp...). as it stood, the file as command continually reactivated itself as the last step. comment makes it back into a tile, and brings up another error, this time in documentation.

maybe i was still in shock at having to reboot (such a simple script (when done right) and geany is normally so reliable...), but i should've pointed out that the bare dual launcher codes need to be prefaced with their full path (/nwp/) because the codes aren't part of the PATH (those that are can be bare. i.e. geany -i /root/1 /etc/2 will open up those files when you activate the vtg (either through the keyboard (alt+z), the menus (vtg or the cauliflower), the tray (cauliflower)...)). so, for example, if you want geany and pale moon to open the files, use

/nwp/gp /path/to/file /path(s)/to/file(s) 
method one: main launcher (shift+spacebar), gl (opens the file in geany; use ll if you want to open the file in leafpad), enter, edpin, enter.
modifier(s)=Alt KEY=h -- /nwp/k
modifier(s)=Alt KEY=j -- /nwp/rl
modifier(s)=Alt KEY=k -- /nwp/gl
modifier(s)=Alt KEY=l -- /nwp/ll

default shortcuts for most recent spins/nwps use the above, so method two is alt+k (or l, if if you want the file opened in leafpad), add the pound sign, save. that will fix the script so that "edpin" in the launcher opens up the six new pins. (index finger gets k for key launcher because i at one time believed it would see more use, or, if used at all, would be used somewhat heavily). if you want driveless pins, or more control over their placement than normally holds in Puppy, look for the bit that has "args" in it. those are your drive icons (i.e. <icon x="32" y="836" label="sda1" args="drive ext4">/root/.pup_event/drive_sda1</icon>)

delete the lot for driveless, copy your extant set over from PuppyPin (no extra number) to have it on each of the alternate pins. since they are now frozen with the text file, they'll remain in (odd, if you so choose) position(s) even after the auto redrawing of icons that occurs at boot and X restarts.

if you want to automount all your drives, you could drag musher0's monter5 script out of quar in Startup. since alt plus spacebar is root, one of the first things i do on a new install is activate that shortcut, then navigate to Startup and my-applications/bin and make those (by use of ctrl plus number) rox speed dials 2 and 3. if you want to automount at a click and your discretion, leave monter5 in /quar (alt+t spacebar then 2 to get to its parent folder if you followed the quick links howto above).

rox is cool. :D

(rl, the last launcher in that bank, is rox opened at /nwp/--the short names of the mostly blank directories are to provide quick cover for you and your creations--d plus enter in that one gets you a blank directory, nwp's version of My Documents, my-documents (though there's also a "docs"), etc).

have fun with it.
:D

Puppus Dogfellow

a bit more on the pinboards

#203 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

delete the lot for driveless, copy your extant set over from PuppyPin (no extra number) to have it on each of the alternate pins. since they are now frozen with the text file, they'll remain in (odd, if you so choose) position(s) even after the auto redrawing of icons that occurs at boot and X restarts.
it would actually be easier to get an arrangement you like by dragging them around the desktop, then running (the fixed) edpin and copying the array over. whenever you activate that particular pinboard (provisions for up to 30 but the launch code shortcuts (and menus) only go to pp6), the arrangement you made is what will be there. running the make 6 from the menu (on the alt+9 (root9menu file in /nwp/root3/9--originally it was the only directory that had a (nine over the original) menu set) Panels and Pins submenu will overwrite all six with your current pinboard's layout.

well, i'm pretty sure there are launcher codes to make 24 and/or 30 (both, i think) more pinboards, but i can't seem to find them at the moment.

:?

_____

from  nwp32/64.4 --set run actions and icons for your files, some
Subject description: more about the launchers and file generation, a bug fix that's a how-to for the newest one.
:

not sure if this will help clarify things, or from where you need to enter the discussion to be in need of clarification, but this update and bugfix also seems to me to be a howto and an explanation of some more of the nwp's features.

further, while it does get documents created and saved and arguably sorted and stored, and all very quickly, the formatting is best kept for pasting into more proper word processors like google docs, libreoffice, or even notecase (which can also export to html (and therefore pdf)). the print view will give you a scalable interface, but lately isn't heeding the viewport, at least not in 64 bit. haven't tested on 32 bit lately, but it doesn't seem to work as consistently (is it a browser issue?) as i remembered. for my own use, i use the nwp((as in (A NWP/A NWPUS) primarily for document creation and modification and the utilities side of things. if i need to edit more formally, i paste into libre or google. i'll make a return to the minimal versions (under 50k) in a release or two, but these last two are relatively monstrous--14mb. there may be a weight reduction pet in the future to reduce this--there's some redundant documentation and many icons that can be autogenerated if needed...)
the newer tiny noop will be in at least two versions, both smaller than the original: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 360#860360. i'm thinking at least one version should incorporate the new Quasi-Proprietary File Type feature, possibly as an offshoot of the mcc (make concurrent copies) feature.

mcc:http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 287#902287 (attachment at the end shows it being used for this purpose)
___

will try to find a focuswriter that works in tahr64 without the need for the 32 bit compatibility sfs to further make up for the removal of abiword (and to bring it in line with the other spins). here's the gif using the mcc function:
Attachments
mimetype-icon_change (1).gif
mcc function (indirectly) setting run action (not shown) and icon
(26.14 KiB) Downloaded 2042 times

Puppus Dogfellow

security, browser, and word processor updates

#204 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

i've been mirroring watchdog's ssl updates and trying them out in whatever 32bit pups i'm running at the time, just installing the main pet. most recent update is 102j.

word processor update:
LibreOffice-5.2.1_en-US_xz.sfs
LibreOffice-5.2.1_en-US_xz.pet

browsers by OscarTalks:
slimjet-11.0.6-32bit
palemoon-26.4.0.1-32bit
vivaldi-1.4.589.29

Puppus Dogfellow

6t4.0.iso

#205 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

6t4.0.iso

683284df70bd786712abcad05e793ea4 md5 for 6t4.0.iso

forgot to update palemoon, but i'm thinking of firefox for the final (installer scripts are already included for palemoon and chrome). turns out it was actually the pets from the Recoll install and not the debs that failed in the initial remaster--fixed that along with errors that prevented MochiMoppel's WinSwitcherfrom running correctly from either the ctrl+spacebar keycut or the upper tray. fixes as an update are in the nwp pets below, which are also updates for the 32 bit spins.

nwp32.6
nwp32.5
nwp64.6
nwp64.5

geany32+some3264deps.tar.xz

.5 has geany1.25 and plugins for both 127 and 125 (a few 32 bit, a few 64 bit). .6 makes that stuff a separate package (the .xz above). to more or less complete the upgrade (minus some cosmetic stuff--icons not being "6t4 spec" and whatnot), just install the recoll pets in the 117 folder. in short, 6t4.0 is what i thought i was releasing with 6t4.1. reduced size is mostly from the removal of the redundant (nwp.5) geany packages and some uneeded documentation (nwp appears to work in Slacko as of the 700 release (pretty sure it would work on 5.7 and below but i've never tested it) so i ditched some of the workarounds for the 6 series--it's still there, just not as often), plus the fact that this time around Parchive appears to have used a higher compression rate than the stock remaster utility (not sure why there was a difference and i didn't re-recompress the zdrive for comparison).

