vivaldi browser

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
OscarTalks

#61 Post by OscarTalks »

Vivaldi is becoming my favourite Chromium derivative.
Version 1.4.589.41 now released. This introduces the default location of /usr/lib/adobe-flashplugin for libpepflashplayer.so Pepper Flash plugin library. This removes the need to specify the path and the version number in the wrapper script. Both 32bit and 64bit versions tweaked for Puppy with latest Pepper Flash added. Uploaded as .pet and .sfs packages. Menu entry and .desktop file for rox pinboard or start from terminal with the command "vivaldi". The 64bit was tested briefly in Tahr64 and Slacko64 and runs as root with adequate sandboxing. The 32bit runs in slightly older Pups like Precise and Wheezy. In tahr you could optionally introduce sandboxing by editing the wrapper script but this is not essential.
EDIT:- Pepper Flash version upgrade to 23.0.0.207 done.
https://yadi.sk/d/euoIiDRDqcFnK?force_show=1
Last edited by OscarTalks on Sun 09 Apr 2017, 20:00, edited 1 time in total.
Oscar in England

OscarTalks

#62 Post by OscarTalks »

Vivaldi 1.5 is now released.
Testing 1.5.658.44 in both 32bit and 64bit.
Pepper Flash 23.0.0.207 included.
Netflix widevinecdm included but untested.

NOTE:- the location /usr/lib/adobe-flashplugin already exists in the Puppy system as a symlink to /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins so I have to put the Pepper Flash libpepflashplayer.so at /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins in the package. That way both .pet and .sfs install and work as expected.
https://yadi.sk/d/euoIiDRDqcFnK
Oscar in England

musher0

#63 Post by musher0 »

Thanks, OscarTalks.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

OscarTalks

#64 Post by OscarTalks »

Minor update of stable Vivaldi to version 1.5.658.56
EDIT:- Pepper Flash update to 24.0.0.186
Packages re-uploaded 13 December 2016

EDIT:- 22nd December 2016
Packages updated to version 1.6.689.40
Oscar in England

quirkian2new

#65 Post by quirkian2new »

thank you, Oscar.

It works very stable in fatdog64-702

OscarTalks

#66 Post by OscarTalks »

Now testing Vivaldi 1.7.735.46 (32bit and 64bit) with the modification suggested by 666philb using bbe to enable run-as-root with sandbox and infobars enabled. (Actually I am not sure if infobars have been removed from Vivaldi anyway as the UI is extensively modified). Latest Pepper Flash appears to work. Netflix support not tested. Puppies with glibc 2.13 (eg Wheezy) or later.
Oscar in England

festus

#67 Post by festus »

OscarTalks wrote:Vivaldi is becoming my favourite Chromium derivative.
I agree too.

I'm running your, Vivaldi 1.7.735.46 32bit and (64bit on fatdog-710), and so far like it very much.

This is my first Chromium based derivative, am impressed, so I went and dl'd Slimjet and Iron to test them out.
I like them all three, but am leaning toward Vivaldi, atm.

Thanks for the browsers. :wink:

roadkill13

#68 Post by roadkill13 »

I have observed that Vivaldi takes much longer to load than chromium, opera, iron or slimjet in the 32 bit variety. Also these 4 render web pages quickly when compared to Vivaldi on my older kit using TahrPup 6.0.6. I would describe Vivaldi as sluggish.

OscarTalks

#69 Post by OscarTalks »

Vivaldi is perhaps a little slower in the initial start-up than some other browsers but once it is open and you are surfing it does not appear slow in my experience. Also I would say that recent releases appear to start a little more quickly than some of the earlier ones did.

