Some websites seem to overload the computer

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
TechnoShaman

mmm

#21 Post by TechnoShaman »

I have an AMD e1-2100 apu with 998mhz dual core can I can watch netflix at full framerate in full hd... 8)
Maybe you should allow cookies to be set per domain,allow java per domain,disable flash,delete all possible remote access tools in your machine,reflash your bios with a new,clean version(hackers might have messed with it),clean all your cache regularly,delete all temporary files,and, on the flash side of things, reflash all your hardware with clean firmware!
:lol:
Also, check control groups, disable all protocols not needed for the web (which is pretty much everything but http and https),check your services file in /etc (and check more things over there), delete ssh if you're not using it and, most of all, get paranoid ! XD
Hope that helps... :P

Sailor Enceladus

#22 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

YES. Facebook, for instance, kills my Pentium M CPU with supermegaslowness every time. I was chatting mostly on discord lately, which is fast enough, so the Facebook lag hits me even harder recently. Think I'll switch to http://m.facebook.com or http://iphone.facebook.com because www.facebook.com is becoming a monstrosity, or newer Firefox is, or both... not sure.

LateAdopter

#23 Post by LateAdopter »

Flash wrote:So you're calling my motherboard a piece of crap? Them's fighting words. :lol:

Seriously, you were a bit terse. Could you explain a bit more?
Hello flash

I have an Athlon II X2 240 with a cheap ASrock motherboard with RS880G chipset, that I built in 2010, and I still use every day. belham2 has similar hardware, which is why I thought I would comment.
However my motherboard was the only cheap one with sideport RAM for the GPU, and I installed dual channel DDR3 1600 RAM too.
Some examples of performance deterioration since then...

One of my tests is playing back 1080 H.264 interlaced recordings with YADIF 2X deinterlacing, all in software. That has been possible from fatdog 520 and 64 bit puppies onwards, but not fatdog 710.
It's not fatdog's fault, it's VLC 2.2.x which gives lots of "frame too late to display" errors, but VLC 2.1.x is OK. It's not a kernel or ffmpeg problem because recent MPV builds are more efficient than ever.
(note: 64bit can consistently do 50% higher framerate than 32bit on this hardware)

Phoronix "upgraded" its forum software a while ago, and now the presto versions of Opera (11.62 on win2k 12.16 on fatdog) have real problems just scrolling the page, and it is just text, like this forum. Opera seems to have to redraw the whole page every time it moves it, but Vivaldi 1.9 on fatdog 710 can scroll it smoothly running on the same hardware.

I tested glamor a while ago since "accelmethod" is easily set via a .conf file, but its performance was bad compared with EXA and video playback was hopeless. I expect that AMD were considering hardware like the Trinity/Richland APUs when they decided to change the default for r600. The RS880G has 40 shaders at 500MHz while Trinity/Richland has 128 to 384 shaders running at 720MHz, so their GL performance will be about an order of magnitude better. We need to remember to override the default when it changes to glamor.

It is hard enough to get software engineers to test their code on obsolete hardware when they are being PAID to do it. I think people who develop free software are entitled to work on whatever takes their fancy, so it is inevitable that performance on older hardware will not be optimised.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#24 Post by Flash »

Thank you. :)

redandwhitestripes

#25 Post by redandwhitestripes »

It happens to me, too, but then I am using a truly ancient Compaq Presario 2500.

Mike Walsh

#26 Post by Mike Walsh »

redandwhitestripes wrote:It happens to me, too, but then I am using a truly ancient Compaq Presario 2500.
Yah, but you do have an excuse; that Mobile P4 only has SSE2's, so it's limited by that.

At least you've got a separate graphics card.....even if it's only an ATI Mobility Radeon. My old Inspiron 1100 has a desktop P4.....and the Intel 'Extreme' integrated graphics chip. Horrible device!! Image

Even so, QtWeb runs pretty well, all things considered.....

Mike. :wink:

8Geee

#27 Post by 8Geee »

I had some fun with Flash's BIG truck page...
Diamondville Atom N270 2Gb mem (DDR2-667) Eth0 at 6Mb/s

FF27: 30seconds to fully load and operate.
ABE, Better Privacy, RedirectCleaner
*** Edit: websites use their own fonts ***

FF45.8esr 120seconds to fully load and operate
AdBlockUlt only... social media links still displayed after "blocking" them explicitly. Only 19 items in ABU !!!
*** Edit: websites CANNOT use their own fonts ***

Both have same general About configs, except 45.8esr HAS to have much more falsed/disabled.

It would appear at first blush that older browsers that cannot deal with new "end-arounds" in coding are therefore "Blissfully Ignorant" and just skip over the offending code.

No monetization here, eh??

Just for grins
8Geee
Linux user #498913 "Some people need to reimagine their thinking."
"Zuckerberg: a large city inhabited by mentally challenged people."

belham2

#28 Post by belham2 »

Thanks to everyone who responded in this thread. I hadn't realized, as the change has been quite a awhile now, that I didn't use add-ons anymore. Well, a quick install of "QuickJava" and also "Ublock Origin", and things are back to being bearable. Some of these websirtes today are just atrocious with javascripts. I am talking to you, Yahoo!! No wonder you never made it off the dungpile and had to be bought---gulp---by an old telco.