___

still in the air--haven't yet played around with focuswriter or ted, but if i include a word processor beyond the nwp/vtg combo and what notecase can do (export to html, which your browser can then save as pdf) or what google docs (haven't tried the apparently chrome/chromium-based only sync feature yet, but it's one of the reasons i'm thinking of keeping a big browser as default in the precise spins) or other online services provide, my first pick would likely be the former (i.e. if it includes ted i failed to get focuswriter working without the 32bit compatibility pack).

Puppus Dogfellow

word processor/office suite and browser updates

#206 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

LibreOffice-5.2.2_64_en-US_xz.pet

LibreOffice-5.2.2_64_en-US_xz.sfs

LibreOffice-5.2.2_en-US_xz.sfs

LibreOffice-5.2.2_en-US_xz.pet

32 bit slimjet-11.0.7 pet and sfs by OscarTalks (see Oscar's thread for details on the video problems).

_____

peebee's 64 bit chromium53 should work in the tahr spin.

Puppus Dogfellow

time for some whatnot

#207 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

ldterm6t4.pet

[...]to more or less complete the upgrade (minus some cosmetic stuff--icons not being "6t4 spec" and whatnot)[...]

#!/bin/sh
#pinstall script for ldterm.pet
cp -f /root/.Xdefaults /root/prev.Xdefaults
#adds three files to your /root directory, one of which is a backup of your previous terminal configuration file. to swap in the light terminal theme from 6t4, rename 6t4-l.Xdefaults to .Xdefaults. deleting the "6t4-d" swaps in the dark theme, deleting the "prev" from the third file restores your original configuration. use urxvt set to make additional presets (current file generated by radky's gui is stored as /root/Xdefaults--just use the renaming convention above for additional templates) or further alter (and see--the interface shows more than the screenshots) these.
#changes should be visible next time terminal (or htop in some releases) is run.
the unifying aesthetic is more or less make it how you like it, but grey on grey doesn't really convey the transparency too well, nor do the screenshots show many of the other default values, but as it says in the comments, radky's Urxvtset application will show those and allow you to easily change them. after the pet installs, you'll have three additional files in root--just copy as .Xdefaults (it'll most likely disappear from view once you do since it's now hidden) to active the setting. delete the "prev" from the third file to opt for default over the two choices below.
Attachments
6t4-d.jpg
darker text
(10.79 KiB) Downloaded 1936 times
6t4-l.jpg
lighter text
(11.47 KiB) Downloaded 1941 times

Puppus Dogfellow

devx, 32bit comp pack, dillo and focus writer for tahr spin

#208 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

takenp's focuswriter-1.5.5-i686.pet works well in 6t4.0 with the 32bit compatibility pack as the only dependency. it's huge but doesn't appear to slow down the machine any--both it and OscarTalks' dillo-3.0.5-precise.pet function and open as quickly in the 64bit spins as they do in 32bit (dillo opens in a second or so, focuswriter in under ten--i think the deps for focuswriter were taken care of by the Recoll install, so the only dep for the 3mb word processing pet is the 100meg sfs :wink: (still a bit quicker and lighter than most everything else--works with docx, odt, txt, and rtf. dillo's under a meg and built into the 32bit spins--"dil" in the launcher is a reference popup (five tabs open as quickly if not more so than a new tab in most other browsers, even if those are running and dil is launched cold))).

here's the devx for tahr64 and the 64bit spin.

after installing the 32bitcompatibility sfs, enter ldconfig in a terminal (it should give a popup to remind you, but here it is just in case).

____

the browsers for the 32 bit spins get another update thanks to OscarTalks. here's slimjet-12.0.1-32bit and palemoon-26.5.0.-32bit.

___

i'll probably end up doing a 32bit tahr spin (11t) before i get to the pux series and precise pup again. the workshop folders have had a few udates since i last linked them, and they're a bit hidden away in the vtg subdirectory in word processing and related (should arguably be in the puppy isos subdirectory since they're the contents of the spins (info) and also more or less a remaster guide, or at least notes on how the spins were put together and what was used), so here again is workingdir-xen (i got distracted sort of lost my original intent, which was to make an approximatic and howto for a xenial spin (i.e. take the mods from ~572 and the approximately spins and make them portable and a howto, take 1), so the name is more specific than it should be. original build scripts for the "live remaster" (use petget and some basic commands to install and alter things live the way woofy allows you to mess with just about any not-currently-running pup) are in the quar/qar folders. renaming the folders made them largely obsolete, but they still have some code worth copying (like the symlink and mkdir lines that get rid of the root warning in spacefm)).

Puppus Dogfellow

Scribus and Wine for all (6t4 gets newest Scribus but needs

#209 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

i couldn't get any of the scribus packages i found to work in 6t4 (and this would presumably hold true for tahr64 604/5), so i tested out ScribusPortableTest_1.5.2.paf.exe along with w1921.sfs, having recently put together that, w185.sfs, w185.pet, andw192.pet from version2013's most recent wines, 1.8.5 and 1.9.21. it appears to work well, at least in testing as limited as was done in the thread for the precise package (which thankfully isn't dependent on wine--the 30 or so megabyte file inflates and downloads, so for those not familiar with wine, it's weightier than it seems). pretty sure the 32bit lib package is necessary for wine as well, but there'd be no harm in trying it without that sfs loaded.

see here for scribus-1.4 and 1.4.4 for the precise spins and 32 bit in general: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 896#765896

Puppus Dogfellow

additional updates: firewall for the precise spins, slimjet

#210 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

here's getflash-1.6 by Geoffrey and rerwin

64 bit slimjet_12.0.6 by Mike Walsh for the tahr64 spin

firewall_ng.pet by watchdog for the precise spins (firewall upgrade should work in nearly all precise pups and derivatives since it's based on/taken from the earlier wary and later tahr).

slimjet-12.0.6-32bit by OscarTalks for the 32 bit spins (use tahr version for u6, x7, and 11t, or any 32bit newer than precise).

Puppus Dogfellow

Calibre for 6t4 and x7 (and maybe more)

#211 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

the earlier 32bit Calibre-2.5 package from the updated and condensed quicklinks didn't work for me in 6t4 despite installation of the 32bit lib pack, but the code for the most recent releases directly from https://calibre-ebook.com/download_linux did:

sudo -v && wget -nv -O- https://raw.githubusercontent.com/kovidgoyal/calibre/master/setup/linux-installer.py | sudo python -c "import sys; main=lambda:sys.stderr.write('Download failed\n'); exec(sys.stdin.read()); main()"
gives calibre 2.71 64 bit to the tahr64 spin and the 32 bit version to the newest (704) 32 bit xenialpup (roughly modded as much as the tahr64 installation, but since it's still running off the original iso, i'm not calling it a spin. that said, this should apply to tahr64/32 in general, and possibly also to the precise spin or pups of more or less that period. i plan on having the precise spin redone and released in a week or two, but right now i can't test.)