Now testing Vivaldi 1.8.770.54
This was a minor update to the 1.8 stable release (04th April 2017)
Binary modified for run-as-root and some sandboxing using bbe
Enhanced multimedia support via latest libffmpeg.so from repo.herecura.eu
Latest Pepper Flash is in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins and is found via the symlink /usr/lib/adobe-flashplugin
Puppies with glibc-2.13 (eg Wheezy) or later.
Uploaded for experimentation (take precautions) and to invite comments (32bit and 64bit).
Last edited by OscarTalks on Sun 09 Apr 2017, 19:59, edited 1 time in total.
Oscar in England

step

#70 Post by step »

Thanks OscarTalks. The sfs works on Fatdog64-710. It even plays videos from cnn.com/videos, which my opera-developer browser can't play although it includes the same libpepflash binary that powers vivaldi.

edit: Got cnn video working for opera-developer too by adding the libffmpeg.so library.
Last edited by step on Sun 09 Apr 2017, 06:41, edited 1 time in total.
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Fatdog64-810[/url]|[url=http://goo.gl/hqZtiB]+Packages[/url]|[url=http://goo.gl/6dbEzT]Kodi[/url]|[url=http://goo.gl/JQC4Vz]gtkmenuplus[/url]

mikeslr

#71 Post by mikeslr »

Thanks OscarTalks,

1.8.770.54 64-bit SFS is working well under Tahrpup64 with 4.17 Kernel. Picked up my prior setting and bookmarks. Posting from it now. Still wish there was one 'all inclusive" bookmark manager for vivaldi or any of the Chrome spin-offs.

mikeslr

jwg

#72 Post by jwg »

Seems to be working fine with Precise Puppy 5.7.1, though pretty slow on my old Pentium 4. Still it's nice to have an up to date browser available when I need to visit one of those sites that require it. Thanks OscarTalks.

roadkill13

#73 Post by roadkill13 »

Now testing Vivaldi 1.8.770.54
This was a minor update to the 1.8 stable release (04th April 2017)
Binary modified for run-as-root and some sandboxing using bbe
Enhanced multimedia support via latest libffmpeg.so from repo.herecura.eu
Latest Pepper Flash is in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins and is found via the symlink /usr/lib/adobe-flashplugin
Puppies with glibc-2.13 (eg Wheezy) or later.
Uploaded for experimentation (take precautions) and to invite comments (32bit and 64bit).
Looks like your now testing 1.9.818.44. I decided to give Vivaldi another go once I installed Quirky 7.21 (32 bit) with f2fs file system on a high speed SD card. The OS is very quick. Iron and Slimjet are very fast. Vivaldi still takes it's time starting up but seems to have improved. Once loaded performance is very smooth.

And thank you by the way for these packages.

ICPUG

#74 Post by ICPUG »

I have been using Opera in Lighthouse Pup 5.03G for years. It has become less and less useful as time has gone on as more and more web sites have moved to html5 and structured pages to work with modern browsers. The pages of my ISP now come up blank in Opera. The Internet Archive will now only show a terms and conditions link that I cannot get past, whatever I search for. This last weekend Youtube finally stopped working with it.

I have been looking at Vivaldi to use instead. I tried using it with Lighthouse and it just didn't start so I guess I need a newer pup.

I have a query. How is the cache implemented in Vivaldi? In the old Opera you could easily find the cache folders and copy files within it to permanent storage so that you could, for example, have offline copies of videos you have watched online. I have found this impossible with Firefox based browsers since, although the cache folders are easy to find, videos are stored separately and deliberately written to deleted files so you do not know their names to copy. Does Vivaldi use the same tricks?

Thanks for any info you can give.

OscarTalks

#75 Post by OscarTalks »

Are you talking about the old Presto Opera 12.16 or earlier? There is the new Chromium based Opera but apart from the VPN feature I personally prefer Vivaldi. It is elegant and runs more sweetly in terminal than the alternatives. I get the impression the developers know their stuff. Other folk have other favourites though.

You will have to remind me what Puppy your Lighthouse is based on. If it is a Slacko you will probably need libgconf2 for Vivaldi or any of the other Chromium derivatives. My Vivaldi packages work in Slacko 5.7.0 for example provided you add that lib.