8Geee

#29 Post by 8Geee »

have to agree Belham, yahoo has become the bloated infected whale that beached itself at VZ's door. There won't be any improvement... :roll:

oops... forgot... keep an eye on that UO binary file size (gdmap)... it swells.
Linux user #498913 "Some people need to reimagine their thinking."
"Zuckerberg: a large city inhabited by mentally challenged people."

noalternative

#30 Post by noalternative »

Flash wrote:Here's a website that bogged down my computer (Quirky Werewolf 64 with SeaMonkey.) Apparently, that website is dedicated to wretched excess in every possible way.
I am using the latest version of firefox on a xenial based puppy. The website loaded ok for me, but I am using native firefox tracking protection.

http://lifehacker.com/turn-on-tracking- ... 1706946166

Should work in mozilla browsers like seamonkey and pale moon too, but you may have to add the setting.

I have some late 90s era computers that need that and noscript to load some pages. Noscript puts a stop to it too.

ac2011

#31 Post by ac2011 »

8Geee wrote:I had some fun with Flash's BIG truck page
Me too: 32-bit Wary-based Puppy (2.6-series kernel) with Pale Moon 27.3 on an ancient Intel Core 2 Duo 2.33GHz laptop with 2GB RAM. Ublock Origin installed.

Page finishes loading in 9 seconds and is fully usable, though CPU use looks to be hovering around 20%.

CSS is a big issue on some sites, not just JavaScript. I agree that most web developers have completely lost the plot (I was one for almost 20 years, never did anything dumb like this) but this does also seem to be an issue for newer kernels / 64-bit systems.
Last edited by ac2011 on Tue 20 Jun 2017, 14:52, edited 1 time in total.

Moose On The Loose

#32 Post by Moose On The Loose »

ac2011 wrote: I agree that most web developers have completely lost the plot
I am sure that the "really bad web site industry" is causing quite a lot of harm to some businesses and a bit of help to others.

A case of harm:
This of you who know electronics will get way this is extra bad.
www.linearsystems.com is a maker of super low noise JFETs among other things like that. A few months back, they rolled out a new web shite. Because of a "" where a "/" belongs, you can't easily find their datasheets. Not long after they switched over, I told them about this. It is still not fixed. I am sure that other designers have used the BF862 when the ideal part would have been the LSK170 because of this. No doubt they have lost zillion and zillion of sales in just the last few months.

A case of help:
We are thinking about dropping cable.
www.nbc.com pretends to be a place where you can watch shows on line. So far no web browser I have tried has been able to make it all the way to showing the video of an episode. Right now I have Slacko running in virtual box trying to do it and showing "transferring data from ping.chartbeat.net". That is where seamonkey stopped. It is just sitting there. In other browsers, the player thing flashed now and then but never plays. The result is another month of paying for cable TV.

Javascript need not be clunky and slow.
change the name of the attached to mountains.html it renders the picture from the ground up every time a new picture is needed.
Attachments
mountains.gz
(97.14 KiB) Downloaded 85 times

belham2

#33 Post by belham2 »

Moose On The Loose wrote:A case of help:
We are thinking about dropping cable.
www.nbc.com pretends to be a place where you can watch shows on line.

How Netflix can get this so right (imho) and the media companies who still have literally $$billions in their fin'l holdings, can get this so wrong, is beyond me. This is not 2000 or 2010. It is almost 2020. Anybody at the old media giants who can't get this correct, and do it right away, should summarily be shown the retirement door.

One of the unintended rearguard actions of these media companies behavior (by idiotically throwing money where they shouldn't) is you've got people in the browser industry dedicated to making the browser do more at the consumer-end-point, hence the size of the browser keeps growing, and its slowness starts to show. They do this to attract $$$$ from these media companies. Google is guilty as crap with this, I know personally. The problem overall is not the browsers or consumer machines or even the pipes delivering it anymore (Netflix proved this is no longer an issue). The problem is not knowing how to deal content to your end users. Actually, many European cable and media and Internet companies are getting this right. As usual, the U.S. is lagging behind, again, by about a decade. Same goes for things like banking security and such, and that is scary, as things are still not perfect here.

mostly_lurking

#34 Post by mostly_lurking »

8Geee wrote:I had some fun with Flash's BIG truck page...
Diamondville Atom N270 2Gb mem (DDR2-667) Eth0 at 6Mb/s

FF27: 30seconds to fully load and operate.
ABE, Better Privacy, RedirectCleaner
*** Edit: websites use their own fonts ***

FF45.8esr 120seconds to fully load and operate
AdBlockUlt only... social media links still displayed after "blocking" them explicitly. Only 19 items in ABU !!!
*** Edit: websites CANNOT use their own fonts ***

Both have same general About configs, except 45.8esr HAS to have much more falsed/disabled.

It would appear at first blush that older browsers that cannot deal with new "end-arounds" in coding are therefore "Blissfully Ignorant" and just skip over the offending code.
Firefox 13 with Adblock Plus: 30 seconds.
Ancient Seamonkey 1 with Adblock: 15 seconds. Can't display the videos and some other things.

Yes, browsers usually ignore what they can't handle. The older the browser, the less bullsh*t it displays, and the less bloated it is. That's quite nice, as long as you don't mind looking at half-broken webpages. (I don't, and I'll probably stick with that Seamonkey browser until it really becomes unusable, or until web- and browser developers eventually return to sanity. I don't have much hope about that, though...)
Moose On The Loose wrote:Javascript need not be clunky and slow.
change the name of the attached to mountains.html it renders the picture from the ground up every time a new picture is needed.
Neat. It works well on Firefox 13, and the CPU usage is pretty low.