____

download code failed for me in xenial64-707

____

here's a desktop file:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByUDhE ... sp=sharing

you can grab an icon here:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing
(desktop file is set to use "calibre.png" as /usr/share/applications/icons-alt/calibre.png. run fixmenus; jwm -restart after putting the icon there and desktop file in /usr/share/applications (change the icon line of the desktop file to reflect a different path or icon choice if you like)). "calibre" (no quotes) in a terminal will also launch it.

____
dillo opens in a second or so, focuswriter in under ten[...]
been playing around a bit more with focuswriter. once run, even if closed during that pup session (i.e. you haven't rebooted or restarted X), the program will open nearly as fast as dillo. delay in swapping between focuswriter sessions (i.e. your themes and sets of documents remembered and stored) is also about a second or two.

Puppus Dogfellow

32 and 64 bit LibreOffice and java updates;

#212 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

Puppus Dogfellow

some browser updates and a dual monitor tip

#213 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

here's a 64 bit firefox for the tahr spin--it also cleans up the root 1 (left click) menu a bit:
ff50.1-6t4.pet

another browser option for 64 bit is Mike Walsh's iron55 64.

for the 32 bit spins, OscarTalks provides iron55 32 and slimjet 12.0.14, and for the precise spin specifically, there's his updated openvpn-2.3.14-precise.pet

________

the arandr utility for monitor setup gives you the option to save your settings, but you may have noticed that the default location for it isn't of much use and you have to reactivate the thing at every startup--save your settings in /root/Startup rather than the default proffered by the gui to avoid the hassle.

Puppus Dogfellow

where things are, where it's at (,or maybe just what it is)

#214 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

Puppus Dogfellow wrote:the earlier 32bit Calibre-2.5 package from the updated and condensed quicklinks didn't work for me in 6t4 despite installation of the 32bit lib pack, but the code for the most recent releases directly from https://calibre-ebook.com/download_linux did:

sudo -v && wget -nv -O- https://raw.githubusercontent.com/kovidgoyal/calibre/master/setup/linux-installer.py | sudo python -c "import sys; main=lambda:sys.stderr.write('Download failed\n'); exec(sys.stdin.read()); main()"
gives calibre 2.71 64 bit to the tahr64 spin and the 32 bit version to the newest (704) 32 bit xenialpup (roughly modded as much as the tahr64 installation, but since it's still running off the original iso, i'm not calling it a spin. that said, this should apply to tahr64/32 in general, and possibly also to the precise spin or pups of more or less that period. i plan on having the precise spin redone and released in a week or two, but right now i can't test.)

[...]

didn't work out that way, but i have updated the workshop (workingdir-xen). from notes-12/28/16-1/1/17:
nwp8 (32 and 64 bit--ns is new syntax (32 bit pups after slacko 5.7)) cleans up the root one menu, fixes some permissions problems, adds a few scripts (33/66 (bounce the mouse cursor out and down (default positions for popups (etc) sometimes interfere with functions and i find these two scripts help), and icono/iconsesame, which should make it easier to customize your icons, mime types and file labeling), some custom configs for the urxvt terminal…) and takes the recommended add-ins out (see nwprecs1 and nwprecs2, which add folders by those names in /root. included in each is an install and a remove script, the contents of which are shown below). nwp8 also includes the improvements made to the mcc (make concurrent copies (and optionally label them) utility: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=102846 ).

nwprecs1:

petget ./deb2pet.rpm2pet-0.0.4.pet
petget ./debbi-1.1.pet
petget ./easypackage-0.1.pet
petget ./extract_all_debs_1.0.pet
petget ./Extract-makepet-1.0.pet
petget ./gnewpet-6.5.pet
petget ./multirename-1.8.pet
petget ./mydbox-1.2_noarch.pet
petget ./PaDS-1.0.4.pet
petget ./pArchive-2.1.pet
petget ./peekapet-1.3.pet
petget ./Pet_Maker-2.3.pet
petget ./pets2sfsgui-1.4.pet
petget ./pup-advert-blocker-0.3b-woofce.pet
petget ./PupClockset-2.5.pet
petget ./PupControl-3.1.1.pet
petget ./Right-click-6.9.8.pet
petget ./sfs2pet-20121001.pet
petget ./swapfilemanager-4.6.pet
petget ./tas-1.13.pet
petget ./uextract-3.25.pet
petget ./unrpm.pet
petget ./xbindkeys-1.8.3.pet
petget ./xbindkeys-config-0.1.3-3.pet

rm -f ./deb2pet.rpm2pet-0.0.4.pet
rm -f ./debbi-1.1.pet
rm -f ./easypackage-0.1.pet
rm -f ./extract_all_debs_1.0.pet
rm -f ./Extract-makepet-1.0.pet
rm -f ./gnewpet-6.5.pet
rm -f ./multirename-1.8.pet
rm -f ./mydbox-1.2_noarch.pet
rm -f ./PaDS-1.0.4.pet
rm -f ./pArchive-2.1.pet
rm -f ./peekapet-1.3.pet
rm -f ./Pet_Maker-2.3.pet
rm -f ./pets2sfsgui-1.4.pet
rm -f ./pup-advert-blocker-0.3b-woofce.pet
rm -f ./PupClockset-2.5.pet
rm -f ./PupControl-3.1.1.pet
rm -f ./Right-click-6.9.8.pet
rm -f ./sfs2pet-20121001.pet
rm -f ./swapfilemanager-4.6.pet
rm -f ./tas-1.13.pet
rm -f ./uextract-3.25.pet
rm -f ./unrpm.pet
rm -f ./xbindkeys-1.8.3.pet
rm -f ./xbindkeys-config-0.1.3-3.pet

---------------------------------------------
nwprecs2 remove and install:

rm -f ./ ./AFI-1.0.6.pet
rm -f ./ ./f2fs-installer-0.1.2.pet
rm -f ./ ./getflash-1.6.pet
rm -f ./ ./get_java-1.0.1.pet
rm -f ./ ./grub4dos-0.4.4.v1.9.2.pet
rm -f ./ ./GTK_Theme_Maker-2.1.pet
rm -f ./ ./javaif-20160616.pet
rm -f ./ ./jwmthememaker-2.2.pet
rm -f ./ ./mswebfonts_525.pet
rm -f ./ ./pminstaller.pet
rm -f ./ ./python-2.7.pet
rm -f ./ ./sfsinstaller-1.3.pet
rm -f ./ ./sfs_load-2.4.pet
rm -f ./ ./SimplePythonHTTPServer-1.1.pet
rm -f ./ ./tree-1.6.0-i486-1.txz
rm -f ./ ./treesize-0.54.1.pet
rm -f ./ ./UnPet-0.6.pet
rm -f ./ ./youtube-dl
rm -f ./ ./youtubedl-gui-0.1.pet