Regarding the cache, I am not sure but I think all modern browsers do some sort of data conversion or compression on the cache files so you can't just pluck them out of there.

A LITTLE LATER:-
Minor version upgrade to Vivaldi 1.9.818.49 with PepperFlash 25.0.0.171
Oscar in England

ICPUG

#76 Post by ICPUG »

Thank you for the info, OscarTalks.

Yes, the Opera in Lighthouse is the old Presto based Opera - Opera itself is version 11.1. This Lighthouse predates Slacko so you are right that I will need the libgconf2, at least - (if I knew where to find it). Otherwise I will have to use another Puppy - although I really like Lighthouse because of the tools it comes with (Conky, Wbar, Pwidgets, Wine - which I use to run portable Windows programmes with no problem at all).

Thanks once again for the info on the Vivaldi cache.

Mike Walsh

#77 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ICPUG:-

You could give this version of libgconf2 a try. It's from Oscar's 'Smokey' repo.

http://smokey01.com/OscarTalks/libgconf2-4.1.5-s14.pet

See how you get on with it. It's worked for me in several different non-Ubuntu-based Pups.

( Nice to know somebody else uses the Windows portable apps under WINE. Where d'you get yours from.....PortableApps.com? )

Mike. :wink:

davids45

Images not displaying

#78 Post by davids45 »

G'day,
Having a bad day with Vivaldi & Iron, neither displaying images from a website (of hardware store products).

Non-chrome browsers are OK as far as I have checked (e.g. chromium, palemoon).
I'm struggling to find where in Vivaldi or Iron any 'settings' or 'preferences' are that I can turn off so these mundane images will show.

A non-useful-to-me "Privacy error" message sometimes shows before the images fail to load after I close the supposed "error" message.

The screenshots below show the blank spaces with Vivaldi and Iron and what should be there (the shot from Chromium).

No other website I use has been affected so it seems a 'disagreement' of sorts between the hardware store and the two Chrome-based browsers.

Any advice on how to turn off this 'feature' in Vivaldi & Iron gratefully received.

David S.

Post-script: Erratic problem?? Images now loaded in Vivaldi for the hardware site but in a different Pup; then with a bit more browsing, up popped another 'connection not private' message, this time for amazon.com!? Is there a 'turn off the paranoia' button in Chrome/Vivaldi/Iron?
Attachments
vivaldi-message.jpg
different Pup (to other screen-shots) but same Vivaldi (sfs & profile) gives more peculiar behaviour for 'normal' sites.
(68.97 KiB) Downloaded 1173 times
chromium-imagesOK.jpg
Chromium - product images displayed; normal behaviour in other browsers non-Chrome browsers
(74.73 KiB) Downloaded 1180 times
vivaldi-empty_frames-no_images.jpg
Vivaldi - blank spaces where images of store products should appear
(68.19 KiB) Downloaded 1188 times
iron-no_images-broken_icon.jpg
Iron - empty frames where product images should be
(97.37 KiB) Downloaded 1187 times

LateAdopter

#79 Post by LateAdopter »

Hello davids45
Search on: google not-secure warning. Google announced this in September. They are putting pressure on websites to tidy-up the security aspects of their page design.
The warnings may vary as webmasters fix their errors to comply with Google's rules and browser developers may tone down the warnings or degoogle the chromium code.

EDIT There's a setting in chrome://flags to change the behaviour (or whatever your browser path URL is).

ICPUG

#80 Post by ICPUG »

Thanks, Mike, for the pointer to the library file libgconf2.

I tried it with my Lighthouse Puppy and Vivaldi still didn't work. I then tried it with Slacko (5.3.3) and it still didn't work. More investigation required.

This is why I use Portable Windows Apps under Wine! They usually work without hassle.

I get them from PortableApps.com if they have what I want. Sometimes I download from a program's website but only if I can choose an archive library option and the program will run without Windows installation.