petget ./AFI-1.0.6.pet
petget ./f2fs-installer-0.1.2.pet
petget ./getflash-1.6.pet
petget ./get_java-1.0.1.pet
petget ./grub4dos-0.4.4.v1.9.2.pet
petget ./GTK_Theme_Maker-2.1.pet
petget ./javaif-20160616.pet
petget ./jwmthememaker-2.2.pet
petget ./mswebfonts_525.pet
petget ./pminstaller.pet
petget ./python-2.7.pet
petget ./sfsinstaller-1.3.pet
petget ./sfs_load-2.4.pet
petget ./SimplePythonHTTPServer-1.1.pet
petget ./tree-1.6.0-i486-1.txz
petget ./treesize-0.54.1.pet
petget ./UnPet-0.6.pet
petget ./youtube-dl
petget ./youtubedl-gui-0.1.pet

pm installer is already part of the nwp (i should've removed it). thanks to aragon, radky, RSH, SFR, rerwin, don570, 01micko, Barry Kauler, shinobar, trio, rcrsn51, disciple, technosaurus, step, musher0, Geoffrey, Corvus, OscarTalks, mavrothal, gyro, watchdog, MochiMoppel, peebee, Whitesnow, 666philb,...

clicking the install script will give you a popup asking you if you want to install each item. the remove script just empties its respective folder of the pets.

_____

pets are down to about 8mb. version 7 (slightly more busy root1/left click menu) also comes as an SFS (same 3 variations).

----

pdogfellow 12/16

it is what it does, so see launcher shortcuts and keyboard shortcuts for (perhaps) a better idea.

(barring that, it uses short commands, the keys, screen artifacts (stuff you click or activate with a mouse or finger), and/or popup menus to launch files, programs, text strings, commands (including resizing, moving, and/or reshaping windows) or mimic the menus (or select aspects thereof arranged to your tastes) of more or less any programs you choose, in a way better suited to you and your habits than stock/default…---; use a minimalistic or limited text editor plus a browser as a full word processor, have nine more menus than most stock jwm pup setups, and for my part, i'd so much rather have it than not that i document all the changes i make to it and make sure it's available to me as soon as i fire up a new pup (often i use woofy to install it before i actually boot a pup for the first time, which is incidentally the original reason for the external pet installs--don's right click package and Whitesnow's (oops, thanks, Whitesnow--big omission (now fixed)--your dropbox package is awesome--been using it for pretty much as long as i've been using puppy/linux--it's much better than what i tried to put together for megasync (though, granted, you know what you're doing and i'm a noob (NWP--Noob's Word Processor/Ultimatesque Utility Pack)) mydbox require choices that are better left unautomated; this will turn out to be easier to upgrade for future builds anyway so no real setback...)--so much for brevity.

{this:
pharmacology and programming...and psych lab, i'm guessing…(interdisciplinary academia--i'm count curricula (,shae).
i'm guessing could be cut...would make the "from" that starts this off a bit more accurate...)
}

___

p.dogfellow (later the same day).

---------------------

the custom root2 menu (exists also as a submenu/sample template on 0 and 9) requires some additional plugins over base pup. i mostly use geany 125 and 127, the latter my only 32 bit version going at the moment. the folders containing the geany plugins (and/or geany; upgrade precise (this and the 125 plugins courtesy of Corvus) from 123 to 125, which is why the 32 version is so much larger) contain scripts similar to those for the rec'd pet installs:

#!/bin/sh
#install these plugins-125-64
#nwp's root2 menu only requires first two
petget ./geany-plugin-extrasel_1.25+dfsg-1_amd64.deb
petget ./geany-plugin-spellcheck_1.25+dfsg-1_amd64.deb
petget ./geany-plugin-macro_1.25+dfsg-1_amd64.deb
petget ./geany-plugin-markdown_1.25+dfsg-1_amd64.deb
petget ./geany-plugin-miniscript_1.25+dfsg-1_amd64.deb
petget ./geany-plugin-multiterm_1.25+dfsg-1_amd64.deb
petget ./geany-plugin-numberedbookmarks_1.25+dfsg-1_amd64.deb
petget ./geany-plugin-overview_1.25+dfsg-1_amd64.deb
petget ./geany-plugin-pairtaghighlighter_1.25+dfsg-1_amd64.deb
petget ./geany-plugin-prettyprinter_1.25+dfsg-1_amd64.deb
petget ./geany-plugin-shiftcolumn_1.25+dfsg-1_amd64.deb
petget ./geany-plugin-xmlsnippets_1.25+dfsg-1_amd64.deb

#!/bin/sh
#nwp's root2 menu only requires first three
petget ./geany-plugin-spellcheck_1.27+dfsg-2.pet
petget ./geany-plugin-treebrowser_1.27+dfsg-2.pet
petget ./geany-plugin-extrasel_1.27+dfsg-2.pet
petget ./geany-plugin-multiterm_1.27+dfsg-2.pet
petget ./geany-plugin-overview_1.27+dfsg-2.pet
#install these plugins-127-32

#!/bin/sh
petget ./geany-plugins-1.25-i686.pet
petget ./geany-1.25-i686.pet
petget ./geany_DOC-1.25-i686.pet
#install-125+plugins

___

yet to be addressed:

alternate file system and navigation in general (keep out of root, make it easier to find and link to your stuff across pups)
the virtual keypad(s) (relates in part back to the custom program menus on some of the jwm and aemenu popus…)
settings, file, and config porting/backup (see /nwp/pet folder, the links above, or the main support thread for more. there's also a bit of it now as part of the rox right click menu.)
panel frame and pinboard switching
the vtg (part of the nwp (noop) installation. link is (was) to
Geany as Launcher, Bookmarks Manager, and Word Processor
open programs, files, folders and web sites; reshape and resize windows; process words
)
lpx...
(...no point in making this as long as the support threads--launcher shortcuts file explains much of it and keyboard and menu config files are heavily commented)...

________

about a month ago i said i'd have a redone from scratch precise spin. i don't (other things got in the way), but i do miss my precise install (still not sure if i should make 11t or 5p to replace the x7 that's not running audio without missing a beat (codecs missing) or eating swap space (audacious can play (but not mp4, flv) without the problem; deadbeef and vlc suffer from the problem, but can play just about anything until the stuttering and freezing kick in. that is, on my installation; to my knowledge, no one else has reported the problem).

so, no new ~572.15 (or ~572.14.1 or p575.1, or p5/6p (check the p6 wall paper for the 5, 6, boomerang, rock star with fist raised hybrid thingie) or approximatic'd precise spin for now, but i have reupped (thanks to ally's repo--was gone from mine (cloud and hardware) for a time) the 573_no_abi(.)iso that started all the precise spins from the ~572.14 thread (p575 was the name of one of the first, nearly semi-polished versions), and that plus recs1, recs2, and recs5p will give most of the basis for a version you can precustomize (cut out things before they go in, add things with the first (re)build…). compressed recs folder for precise has the same click to install script for the following (bash, dbus (for dropbox), and libgtk (for modern firefoxes) are the bare minimum i'd suggest. also the firewall and ssl upgrades, i guess. everything else (just about) is more for function than security or epoch-meshing (i think a pup in use today should be able to run a modern firefox, libreoffice, and dropbox, but i suppose you could do without any or all).

install script/contents of recs5p:

petget ./bash-4.3.30-1.pet 
#petget ./CamPhoneTab-1.6.pet 
#petget ./CamPhoneTab_Hotplug-1.1.pet 
#see [url]http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=881561#881561[/url]. i can't test at the moment and for the foreseeable (not sure when i'll get around to replacing my phone and/or the apparently faulty SD card it's carrying). one version of the recs had this added afterward (i saw an update was available) and so it gets left out of the install script and  left behind after the removal script runs. it asks you for interaction (beyond the yes or no for the other pets--plug in your device, unplug your device--think that's it (many pets going at the same time in woofy)). it's in development (not all hardware can use it?), and other packages are discussed. again, see thread for more (but i like rcrsn's stuff in general and would like to include something like this in whatever 32 or 64 bit spins i make in the future (not sure when or if i'll i'll get around to trying woof-ce. right now i just want replacements for what's running on an old asus netbook and a new dell laptop (xenial almost-spins (32 and 64 bit, the latter having just crapped out (long drop box update and a hasty shutoff and running zensound for about five days with the lid closed (construction next door))...have some new flash drives, so maybe a quirky, 5p, and 11t to compare on with 6t4 on one of the machine's running it (pruned some old installations and am about to make new backups/go-tos).
petget ./dbus-1.8.12_i686.pet #another one from Whitesnow
petget ./deb2pet.rpm2pet-0.0.4.pet 
petget ./debbi-1.1.pet 
petget ./dillo-3.0.5-precise.pet 
petget ./easypackage-0.1.pet 
petget ./extract_all_debs_1.0.pet 
petget ./Extract-makepet-1.0.pet 
petget ./Extract-pet-20160911.pet 
petget ./f2fs-installer-0.1.2.pet 
petget ./firewall_ng-p4.pet 
petget ./focuswriter-1.5.5-i686.pet 
petget ./getflash-1.6.pet 
petget ./gnome-mplayer-1.0.9-precise.pet 
petget ./guvcview-1.5.3.pet 
petget ./img2pdf_tahrpup-1.1.pet 
petget ./libgtk-3-0_3.4.2-0ubuntu0.9_i386.deb 
petget ./lxtask_0.1.4-3.1ubuntu1_i386.deb 
petget ./mkwallpaper-gui-2.3_32Bit.pet 
petget ./moblin_stark-1.1.pet 
petget ./network_roxapp-0.8-1-utf8.pet 
petget ./openssl-1.0.2j-w5-i486.pet 
petget ./openvpn-2.3.14-precise.pet 
petget ./packit-1.15.pet 
petget ./parcellite_1.1.9-1_i386.deb 
petget ./pArchive-2.1.pet 
petget ./partview-2016.pet 
petget ./peasyglue-1.9.pet 
petget ./peasypdf-3.6.pet 
petget ./peasyscale-1.9.pet 
petget ./peasyscan-2.9.pet 
petget ./peasyscan_pdf_plugin-1.3.pet 
petget ./petget-20120418.pet 
petget ./pic2txt-1.3.pet 
petget ./pup-advert-blocker-0.5b.pet 
petget ./python-2.7.pet 
petget ./quickpet_precise-2.pet 
petget ./roxterm_1.22.2-1.pet 
petget ./sakura-2.3.8.pet 
petget ./tree-1.6.0-i486-1.txz 
petget ./treesize-0.54.1.pet 
petget ./uextract-3.25.pet 
petget ./urxvt-9.21_man.pet 
petget ./urxvt-9.21_PrecisePup-5.4.3.pet 
petget ./UrxvtControl-1.1.pet 
petget ./vte-0.22.5.pet 
petget ./Xournal_Puppy-0.4.8.pet 
petget ./xpad-4.0.pet 
petget ./xzpet_installpkg-20160911-precise.pet 
petget ./yad_0.33.1-slk56.pet 
petget ./zarfy-0.1.0-i486.pet 
petget ./zensound-0.2b.pet

that's most of the necessities to make the base an approximatic spin. just add recoll (also in this folder--earlier versions had 113, this time around i'd try the same 117 i plan on using for 11t (6t4 uses the 64 bit version of it. couldn't get recoll to run on xenial64, but 121 is running on x7/"x7")) and its deps and helpers (folders contain all, but one helper (mutagen) for the 64 bit spin is the same as the one for the 32 bit spin and is not duplicated (though a few others may fit that category and in fact appear in both places). add/remove packages and alter the install script to reflect custom choices for future installations (or delete the whole thing when you're done. sometimes it's convenient, sometimes it's not. usually a combo).

regarding 573_n0abi and the primordial spins:

the original thread at some point (added things ala strata after a bit) started out with:
they start as precise 5.7.1 patched to 5.7.2, which gives them save folder functionality [mavrothal and gyro], fixes the bash problem, and updates the sfs load program to shinobar's latest (2.3). i replaced the unstable abiword with ted, even though you could get formatted text from notecase and just use google docs to turn it into odt, doc, docx, etc. i left in seamonkey for similar reasons and because of Barry Kauler's affinity for it. also removed were osmo, planner, rubix, and emeraldia or whatever it was called. p573 adds the following:
Quote:
--
I'm not sure how many of those packages have been removed beyond abiword (there may have been one more alteration to the base before i began to crank the variations out), but i know neither 573_noabi.iso nor the recs packages contain the additional file managers (spacefm and pcman--thing was designed to be robust/with the idea that things would break 9i would break them) and it would be better if that didn't matter) or ted. spacefm (http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=95998 (spacefm thread, but you can grab that and pcman from the repo)) needs a symlink from /usr/share to /usr/local/share. use the remove_builtins program (i usually navigate to it via the applications (sorry, didn't capitalize it there either) item on the right click menu) to remove whatever you like, but keep in mind that Barry's original T2-compiled apps are very tiny for what they are (and some were apparently small to begin with--removing seamonkey (the whole suite--composer, browser, chat, mail), the games mentioned above, and abiword i think saved less than 25 megabytes off the main sfs. ted is lighter than abi, but i prefer either Roughdraft (under wine) or, better still, at least under Linux, and just as light, at least in the approximatics, Focuswriter (2.5 mb in precise spins that use Recoll and/or something else i've added incidentally that also takes care of the majority of the up to 9-12 megabytes or so of dependencies).

the mega--p,t,u,x(1204debndep).tar.xz packages (https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByUDhE ... sp=sharing) available one folder out (and in the browsers, internet, (etc) folder) work for precise and apparently many other 32 bit pups (http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=97629), but have been problematic/inconsistent for me in 64bit. they (and their deps) are another oversight and should have been in the precise-to-approximatic pack.

some older screenshots (ae and jwm popup menus, the p5/6 wallpaper i mentioned earlier…) and links to pcman and spacefm:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 621#904621

other known issues: the wmctrl close all instances scripts don't work in 64bit, two or three tray settings could use some tweaking (will be part of the update script from .6 (6t4 plus update1) to .9)...you may have to reinstall xdotool through your PPM if using 64 bit (generally if alt+arrow squirts your window across the screen, the xdotool that came over with the pet's okay. next step would be to test some of the autotext scripts in the launcher (i usually test with scz ("make this text file a script", i.e. it autotexts out (tada! (if you're watching me write this live)) #!/bin/sh) in the launcher)).

seems i forgot to add woofy to the recs as well:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 229#429229
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByUDhE ... sp=sharing

(woofy-0.91.pet mirrored in the mostly_common_32 folder/thanks to sc0ttman)

i had been manually adding the configs, folders, and files that comprise the nwp pets, then resquashing the file system, but it turns out making pets and then installing them through woofy is for the most part easier (same goes for manually reconfiguring a running pup--using pets for the new files and configs (and optionally activating what's generally just a few simple copy and backup scripts--the pinstall.sh(punistall.sh) script(s) and whatever, if anything, it (they) call (calls--last of parentheticalling out the uninstall part of the combo--good practice suggests you fill it with the countermeasures to your install script and pet installation, but i view the nwp as concrete with regards to its place in respins so am a bit remiss with this, the rather large (and apparently functioning) uninstall scripts circa nwp32/64.4 that you can find in the main nwp thread (and postdated pets) notwithstanding) is easier than repeating the process for each installation/update).

some more on pinstall/uninstall in general and as it relates to nwp installation, configuring, and removal:

Puppus Dogfellow

PostPosted: Sat 27 Aug 2016, 02:33 Post subject: update simplifies installation, customization, portability
Subject description: (your original configs become my39 in the launcher--full nwp and functions by default.
(but you can now uninstall aspects of it individually through the piecemeal submenu on mae (launcher code or in your applications folder) or the scripts in /nwp/c)
from minor nwp update (two lines on the pinstall script that lead
into this how-to on the jwm configuration quickswitches:
Quote:

nwp-6t4.1.pet
nwp32.3.2.pet
nwp64.3.2.pet

only changes since the last batch are an update of the elp help file and the following two lines added to the pinstall scripts (that activate after the pet installation moves in the files you're adding to your system):
Code:

cp -f /root/.jwm/jwmrc-personal /nwp/root3/root39menu/jwmrc-personal
cp -f /etc/xdg/templates/_root_.jwmrc /nwp/root3/root39menu/_root_.jwmrc    

these lines make your current jwm configuration (current as of the time of this nwp.pet install) your my39 quickswitch (i.e. "my39" in the launcher activates that particular set of configuration files); my39r reverses it, but only to the previous configuration. this is to say, installing, playing around with the configuration switches, and then getting back to your preinstall config while leaving the rest of the functions in tact may lead to some unfortunate backtracking--making the originals a quickswitch avoids any headaches and brings up a point about customizing your own (or sets of your own) wm features--anything you do to the contents of the root#menus folders in /nwp/root3 and their associated files will stick as a quickswitch and the feature mod (the tray, key, and menu config files for the nine extra menus (x3), the 6 keycentric configs, the thirty or so trays are all there) will be a part of the swapped in customizations, but you must mod the files in nwp/root3/, not the ones in their system-active places in root/.jwm and /etc/xdg/templates to make them portable (though you could always run the above two lines adjusted to the destination folder of your choice (or drag and drop manually--rl in the launcher then c gets you there...there's a keycut...my guess is alt plus j...(woo hoo)(rung is h for keys launcher, j for rox launcher, k for geany, l for leafpad)...---make changes, restart jwm to see if you like them, copy them to those folders in nwp/root3 if you want to make them swappable. the new menus on scroll up and down and mae (ae menu launched by that code in main launcher) have the quickswitches plus links to edit or activate the keys, trays, menus, etc. you can edit the files to include menus from elsewhere, but all the presets are fed from that folder. make a file of the above repeated for menus30-49 and you could vtg in your current settings at any time with a click of the cauliflower (etc).

from http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 289#920289, a post in A NWP/A NWPUS--A Nooby Word Processor and Utilities Suite (http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 270#850270).

(installation and removal still as above). 64 bit does all the tweaks automatically, 32 bit has you activate the geany and rox tweaks separately.)
--------------------------

links formatted for (my) later/eventual forum posting (though i thought i'd document and do that for .7):

nwp32.8ns.pet

nwp32.8.pet

nwp64.8.pet

nwprecs2.pet

nwprecs1.pet

recs5p.xz

geany4nwp-125,7-32.tar.xz

geany-nwp-plugins-64-125.tar.xz

p573-no_abi.iso

____

for more on customizing your JWM setup, see Joe's site and/or the thread that bore the thread that hosts/develops the spins (and the nwp/vtg combo--their threads are more or less updates/announcements):

Add A JWM Bookmarks Menu or Submenu/Messing Around With JWM
button, menu, key, and tray tweaking

____

{
where things are, where it's at (,or maybe just what it is)
updates to the nwp and the workshop folder

(the forum post will have better links so i'll copy/paste that back here as an improved version of the original).
}

eventually i became familiar enough with Puppy Linux that hours of customization and tinkering became portable and one click installable--most of the delays with spin making come from keeping the system generic enough to (re)offer the public (the nwp is the approximatic). anyway, here's a link to the main, as yet unupdated nwp (A Noob's Word Processor/Ultimatesque Utilities (UU/W) Pack(/NWP/nwp/noop/anubis/anuupus/,etc)) thread:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 270#850270

NWP/A NWPUS--A Noob's Word Processor and Utilities Suite
nwp32/64.8

this is the thread (which will eventually be) formerly known as

A NWP/A NWPUS--A Nooby Word Processor and Utilities Suite
robust, extensible, and superseded in ministrosity by pu(/)up!

--------------
posts starting midway down the linked page give a decent overview (including the launcher and keyboard codes minus what's mentioned at the start of this document):

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 471#918471

will update the quick links and repost the updated launcher codes and keyboard stuff before the next release. new nwp cleans up the left click menu the same as the earlier firefox pet. when nwp.9 comes out i'll offer a patch pet for whatever the last version of 6t4 is at the time (other spins should just (back up your customizations or personal files first) reinstall the newer nwp over the older one (your old nwp configs will get ported by the new one, but personal files stored in the nwp file system should probably be petted or otherwise backed up when installing a new one. same goes for any scripts you've altered).

Puppus Dogfellow

libreoffice updates for 32 and 64 bit

#215 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

LibreOffice-5.2.4_en-US_xz.sfs

LibreOffice-5.2.4_en-US_xz.pet

LibreOffice-5.2.4_64_en-US_xz.pet

LibreOffice-5.2.4_64_en-US_xz.sfs

enter the following in a terminal to fix the icon scripts:

echo $'#!/bin/sh
#iconsesame and icono (which is a shorter call code; user should alter/differentiate them)
rox "/nwp/icons" "/nwp/keys/icons" "/nwp/root3/icons" "/usr/share/applications/icons-alt" "/nwp/mc/mcc/for other extensions and labeling/icons" "/nwp/mc/mcc/for other extensions and labeling/icons" "/root/.config/rox.sourceforge.net/MIME-icons/"
' > /nwp/iconsesame
chmod 755 /nwp/iconsesame

echo $'#!/bin/sh
#iconsesame and icono (which is a shorter call code; user should alter/differentiate them)
rox "/nwp/icons" "/nwp/keys/icons" "/nwp/root3/icons" "/usr/share/applications/icons-alt" "/nwp/mc/mcc/for other extensions and labeling/icons" "/nwp/mc/mcc/for other extensions and labeling/icons" "/root/.config/rox.sourceforge.net/MIME-icons/"
' > /nwp/icono
chmod 755 /nwp/icono

i'll probably make a small fix pet that includes the above, a fix for the missing anubis/anwpus icon (you can grab one of four versions from the support folder in the meantime if you like), the improved root one menu, and whatever permission errors i can track down before i release the next nwp.

using nwp8, i had to reinstall xdotool on a pristine tahr64-605 (so you may have to as well--it was there, it should have worked, ...

anyway, the ppm wouldn't download it so i grabbed it from another instance (of 6t4, but close enough) and hosted it in the libs and utilites folder:

xdotool-tahr64
)
-----

no sound from 6t4/tahr64-605 on an i3 dell...

Puppus Dogfellow

browser and word processor updates

#216 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

the interface on OscarTalk's sakura-2.4.2-i486-w5.pet is a little different than the one sk in the launcher pops up in the precise spins, but now x7 (and likely 11t("11t"--since it's more a kit than a release than even x7) and u6, though i haven't tested it--it was made for wary so should work in most 32bit pups) and 6t4 can use that included launcher shortcut and the sakura terminal. the right click pop up menu (including copy and paste and all customizations) may be preferable to some than the middle click and highlight paste-copy of urxvt/rxvt. to change the terminal that pops up when t is entered in the nwp launcher (or t in the regular terminal/the launcher itself if for some reason the "/nwp/" didn't get wiped of its highlighting when shift+spacebar was pressed), use ll (double el) in the launcher and then enter t, move the hashtag from sakura to rxvt, and save the file. to do the same for the one that's the fallback for resetting the terminal (if the computer's busy, sometimes the xdotool command to sweep right doesn't get called in time and you either have to arrow right or reset (p) the terminal (t, but f is findnrun, which can usually get you what you want as well)), enter "lab" (leafpad at ..(my-apps)../bin) and then do the same thing with the hashtag.

to add a script/function to the launcher (i just added sfl to my own--"sfs-load" runs shinobar's SFS-Load-On-The-Fly, which i find myself using a lot lately), run rl, hit s, enter the command you want to run as the name of the script (eg "sfl"), add the commands to the file that opened (eg "sfs-load"), and save the file.

____

SFSes and pets for LibreOffice 5.2.5 and 5.3.0 64 and 32 bit can be found here.

sakura-2.4.2-i486-w5.pet

thanks to Mike Walshfor 64bit Slimjet13.0.3 and 64bit Iron-56

thanks to OscarTalks for 32bit Slimjet13.0.3 and 32bit Iron-56

_________
here are more convenient links to the new libreoffice packages:

LibreOffice-5.2.5_64_en-US_xz.pet
LibreOffice-5.2.5_64_en-US_xz.sfs
LibreOffice-5.3.0_64_en-US_xz.pet
LibreOffice-5.3.0_64_en-US_xz.sfs

LibreOffice-5.2.5_en-US_xz.pet
LibreOffice-5.2.5_en-US_xz.sfs
LibreOffice-5.3.0_en-US_xz.pet
LibreOffice-5.3.0_en-US_xz.sfs

Puppus Dogfellow

a couple of tips and a fix

#217 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

to add a script/function to the launcher (i just added sfl to my own--"sfs-load" runs shinobar's SFS-Load-On-The-Fly, which i find myself using a lot lately), run rl, hit s, enter the command you want to run as the name of the script (eg "sfl"), add the commands to the file that opened (eg "sfs-load"), save the file.
sfs-load should be sfs_load.

echo $'
#!/bin/sh
sfs_load
' > /nwp/sfl

chmod 755 /nwp/sfl
in a terminal or vtg'd (highlight the code in a geany document and then hit vtg, alt+z, or any of vtg entries on the jwm or aemenus. v in the launcher is also this function) will give you a working "sfl." keeping this as a template and then vtging the altered contents or dumping the code into a terminal is probably the fastest way to make little scripts and document templates. being more or less computer illiterate, i used the following cheat sheet launcher codes to make the above: scz (the #!/bin/sh gets spit out), cnt (file maker--from "echo" to the arrow, with notes on how to use it get spit out), and 7c (the chmod bit--make the file an executable script). then i either vtg'd the code or ran it in a terminal (tested four times--this is faster overall than making the script and then having to open it (rl > s method mentioned above) or launching the ll launcher, running scz, pasting in the code, saving the file, and then running the ch launcher on it. so anyway, some tips as a fix for something you may want to add to your own nwp/pwn setup.

you can grab (or double check :roll: ) program run codes from the .desktop files (most of which are in /usr/share/applications. program file(s) to run as a code should always work with the above--single quotes inside the main of the file to be created need to be escaped (i think you can also change up the single quote after the echo/before the arrow. fwiw, i find it (cnt) one of the more useful little nwp scripts/launcher shortcuts).
:)

Puppus Dogfellow

LibreOffice updates (5.3.3 for both the 32 and 64 bit spins)

#218 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

LOs:

LibreOffice-5.3.3_en-US_xz.pet
LibreOffice-5.3.3_en-US_xz.sfs
LibreOffice-5.3.3_64_en-US_xz.pet
LibreOffice-5.3.3_64_en-US_xz.sfs

_______

the python script Barry's Youtube Downloader relies on gets updated fairly frequently; dump the following into a terminal to get "utu" (you tube (downloader) updater) as a clickable script in /root/my-applications/bin. i can't seem to find the site i pulled it from (aside from the name and location and the inclusion of the command line comment-cheat, it's directly from a site i can no longer find; i think it's the same people as bring you https://sourceforge.net/projects/python ... ownloader/), but can attest it works well (or has now for the past four months at least).

echo $'
#!/bin/sh
#youtube-dl -o "/root/%(title)s" [url]
rm -f /root/my-applications/bin/youtube-dl
/usr/bin/urxvt -e wget https://yt-dl.org/downloads/latest/youtube-dl -O /root/my-applications/bin/youtube-dl
chmod a+rx /root/my-applications/bin/youtube-dl
' > /root/my-applications/bin/utu
chmod 755 /root/my-applications/bin/utu
old python script should disappear and the new one should appear in the same location as the update script. (change if your installation puts the python script elsewhere or the gui you use specifies a different location. this one should work for all the spins in this thread).

____

edit: should've searched by script name. here's the original site:
http://youtube-dl.org/
:?
Last edited by Puppus Dogfellow on Fri 26 May 2017, 23:51, edited 1 time in total.

Puppus Dogfellow

browser updates for both the 32 and 64bit spins

#219 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

32 bit Slimjet 14.0.8 and Iron 58, plus 32 and 64 bit Tor browsers from OscarTalks:
tor
slimjet32
iron32

Google Chrome 58 64-bit, Iron 58 64bit , and Slimjet 14.0.6 SFSes by Mike Walsh

tested the pet made from Mike's sfs in two 6t4 installations--one gave me a sandboxing error, so i decided to see if ETP's GetLatest64bitChromeVersionWoofQ-MK1.pet worked in the spins. it does. help/thanks file from the chrome folder in pupli repo gives some additional info:
apparently made for Barry Kauler's Quirky releases, ETP's script nevertheless works well in tahr64 and the derivatives i've tried it on (one wouldn't allow me to uninstall the older chrome as ETP suggests (ghost installation of some sort--there but no record of it) so i renamed (and later deleted) the google folder in /opt, allowing the GetLatest64bitChrome script to continue (it will warn you and close if it detects an earlier installation). puppy file systems are pretty consistent, so chrome 58 will be the last actual google-chrome package i host for the foreseeable as this should work for all the 64 bit pups and also takes care of (i.e. reinstates automatic) updates (which i think is how it runs in most places nonpuppy).

--puppus dogfellow, 5/23/17

source for script: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 360#955360

edit: rechecked ETP's post: rerun to update if you so choose--script trigger will be in the main menu under internet and as a clickable icon in /usr/share/applications.

repo links for the 64 bit:
chrome
slimjet64
iron 64
(32 and 64 bit Tor are together since Oscar makes both)

ETP's script updates the older get chrome script i snagged from him for the tahr spin (and 64 bit nwps). you lose Anubis/Anuupuus as a popup, but the new one's less intrusive than either of its predecessors (running retriever makes a return in a smaller gif).

Puppus Dogfellow

a pet to make it easier to modify your keyboard

#220 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

xmod8287.pet

the pinstall script
(

#!/bin/sh
echo $'
#!/bin/sh
xmodmap -pm > /tmp/pm-xmd; geany /tmp/pm-xmd
#open copy of modifier map in geany
' > /nwp/ktabm
chmod 755 /nwp/ktabm

echo $'
#!/bin/sh
# open copy of key table in geany
# use xev to get keycodes
xmodmap -pke > /tmp/pke-xmd; geany /tmp/pke-xmd
' > /nwp/ktab
chmod 755 /nwp/ktab

echo $'
#!/bin/sh
xmodmap -pm > /tmp/pm-xmd2; geany /tmp/pm-xmd2
#open copy of modifier map in geany
' > /root/my-applications/xmodmaps/modifiers-geany
chmod 755 /root/my-applications/xmodmaps/modifiers-geany

echo $'
#!/bin/sh
# open copy of key table in geany
# use xev to get keycodes
xmodmap -pke > /tmp/pke-xmd2; geany /tmp/pke-xmd2
' > /root/my-applications/xmodmaps/key_table-geany
chmod 755 /root/my-applications/xmodmaps/key_table-geany
)
gives you ktab and keytabm as launcher shortcuts--key_table-geany and modifier-geany in /root/my-applications/xmodmaps give you the same thing but as version two: both sets open up files useful for modifying things further.

the contents of one of the xmod files you have the option of using, 84xmod, shows the basic template of the four and, like the rest, has more comments than commands:
! caps lock becomes mode switch, scroll lock becomes caps lock, Menu gets added as modeshift plus q
remove Lock = Caps_Lock
keycode 78 = Caps_Lock
! keycode 110 = Caps_Lock
keycode 66 = Mode_switch
add Lock = Caps_Lock
keycode 24 = q Q Menu Q q Q

! keycode 144 = Caps_Lock
! keycode 71 = F5
! keycode 72 = ISO_Level3_Shift
! keycode 153 = F6
! xmodmap -e 'keycode 21 = equal plus Menu'
! keycode 71 = Mode_switch Mode_switch Mode_switch Mode_switch
! keycode 49 = grave asciitilde grave asciitilde grave asciitilde
! keycode 9 = Escape Menu (second slot is plus shift) (plus modeshift)3 (plus shift and modeshift)4 (can't-get 5th6th2wrk)5 (iso level shift 3 plus shift)6
! possible use is to add another 24 function keys (12 on the Function row, 12 on the numbers plus -/+ row, so that shift isn't used/precluded as a modifier. getting isolevel to work would probably be a better solution...)

! (84 is 82 but with scroll lock rather than pause made caps lock; 87 is the same as 84 but without the menu key activated as mode shift plus q; all three relocate Caps_Lock and make the original key into Mode_switch
! c version makes caps lock an extra control and moves mode switch to pause (rest is same as 84))
the c version was added after the other three but was based on the earlier work at
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 943#955943, which in turn was based on the google results for xmodmap help.

in short, there are good, somewhat abbreviated mechanical keyboards available and they can be programmed in puppy fairly easily (in fairness, so can the membrane dealies, but the cherry mx clones from china are excellent and priced well). keyboards with fewer than 84 keys usually ditch the Menu key, so all the scripts with numbers below that in their names add the key to modeshift plus q. caps lock is moved to scroll lock or pause. the c version makes a larger, third control button out of the key formerly used for caps_lock. my 82 key model has no Scroll Lock or Menu, and these files are based on what works for 5 models, two of which are from the same company (Gramr and Tyrfing, 84 and 87 key respectively, are both made by Drevo). pet adds an xmodmaps folder to /root/my-applications/ that contains a reset script, an open everything in geany so you can view or edit it script, the aforementioned (shift plus spacebar) launcher shortcut codes, and four presets/build upons. (i'm thinking of making the first function layer the multimedia layer for a part of it and using those keys as mouse keys 1-5 and maybe a few launchers, so that's why you see commented out function key mods in the file. use xmodmap -e 'key = 1 2 3 4 x x' to send individual changes through the terminal.)

here's a list of keysyms you can put on your map:
http://wiki.linuxquestions.org/wiki/Lis ... by_Xmodmap

more help:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xm ... ymap_table
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xmodmap
https://linux.die.net/man/1/xmodmap

q, caps_lock, pause, and scroll all seem to be consistently named, but you should check your keys in xev and adjust if necessary. drag the run#xmod script to Startup to have them active by default, click to activate now. edit the reset script to match your layout (default's set for u.s.).

run scripts are just xmodmap (file)

works in 32 and 64 bit.

screen shots of the two folders that get added to /root/my-applications:
Attachments
xmod1.jpg
(12.07 KiB) Downloaded 765 times
xmod2.jpg
(18.41 KiB) Downloaded 754 times